Mary's Accent and Languages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quite interesting thread! I've enjoyed reading all your comments. I used to work for a Danish Bank in the US, and I traveled to Copenhagen a few times, but boy! I don't think it's ease to speak or understand I found it very hard, although there are some words similar to English in their language! Danish people are wonderful, though, very easy going, love them!

Sometimes when you are with someone with different accent, background or so, the more you stay with him/her it is normal you take one things from and give him/her others from you... that the way things are...

Fluent is a term that many linguistic researchers disagree on. I have yet to hear of a universal definition. When I stated that researchers believe that it takes someone 7 years to become fluent, I was referring to one's ability to communicate without hesitation, using the general intonation and rhythm of that language. Of course, there is no general agreement on what makes a person fluent. It sounds to me like Mary has become fluent in the language. I don't speak Danish, so I am basing my opinion on how she sounds and by reading the posts from the Danish members regarding her language.

sgl-Forgive me but it has been a very long time since I needed to study second language accquistion theory. (I'm a former teacher who worked with immigrant students in the Los Angeles area.) Was it Stephen Krashen or the late Tracy Terell who created BICS (basic interpersonal communication) or CALP (cognitive academic language)?

Stephen Krashen developed the idea of BICS and CALP. It sounds to me as if Mary has mastered BICS and is well on her way to developing extensive skills in CALP. Does anyone know if Mary still studies Danish? Is she able to write in Danish?

It is clear that she is fluent or quite near fluency in Danish. :flowers: But she does not have the Danish accent yet.

I think she will never do, because you can not pretend to have any perfect accent when you passed your childhood and early life in a completly different country :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: That's what I think

I think she will never do, because you can not pretend to have any perfect accent when you passed your childhood and early life in a completly different country :flowers: :flowers: :flowers: That's what I think

I disagree with you. I'm a language teacher and have seen many who can speak another language very fluently. Sometimes you can trace the student's accent back to the teacher's because the student mimicking so well.
I don't know about Mary because i don't speak Danish though.

I disagree with you. I'm a language teacher and have seen many who can speak another language very fluently. Sometimes you can trace the student's accent back to the teacher's because the student mimicking so well.
I don't know about Mary because i don't speak Danish though.

I think I have a good level of English, but I have to admit that some words are so difficult for me that I can't avoid my latin accent.

The second episode of the Danish Family documentary (with English subtitles).

SBS Video Player
Thank you for posting this link. It still amazes me that with technology today, I can watch something on the computer that was watched in Denmark.
As for Mary, I don't think I ever gave her credit for learning another language. From what I heard on the documentary, it sounds like a very difficult language to learn and she speaks it very very good. I'm very impressed.
My parents speak can speak both english and spanish, english being their mother tongue. Even after 45 years of listening to them when they do speak spanish, I know nothing but a few words here and there. I commend her! Well done Pr. Mary!:clap:

Thank you for posting this link. It still amazes me that with technology today, I can watch something on the computer that was watched in Denmark.
As for Mary, I don't think I ever gave her credit for learning another language. From what I heard on the documentary, it sounds like a very difficult language to learn and she speaks it very very good. I'm very impressed.
My parents speak can speak both english and spanish, english being their mother tongue. Even after 45 years of listening to them when they do speak spanish, I know nothing but a few words here and there. I commend her! Well done Pr. Mary!:clap:

I am sorry, but I don't think this is such an amazing accomplishment, to learn to speak another language... I mean, there are people who speak six, seven or even ten languages. That would be something, I would assume...

I am sorry, but I don't think this is such an amazing accomplishment, to learn to speak another language... I mean, there are people who speak six, seven or even ten languages. That would be something, I would assume...

In Mary's defence I'd say it isn't that simple. :)

Mary has to be able to read and write Danish to almost perfection. She is expected to speak Danish not just fluently, but to master the nuances of the language. Including subtleties and sounds that simply doesn't exist in English. (Let alone our little habit of omitting words when we speak or cutting off the ends of words).
Oh, did I mention the constant use of irony? (Which can be a genuine problem in workplaces with different cultures).
Not only that, she also has to understand the natives. Copenhagener Danish sounds different from say Danish spoken on Southern Funen even though the words are exactly the same. - And that's pretty easy, because Danish spoken in Northern Jutland or Bornholm sound even more different! :huh:
And then there are dialects....
It's litterally no more than 100 years ago that Danes from different parts of the country would have had problems understanding each other.

I believe Mary may have needed an aspirin from time to time. :headache:

It'll be equivalent to dropping me off in Yorkshire or rural Louisiana. I may have learned to speak English, but I'd still be pretty lost...

Last edited:
It does seem to be a difficult language, I hadn't realized it was that non-standardized.
I must say I was a bit disappointed not to hear ANY english from Mary during the documentary. Even in the very small bit when she briefly speaks to her husband and says good night to Christian on their way out to the Greek state dinner.
I was under the impression she spoke English to her husband and children.

Frelinghighness said:
It does seem to be a difficult language, I hadn't realized it was that non-standardized.
I must say I was a bit disappointed not to hear ANY english from Mary during the documentary. Even in the very small bit when she briefly speaks to her husband and says good night to Christian on their way out to the Greek state dinner.
I was under the impression she spoke English to her husband and children.

I think it speaks volumes for Mary in terms of discipline. I think that its wonderful that she speaks Danish on a regular basis, especially to the children.

I certainly consider it to be an achievement. Especially as Mary learnt it as an adult and not a child.

I have recently become, after a considerable length of time, quite fluent in sign language. And I certainly wouldn't have anyone tell me that it isn't an accomplishment. Alot of time and energy goes into educating ones brain to refocus any such train of thought which results in an immediate response.

It's all so easy to detract from anothers commplishments, but I suggest those people perhaps try and learn the same language and see what they achieve...
I was under the impression she spoke English to her husband and children

I'm sure they do, but it's pivotal that Mary learns the language as fluently as is possible. She is to one day be Queen of Denmark, her life is in Denmark and her immediate family are Danish. It's only natural that the language and how she articulates it should play a very big part of her every day life.

Last edited:
And also to think in Danish after thinking only in English, then to formulate the words, is quite difficult I believe.

I am sure Danish won't be the only language she will learn. Perhaps one day she will start to learn French as it is the Diplomatic language.

Oh, it is. - In the same way as someone born and bred in say West London and someone from Lancaster both speak English. The same language, it just sounds differently.

Last edited:
In terms of difficulty, Danish is considered one of the more difficult languages to master for non-native speakers. A friend in the diplomatic service says that she speaks it with not only fluency, but with nuance and subtlety.

So, kudos to Princess Mary, an intelligent and diligent person.

How many of those people that speak multiple languages, speak danish and IS NOT a native dane?

Several languages are similar. The latin group or Germanic group can have similarities that make them very easy to learn - if you know one of them already. With a little effort, I could claim to master four languages - Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and English. With a little more, I could learn German as well (already had 3 or 4 years in school). But all those languages (except english) have considerable similarities - especially the scandinavian ones. Learning Spanish and then Portuguese would be rather easier than learning Spanish and then Danish.

What makes it even harder to learn Danish is the constant temptation to switch to English. Most danes speak English and almost all public information can be obtained in English. With a minimum of help you can go pretty far in Denmark without absolutely having to learn the language. You won't be accepted into society and in most areas you'll have a hard time finding a job. But you can get your essentials and live a long full life without too much hassel.

And also to think in Danish after thinking only in English, then to formulate the words, is quite difficult I believe.

Not sure how difficult that is or whether it's something that comes natural when you are immersed in another language.
I think in English when I visit this board. - If I think in Danish while writing English, the grammar, choice of words and spelling go completely down the drain! :sad:

If I'm in Germany for more than a few days I start to think in German as well, even though my German is pretty poor.

How many of those people that speak multiple languages, speak danish and IS NOT a native dane?

Several languages are similar. The latin group or Germanic group can have similarities that make them very easy to learn - if you know one of them already. With a little effort, I could claim to master four languages - Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and English. With a little more, I could learn German as well (already had 3 or 4 years in school). But all those languages (except english) have considerable similarities - especially the scandinavian ones. Learning Spanish and then Portuguese would be rather easier than learning Spanish and then Danish.

What makes it even harder to learn Danish is the constant temptation to switch to English. Most danes speak English and almost all public information can be obtained in English. With a minimum of help you can go pretty far in Denmark without absolutely having to learn the language. You won't be accepted into society and in most areas you'll have a hard time finding a job. But you can get your essentials and live a long full life without too much hassel.

Two that I know of. I am sure there are more...

And while yes, many languages are similar, many are not. So I still think speaking six, seven or ten languages IS a real accomplishment.

Mary has to be able to read and write Danish to almost perfection. She is expected to speak Danish not just fluently, but to master the nuances of the language. Including subtleties and sounds that simply doesn't exist in English. (Let alone our little habit of omitting words when we speak or cutting off the ends of words).
Oh, did I mention the constant use of irony? (Which can be a genuine problem in workplaces with different cultures).
Not only that, she also has to understand the natives. Copenhagener Danish sounds different from say Danish spoken on Southern Funen even though the words are exactly the same. - And that's pretty easy, because Danish spoken in Northern Jutland or Bornholm sound even more different! :huh:
And then there are dialects....
It's litterally no more than 100 years ago that Danes from different parts of the country would have had problems understanding each other.

I believe Mary may have needed an aspirin from time to time. :headache:

It'll be equivalent to dropping me off in Yorkshire or rural Louisiana. I may have learned to speak English, but I'd still be pretty lost...

Yes, but that applies to every language. Every language has its nuances, subtleties and sounds that simply doesn't exist in English. Think about Japanese or Chinese or Arabic, how difficult that is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Two that I know of. I am sure there are more...

And while yes, many languages are similar, many are not. So I still think speaking six, seven or ten languages IS a real accomplishment.

Indeed it is. But I'd say someone who can master up to ten languages has a gift for learning languages. And unfortunately few possess that talent.
To most of us it's hard work and endless practise.

It's my impression that Mary hasn't been born with a gift for learning languages, or she would probably have picked up other languages by now, besides English and Danish and perhaps a little French.
That means she must have had to work and work hard to get where she is now.
That's also an accomplishment, eh? :)

However, there is a considerable difference between learning the basis of a language. I.e. grammar, spelling, correct pronounciaton and to master a language, with all the subtleties, dialects, slang, accents.
That's the difference between newsreader-English and English as spoken by people in the street.
It's when you can do crosswords at a reasonable level and when you can effortlessly understand and chat with people on the street that you can say that you truly master a language.

Yes, but that applies to every language. Every language has its nuances, subtleties and sounds that simply doesn't exist in English. Think about Japanese or Chinese or Arabic, how difficult that is?

Exactly my point. :) I mean: My point exactly. That's what happens when one accidentally think in Danish. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed it is. But I'd say someone who can master up to ten languages has a gift for learning languages. And unfortunately few possess that talent.
To most of us it's hard work and endless practise.

It's my impression that Mary hasn't been born with a gift for learning languages, or she would probably have picked up other languages by now, besides English and Danish and perhaps a little French.
That means she must have had to work and work hard to get where she is now.
That's also an accomplishment, eh? :)

However, there is a considerable difference between learning the basis of a language. I.e. grammar, spelling, correct pronounciaton and to master a language, with all the subtleties, dialects, slang, accents.
That's the difference between newsreader-English and English as spoken by people in the street.
It's when you can do crosswords at a reasonable level and when you can effortlessly understand and chat with people on the street that you can say that you truly master a language.

As to the bold above - maybe you are correct. That would explain why everyone tends to think learning one foreign language was a big accomplishment for Mary.

I think it also depends if you are learning the language and are living in the country that speaks that language or if you are learning it while living somewhere else. The second is even bigger accomplishment.

Last edited:
I think it also depends if you are learning the language and are living in the country that speaks that language or if you are learning it while living somewhere else. The second is even bigger accomplishment.

Well, if you learn Danish without ever going there, and then suddenly you are picked up by a ufo and dumped in say Aarhus and told to live there for a month, only speaking and reading Danish and without the locals taking any considerations at all towards you, you'll soon learn the difference between school-Danish and everyday-Danish.
If you can manage that well, without going to bed with a blinding headache before noon or crying yourself to sleep at night, then I'll not only take off my hat in your honor, I'll also bow to you. :notworthy:
- That's a precious gift indeed. And I envy those who have such a gift. :)

I do hope Mary speaks English to her children as the latest brain research shows considerable aptitude for aquiring another language before age 6. Then the next optimal time is before age 12.
Which is why learning another language as an adult, or after age 12, which is common in the US, is harder.

BTW, Danes, how is Marie's Danish coming along? She already had at least English and French...

I think Mary was very motivated to learn danish, I woul if I was going to be the next CP in Denmark or for the matter any other country or language. Some people has a great hability, my husband can speak 7 languages, and he is amazing, he is british and his second language is danish, and he does not have any accent , at that point that some of the danes think he is from Kobenhavn, my fatehr was danish and that was my first language but after his death when i was too I lost the language and when I came back to study in my teans I had some how a lot of vocabulary! My husband can esasy speaks sewedis and norigian , I couldn't, I think it depends not only in your ability but how much you want to speaks the language and how motivate you are, of course the best it is to live there for a while!

Danish is definitely a difficult language but with programs like Rosetta Stone one can learn quickly. I'm sure Mary used Rosetta Stone or something similar and I'm sure she had a language instructor and on top of that I'm sure Fred spoke the language to her often and helped her where needed. With dedication and persistence it's easy to learn another language.

Danish is definitely a difficult language but with programs like Rosetta Stone one can learn quickly. I'm sure Mary used Rosetta Stone or something similar and I'm sure she had a language instructor and on top of that I'm sure Fred spoke the language to her often and helped her where needed. With dedication and persistence it's easy to learn another language.

Is that an endorsement or advertisement? :lol: I doubt Mary used a multimedia course given she was already in the country and could speak Danish with practically everyone around her. Immersion is the best way to learn a language and with dedicated tutors, I think it's hard to go wrong if you work hard enough.

Last edited:
lancchick said:
Is that an endorsement or advertisement? :lol: I doubt Mary used a multimedia course given she was already in the country and could speak Danish with practically everyone around her. Immersion is the best way to learn a language and with dedicated tutors, I think it's hard to go wrong if you work hard enough.

Um I have no affiliation with that or any other program but I think it's silly to suggest that it's not possible for her to use such a program. I know many people (including people in Europe) who've used those programs along with immersion, tutors etc. I think she used whatever she could to able her to learn the language quickly. I can probably bet money that Mary used some sort of "multimedia". Whether the multimedia was something like Rosetta stone or something from a tutor I don't know, but I'm sure she did.

Is she? The present consort seems to be far for that level, Queen Silvia's Swedish is not exactly perfection etc etc. But still she deserves credit to marry into a foreign culture and and her willingness to adapt, incl language which she will never speak anywhere near to "native".

Her fellow CPs who were "subjects" already have a much easier ride, still Mary seems to have quite "arrived" in Denmark, in contrast to the present consort Henrik.

Back
Top Bottom