Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i can think of a few danish names like Preben(good fotballplayer in the 80ths) or Brian(also good foballplayer in teh 80ths, brother to Preben). Peter is a common name.

I think if they are twin girls they will be Ingrid and Viktoria, or Ingrid and Marie

If they are boys - I have no idea!

How about Benedikte and Anne Marie for girls.

i think princess marie is a safe bet when it comes to godparents. i also think they will choose another european crown prince or princess. it seems they have chosen victoria and mette marit already, so my guess would be maxima and letizia this time, one for each of the twins (although they are both catholic, but they picked mathilde before). caroline heering, tanja doky, carina axelsson or helle reedtz are also good bets.

How about Benedikte and Anne Marie for girls.

I have also been thinking about Benedikte for a girl, followed perhaps by Jane.
They might choose Waldemar for a boy - it's an old traditional royal name which has gained some popularity in recent years, so it would be both modern and traditional. One of Joachim's boys has Waldemar as his middle name but I don't think that would be a problem.

I have also been thinking about Benedikte for a girl, followed perhaps by Jane.
They might choose Waldemar for a boy - it's an old traditional royal name which has gained some popularity in recent years, so it would be both modern and traditional. One of Joachim's boys has Waldemar as his middle name but I don't think that would be a problem.

Christian's first middle name in Valdemar.

Well if they name the children Dagmar or Thyra or something old, I will truely feel sorry for the children when they grow up.

I have come back with some possible combos:

Matilda Dagmar Olympia Jane
Anneke Thyra Renee Patricia

Olafur Vilhelm Archibald Frederik
Harald Johan Aage Christian

Matilda Dagmar Olympia Ingrid
Oscar Harald Archibald Frederik

Basically, I would like them to include a bit of australian flavour (Matilda), few of Mary's family names (Jane, Patricia, Archibald), a name signifying where they met (Olympia) and some obscure Danish royal family names (Aage, Dagmar, Thyra), even a Icelandic dark horse (Olafur)...I have no idea and can't wait, I think because they put the world into a spin because they used John with Christian and Isabella, I think we should just expect the unexpected...

I like the idea of:
Matilda & Anneke
Matilda & Charlotte
Matilda & Olympia
Matilda & Oscar
Matilda & Olafur
Charlotte & Oscar
Charlotte & Olafur
Oscar & Harald
Olafur & Harald

I don't know. It bugs me so much that I don't know how old you have to be to be a godparent, because then I would totally go for Prince Nikolai, him & Frederik seems so close.

In lutheran churches you can be godparent, when you had your confirmation. The Confirmation is usually with 14 (or sometimes 13) years old.
So Nikolai would be ways to young.

i think they will take godparents out of their private circle (friends etc.). Already Isabella's godparents where hardly known before, besides Mathilde and Alexia. So now they might take Princess Marie and 5 friends for one twin, and Prince Daniel and 5 friends for the other twin.

I cannot image they will use something as old and clunky as Dagmar for a first name.

:previous:

Because how many people would actually know to pronounce Dagmar as "Dowmar" and not Dagmar as it is written? I know I certainly didn't before I watched the The Royal Family documentary. That would be the problem with Dagmar (they could use Thyra if they wanted to use a historical Danish name - reads much nicer)..

There is a pronunciation problem with Thyra also. Most people would pronounce it to rhymn with thyroid rather than Tewra which is the correct pronunciation. Some simple education of the press when the names are announced would be all that was needed. Yeah, sure there will be some gutter press who come up with thing like "Princess Daggy" & "Princess Thyroid" but I cannot see they would be in the majority. Look at Princess Eugenie. No one comments much about her name now and yet when she was born it was considered very old fashioned and pronounciatian went as far as Ewwww Jeanie!! :ohmy::ohmy:

There is a pronunciation problem with Thyra also. Most people would pronounce it to rhymn with thyroid rather than Tewra which is the correct pronunciation. Some simple education of the press when the names are announced would be all that was needed. Yeah, sure there will be some gutter press who come up with thing like "Princess Daggy" & "Princess Thyroid" but I cannot see they would be in the majority. Look at Princess Eugenie. No one comments much about her name now and yet when she was born it was considered very old fashioned and pronounciatian went as far as Ewwww Jeanie!! :ohmy::ohmy:
i'm totally unsecure how to pronounce this names. Is there a way of listening to the names? You tube eg?
I say "Tüüüra", "Dagmar", and "Öschenie" (french pronunciation). But that writing only works with german.

Edit: Dagmar (pronunciation by a danish) http://de.forvo.com/word/dagmar#cs
(German pronunciation is a lot more similar to the Czech one in the same link)

Eugenie in the french way: http://de.forvo.com/word/eugénie_de_montijo#fr

(from you tube) Here a Danish man says Thyra (the very first word): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2FHbtsgl4&feature=related

Im hoping its a boy & a girl

Girl names
Benedikte, Anne-Marie, Alexandra, Victoria, Ingrid or Nathalie

From a royal point of view, Queen Margarethe, on "A Royal Family" pronounces the names as Dowmar & Tewra.

i'm totally unsecure how to pronounce this names. Is there a way of listening to the names? You tube eg?
I say "Tüüüra", "Dagmar", and "Öschenie" (french pronunciation). But that writing only works with german.

Edit: Dagmar (pronunciation by a danish) Aussprache von Dagmar: Wie man Dagmar auf Dänisch, Tschechisch ausspricht
(German pronunciation is a lot more similar to the Czech one in the same link)

Eugenie in the french way: Aussprache von Eugénie de Montijo: Wie man Eugénie de Montijo auf Französisch ausspricht

(from you tube) Here a Danish man says Thyra (the very first word): YouTube - ‪Thyra Frank‬‎

Old names are actually very fashionable in Denmark, but I still don't believe that the first name is going to be Dagmar or Thyra.

Mat(h)ilda, Oscar and Nicholas are in my opinion both very international and suitable for a danish prince or princess.

I also like Louise, Magnus, Jacob, Amalie/Amélie and Marius.

Could I ask why people think Mary and Frederik are going to pick traditional names, like Thrya, Dagmar, Waldermar etc?

When they announced Isabella's name, they said that they found it by looking through the Danish Royal family tree. The names they have used with their first two children have been traditional family names.

I believe they will NOT use the following as first names:
Elizabeth (form of Isabella)
Alexandra (Joachim's ex-wife)
Alexandrine (Too close to the name of Joachim's ex-wife)
Ingrid (Already a living princess with this name*)
Charlotte (Already a living princess with this name)
Victoria (Already a living princess with this name)
Michael (Mary's nephew's name)
Alexander (Mary's nephew's name)
Magnus ("Sverre Magnus" goes by the name Magnus)
Nicholas (too similar to cousin Nikolai)

I am wondering if they will follow the trend to have matching first initials for the twins... such as Carl and Caroline; Andre and Anna; or Erik and Emma.
This is popular in the US. Is it done as much in Europe?

*While it is true that we have many prince "Philip"s and "William"s, their names are spelled and pronounced differently by country:
William of England
Willem Alexander of Netherlands
Guillaume of Luxembourg
Philippe of Belgium
Carl-Philip of Sweden
Felipe of Spain

Isabella was apparently named after Isabella of Austria consort to King Christian II.
But IMO the name is more modern than traditional, it was the 16th most popular name in 2007.

I'm so happy for Mary and Frederick!!!! I don't know about names...But I would like that Maxima and William of Netherlands (they seem to have fun at Victoria's wedding) be godparent's and princess Marie too, since Haakon, Mette Marit and Victoria are godparent´s of litle Christian...

I wish them all the best....

Hmmm.....godparents....I just checked my calendar and I can be open during February without too much effort.

Hmmm.....godparents....I just checked my calendar and I can be open during February without too much effort.

Well
Christian was born October 15th, christened January 21st.
Isabella was born April 21st, christened July 1st.

That's a 4 month gap ish between birth and christening so end of March, start of April christening I think.

Last edited:
Well
Christian was born October 5th, christened January 21st.

That's a 4 month gap ish between birth and christening so end of March, start of April christening I think.

That far in advance, and past busy season, would actually be quite a bit better for me, lumutqueen. :D

Care to share quarters as we volunteer for this duty?

That far in advance, and past busy season, would actually be quite a bit better for me, lumutqueen. :D

Care to share quarters as we volunteer for this duty?

I think you know my answer. ;)
I've already sent my letter off. :D

Amalie Sophie Mary Margrethe

Matilda Thyra Anna Margrethe

Matilda could work, depending on whether or not the parents actually like that name. Matilda was the daughter of Christoffer I of Denmark.

Well
Christian was born October 5th, christened January 21st.

Sorry but Christian was born on October 15

I wonder if the family already knows the sex of the twins? Or is too early?

I researched and 18th/19th week?
I wonder if they find out, because the couple have never said anything. Didn't Marie say they knew Henrik was a boy before he was born?

Amalie Sophie Mary Margrethe

Matilda Thyra Anna Margrethe

Matilda could work, depending on whether or not the parents actually like that name. Matilda was the daughter of Christoffer I of Denmark.

Ohh, i love the name Matilda. But i prefer the Danish version Mathilde.
Anyway, the daughter of Christoffer I is called "Mechtild" in Denmark.
Mechtild sounds very old fashioned to me.
Mathilde/Matilda could be also difficult because of Caroline Matilda (English Princess and Danish Queen). She had a very sad and cruel life.

Traditional danish names i can imagine for the twins are:
Oluf
Erik
Magnus :wub:
Christoffer
Oscar
Gustav

Emma
Sofia/Sofie (or with ph)
Philippa
Dorotea
Catharina
Amalie
Louise
Charlotte

My vote definitely goes for the traditional names. I'm sick and tired of the names that mean nothing except trying to sound cool. Thank goodness that scourge has not affected royal families (yet!). Here are some lovely names from the danish late medieval history:

Adela, Amalia, Judith, Hedwig, Ingeborg, Dorothea (my personal favourite), Philippa, Magnus, Waldemar, Moritz, Holger

Thank goodness that scourge has not affected royal families (yet!).

It's kind of got there already, yes the majority of names in royal families can somehow be traced to a royal ages okay but not all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom