General News about Frederik, Mary and Family Part 18: June 2020 - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary attended the World Championships in Jumping, Dressage, Para Dressage and Vaulting in Herning again yesterday, August 8:

** tt.se gallery **

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary met the Danish team for the SailGP in Copenhagen this morning, August 19.

** instagram post **

"Off to Oceankaj in Copenhagen this weekend, nine nations will compete in the global sailing championship SailGP. It is fantastic that Denmark once again provides the framework for a Grand Prix in sailing's most prestigious league. Because in addition to offering world-class sport, the league also promotes sustainability in the world's oceans.
We visited the Danish team this morning and wished them luck in the coming days
The Crown Prince Couple."

Last edited:
The Crown Prince Couple competed against each other as a prelude to the final race day at the Sail Grand Prix in Nordhavn

"Earlier today we had the opportunity to compete against each other in a trial sailing with the Danish and Australian teams respectively in the competition ���� ���� It was a close race, where Team Australia won"

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChfPq30Dgw6/?hl=el

Video

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChfGYGojsXb/?hl=el

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...r-kaploeb-frederik-giver-sin-mary-et-sejrskys

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...onprinsesse-mary-i-kamp-sejlede-hver-sit-land

I was trying to think of other foreign royal brides (married to the heir or Sovereign) whose country of origin continues to play a role in their official life (I assume in all cases it will continue to play a role in their private lives) - as for Mary it clearly does at times (for example, she will visit the Australian team when at the Olympics).

It seems that the only comparable royal bride would be Princess Charlene whose connection to South Africa is also very visible in her official agenda.

For example, queen Máxima or the heriditary duchess of Luxembourg don't seem to have such an official agenda related to their home countries (which in the case of Máxima is probably related to her father's history as well).

Last edited:
I was trying to think of other foreign royal brides (married to the heir or Sovereign) whose country of origins continues to play a role in their official life (I assume in all cases it will continue to play a role in their private lives) - as for Mary it clearly does at times (for example, she will visit the Australian team when at the Olympics).

It seems that the only comparable royal bride would be Princess Charlene whose connection to South Africa is also very visible in her official agenda.

For example, queen Máxima or the heriditary duchess of Luxembourg don't seem to have such an official agenda related to their home countries (which in the case of Máxima is probably related to her father's history as well).

IMO it's very deliberate that Mary continues to be so closely affiliated with Australia.
Partly because it's more or less an unwritten rule that the heir marry a foreigner, so we are used to having a foreign born consort who maintains an affiliation with her home country.

But I think the main reason is much more practical: Denmark has never let go of the main reason why kings married foreigners: To strengthen international relations.
Beforehand it was a question of alliances, today it's more a question of diplomacy, commerce and closer foreign relations.
F met M at a time when DK was starting in earnest to enter the Australian market. Having a foot there in the shape of Mary with a good story gave DK a slight edge in relation to our competitors. When you are a small country every little thing helps.
And in contrast to some other royal families the DRF has for generations been used to help and support Danish trade. Almost aggressively so in fact.
We are basically a country of door to door-salesmen and we will use every means at our disposal to get through your door and get you to buy our products. :D Foreigners in our royal family is an additional piece in that approach.

A third reason is also very practical. A foreign spouse means her family is mainly abroad somewhere. They may make a spectacle of themselves, but it's mainly somewhere else. Out of sight, out of mind. And the Jante Law/Tall Poppy Syndrome doesn't really apply to a foreign spouse so there is much less envy. Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of Mary-detractors are foreigners - who in most cases don't even know the basics about DK and Danish culture, let alone mindset.
And of course she should be allowed to visit her family and old country from time to time. That's seen as a normal thing to do.

So Mary is not only allowed to maintain a close affiliation with Australia, but encouraged and it would be seen as very odd if she didn't.
I will go as far to state that it's expected of her and an important part of her job.

The same thing with our Marie for that matter. Even though she has fully embraced DK and Danish culture on a personal level, she is still very much our French connection and is expected to help cementing that connection at every opportunity.

There is little doubt in my mind that had Alexandra still been a member of the DRF, she and Joachim would constantly be shipped to East Asia to represent Danish interests there.

So to sum up: Mary maintains a strong affiliation with Australia, because that's considered an important part of her job.
And because it's seen as a normal thing, because of the strong tradition of DRF members marrying foreigners.

Should Christian marry someone from say Nigeria, she would be very much used to further Danish relations and commerce with African countries south of Sahara.

Last edited:
To give my two cents on Mary and her Australian ties: F&M sometime visits Australia during holidays (once every couple of years maybe?) and for international events like the Olympics, they also make an effort to meet the Australian team in addition to the Danish team.

IMO it does help to:
(1) present themselves as having close family ties with Mary's family, even if they are not royal or famous;
(2) present Mary as someone who hasn't forgotten where she came from, just because she married a future king - as "acting normal" and "down to earth" is part of their approach
(3) promote themselves on the international stage, especially beyond Europe. They are the most reported royals after the BRF in Australian media because of Mary (for 3rd place, I'd say Charlene, due to the "scandals":whistling:)

There is also some risk, as Mary has been frequently asked by the media "Which team do you support?" and she has been careful in her choice of words. But in this day and age, I think people are less critical because no one expects you to forget who you are after getting married. It should be fine as long as Mary does not outright support AUS over DEN in any serious/official event.

Anyway, just my two cents:flowers:

Last edited:
IMO it's very deliberate that Mary continues to be so closely affiliated with Australia.
Partly because it's more or less an unwritten rule that the heir marry a foreigner, so we are used to having a foreign born consort who maintains an affiliation with her home country.

But I think the main reason is much more practical: Denmark has never let go of the main reason why kings married foreigners: To strengthen international relations.
Beforehand it was a question of alliances, today it's more a question of diplomacy, commerce and closer foreign relations.
F met M at a time when DK was starting in earnest to enter the Australian market. Having a foot there in the shape of Mary with a good story gave DK a slight edge in relation to our competitors. When you are a small country every little thing helps.
And in contrast to some other royal families the DRF has for generations been used to help and support Danish trade. Almost aggressively so in fact.
We are basically a country of door to door-salesmen and we will use every means at our disposal to get through your door and get you to buy our products. :D Foreigners in our royal family is an additional piece in that approach.

A third reason is also very practical. A foreign spouse means her family is mainly abroad somewhere. They may make a spectacle of themselves, but it's mainly somewhere else. Out of sight, out of mind. And the Jante Law/Tall Poppy Syndrome doesn't really apply to a foreign spouse so there is much less envy. Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of Mary-detractors are foreigners - who in most cases don't even know the basics about DK and Danish culture, let alone mindset.
And of course she should be allowed to visit her family and old country from time to time. That's seen as a normal thing to do.

So Mary is not only allowed to maintain a close affiliation with Australia, but encouraged and it would be seen as very odd if she didn't.
I will go as far to state that it's expected of her and an important part of her job.

The same thing with our Marie for that matter. Even though she has fully embraced DK and Danish culture on a personal level, she is still very much our French connection and is expected to help cementing that connection at every opportunity.

There is little doubt in my mind that had Alexandra still been a member of the DRF, she and Joachim would constantly be shipped to East Asia to represent Danish interests there.

So to sum up: Mary maintains a strong affiliation with Australia, because that's considered an important part of her job.
And because it's seen as a normal thing, because of the strong tradition of DRF members marrying foreigners.

Should Christian marry someone from say Nigeria, she would be very much used to further Danish relations and commerce with African countries south of Sahara.

Certainly, Danish royalty have been networking internationally at least since Christian IX and Louise dispatched their progeny all across Europe!

This is just the way it works in modern days.

I was trying to think of other foreign royal brides (married to the heir or Sovereign) whose country of origin continues to play a role in their official life (I assume in all cases it will continue to play a role in their private lives) - as for Mary it clearly does at times (for example, she will visit the Australian team when at the Olympics).

What about the Queen of Sweden: Have her working trips to Germany belonged to her official or unofficial agenda?

You make very good points, but nonetheless, weren't Prince Henrik's continuing connections to France perceived rather negatively?

What about the Queen of Sweden: Have her working trips to Germany belonged to her official or unofficial agenda?
It depends; were her trips to Germany linked to her background? Is she showing signs of a special interest in Germany (compared to other countries)? I mostly link her to Brazil but might not have the full picture.

The same could be said about the hereditary princess of Liechtenstein. She is a German (Bayern) duchess by birth but I don't see her 'building on that heritage' other than what would normally be expected for a neighboring country (that even speaks the same language) - except for personal/family connections (but that is mostly with fellow royals or nobles and not so much with Germany in general).

Please get back to the topic of this thread and discuss general news of the Crown Prince family only, thank you!

Another member kindly made me aware of this BT article, that is somewhat critical of M&F being associated with the company Rockwool, in connection with the sailing competition. Including them sailing in boats carrying the Rockwool logo and so forth.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kronprinsp...-rockwool-paa-maven-det-virker-malplaceret-og

First. Rockwool is a company producing isolation for buildings and they have so far opted not to close their branches in Russia for various reasons. - We can discuss the morality of that but that's not the point of this post.

The BT journalist angles his article on why M&F are not careful to distance themselves from Rockwool, just like they (the DRF) eventually did with the shoe company Ecco as it leaves them vulnerable to criticism and accusations of being hypocritical.

Well, the journalist is right, but mostly wrong IMO.
On the face of it he is right, being a part of the official Denmark the DRF ought probably distance themselves from controversial companies.
However, this contest was planned long ago, with Rockwool as one of the main sponsors. (Apart form that the Rockwool Foundation is often contributing means to other projects and events attended or supported by the DRF.) And such an event is something where M&F are expected to show the flag. It's promoting Denmark as well as promoting Danish racing-boat building.
So M&F can't both boycott Rockwool and promoting Denmark at the same time.

And that is a major problem, not only for the DRF but other royal families as well. Sometimes they have to attend events and go to places that directly or indirectly represents something they are against. Akin to Mary meeting representatives of the Taliban. Mary being an advocate of women's rights. But if diplomatic circumstances dictates it, Mary has to go.

So the article IMO is a cheap shot at M&F - or the journalist really hasn't understood that sometimes you have to do the opposite of what you stand for and appear to be a hypocrite.

- Because it's not only M&F who appear "hypocritical" in regards to Rockwool. What about the Danish government? Danish politicians? Danish participants in these races? The spectators? Me as a potential buyer of products? The journalist himself? The media house he is working for?
If all of the above don't distance themselves from Rockwool, aren't they all hypocrites as well?

I think critics of royals have a tendency to set standards that are often impossible for royals to follow.
I also believe you should be careful about setting a standard for others that you cannot or is unwilling to set for yourself. Be they royals or not.

There is a saying in DK: If having a (moral) standard is good, then having a set of double standards must be twice as good.

- That's a pit quite a lot tends to fall into. Myself included at times.

Last edited:
What's the issue with ECCO? Why was there a need for the DRF to distance themselves from this shoe label?

:previous: Ecco have opted not to participate in the boycott Russia following the invasion of Ukraine and still actively operate their approximately 250 shops in the country.

And the RF dropped them as "royal warrant" (or the Danish equivalent) holders didn't they?

So nice to see them often having some ordinary quality time.
You simply cannot put a price on such activities.

It's always cute to see Frederik out and about with the "babies" :wub:

BB informs us that the CP family has moved out at Kancellihuset at Fredensborg and moved in at Amalienborg. (They still have their offices at Amalienborg, so they are there pretty much ever day.)
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...lien-er-flyttet-fra-fredensborg-her-bor-de-nu

It's a part of an old tradition that at least the Regent Couple move residence regularly.
M&F have in the past years begun to follow that tradition, so that they live at Fredenborg for periods during the summer-half (*) of the year. (Exceptions of course being while on vacation and the periods they spend at Trend during say the Autumn Holiday in week #52. (**) That's next week BTW.

(*) In DK we tend to divide the year into the winter-half and the summer-half of the year. Roughly 1st April to 1st October being the summer-half.
It is not equivalent to saying the summer-months or winter-months. Because in DK that's from 1st June to 1st September and 1st December to 1st March respectively.
Do you have a handy English expression for the summer-half and winter-half of the year?

(**) In DK we number the weeks in daily speak. If you ask me whether I'm available for say a wedding on 7th April. I'll look slightly confused. But is you add it' in week #17, then I know pretty much right away when it is.
So week #7 - That's the school winter holiday (for most schools that is).
And weeks 15-22 that's the confirmation weeks - useful to keep in mind if you have many nieces and nephews.
Weeks 27-31 - that where most have their summer holidays.
And week #42 is always the school autumn holiday.
- So while this seems very confusing to outsiders, it does make a lot of sense to us, and as such we constantly refer to week numbers, rather than rough days.

Last edited:
We don't divide our calendars like that. There is no "summer half" or "winter half." April to October comprises three different seasons, so it wouldn't make sense to call all of it "summer."

BB informs us that the CP family has moved out at Kancellihuset at Fredensborg and moved in at Amalienborg. (They still have their offices at Amalienborg, so they are there pretty much ever day.)
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...lien-er-flyttet-fra-fredensborg-her-bor-de-nu

It's a part of an old tradition that at least the Regent Couple move residence regularly.
M&F have in the past years begun to follow that tradition, so that they live at Fredenborg for periods during the summer-half (*) of the year. (Exceptions of course being while on vacation and the periods they spend at Trend during say the Autumn Holiday in week #52. (**) That's next week BTW.

(*) In DK we tend to divide the year into the winter-half and the summer-half of the year. Roughly 1st April to 1st October being the summer-half.
It is not equivalent to saying the summer-months or winter-months. Because in DK that's from 1st June to 1st September and 1st December to 1st March respectively.
Do you have a handy English expression for the summer-half and winter-half of the year?

(**) In DK we number the weeks in daily speak. If you ask me whether I'm available for say a wedding on 7th April. I'll look slightly confused. But is you add it' in week #7, then I know pretty much right away when it is.
So week #7 - That's the school winter holiday (for most schools that is).
And weeks 15-22 that's the confirmation weeks - useful to keep in mind if you have many nieces and nephews.
Weeks 27-31 - that where most have their summer holidays.
And week #42 is always the school autumn holiday.
- So while this seems very confusing to outsiders, it does make a lot of sense to us, and as such we constantly refer to week numbers, rather than rough days.

Unless you're saying week 52 is somehow not the last week of the year, I don't see how next week isn't week 42.

Unless you're saying week 52 is somehow not the last week of the year, I don't see how next week isn't week 42.

Sometimes we have week 53, covering the last days of the year, depending on how the weekdays are arranged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom