Gender, Name and Godparent Speculation for Mary's Second Pregnancy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is it a boy or girl?

• Boy

Votes: 84 33.1%
  • Girl

Votes: 157 61.8%
  • Twins: boy & girl

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Twins: 2 boys

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Twins: 2 girls

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Madame Royale said:
I agree, Polly.

My father is foreign born and my mother is the daughter of European's herself. Speaking as someone with such strong European descent, does this mean that I am not Australian, though I was born and raised here? I think not.

Like you, I'm an Australian first and foremost and recognise within myself the values and beliefs that are attributed to our way of life.

For anyone to say that Mary was not Australian is very much the innacurate statement because she most certainly was. An Australian of European descent.

First, foremost and above all else :flowers:

I apologize if I have offended anyone's patriotic feelings here but what I meant was that Mary being Australian doesn't mean she should forget Scotland and her roots. Sure, she can be Australian and surely is but she can also be Scottish.

I myself don't very much identify myself with the part of my country I live in although I have been born here since my family is not from this part of the country originally. For myself I can say that I am Finnish but I recognize my roots which are finnish-swedish-norwegian-danish-polish-something (genealogy hasn't revealed yet). First and foremost I am an Earthling, then an European and then Finnish. And then there's the messier issue of identity inside Finland...

But I'm drifting here from the original subject sorry!

If the baby is a girl, I have this gut feel that she's going to be called Ingrid. Fredrick loves his grandmother very very much.

I hope, they don't call the baby Dagmar or Axel, as mentioned here. These are names, we have in Germany too and they are boring and oldfashioned. But royals like oldfashioned names, I think ...

For a boy: Eric Axel (has a nice ring to it i think?)

For girl: Emma Alice

Catharina said:
I apologize if I have offended anyone's patriotic feelings here but what I meant was that Mary being Australian doesn't mean she should forget Scotland and her roots. Sure, she can be Australian and surely is but she can also be Scottish.

Not that you had to, but it was nice of you to reply and make clear your posts intent, Catharina :flowers:

I like for a girl: Ingrid, Alexandra, Gabriela, Christina, Thyra, Dagmar, Charlotte;

for a boy: Viggo, Erik, Alexander, Axel.

Last edited:
Xeara said:
Christian Valdemar Henri John and

Magrethe Dagmar Henrietta Jane (I don't know, merely speculating)

I like your suggestion for girl names..very classy!:flowers:

And I really think that if it's a girl she should have Fred's Grand-mere's name in there (Ingrid).
And for some reason I really like Dagmar! I guess because it's a name I'd never heard before...

How about:

Margrethe Dagmar Henrietta Ingrid (Princess Meg/Maggie)

And in Australia they will be know by their very "Aussie" nicknames...

Mary, Fred, Chris & Meg ;)

UserDane said:
Rebafan, try this link for girls' names http://www.babyklar.dk/artikler/pigenavne.htm and this for boys' names http://www.babyklar.dk/artikler/drengenavne.htm.
This should be the lists of approved names and you can just click the individual letters to see the selection. At a quick glance it seems to comprise a lot of old-fashioned names as well which I don't know anybody who are named today - but of course they may reappear.
I don't know whether for example a name like Alexis is 'natural' to Holland; it wouldn't be in Denmark; I would personally prefer a name which has relevance to Frederik's and Mary's own roots.

Thank you UserDane. I will certainly look at the website. Thanks for your help:)

H.R.H. Prince Harald Olav Christian Frederik Michael
or
H.R.H. Princess Elizabeth - Mary Henrietta Theodora Louise
Godparents
Prince and Princess of Orange, Prince Andrew The Duke of York, Prince Henrik.

Thanks to UserDane I have been doing some research and have some suggestions....

H.R.H. Prince Johann Pieter Fredrik Holger
H.R.H. Prince Vilhelm Andre' Christian Joachim
or
H.R.H. Princess Caroline-Ingrid Juliana Margrethe
H.R.H. Princess Astrid Victoria Ingrid Margrethe
Just some suggestions......

Paula Margrethe Anne
:flowers:
simple and beautiful. lol :ROFLMAO:
I'm only sugesting the name Paula because a want a royal with my name, ok?
:lol:

Catharina said:

But I'm drifting here from the original subject sorry!
I don't want to go off-topic either, but no, Catharina, I wasn't at all offended. I was just offering an alternative perspective.

Best Wishes,

Polly

flctylu said:
question. was there a scand. prince called viggo? :flowers:
There was actually; he was the son of Prince Valdemar and Marie of Orleons and the grandson of King Christian IX. He died childless so there's no 'line' from him. He married an American woman in 1924 and then became Count Viggo of Rosenborg (the title which princes marrying non-royals get; QMII's two cousins have the same titel).

Personally, I don't favour the name Viggo - it's oddly old-fashioned I think. But of course someone like Viggo Mortensen (really unusual to see a man this age carrying the name of Viggo) has done a lot to increase the appeal of the name ;)

I think maybe they will suprise us and give the baby a very different name, nothing royal at all, like little christian!

I think the next one they will name after themselves in some fashion -- I really like that old-fashioned tradition of naming your daughter after her mother, and the son after the dad. Sweet.

Whatever the names will be, I am just so glad that royalty always express more taste in naming babies than Hollywood! Can you imagine a Princess Apple of Denmark or a Prince Michael Jackson of Denmark?
:lol:

I have been doing some "research" (i.e. googling ;) ) and have found there is a great shared history of Scotland and Denmark (via The Vikings) and I think Mary's father will suggest some names relevant to this fact...One of the forerunners is Harald, who was King at the time of the Viking invasion(s) of Scotland...I like Harald and I think "Harry" is a great modern nickname for it...I know there is another Prince Harry across the channel but he has a different full name...Prince Henry and Prince Harald, there is enough room for them both...and Chris and Harry sound so cute!!!

So my suggested combo is:

Prince Harald Abel Vilhelm Frederik

As a name is comes full circle:
Harald - Viking in Scotland, Mary is of Scottish descent
Abel - name of the Dutch explorer - Abel Tasman - who discovered Tasmania, wher Mary grew up and it is the name of a past Danish king/prince
Vilhelm - not sure just sounded good, maybe its connection to the British monarchy (William) ???
Frederik - name of the childs' Danish father, has a Scottish/Australian mother

What do you all think???

Xeara said:
I have been doing some "research" (i.e. googling ;) ) and have found there is a great shared history of Scotland and Denmark (via The Vikings) and I think Mary's father will suggest some names relevant to this fact...One of the forerunners is Harald, who was King at the time of the Viking invasion(s) of Scotland...I like Harald and I think "Harry" is a great modern nickname for it...I know there is another Prince Harry across the channel but he has a different full name...Prince Henry and Prince Harald, there is enough room for them both...and Chris and Harry sound so cute!!!

So my suggested combo is:

Prince Harald Abel Vilhelm Frederik

As a name is comes full circle:
Harald - Viking in Scotland, Mary is of Scottish descent
Abel - name of the Dutch explorer - Abel Tasman - who discovered Tasmania, wher Mary grew up and it is the name of a past Danish king/prince
Vilhelm - not sure just sounded good, maybe its connection to the British monarchy (William) ???
Frederik - name of the childs' Danish father, has a Scottish/Australian mother

What do you all think???

That's a very nice, balanced name for a boy :flowers:. But I do think that a Danish name will be first. Anything Scottish or connected to Mary's family will most likely be a middle name.

Harald is a Danish name (I think?)...King Harald was King of Denmark in circa 400-500 (?) at the time of the Viking invasions of Scotland (and everywhere else)...Sorry if you misunderstood me...It is a Danish name with Scottish connections ;)

Yes, Harald is a Danish name (probably also both Norwegian and Swedish).

We had a king called 'Harald Bluetooth' way back!;)

(***why are we almost entrirely discussing boys' names? After all, there is an order out for at least one girl, preferably two!:) ***

Harald might be okay as a name. It's been used in the royal family fairly recently, within the past 4 generations - Christian X's brother was called Harald.

Unfortunately, his wife was German (not that that is an offense in itself) and during the war, she invited German officials into their home. Such actions were not looked upon with kind eyes from the Danish population, which was occupied by the Germans, and when the war ended, Christian X banished his sister-in-law from the country. She was only allowed to return when her husband was on his deathbed.

But more recent memory is Harald of Norway, and from even further behind is Harald Bluetooth. (TRF's thread for discussion of Harald Bluetooth: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f24/harald-i-blatand-10622.html)

Karl Anton Knud Frederik Christian
or
Mary Christina Ingrid

Perhaps they'll confound us all and call their daughter 'Paris' and their son, 'Elvis'!!!

Whatever they decide, I'm sure that we'll come to feel affectionately towards the new baby prince or princess.

Polly

Edmund Alexander Christian Olle Jeppe Joachim
Josephine Alexandrine Olivia Mary Henrietta Dagmar

Dagmar Elisabeth Petra Ophelia

Frederick Alexandre Hamlet

????

Polly...what is wrong with Elvis? I realise that this is going to sound like a kneejerk reaction...but my 3 year old son actually IS called Elvis!!! ;) But his big sister is luckily not Paris...Or I would have to take you to task twice :)

Xeara said:
Polly...what is wrong with Elvis? I realise that this is going to sound like a kneejerk reaction...but my 3 year old son actually IS called Elvis!!! ;) But his big sister is luckily not Paris...Or I would have to take you to task twice :)

Everything is wrong with Elvis. "Prince Elvis" ... ehmm ... soulds like a rapper. ;) :cool:

However I am pretty sure we could all be very surprised, because the Royal Family tend to be as unconservative with the secound child as they are conservative with the first child.

Felix : People said, "what, that is a pet name for cat?".

Joachim : Name of Donald Ducks rich uncle in danish.

Name of Mary's secound child : Possible very suprising :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom