General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 18: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Gribskov forms the framework for this week's episode of the program 'Nak & Æd', where the hosts, chef Nikolaj Kirk and naturalist Jørgen Skouboe, go hunting and prepare a meal in nature. In each program, the hosts have a helper and this time it is His Royal Highness the Crown Prince who shows the way in one of Denmark's largest forest areas.⁣

⁣ The program can be seen on DR 1 tonight at 20.00."

You can watch it here

https://www.dr.dk/drtv/saeson/nak-and-aed_256864
https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/nak-and-aed_-en-sika-i-gribskov_257008

The program is called Nak og æd = Whack and eat (eat as in eat like an animal, you English speakers really need more words for eat. ;)? ) and it's very popular and has been around for many years, fifteen or so, I think.

The concept started out with a cook pairing up with a hunter. They were tasked with hunting a particular animal and then the cook would prepared the animal, improvising a dish, in situ.
If they can't find or get in range of the animal they want to hunt, they have to prepare and eat an alternative, that can be a skunk or a crow.
They started out by being two very different persons. An archetypical Copenhagener city-lad, against a more quiet and older hunter from semi-rural Jutland.
Over the years and seasons they have developed a close friendship, despite being very different, so it's also a program about male-bonding.

This program follow a typical pattern:
They are invited/or work with a local (in this case Frederik) who helps them setting up camp and guide them to the best places to hunt. Tonight it's a Sika-Deer.
They go hunting. Hopefully shooting the deer.
Then we follow how the animal is broken and prepared for dinner, with the host (Frederik) as the guest of honor.

There is no stigma against hunting in DK. On the contrary, the number of hunters are going up, particular among women and people who live in the cities.
The reason is that everybody knows a hunter. Kindergartens are often visited by hunters who bring with them animals they have shot and explain about hunting and the animals to the the children.
At the same time the hunters work closely with nature and conservation groups. The aim is pretty much the same: preserving nature and a healthy population of wildlife.

That's the background.
When I have watched the program, while enjoying a footbath :D I'll write a guide for you to watch and follow the program and post it later this evening along with the link Nordic kindly provided.

https://www.dr.dk/drtv/se/nak-and-aed_-en-sika-i-gribskov_257008

Okay, for those of you who intend to watch this one hour long episode of Whack and Eat, you are going to see a Frederik you have never seen before.
It's Frederik the outdoorsman, the hunter, the guide, the joker and the buddy.

It takes place over three days.
With arrival and setting up camp on the first day, including meeting Frederik and talking about the animal that is to be hunted, a Sika-deer. And the alternative, goldfish.
The second day is the actual hunt.
The third day preparing the meal and having Frederik as the guest of honor.

All of it takes place at Grib Forest near Fredensborg Palace, so Frederik know the area like the back of his hand.
Grib Forest was set up as a royal hunting ground by Christian V. and the hunting type back then was to chase the deer along lanes in the forest until it was exhausted. Then the king would come in and kill the deer with a hunting sword, a Hirschfänger. (They are still used today I understand, to sometimes kill off a wounded wild boar, but I don't think they are used in DK.)
The hunt we are going to see is pyrsch hunting, without dogs. That is sneaking up on the animal. A difficult type of hunting, because even though the deer are used to human activity, they prefer to stay out of sight.
There are four types of deer in DK, with the Sika being one. The Red Deer alone has a population of some 800.000 in DK! So the population needs to be culled, otherwise nature will reduce the population in a very merciless manner.

The cast is: Jørgen, the hunter. Nikolai, the cook and Frederik, the guide.

We start with Nikolai and Jørgen arriving at the camp in Grib Forest on the first day. In late October.
Jørgen, decides to set up an open kitchen, so the tables are removed from under a tree into the open. - In October, in DK = rain...

05: - Raising the flag, while singing a pathetic and very false version of the royal anthem.

Raining! - Open kitchen... yeah, great idea...

07: Frederik arriving, with some weird gear. Pieces of wood.

08: Jørgen has a project. Digging holes for driving the stakes into the ground... ????!!????

11: After some hard work the purpose is revealed: Jørgen reads a quote by QMII, where she express the importance of sometimes creating something that serves no purpose at all. That has no meaning. That isn't necessary. It's just done.
11:21 - It dawns on Frederik that the quote is by his mother. - From a New year speech.
Nikolai, the cook's face: You suckered me good!

A toast, while Frederik tells a little about the history and this being royal hunting ground.

13: The Sika. In it's summer coat, in the picture. While it wears a dark winter-coat hear in October. But they are in heat.
Frederik explains about the four types of deer in Grib Forest.
Jørgen show us how the males sound while in heat.

16: If they don't get a Sika, they'll have to eat goldfish. - They are often discarded into lakes in DK, where they breed happily while slowly turning more grey and bigger from generation to generation. Good camouflage against birds and pikes.
The cook is ready for the challenge!

The hunt will start the next day at 7.30. That's about half an hour before sun-up. Then Frederik will pick them up.

18: The photo is from Frederik IX's desk at Amalienborg and shows his collection of pipes.
They then try two types of tobacco, they know Frederik IX smoked. A mild summer tobacco and a spicy winter-tobacco.
Early on in the series Jørgen turned the cook on to begin smoking pipe.

20: Morning on the second day.
Breakfast, prepared from the dough, made the evening before and braided into shape.

25: Frederik arriving - in style! The carriage is a hunting carriage and it was a present for Frederik on his 50th B-day. PH used a similar when he hosted the royal hunts.

28: Walk in the grass. Makes less noise.

31:27: Sika! - The call of a Sika-male.
There is a Sika in there somewhere...

33: Trying to use the discarded antlers as bait. Sounds like deer fighting.

35: Try the call. - Response!
The whistle stuns the Sika. Fire! - Hit.
Wait five minutes. It the deer wasn't killed right away, it needs time to bleed out. And if spooked they can still run several hundred meters, even though they are de facto dead. So calm.
Having pastry to celebrate.
Frederik got his hunting license when he was sixteen.

39: (Instant kill as far as I can tell, the spine. Hardly any blood. Shock-death.) Frederik breaks the deer. The liver and heart is selected by the cook. But careful, because a male-deer in season is full of hormones and the smell can contaminate the meat if not careful when breaking the animal.
Back to camp - in style.

42: Third day. Looking for ingredients.
43: Poisonous!
Liver, heart and steak on a bone, with mushrooms and green.

49: No clean mug for Frederik, so the dishes are done - male-style...

51: Frederik arriving for dinner.
And helps out with the cooking and setting and decorating the table - male-style...
But eh... how about plates, forks, knives...?
Eleven years and he still doesn't get the basic, sigh!

Bon appetite.

I understand it was Frederik who invited Jørgen and Nikolai to Grib Forest.

Munch? Graze? Chow down? Pig out? Feed? Feast? Snarf? Bolt? Gobble? ? Need some more?

Nah, that's pretty much slang and something specific animals do isn't it? ?

No, I meant more like the difference between the German essen and fressen.
Essen (spise in DK) is something humans do.
Fressen (æde in DK) is something animals and people without manners do.
And I don't mean dine (that's dinere in Danish = extremely posh way of eating.)

No, I meant more like the difference between the German essen and fressen.
Essen (spise in DK) is something humans do.

Yes, that's what I guessed. In Dutch it would be 'eten' (the appropriate version) and 'vreten' (the inappropriate version).

It seems that the closest translations in English (but neither one seems to capture the difference that many of the other Germanic languages have) would be to 'hog' or 'wolf'. The latter is explained as 'to devour food greedily'.

Last edited:

I didn't say dine, did I? :flowers:

"Fressen" has also made it into Yiddish, unsurprisingly. Same connotation.

Guzzle. That's what you're looking for. https://wikidiff.com/guzzle/eat
It's not as commonly used, but English certainly has the concept of indelicate eating (I'd be VERY surprised if something like this show wasn't already on US cable, minus the guest prince.)

Last edited:
Theses extra cute :heart2: photos taken in front of Amalienborg Palace have been shared today, captioned: "We are being taken extra care of today":

** Pic ** Instagram Post **

Very cute. ?

They started out as two little boys, assisting the guardsmen with among other things keeping subversive looking pigeons away from the square.
And now they have been joined by a third.

They are so often at Amalienborg Square that they have become a little tourist attraction in their own right.

I believe they have their own Instagram or Twitter account.

Beside that Frederik i extremely handsome I like him so much because of his nature so down to earth! So lovely this photos !and it says so much about him!

Last edited:
There is no mentioning of the third little guardsman in the description, but the mother to the twins Malthe and William wrote this:
Vi var inde til vagtskifte og så kom 2 herre ned og spurgte om det var i orden at Kronprinsen lige kom ned og hilste.. og det var det selvfølgelig

We attended a change of the guards and then two gentlemen came down and asked if it would be alright if the Crown Prince came down to say hello - and of course it was.

It was a great experience for the boys, tells mother later on. They talked about all the way home, while they sat in the bike. (Presumably a Nihola or Christiania Bike.

This is a Christiania Bike: https://www.aadum.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/IMG_7256-b.jpg

And this is a Nihola: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...ZWb95DGs8Ro8Jz1h2JtBdLD-3qcCeJASSL-KE_N2lJ01D

Frederik has been seen driving his children to kindergarten in a Nihola.

Rene Olsen is the boys dad.

But the boys were too shy to talk to Frederik.

They went to Amalienborg to meet with the third and older boy, Carl.

Last edited:
Awwwe..how lovely!!! What a sweet and humble Crown Prince!

It's no secret that Mary, if not actively assist in LGBT-rights, then certainly offer her support. - I know from other sources that Mary is held in very high regard in LGBT circles in certainly Copenhagen. (I'll link to that if you really want to, but it's mentioned en passant in a couple of videos. Most of which is irrelevant to this forum.)

Anyway, a survey has been published about the public opinion in regards to Mary involvement in LGBT rights and lifestyle.
And that is favorable!
You can see a graph in this article: https://www.bt.dk/royale/kronprinse...jde-som-regnbuekriger-det-er-en-sag-jeg-gerne

Yellow to red shows the percentage who do agree with Mary supporting the LGBT community and those who are undecided.
Lilac and blue are in agreement.
Green are indifferent.

Those who disagree are mainly to be found on the religious right and among some segments of the national-conservative right.
(I should perhaps mention that the leader of the Conservative party is a gay man.)
So Mary has an overwhelming political backing in the Parliament.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
And Mary's comment yesterday to the people who think she should stay away from the subject of LGBTI+ rights:

Denmark has been a forerunner for LGBTI+ rights both nationally and globally, and it is a cause I want to encourage/help further.

Good to see them back the national team and good to see that going to a soccer match no longer just a "guy-thing." The more women, the fewer troublemakers among the spectators at soccer matches IMO.

That was sweet, with Vincent asking mother how his scarf is sitting. - Fine.
With the man greeting them saying that he, Vincent, looks smashing.

That was sweet, with Vincent asking mother how his scarf is sitting. - Fine.
With the man greeting them saying that he, Vincent, looks smashing.

That was cute, and if he follows in his dad's footsteps, there will be more scarf wearing ;)

a few more pics, the PM was also in attendance
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBiHEJ2WQAQUw6r?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBiG-rbXsAQ3ymM?format=jpg&name=medium

One more picture of the twins outing to the game
https://billedbladet-prod.imgix.net...op=focalpoint&auto=format&ixlib=imgixjs-3.4.0

Very cute Vincent with his team scarf
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ern-vincent-og-josephine-i-soed-tvillingestil

Last edited by a moderator:
That was cute, and if he follows in his dad's footsteps, there will be more scarf wearing ;)

a few more pics, the PM was also in attendance
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBiHEJ2WQAQUw6r?format=jpg&name=medium
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FBiG-rbXsAQ3ymM?format=jpg&name=medium

I love Vincent. Such a sweet kid. IMO, he is the most sensitive out of the 4 kids.

I see Mary with her phone out and I can only imagine Frederik telling her, you better tape some of this for me!! Or better yet, facetime me the match...no one in Iceland will notice I am on my phone for 3 hours or more...especially not the President and First Lady! :lol:

Well, she may have told him that DK won the match and is now to take part in the World Cup in Qatar.

Whether M&F will attend the matches in Qatar is not a certainty, given the controversy regarding migrant workers' plight there.
But that is of course a discussion we will eventually see here on TRF, both in the DRF thread and in the threads of other royal families.
So far the Danish PM has stated, yesterday, that sport and politics should not be mixed and that is a clear indication that the DRF, and that very much means M&F will attend the matches.
But of course, the political winds can change...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom