General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 18: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to Part 18 of the thread for General News about Frederik, Mary and Family!

You can find the old thread here:

** General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 17: January 2018 - June 2020 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

It's the 25 anniversary of Frederik attending Aarhus University, Frederik has given a short interview on his time and his current connect with the university. Also old classmates and his current colleagues at the CPF center for public leadership.

"*it was intended that the Crown Prince should only take a few subjects at the university, just as his mother had done.*But around Christmas time, he decided to complete his political science studies.*And he has not regretted it"

https://www.au.dk/#news-18286

Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

The program will be aired tonight, but on TV2 which means you can't see it outside DK.

The article is full of interesting and funny details, so please remind me to get back to it. ?

Okay, I watched the program and those who are fond of Frederik's physical appearance would have enjoyed it.

I watched it with half an ear, literally, the sound was crap!

It was basically a segment in a long ongoing series of a seafaring family, tonight with Frederik as "special guest" aboard.
He was both in focus and in the background at the same time. I think Frederik enjoyed being at sea and just enjoy Denmark from the sea and under the sea and meeting various, but still interesting, ordinary Danes. - Most people are interesting if you cover them from the right angle and first and foremost allow them to talk and tell their stories.

And now to the BT article: https://www.bt.dk/film-tv-og-stream...n-og-familien-fik-fornemt-besoeg-den-stod-paa

Frederik hitched a ride for two days on the boat owned by Mikkel Beha and his family.
Frederik signed on as an ordinary crew member.
"I thought it could be exiting to have the Crown Prince out sailing with us on this trip, because if there is anyone who knows and have sailed around Denmark, since he was little aboard the royal yacht Dannebrog, it's him.
We have the love of diving and sailing in common and that's why it could be fantastic to have him in our world and share some of the experiences with him."

Frederik told a little about his time in the Frogman Corps.
"We really learned to remain calm for those extra ten seconds, when someone came took the pacifier (the regulater) out of your mouth from behind. I also recall how we also had to shut off the airflow for each other, when we were on pressurized air."

Then there is the thing about peeing in your diving suits. (Why is everything about peeing these days? Have I missed a trend? ?)

A crew members says:
"You aren't allowed to pee in another man's suit. But I know that you (frogmen) in there are down there so long that you have to pee."

Frederik: "There are two kinds of Frogmen. Those who pee in the suit and don't admit it. And those who pee in the suit and admit it."

Thanks, Polyesco. ?

Remind me to get back to this story. The only inhabitant of the island is a very likable man.

Remind! I like your stories.:flowers:

Here we go then.

It's about 78 year old Jørgen Nielsen, who is the only permanent resident on the small islands, Hirsholmene, off the east coast of northern Jutland.
At the time Frederik and Mikkel Beha came visiting he was the only human on the island, there were no tourists in the houses there. Previously there used to live around 130 and the island even have a church and cemetery. Life was centered around the lighthouse and fishing. Today the lighthouse is automatic and need only occasional maintenance.

Frederik and Co, visited the island for three hours listing to what Jørgen Nielsen had to say - and he is a living proof that all people can be interesting provided you allow them to tell their story.

Jørgen Nielsen says:
I didn't know anything until an hour before their visit.
There is this big rubberdinghy sailing and they moor at the harbor down at the pier in the forenoon. (Many come sailing to visit the islands, so the harbor is surprisingly big.) And I thought, that sure is odd. But perhaps they were to photograph birds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_guillemot
They look like penguins. With a little stretch of the imagination.

So around four in the afternoon this here large dinghy comes in towards the mooring bridge and I rush out and say hi, and they say hi back.
"Might you be Jørgen Nielsen, the last residents of the Holme?" The two men ask me and I say: "Yeah, I am Jørgen Nielsen alright but I sure don't hope I'm the last who wants to live over here."

He asks the two men what they were doing out there at the pier for so long.
Then the two looked at each other and one of them says: "We'd better tell him. We are from the police, we are bodyguards for the Crown Prince."
"What are you saying" I ask. "The Crown Prince? Is he coming?"

The network, TV2 hadn't told Jørgen Nielsen that Frederik was among those to visit the island that day.

TV2 had forgotten to tell me, but in hindsight I'm glad they didn't tell me. Because if I had known long before, I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night. Then I would have been lying thinking about how the heck I should handle him.
Then you would have been sleepless over that. But I thought: No, Jørgen Nielsen. Now we'll take things in their stride.
So they came in at 16.30 and jumped on the bridge and put his hand forward and said: "Good day (G'day actually, see second translation below) Jørgen Nielsen." And I say: Good day Frederik." And that set the tone.

Jørgen Nielsen gave a guided tour of the island and he did indeed watched the program on TV the other day.
I thought the program was good. Not because I was in it, because that doesn't matter. I do it to promote the island, so that Danes get to know it and come visiting. Because it's such a gem of nature. And that really is something the Danes must experience. Especially children. They can walk be the harbors and catch crabs in nets and go bathing. It's a nice place."

Now for the other article. And again in the words of Jørgen Nielsen. (Jørgen = George BTW)
We were dus (=informal you. du = informal, De = formal) and he had no airs and was quite regular.
There was a lot of laughter.
Heck yes, they are some great guys, both Frederik and Mikkel Beha and yes the sons as well.

Right from the beginning he made fun of the Crown Prince, when Frederik wanted to know how Jørgen Nielsen could stand all the noise from the many gulls on the island.
To that question Jørgen replied: "WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?"

It was an experience with such a visit.

But there was also time for a serious talk, when Crown Prince Frederik and the Beha family together with Jørgen Nielsen went to the cemetery, where Jørgen Nielsen's wife (formal word, as is appropriate when you talk about someone's dead wife) is buried.
Frederik surprised Jørgen by knowing in advance that he has a special New Year tradition at the cemetery.

I always drink champagne on New Years Eve at midnight - then I sit there on the northern end of the island, where she is buried and think a little.

-----------
It must be nice for Frederik to meet ordinary Danes, eye to eye, in the most informal element imaginable and just talk and listen.

It takes a special type to live alone on an (two actually) island for weeks at a time, but I envy him a little. Plenty to do and plenty of time to do nothing. Plenty of time to think and time to empty your head.
Hirsholmene consists of two small islands and a couple of rocks. One island, the largest is inhabited. The other was used for cattle to grass and to collect eggs and seaweed.

Last edited:
Thank you Muhler! Great to read about this island and its residents. And nice to see Frederik talking and hearing from ordinary Danes.:flowers:

Frederik also mentioned his kids and sailing during the show.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...erik-fortaeller-om-sine-boern-de-er-lykkelige

"They're happy to be on board.*It is a huge experience for them, says Crown Prince Frederik in "Course to Danish coasts and says that he and Mary and the children will use Dannebrog a lot in the future."

Here we go then.

It's about 78 year old Jørgen Nielsen, who is the only permanent resident on the small islands, Hirsholmene, off the east coast of northern Jutland.
At the time Frederik and Mikkel Beha came visiting he was the only human on the island, there were no tourists in the houses there. Previously there used to live around 130 and the island even have a church and cemetery. Life was centered around the lighthouse and fishing. Today the lighthouse is automatic and need only occasional maintenance.

Frederik and Co, visited the island for three hours listing to what Jørgen Nielsen had to say - and he is a living proof that all people can be interesting provided you allow them to tell their story.

Jørgen Nielsen says:
I didn't know anything until an hour before their visit.
There is this big rubberdinghy sailing and they moor at the harbor down at the pier in the forenoon. (Many come sailing to visit the islands, so the harbor is surprisingly big.) And I thought, that sure is odd. But perhaps they were to photograph birds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_guillemot
They look like penguins. With a little stretch of the imagination.

So around four in the afternoon this here large dinghy comes in towards the mooring bridge and I rush out and say hi, and they say hi back.
"Might you be Jørgen Nielsen, the last residents of the Holme?" The two men ask me and I say: "Yeah, I am Jørgen Nielsen alright but I sure don't hope I'm the last who wants to live over here."

He asks the two men what they were doing out there at the pier for so long.
Then the two looked at each other and one of them says: "We'd better tell him. We are from the police, we are bodyguards for the Crown Prince."
"What are you saying" I ask. "The Crown Prince? Is he coming?"

The network, TV2 hadn't told Jørgen Nielsen that Frederik was among those to visit the island that day.

TV2 had forgotten to tell me, but in hindsight I'm glad they didn't tell me. Because if I had known long before, I wouldn't have been able to sleep at night. Then I would have been lying thinking about how the heck I should handle him.
Then you would have been sleepless over that. But I thought: No, Jørgen Nielsen. Now we'll take things in their stride.
So they came in at 16.30 and jumped on the bridge and put his hand forward and said: "Good day (G'day actually, see second translation below) Jørgen Nielsen." And I say: Good day Frederik." And that set the tone.

Jørgen Nielsen gave a guided tour of the island and he did indeed watched the program on TV the other day.
I thought the program was good. Not because I was in it, because that doesn't matter. I do it to promote the island, so that Danes get to know it and come visiting. Because it's such a gem of nature. And that really is something the Danes must experience. Especially children. They can walk be the harbors and catch crabs in nets and go bathing. It's a nice place."

Now for the other article. And again in the words of Jørgen Nielsen. (Jørgen = George BTW)
We were dus (=informal you. du = informal, De = formal) and he had no airs and was quite regular.
There was a lot of laughter.
Heck yes, they are some great guys, both Frederik and Mikkel Beha and yes the sons as well.

Right from the beginning he made fun of the Crown Prince, when Frederik wanted to know how Jørgen Nielsen could stand all the noise from the many gulls on the island.
To that question Jørgen replied: "WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?"

It was an experience with such a visit.

But there was also time for a serious talk, when Crown Prince Frederik and the Beha family together with Jørgen Nielsen went to the cemetery, where Jørgen Nielsen's wife (formal word, as is appropriate when you talk about someone's dead wife) is buried.
Frederik surprised Jørgen by knowing in advance that he has a special New Year tradition at the cemetery.

I always drink champagne on New Years Eve at midnight - then I sit there on the northern end of the island, where she is buried and think a little.

-----------
It must be nice for Frederik to meet ordinary Danes, eye to eye, in the most informal element imaginable and just talk and listen.

It takes a special type to live alone on an (two actually) island for weeks at a time, but I envy him a little. Plenty to do and plenty of time to do nothing. Plenty of time to think and time to empty your head.
Hirsholmene consists of two small islands and a couple of rocks. One island, the largest is inhabited. The other was used for cattle to grass and to collect eggs and seaweed.
Mange tak indeed! Such a treat to read about this dream island and glad to know that the Crown Prince Family intends to make very good use of Dannebrog.
I look forward to more stories and pictures about the Danish coast.

Mange tak! from me too. I think it is great how he gets the chance to travel around his own country to the more remote places and gets the chance to speak with ordinary Danes.
G'day is an Australian expression I wonder if he picked it up from Mary.

Mange tak! from me too. I think it is great how he gets the chance to travel around his own country to the more remote places and gets the chance to speak with ordinary Danes.
G'day is an Australian expression I wonder if he picked it up from Mary.

I doubt that very much. Goddag = Good day, has been around for at least a couple of hundred years. And there are many lesser formal variants.

The most correct, formal and polite is: Goddag.
The informal: G'dag/go'dag.
And the least formal: 'Dag.
And since the 70's we have: God dag = good day. As a polite, friendly and semi-formal greeting.

Then there are the (originally) rural/working class variants. It's actually dialect for "goddag." Because "dag" = day, in most rural dialects is "dav" or "daw."
Goddav, being the most formal.
Davs, dav or daws, informal greeting.
- I usually translate that as G'day or howdy.

And since the 1930's we have "hej" = hi = informal greeting for most occasions.

All those variants depends on the situation, who you are, how old you are, where you are from, your background and who you are greeting.

If I were to greet Frederik because he is going to present me with the Order of the Elephant, I wouldn't dream of saying anything else but "goddag" (Alternatively "godaften" = good evening. That follows the same rules.)
But if I were to meet him in an informal setting, say parents-meeting at school and shake his hand, I would likely say: Go'dag/g'dag/davs/hej. Depending on what terms we are as parents. (If we can't stand the sight of each other it would be "goddag.")
But if I were to almost bump into him on the street, I would most likely simply say: Davs.

However, in regards to his children. In a formal setting, shaking hands and all, I would say "goddag."
In an informal setting I would simply greet his children with a "hej."

And there is even more. We haven't even touched "Hygge" "Hyg dig" "Kan du have det" "'hav det" and the countless other farewell greetings.

- Confused? ?

Welcome to Mary's world. :D

You are welcome, Gerry & Polyseco. ?

Last edited:
Don't forget me Muhler. Life has overtaken a lot of spare time and my cellphone and laptop were totalled by an email virus. I have a new phone but I can't get the Google translate to work so you and other translators are just plain MAGIC. Plus, we get a more nuanced and fun translation.

Well that's all as Clear as Mud Muhler!
I will have to read your post again to get it!
It was only that you wrote G'day in your earlier post that I assumed wrongly that Frederik may have picked up the aussie greeting.

Well that's all as Clear as Mud Muhler!
I will have to read your post again to get it!
It was only that you wrote G'day in your earlier post that I assumed wrongly that Frederik may have picked up the aussie greeting.

Well, I sort of got carried away. :D

I suggest an aspirin. I'm sure Mary has needed one many times. :lol:

I guess we are going to see more cancellations over the next year or so due to Corona.
Even the New Year Courts may be in danger if there is a flare up in Copenhagen at that time.

It’s naturally not much we have seen to Frederik, Mary and their four children these months/in 2020 so far due to corona lock down, cancellations of major family events (as Christians' confirmation), then summer vacation, and now possibly another corona wave.
At least not near as much as we, fortunately, are used too and have seen to F&M and children all others years.

That's why I woke up the other morning and thought: Oh man, Christian is finishing primary school next summer!

Little Christian... he just started in 9th grade this month after summer vacation and thus his last year in primary school. I think this year has flown by!

I think we therefore should have a school update on Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine:

After this summer holidays are:

- Christian started in 9th grade

- Isabella in 7th grade

- Vincent and Josephine in 3rd grade.

The Danish primary school consists of a compulsory kindergarten class and 1st - 9th grade as well as a voluntary 10th grade.

So next year Christian will not only be confirmed, but must also find out what he wants after finishing primary school.

He can take 10th grade at a school (maybe Tranegaardsskolen offers it) or 10th grade at continuation school* (maybe one with sport on the programme) or he can go straight to high school.

* A very popular choice in Denmark. I do not know how 'after school' is translated correctly into English. To my knowledge, “continuation school" is the closest you get to “efterskole” in English. But given that continuation schools are a unique Danish school system, the English “continuation schools/boarding schools” and the Danish “efterskole” are of course not identical schools.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of the 10th grade? And what would be reasons either choose to do so or decide against it?

What is the purpose of the 10th grade? And what would be reasons either choose to do so or decide against it?

To improve your grades and/or ensure you are more mature for say high school or if you are undecided about what to do after school.

As Muhler said.
And you can choose to continue at the school you go to if it offers 10th grade, but many municipalities have set up special 10th grade centers.

You can also take 10th grade at a continuations school which is a very popular choice. You can for example go to a sports continations school where sports and physical education are high on the schedule.

Slightly 50% of Danish school students apply to take 10th grade after 9th grade.

So, would normally the academically 'weaker' children take a 10th year so they might be able to continue at a level they might otherwise not be accepted in? Or would it also be common for students with higher grades?

The magazine edition of BB this week informs us that M&F intends to prolong their stay at Fredensborg.

It was the intention of M&F to do like QMII: Stay at Fredensborg for most of the summer months and stay at Amalienborg during the winter months.
However, despite there being a longer distance between Fredensborg and the school the children attends - as well as the offices of M&F - they feel very much at home at Fredensborg and have as such decided to prolong their stay.

- And who can blame them?
It's lovely up there. With a whole park you can jog and walk the dog in.

I had also chosen to stay longer. Fredensborg is lovely, there is quite, green nature and a beautiful lake - and I don’t think we should underestimate how much Kancellihuset means for the Crown Prince's family - it was there it all began.

It will be exciting to see for how long they stay.

Amber petty has given an interview, where she talks about how her friendship with Mary, unsurprisingly, changed when Mary got married and moved to Denmark.

In English: https://7news.com.au/the-morning-sh...ss-mary-and-why-shes-turned-to-tarot-c-670846

I'd say Amber Petty is one of Mary's more talkative friends...

i agree, not surprisingly - i guess most people's friendships change slightly when people marry and definitely when they have kids. i guess the differences amplify even more so if one doesn't have kids and one does. but the change in their relationship would, understandably, have been on another level with mary joining the RF. i wonder how often they get to see each other these days.

However, despite there being a longer distance between Fredensborg and the school the children attends - as well as the offices of M&F - they feel very much at home at Fredensborg and have as such decided to prolong their stay.

i wonder if they chose to remain there because of the COVID risk? it wasn't a move they had done in the past to retire to Fredensborg for that much time before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom