Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of got there already, yes the majority of names in royal families can somehow be traced to a royal ages okay but not all of them.

Well, right now I can only remember of Zara Phillips...what is the meaning of the name Zara anyway? :huh: Also India Hicks. Who else ?

Well, right now I can only remember of Zara Phillips...what is the meaning of the name Zara anyway? :huh: Also India Hicks. Who else ?

India Hicks isn't royal, she's just the daughter of a Lady.

Zara means radiance.

Emma Tallulah, Leah Isadora aren't exactly traditional. Daughters of Martha-Louise of Norway.

Isabella, more modern than traditional, last person in danish history to have that name was in the 1500's.

Alexia and Ariane of Netherlands, neither has a traditional background.

Nikolai and Felix of Denmark, both because their parents liked the names.

Princess Eléonore of Belgium & Prince Emmanuel of Belgium not traditional was chosen because he fitted the el names of the other children.

Jadwiga...welcome to the The Royal Forums.

I love your avatar...who is it?

Isabella was apparently named after Isabella of Austria consort to King Christian II.
But IMO the name is more modern than traditional, it was the 16th most popular name in 2007.

Indeed. Isabella is one of those very old, well-established names which have become extremely popular throughout the West over the last decade. I, too, recall Mary's saying that her daughter was named after Isabella of Austria.

I'm still opting for names which will take us unaware, as did Isabella. I can still remember the gasps of surprise at the princess's Christening.

Jadwiga...welcome to the The Royal Forums.

I love your avatar...who is it?

Thanks for welcoming me to this site! Avatar is a portrait of Isabelle de Bourbon, the second wife of duke Charles of Burgundy and the mother of Marie, heiress of Burgundy. I am the Middle Ages fan :)

How about the name Alexandra after Alexandra of Denmark? I know some people have said it might not be a good idea bc Joachim's ex wife's name is Alexandra but it's a beautiful name. Maybe one of her middle names could be Amber after Mary's best friend? I'm hoping it's girls- there are already 4 boys in the family- Isabella needs some females around her other than her mom, grandma and aunts.

As for godparents, they are going to need alot this time, a few per child...I think they might use:

Princess Marie (and maybe even Prince Joachim if he hasn't been used before)
Prince Daniel
Patricia Bailey (sister)
John Donaldson (brother)
Helle Reedtz-Thott
Princess Maxima (is she godparent to C or I already?)
Princess Marthe-Louise

If she uses Patricia and John, all siblings get an 'allocated' godchild...Jane is already Isabella's...She will probably want new members of the royal family to be included, like Marie and Daniel...And she will probably want some unconventional royals, like Marthe-Louise, to be used, because as children #3 & 4 they might have to find other avenues of endeavour, rather than just 'waiting for the throne' like Christian, and to a lesser extent, Isabella...And lastly, dear and loyal friends, like Maxima and Helle, rather than influential royal contacts, that Christian has...

Amber Petty will never be asked or used, because I am cynical about the role of godparents, I think their role is to offer something to the royal family in return for that special relationship...I don't think Amber has anything to offer the family...Yes, her and Mary are old friends, but you can be a friend but not necessarily a godparent...

Girls: Charlotte and Amalie
Boys: Alexander and Erik
One of each Alexander and Charlotte
Amalie and Erik

As for godparents, they are going to need alot this time, a few per child...I think they might use:

Princess Marie (and maybe even Prince Joachim if he hasn't been used before)
Prince Daniel
Patricia Bailey (sister)
John Donaldson (brother)
Helle Reedtz-Thott
Princess Maxima (is she godparent to C or I already?)
Princess Marthe-Louise

If she uses Patricia and John, all siblings get an 'allocated' godchild...Jane is already Isabella's...She will probably want new members of the royal family to be included, like Marie and Daniel...And she will probably want some unconventional royals, like Marthe-Louise, to be used, because as children #3 & 4 they might have to find other avenues of endeavour, rather than just 'waiting for the throne' like Christian, and to a lesser extent, Isabella...And lastly, dear and loyal friends, like Maxima and Helle, rather than influential royal contacts, that Christian has...

Amber Petty will never be asked or used, because I am cynical about the role of godparents, I think their role is to offer something to the royal family in return for that special relationship...I don't think Amber has anything to offer the family...Yes, her and Mary are old friends, but you can be a friend but not necessarily a godparent...

Prince Joachim is godfather to Christian, and Jane Stephens is godmother to Christian not Isabella.

You keep saying she, you must mean Mary, but doesn't Frederik get a say in his childresn godparents? :)

It's strange to keep seeing Prince Daniel's name pop up on the list.

I don't see why they should avoid the name Alexandrine, the beautiful and very regal name of the Queen's grandmother. The babies' ex-aunt by marriage has a similar name - so what? I wouldn't find anything awkward about naming a girl Alexandrine or a boy Alexander. But would they? :ermm:

I don't see why they should avoid the name Alexandrine, the beautiful and very regal name of the Queen's grandmother. The babies' ex-aunt by marriage has a similar name - so what? I wouldn't find anything awkward about naming a girl Alexandrine or a boy Alexander. But would they? :ermm:
But Mary's nephew is already called Alexander. So it is already used.

But Mary's nephew is already called Alexander. So it is already used.

Mary's nephew ? You mean her sister's/brother's son ? Well, I don't wanna say anything unpolite or even underestimate Crown Princess but in cases when commoner enters into royal family who cares about the names of her/his family members? :ermm:

Mary's nephew ? You mean her sister's/brother's son ? Well, I don't wanna say anything unpolite or even underestimate Crown Princess but in cases when commoner enters into royal family who cares about the names of her/his family members? :ermm:

Mary cares, I think. And I'm sure she doesn't want her own kids having the same name than her nephew.

And what is this royal family/commoner thing meaning? For Mary and Fred her family for sure is just as important than his. They're worth just as much, so I'm absolutely sure if any name is already occupied by one of her siblings kids they won't name their kids XY or XYZ.

Mary cares, I think. And I'm sure she doesn't want her own kids having the same name than her nephew.

And what is this royal family/commoner thing meaning? For Mary and Fred her family for sure is just as important than his. They're worth just as much, so I'm absolutely sure if any name is already occupied by one of her siblings kids they won't name their kids XY or XYZ.

I agree it would be a little strange to have a child with the same name as her nephew...but for the rest of what you wrote here I only can say one thing...Mary no one would be interested if she had not married Crown Prince of Denmark. Besides, the difference between royalty and commoners is the main reason why are we all here.

Mary cares, I think. And I'm sure she doesn't want her own kids having the same name than her nephew

I think that you are absolutely right.

As far as godparents are concerned, Princess Marie is an obvious choice for me. It would be a great welcoming gesture to choose Prince Daniel as well.

First of all I am in shock it's twins!

I was thinking that we might have had a pregnancy announcement next year or perhaps they have decided to have no more children...but then the announcement came and it's TWINS!!

Ok, as far as the names of the babies are concerned, I believe they will again choose nice and, of course, modern names.
First names like Knud, Thyra, Axel, Magnus, Dagmar, Alexandrine are historic for the DRF but are completely ridiculous and I will dare say, embarrassing for a child growing up in the 21st century!
I also think all Australian first names will again be excluded from the list.

I would go with Johan, Alexander or Philipp for a boy and with Emma, Helene, perhaps Stephanie or Sophie for a girl. But that's what I think. I guess the names of the babies will surprise as just like it happened with Isabella.

As for godparents, I think Princess Marie and one or two of Mary's siblings will definitely be included, along with Prince Nikolaos or Tatiana Blatnik, Prince Daniel perhaps. Maybe Crown Prince Willem Alexander also and Martha Louise of Norway. And of course at least 3 of Mary and Frederik's closest friends.
It would be lovely to see Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix being godfathers to their little cousins! Don't you agree?:wub:

I think that you are absolutely right.

As far as godparents are concerned, Princess Marie is an obvious choice for me. It would be a great welcoming gesture to choose Prince Daniel as well.

I agree with you completely:lol:

Why not name their possible future son Alexander if they want to? I don't think it's a bad choice just because one of Mary's nephews has the same name. They won't bare the same last name nor will they be the same age. My brother and my first cousin bare the same first name and they totally enjoy it!!

After all both Mary's nephew and her possible future son are different persons! They won't steal the name of her nephew, they might just want their son to share this name with her nephew, which I believe it's not at all bad.

First names like Knud, Thyra, Axel, Magnus, Dagmar, Alexandrine are historic for the DRF but are completely ridiculous and I will dare say, embarrassing for a child growing up in the 21st century!

Norwegian future King and Queen obviously did not think so...And Sverre Magnus will be king also in 21. century! And what about Haakon, the name drawn straightly from the medieval darkness :D

Sverre Magnus won't be king after Haakon. Norway has adopted equal primogeniture, so the ruler after King Haakon VIII would be Queen Ingrid.

Norwegian future King and Queen obviously did not think so...And Sverre Magnus will be king also in 21. century! And what about Haakon, the name drawn straight from the medival darkness :D

Well I said FIRST names and it's only my opinion!! Magnus maybe is fine, but Knud it's a good name for a dog not a child!! But AGAIN that's only my opinion.

And Sverre Magnus won't be king, because his older sister Ingrid Alexandra will be due to the absolute cognatic primogeniture rule in Norway since 1990.

Sverre Magnus won't be king after Haakon. Norway has adopted equal primogeniture, so the ruler after King Haakon VIII would be Queen Ingrid.

You're right, I totally forgot about it...but he will still be someone who has a horrible old stylish name :)

You're right, I totally forgot about it...but he will still be someone who has a horrible old stylish name :)
Was this ironic? If yes I will again say that it is just my opinion!!;)

:previous:

Knud would be lovely but the rest of the names sound a bit too German. Are the names Franz and Otto used in Sweden? Pardon my ignorance :flowers:

I think they will check the danish royal family tree for inspiration as they did for their other children.
My suggestions for girls are Adelie, Helena, Charlotte, Caroline and Thyra.
For boys I like Flemming, Gustav and Oscar.

And i think Maxima will be one of the godmothers. They choose Mette-Marit and Victoria for Christian and Mathilde for Isabella. From the pictures at Victoria's wedding, they seemed pretty close with Maxima.

Thyra Renée Patricia Marie
Andre Frederick Aurthur Stuart

xenia marie patricia jane
alexander frederik joaquim andre

Why not name their possible future son Alexander if they want to? I don't think it's a bad choice just because one of Mary's nephews has the same name. They won't bare the same last name nor will they be the same age. My brother and my first cousin bare the same first name and they totally enjoy it!!

After all both Mary's nephew and her possible future son are different persons! They won't steal the name of her nephew, they might just want their son to share this name with her nephew, which I believe it's not at all bad.

Well, you've got another experience with same names in one family, but I think it's just plain weird, if there are two persons with the same name in one generation. Imagine the grandparents doing xmas-shopping for example:

Grandma: Do we have a present for Alexander already?
Grandpa: Which Alexander? Marys or Janes?
Grandma: Patricias.
Grandpa: Patricia doesn't have an Alexander.
Grandma: No? I thought ... oh no, ... it's just Marys and Janes sons. Not Patricias. I always get so confused. Why couldn't they have picked another name?

There are so many names in the world. It should be possible to choose a nice name that isn't already occupied. I don't say Marys nephew owns the name, but he holds it already. And Marys son (if there will be a son) should have the right to have is very own name. At least in his generation of the family.

Girls:

Charlotte, Amalia, Anna, Alice, Dagmar (is it old school in Denmark?), Clara, Mathilde, Laura

Middle names:

Elisabeth (as a middle name since there's already a Princess Elisabeth in Denmark + it's Mary's name too), Sofia, Marianne, Emma, Marie, Filippa

Boys: (Harder to find, I tried historical names, but for the last 500 years it was either Christian or Frederik and you can already rule out Christian)

Frederik, Edvard, Ulrik, Philip, Lucas, Oliver, Emil

Middle names:

Erik, Carl, Victor, Tobias, Christoffer, Valdemar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom