General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 18: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder what she is doing there?!?

Having lunch with a dignitary? Doesn't seem likely.
Visiting a dignitary at the hotel? - Why should she?
Meeting a personal guest? - Would be much simpler to accommodate them at Amalienborg.
Attending a meeting with international experts or representatives of some sort? - But there are plenty of other alternatives.

No, can't guess it.

OK, I'll venture a guess given the Instagram photos: 2 gal pals out and about, perhaps meeting up for lunch (if that is still an option in Denmark) looking in their handbags for? their masks? their phones? ;)

Right? Even Princesses like to have Go out to lunch with The girls.

OK, I'll venture a guess given the Instagram photos: 2 gal pals out and about, perhaps meeting up for lunch (if that is still an option in Denmark) looking in their handbags for? their masks? their phones? ;)

You are probably right. ?

The infection rate in Copenhagen right now is pretty high! But I believe it's still possible to be up to ten persons together at a restaurant.
The guidelines change more often than I shave though, so I have problems staying updated!

Yesterday, Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine had their last day of school before the Christmas holiday. Due to the Covid-19 situation Christian and Isabella's classes have been homeschooled the last weeks, while the school's smaller classes that Vincent and Josephine attend have had classes at the school.
But from today, all 4 of them go on Christmas vacation.

Like the rest of the year their Christmas Eve will be different. The Crown Prince family is spending Christmas Eve in their own home and as we can see in Mary's pictures, they have made their home very ready for a cozy Christmas.

Other years I have thought that the Crown Prince family must had look so much forward to going on Christmas holiday as Frederik & Mary usually run a very tight program especially in the autumn. This year is also there different. With Frederik and Mary falling in love with each other while living in Australia and Denmark flights have been a big part of their lives since the year 2000. Then they became a Crown Prince couple which of course meant even more yearly flights due to official travels/business promotions.

This year, the Crown Prince family traveled home from the children's winter school stay in Switzerland in start March, and since then neither Frederik nor Mary have flown or traveled (besides Frederik visiting his brother a couple of days in France in August).
Although all the official trips may be very exciting we have several times heard Mary and Frederik say that they find it difficult to travel from the children in periods when they have several trips on top of each other.

So with all the bad things Covid-19 has brought at least Frederik and Mary have had a year (it will most likely be longer) where they don’t have had to travel from the children at all and have had all the time for their children and them as a family.
It is them well deserved and such a year may never come again in the same way.

Last edited:
BB has some trivia about M&F:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/saa-hoeje-er-frederik-og-mary

Frederik is 183 cm (6')
And as such a little lower than the male average in DK, which is 184,1 cm.

Mary is 172 cm (5'77'').
And as such 4 cm above the female average.

QMII is 182 cm (5'11'').

I seem to recall that our Marie is 163 cm (5'4'').
And that PH was 188 cm (6'2'').

Crown Princess Mary yesterday spotted at the Hotel d'Angleterre in Copenhagen:

"We just met Crown Princess Mary .we just exchanged a few words "

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIYv5CSnkW7/

From that photo it looks to me like they are exchanging Christmas presents. Or Mary has asked someone to procure gifts for her she would like to keep secret until the Big day. Maybe Mary has trouble keeping gifts hidden or secret from their recipients, who perhaps could be quite tenacious at finding them.
Anyway that's how I read the photo.

And while I am here I love, love love the portrait photo of Mary in the white dress. She looks stunning.

The New Year is almost upon us, and I would like to thank The Crown Prince couple for being so generous in sharing photo's of their lovely little family who are growing up so fast.
It is always nice to see them on their first day of school, their birthday photo's attending a pantomine, in the snow etc.
I for one appreciate seeing the occasional photo, as I'm sure most of us on these forums do to. Especially as Mary manages to capture really good photos of her children, just as Catherine does over in the UK.

The Danish Prime Minister has just held a new press conference due to the increase in Covid-19 affected. According to our Prime Minister the Covid-19 situation in Denmark is now worse than it was in the spring.

Denmark's lockdown and restrictions will be extended until 17. January.

All school children are send home to be homeschooled - this time also the youngest classes. This means that Christian, Isabella, and now also Vincent and Josephine will be homeschooled by F&M again - just as we saw in the spring.

All other restrictions are extended as well, including the assembly ban of 10 people, which will no doubt continue to affect F&M's (as well as QM’s) official events.

That is such a shame. And of course we will miss out on the New Years Courts, something I look forward to every year.

Last edited:
:previous:
What a nice gesture by Prince Frederik. I also believe he going to be a great King of Denmark.

Yes, I noticed that the guardsman making the update wrote "naturally".

Usually Frederik and QMII stops by the quarters of the guards on duty at Marselisborg on the way back from Aarhus Cathedral on Christmas Eve to wish the guardsmen a Merry Christmas.
No doubt she did so this year as well.

However, M&F spend Christmas at Amalienborg, so no doubt he felt it right and proper and indeed wished to wish the guardsmen on duty there a Merry Christmas as well.

Guard duty on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve is very sought after among the guardsmen. And practically everyone on duty these nights have signed up voluntarily.

This post covers two threads actually.

Partly as behind the scenes coverage of the interaction between Mary and one of the designers of her dresses, but also the interaction between Mary as a private person and the designer as a private person.
So I have decided to place it here and leave it to the mods whether it should be placed in a fashion thread instead.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/jesper-hoe...ronprinsessen-jeg-maatte-lige-nive-mig-selv-i
This article is about the designer, Jesper Høvring, who as some of you will know has designed quite a few dresses for Mary.
Married, with two children, he started his business in 2000.

In 2009 Mary's stylist Anja Alaidi called him, asking if she could drop by with the Crown Princess.

They were however very late, so Mary ended up having to try out a number of dresses in his basement, because the other booths were occupied.
That seance ended up in Jesper Høvring creating and making the orange dress Mary wore at the grand New Year Court ion 2010. (See photo.)
After being informed that she was to wear the ruby parure, he went to Fredensborg where M&F lived at the time to meet with Mary and her stylist.
Bringing with him sketches and samples of fabric, he, Mary and Alajdi sat on the floor discussing away.

Over time he has created more dresses for Mary but he also happens to live in the part of Copenhagen called Hellerup, where the Tranegårds school is located and his son ended up in the same age group as Christian, but in another class. As such he occasionally meet Mary as a mother and also as such has a more personal relationship with her.

"My employees use formal You in regards to the Crown Princess. I'm very much into that. And for the first times we were also on formal You. But when the dresses are to be adjusted you do get close, so that would be odd." So some times they are informal.

"We are also informal at the school. There I might very well meet the crown Princess wear tennis wear or riding gear and wearing a cap, while I'm standing in my jogging suit and then it simply isn't formal You. But there she isn't The Crown Princess. There she is Mother."

He adds that the court has never given him guidelines in regards to how to address Mary.

"But if I meet her at a party and at an event where other people are present, then we use formal You."

Jesper Høvring is delighted about having Mary is a client, apart perhaps from QMII herself, that's as high as he can rise in Danish context.
He doesn't have other royals among his clients, but making a dress for Mette Marit or Victoria or for an Oscar could be fun.

"She (Mary) is the highest ranking costumer you can have these days. In that we are really only exceeded by the Queen. And the crown Princess is incredibly conscious about what she is wearing all the time. She also has a very skilled stylist, but she is also very skilled herself."

(...)

"We are also informal at the school. There I might very well meet the crown Princess wear tennis wear or riding gear and wearing a cap, while I'm standing in my jogging suit and then it simply isn't formal You. But there she isn't The Crown Princess. There she is Mother."

(...)

Thanks Muhler :flowers:

Always nice to hear from behind the scenes.

And yes there Mary is not the Crown Princess. There she is Mother.
Droping off and picking up her children at school in sports and riding clothes.
There is a big difference between being the Crown Princess and in private just being mother. Good people know the difference.

Thanks for that Muhler. I always like his designs, and clearly The Crown Princess likes to ocassionally be a little bold, daring and different, and his designs work well in that regard without crossing the boundaries. I look forward to his future designs.

With the new mutated Covid-19 virus Denmark is again in a really serious situation and our Prime Minister has just held another press conference, which I think will affect F&M's (and Queen Margrethe's for that matter) official calendar quite much:

Denmark is already in a lockdown, school are closed and people are encouraged to work from home, but from tomorrow even more restrictions are required:

- The assembly ban is lowered from 10 people to only 5 people.

- The authorities recommend that everyone limits social contact to a maximum of 5 people in addition to their household, and that no more than 5 people meet at home.

- Authorities give a strong appeal to cancel all unnecessary appointments until at least 17. January.

- The distance requirement changes from one to now two meters. This applies to both grocery stores and in the public space.

The new restrictions apply until 17. January.
But our Prime Minister states that it most likely may be necessary to extend all or some of them.

With a maximum of 5 people allowed and a minimum distance of 2 meters, I think we are back to where it is very difficult for official events to take place, even minor unofficial events. I think we are back to like it was in the very begining where we will see F&M work from home and post some updates from their Zoom visits/meetings and I doubt we will see much of the Queen.

Last edited:
This is a follow up article about the designer Jesper Høvring and what goes on behind the scenes in regards to designs and Mary.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/jesper-hoevring-designer-kjoler-for-mary-saadan-er-de-kongeliges-uskrevne

It is often a puzzle, because how is the dress to be designed? There are a number of considerations to take into account. And what if others of his costumers are to attend the same event as Mary?

46 year old Jesper Høvring doesn't make the dresses, he draw and designs them.

There are only few rules set in stone though.
"I tend to believe that as a rule, if it's an event by the Queen, like the Queen's birthday, then Princess Marie and the Crown Princess were something recycled. Because then it's the Queen who must shine.
At the New Year Court at the other hand, that is more for everybody, then they can have something new made."

When Jesper Høvring is to create a dress for Mary, it takes place in close co-operation with Mary' stylist, Anja Alajdi. They discuss the style and function the dress must have.
"If the Crown Prince for example is to wear the Order of the Elephant, then the dress cannot by asymmetrical across the shoulders and if it's during the winter it may have long sleeves."

Often Mary and the stylist have decided what jewels to wear and that may influence the design and color of the dress.
"It's after all something historical when I stand with the ruby parure over the head of the Crown Princess to see if it match the color, or when I stand with the Order of the Elephant at Amalienborg."

Jesper Høvrings doesn't always know for what event he is designing a dress and if the clients don't tell him, he never asks.
"Discretion is important and I believe that the information I need to know, I will be told."
Because he also designs dresses and outfits that are used by Mary at private events and which may not be known by the press.

As he also designs dresses for ministers, celebs and other high profile persons it happens that dresses are similar. Also at the same party.
"But that's why I don't color-co-ordinate. I base the design on my costumer and ask what they would like to wear."

As far as he knows there are no rules regarding the colors in regards to dresses worn by Mary and our Marie in relation to what QMII is wearing.

It also happens that he designs a dress, but then something changes.
That happened with a dress for Mary at a wedding in Sweden, where the weather suddenly became so warm, that Mary chose another.
"The Crown Princess can easily put on a dress that I have no idea she will be wearing. Perhaps she puts on a ten year old dress. And then I can have a costumer, for whom I have made something similar."

Mary often recycle her dresses and that means Jesper Høvring have several times remade his own designs or that of others.

Mary wore and Orange and green dress and the wedding of CP Victoria.
"That was afterwards made into a dress she wore in New York later. There it was more sexy."
Sometimes it's the other way around, a sexy dress is made more modest.
That happened with a blue dress Mary had seen at a show at Nimb, which Mary would like to have.
"Then we made a new upper part for it, that wasn't see-through, so that it could be used for a court."

Even though he mainly makes dresses for Mary it happens that she buys standard outfits from the shelves as well. Like suits.
"She's allowed to buy from the standard collection six months before everybody else."

And the DRF are paying costumers like everybody else.

Jesper Høvring is not at all displeased with M&F having two daughters.
"It sure could be fun, if they could use some of it (Mary's clothes), so that it could be made to fit them instead."

Last edited:
Mary and Frederik were pictured at the Christiansborg Riding Arena last Saturday, January 9:

** anp gallery **

I took a little peek in the weekly magazine.

Last Saturday (9. January) in the beautiful sunny weather Mary was spotted at Christiansborg's riding arenas (where the royal horses are stabled during the winter months). She came driving and had dog Grace with her, who happily jumped out when Mary opened the trunk of the car. Mary was spotted while riding the horse Edelmann at the sunny outdoor riding arena. The magazine writes she perhaps is training for more horse competitions. Maybe she simply just enjoyed a ride.
A little later, Frederik came driving with Isabella and Josephine (and a girl look to be Isabella’s friend) who all joined. The magazine writes that Isabella's horse Lancet and Josephine's pony are also stabled at Christiansborg's royal stables during the winter. I doubt much that the weekly magazine knows anything about who the horses belongs to, but I mean to know that the horses were stabled at Fredensborg’s horse stables all summer and probably also will in the future if the Crown Prince family will continue to live in Kancellihuset during the light months.

Added:
Looking at the pictures it is obvious that the weekly magazine got it wrong: Frederik, Mary, Isabella, Josephine and Isabella's friend were all already at Christiansborg's riding arena when the photographer heard/got information they were there. So when the photographer shows up, he sees Frederik with Isabella, Josephine and a friend leaving the riding arena and driving home. Mary stays and trains a little extra alone before she is also seen going to her car and driving home with Grace.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice day for riding. It looks to be a common interest for the family. Love seeing the family dog Grace out and about with them.

Two very small trivia about M&F, but they nevertheless add to the picture of them.

Hotdog stands have been a part of the street-image in the towns and cities in DK since 1921.
https://politiken.dk/incoming/img8064362.ey5z9z/ORIGINALS/original_1500/Title mangler
Here is one, owned by Henrik Hjuler and his wife. Located as far as I can tell outside Hotel D'Angleterre in downtown Copenhagen.
He tells a little bit about his life and people coming to his stand, among them M&F.
"The CP-couple often drops by. It's nice to see them in a little more laid back setting."

The second trivia is by the then TV2's correspondent in USA, Johannes Langkilde.

Back in 2016 M&F were visiting New York, and he covered the event. At some point the Danes hosted a dinner with dance and Jens Langkilde is apart from being a journalist an accomplished pianist. He almost chose music rather than becoming a journalist.
Anyway, he got behind the piano and opened the ball with a piece of music M&F had asked for: Isn't She Lovely.
M&F too opened the ball by going out on the dance floor and while dancing they locked eyes with Johannes Langkilde and Frederik gave him a thumbs up:
"While he was dancing with Mary! While everybody was standing, looking on! It has to mean that he liked the music. - That was fun."
- It is an episode he remembers with pride.

https://www.bt.dk/kendte/johannes-langkilde-jeg-lignede-en-ko-i-en-transportstald
(No photo of M&F, the link is merely for reference.)

Good digging. :flowers:

To me that's one of the better clip of M&F, just enjoying each other's company. And as we have observed so often, Mary has a tendency to become girlish when around Frederik.

As for the hotdog: This is what you should treat yourself to: https://fredericiaavisen.dk/wp-cont...033_277213892934286_7533377881339068416_n.jpg

And a further description in English: https://www.towhatplace.com/features/traditional-danish-hot-dog/

Fortunately the hotdog stands are still open, despite Corona, and about the only places you can eat hot food right away these days.

Look what I found! :lol: I hope this link works. It even has your talented newsman Johannes Langkilde on the keyboard. M&F are the absolute best!! I'm even a bit hungry now for a hotdog.;)

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...mary-og-kronprins-frederiks-fortryllende-dans

Good digging. :flowers:

To me that's one of the better clip of M&F, just enjoying each other's company. And as we have observed so often, Mary has a tendency to become girlish when around Frederik.

As for the hotdog: This is what you should treat yourself to: https://fredericiaavisen.dk/wp-cont...033_277213892934286_7533377881339068416_n.jpg

And a further description in English: https://www.towhatplace.com/features/traditional-danish-hot-dog/

Fortunately the hotdog stands are still open, despite Corona, and about the only places you can eat hot food right away these days.

They are! The others dance so classic while Frederik & Mary just have a blast dancing together at that dancefloor. A fun dance that can only give one a smile on the lips. These two just can something special. F&M are such a royal couple who are good individually, but best together.

This clip reminds me how much I miss seeing F&M on these official visits and travels which Covid-19 has put an end to for a year now ... and will probably continue to do for quite a few more months. Updates from the home office and etc. during all these lockdowns are the only and best way in these times yes, but it are of course not the same at all. We miss those royal official visits, don’t we?

Thanks Lady Daly and Muhler for the nice clip and story :flowers:

And yes a hotdog (and don’t forget a cold Cocio) is a must if you visit Denmark one day!

Last edited:
Video of Mary out riding at Christiansborg Slot with Grace but her side.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKhVTeZB5eP/

It's nice to see her catching up on her hobby. After 16 years as a busy Crown Princess and mother of 4, she has taken advantage of the extra time.

With a bit of luck we will see her at an equestrian event sometime in the second half of 2021.

Perhaps at the Hubertus Hunt in October? I don't really believe that though. Race horses and dressage are two different ways of riding and I think Mary prefer to focus on one thing at a time.

Indeed lovely to see the Crown Princess quietly practicing dressage; is it the cousin who trains the Danish dressage team...Nathalie de Berleburg?

Video of Mary out riding at Christiansborg Slot with Grace but her side.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKhVTeZB5eP/

It's nice to see her catching up on her hobby. After 16 years as a busy Crown Princess and mother of 4, she has taken advantage of the extra time.

I love how beautiful little Grace follows her and the horse carefully around in the ring.. Grace follows her everywhere. A border collie is such a good and intelligent dog ?

Where Covid-19 indeed is a tough time for many reasons, and also mentally for everyone, the pandemic has not only brought bad things with it. For pretty much everyone a closed down world has meant much more time for your family, your hobbies, yourself.
Perhaps especially for an future King and Queen this time (a longer break, slower time) is an opportunity they may never get the opportunity to get again. I can only believe that F&M also must be enjoying these past corona times as well.

It has been a busy time for CP Mary since 2004. New country, new language, new world, high expectations and demands to a woman in a new world marrying the future King. Mother of 4 small children and royal duties to take care of. Now all four kids are getting older and a pandemic has shut down the world.. it gives Mary more free time to once again have plenty of time for her big hobby; horses. We can clearly see (due to all these little “stories” from ordinary people) that these times has given Mary time to not only be mother, wife and crown princess, but time to simply be... Mary.

These little 'news' from people bumping into F&M in the streets also give a insight into how we ordinary Danes respect F&M's private space. We see them yes, we maybe greet them if the situation is to it, we get a friendly nod, a ‘hi’ and smile back, let our dogs greet each other, some take a few respectful photos yes, but I will guess 99% of the Danes respect their private space very much.

Last edited:
Indeed lovely to see the Crown Princess quietly practicing dressage; is it the cousin who trains the Danish dressage team...Nathalie de Berleburg?

Yes. The one who got marries to Michael Ahlefeldt and who now resides at Egeskov Castle.

Yes. The one who got marries to Michael Ahlefeldt and who now resides at Egeskov Castle.

No, that is her elder sister Alexandra.
Natalie, who trains the dressage team, is married to German Alexander Johannsmann and lives in Berleburg AFAIK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom