Frederik went Sailing while Willem-Alexander had a Birthday Party

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissSaga

Courtier
City
Manhattan
Country
United States
Aw I was soo sad when I saw that Mary and Frederik weren't there in Holland, but what the heck, look what a GREAT family time they had in Copenhagen with their two beautiful children.:wub:
That's what matters, not some bowtie event. Mary looks so tanned, really relaxed and amazing, same with Frederik, they were clearly really happy :flowers:

Aw I was soo sad when I saw that Mary and Frederik weren't there in Holland, but what the heck, look what a GREAT family time they had in Copenhagen with their two beautiful children.:wub:
That's what matters, not some bowtie event. Mary looks so tanned, really relaxed and amazing, same with Frederik, they were clearly really happy :flowers:

It is not 'some bowtie event'. It was a carefully planned and executed stylish and understated royal event at one of Europe's most impressive sites to celebrate the birthday of His Royal Highness The Prince of Orange, the Heir of a proud and illustrious House and future King of the Netherlands.

As I stated on other boards I sometimes doubt if Frederik sees himself as Freddie Laborde de Montpezat or as His Royal Highness the self-conscious and serious and aware Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Heir to one of Europe's eldest thrones.

His colleague at the other side of the Øresund, Crown Princess Victoria, seems to ooze the future kingship in every DNA-molecule. Not for the first time Crown Prince Frederik has given me (my purely personal opinion, of course) the idea of a spoiled brat. And his wife has never given the impression (again my purely personal opinion, of course) that she does have any idea at all: Copenhagen or Hobart? Ach... as long as there is a Prada shoestore in Main Street...

:wacko:

I might be totally wrong. And I will be the first to admit. And I hope I am terribly wrong. But it is the impression they make on me.

It is not 'some bowtie event'. It was a carefully planned and executed stylish and understated royal event at one of Europe's most impressive sites to celebrate the birthday of His Royal Highness The Prince of Orange, the Heir of a proud and illustrious House and future King of the Netherlands.
It sure still is just a bowtie event. It might mean a great deal to you because you're dutch, but for Mary and Frederik, there will be others. In the last two years, they've attended so many of them, abroad (Anniversaries, Birthdays) and in Denmark(Private friends or other "important" people), and I do not see why it was absolutely vital for them to attend Prince Willem-Alexander's 40th.

Henri, I am sure that Willem's birthday bash was lovely with lots of good beer and what have you. But still, I cannot but marvel at your ignorance of the other event that kept the crown prince of Denmark - Europe's oldest and finest monarchy (see, chauvanism is contagious... :lol: :rolleyes:) from getting their fair share of the undoubtedly fine and illustrious food and to enjoy the megawatt smile of Willem's lovely wife undoubtedly dressed in one of her numerous creations straight from Valentino or Nathan (which is where she shops all the time but she is from the monarchy so it is of course quite acceptable...) - but alas, 'twas not to be so this time.

(*** and silly remarks are contagious too :rolleyes:).....

And this was of course just my opinion :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that calling Willem Willie is rather unfortunate. Perhaps you could stick to Prince Pils while Henri can stick to Turbo Freddie... ;)

Though this is not the right forum for it, just to set something straight, Maxima isn´t promoting Dutch fashion, so she doesn´t need to wear dutch designs (thank god, just see what a dutch designer does to poor Laurentien).

I think that calling Willem Willie is rather unfortunate. Perhaps you could stick to Prince Pils while Henri can stick to Turbo Freddie... ;)

Though this is not the right forum for it, just to set something straight, Maxima isn´t promoting Dutch fashion, so she doesn´t need to wear dutch designs (thank god, just see what a dutch designer does to poor Laurentien).
Marengo, I quite agree! And I only use it as an illustration of how unattractive it is. I do not generally approve of twisting names that way.

...poor Laurentien? Do you mean at this event? I thought she looked gorgeous in the picture I saw of her! And even when she has major fashion slips, I find her charming and extremely likeable.

My reaction was to the apparent necessity of bashing other royals in an never-ending attempt to elevate one's own; I find it rather repulsive, excuse me for saying that.

The reaction in Danmark would have been the same.

"Where were the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima? I missed them at this event?"

"I believe they had an engagement scheduled."

"What engagement?"

"Dunno, it is not on the Court Circular."

"Is it an official act or something, that they remain absent?"

"No. A tournament or something. A competition I thought."

"Too sad the Dutch did not show up on such an event at Frederiksborg!"

Last edited:
Is it really that big of a deal that Fred wasn't there? So he missed it. No one from Monaco was there either. Or if they were I missed them. In the end the entire secrecy of the event annoyed me. Its fine if you want to have a private party with your family and friends on government owned property, that seems to be a perk he has rights to. But to invite such well known royals and then stress out your private intelligence services to keep them all in seclusion. Come on, that is not fair to the country/the taxpayers. I think had he had this private event with only a parade of Dutch royals, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it's the neccessity to invite so many foreign royals in an effort to celebrate in a grand way but at the same time SHHH! it's a secret for the most part. Silly! It's like he wanted to have a grand event for himself but he didn't want to draw comparisons or criticism of acting like a head of state before he is a head of state. So maybe that is why the secrecy and limited access. And besides those are his colleagues from other royal houses those are not his friends. Yes, he's known them for years but to be good ol' chums of all of them, nope, sorry I don't believe it for a second! I would think it would be more like acquaintances that share a similar thing, a royal background. I'm sure that Fred will make a point to be at W-A's 50th.

I highly doubt that any Dane, apart from a handfull of royalty watchers, would care if the dutch royals would come or not to a royal party in Denmark. Likewise there aren´t many Dutch people who care that the Danish crownprince was not present, only a handfull of royalty wachers.

Marengo, I quite agree! And I only use it as an illustration of how unattractive it is. I do not generally approve of twisting names that way.

I quite agree. And throughout this exchange I've noticed one member in particular who seems to think that an appropriate path to take.

My reaction was to the apparent necessity of bashing other royals in an never-ending attempt to elevate one's own; I find it rather repulsive, excuse me for saying that.

I'm sure a certain indavidual would be the first to over compensate for the qualities of both Willem-Alexander and Maxima (indeed, I believe they already have on occasion) if it were they who were spoken of so poorly.

I highly doubt that any Dane, apart from a handfull of royalty watchers, would care if the dutch royals would come or not to a royal party in Denmark. Likewise there aren´t many Dutch people who care that the Danish crownprince was not present, only a handfull of royalty wachers.

you are quite right, marengo. except from royal watchers, i doubt anyone else gets upset if any other crown princely couple does not attend a certain event with other crown princely couples. just to mention an example, nobody complained in spain (appart from royal watchers) when the princes didn't show up at any of the last birthdays (carl gustav of sweden, the king of thailand - both last year - or king harald or queen sonja's -this year), and i must say spanish press is quite difficult to handle and will complain about everything and anything, the smallest detail...

I think I must have missed something, was it Fred's 40th or Willem's?
I don't suppose anyone missed the Danish Crown Prince and his wife being at the celebrations and I am sure that the correct appologies were made for them not being able to attend for whatever reason.

William missed the Queen of Norway's birthday and nothing was said about it. So why the fuss because Fred missed William's birthday at least he wasn't sitting at home in front of the tv and twiddling his fingers.

Stellad

Is it really that big of a deal that Fred wasn't there? So he missed it. No one from Monaco was there either. Or if they were I missed them. In the end the entire secrecy of the event annoyed me. Its fine if you want to have a private party with your family and friends on government owned property, that seems to be a perk he has rights to. But to invite such well known royals and then stress out your private intelligence services to keep them all in seclusion. Come on, that is not fair to the country/the taxpayers. I think had he had this private event with only a parade of Dutch royals, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it's the neccessity to invite so many foreign royals in an effort to celebrate in a grand way but at the same time SHHH! it's a secret for the most part. Silly! It's like he wanted to have a grand event for himself but he didn't want to draw comparisons or criticism of acting like a head of state before he is a head of state. So maybe that is why the secrecy and limited access. And besides those are his colleagues from other royal houses those are not his friends. Yes, he's known them for years but to be good ol' chums of all of them, nope, sorry I don't believe it for a second! I would think it would be more like acquaintances that share a similar thing, a royal background. I'm sure that Fred will make a point to be at W-A's 50th.

Actually the Prince did succeed in his plan: he absolutely wanted an as private as possible party. And indeed a whole bunch of royals, nobles and other guests had the time of their life, even having a relaxed sports and games competition with each other, larded with a lunch in one of the hunting lodges on the Crown Estate. On Friday there was a private program, a banquet and grand royal fireworks in the palace park. They were barely disturbed by public or media. This must have been absolutely great for all the guests.

I'm sure that it was not the Prince's initial idea to 'snub' the public. It was his initial idea to create a careless and "free-to-breathe-because-there-is-no-media-around athmosphere" on his birthday party. And he did succeed.

The interested public finally did got nice videos on the news and lots of pictures in the newspapers, the magazines and on internet. I have not heard anyone so far in the Netherlands complainig that it was so discrete. There was -as always- nagging about the costs, but as this is a private event all costs are for the Prince, except the security which is a responsibility of the State. Since that became clear the nagging ended (except for the occasional die-hard here and there of course).

Prince Albert of Monaco is a head of state, by the way. And he has never had any substantial relationship with the Prince of Orange and/or Princess Máxima. In contrary to Crown Prince Frederik, or Crown Princess Victoria, or the Eearl of Wessex, he has never been private guests on the princely private estate.

It depends if an invitation was snubbed in my opinion. If Frederick and Mary were invited, turned it down and the only reason was a jaunt in a boat then it's a snub to Willem and Maxima but it isn't a snub to the Dutch as it's hardly a contradiction of foreign policy or government spat. It's more like a family falling out if there is any falling out and I dont think attendance at a birthday party provides a measuring stick for suitability as monarch and just as CP Victoria can be held up as dutiful for going, she could also be criticised for jetting to every party there is. It wasn't a state matter so it's really not that important IMO, though a shame if F and M did turn down an invitation when they had nothing better to do.

William missed the Queen of Norway's birthday and nothing was said about it. So why the fuss because Fred missed William's birthday at least he wasn't sitting at home in front of the tv and twiddling his fingers.

Stellad

Her Netherlands Majesty herself, also becoming 70 soon, honoured Her Norwegian Majesty with her radiant appearance, together with Princess Máxima. And the Queen had a pair of antique wooden sticks for Nordic walking in her luggage! The Prince was not twiddling his fingers anyway: he was abroad for an executive board's meeting of the Organisation Committee of the Olympic Games, if I remember it correctly.

:flowers:

Earlier this year 6 Duth royals travelled to Norway to honour the King for his 70th birthday: the Prince of Orange, (the heavily pregnant) Princess Máxima, Prince Friso, Princess Mabel, Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien. All three of them packed out with glittering jewels and enjoyed the festive atmosphere. It would have been 7 royals from the Netherlands, but The Queen excused her absence because she was hindred due to the formation of a new Government (which went -afterwards- smoothier than expected: the Queen invested all new ministers earlier that week).

The Queen in Stavanger, for Queen Sonja's birthday cruise.

Last edited:
It wasn't a state matter so it's really not that important IMO, though a shame if F and M did turn down an invitation when they had nothing better to do.
I don't understand the argument that they had nothing better to do :ermm: It is many many months since it was first mentioned that the Farr 40 World Championship would have some of its races in Copenhagen harbour - and that Frederik and several others had worked hard to attract the competition to Denmark; so how on earth was he to know that his Dutch colleague would celebrate his 40th birthday 3 or 4 months after his actual birthday? I would consider it a greater snub to the organisation in Denmark behind the competition if he just said 'sorry guys; I know we have all have been working our *** out to secure this competition, but this birthday invite just came up....".
The condition for participating in this event is that each yacht must be driven by its amateur owner/helmsman. So a decision to go to Holland instead would affect others than himself - notably the crew of 9 or 10 other people.

In this link - Farr 40 Worlds - Home - from September 2006 - it says at the bottom of the article that "The Rolex Farr 40 World Championship is in its ninth year and will celebrate its 10th anniversary in Copenhagen, Denmark in the summer of 2007".

So what is so wrong with honouring an obligation that is at least one year old??

I think this thread this a bit of than overreaction. Frederik had a Farr 40 event last weekend. He was busy he couldn't go.

Last edited:
So what is so wrong with honouring an obligation that is at least one year old??

Nothing, I think it would have been offensive to the ogranisers of the Farr 40 World Championship if he didn't compete.

It depends if an invitation was snubbed in my opinion. If Frederick and Mary were invited, turned it down and the only reason was a jaunt in a boat then it's a snub to Willem and Maxima but it isn't a snub to the Dutch as it's hardly a contradiction of foreign policy or government spat. It's more like a family falling out if there is any falling out and I dont think attendance at a birthday party provides a measuring stick for suitability as monarch and just as CP Victoria can be held up as dutiful for going, she could also be criticised for jetting to every party there is. It wasn't a state matter so it's really not that important IMO, though a shame if F and M did turn down an invitation when they had nothing better to do.

Participation in the World Championships in Farr40 is a "jaunt in a boat" now? Frederik was instrumental in bringing these championships to Copenhagen, is an honorary member of the yacht club that was hosting the event, and has a boat that was participating. To say "I'm not participating because I have to attend a birthday party, which was postponed in the first place because the wife of the birthday boy gave birth..." wouldn't have shown much team-spirit to his team-mates.

If he hadn't been competing, but sailed for leisure, I would have understood the critique. But as it is... not really.

King Harald misses his own wife's birthday most years because of the way it is situated in the middle of the competitive sailing season - but few here on these boards are in an uproar about that. :ermm:

Ach... let us hope to see The Crown Prince and -Princess of Norway in the Netherlands when the Prince of Orange will assume the kingship. I look forward to see the Danish couple attending the festivities and the Enthronement ceremony.

In January Queen Beatrix will celebrate her 70th birthday. It is not known yet if something special will be organized. But in such a case I expect Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik to attend, for several reasons of course.

:flowers:

Sailling for him is a very important thing, just like a job, he is competing, not pleasure and if he had this schedule for a long time (this races are all schedule from the beginning of the season) I don't think we should critizice him for not beeing present at this private birthday party, lets hope now that Willem-Alexander don't get angry with them!! Lets hope that!

I did not refer to Prince William twiddling his thumbs but Fred. Be that as it may, quite a few of you put it so rightly Fred played a huge part in getting the sailing championship in Denmark way before Prince William's birthday so there was no way he would not participate. I'm sure that Prince William would be understanding of that.

Stellad

Actually the Prince did succeed in his plan: he absolutely wanted an as private as possible party. And indeed a whole bunch of royals, nobles and other guests had the time of their life, even having a relaxed sports and games competition with each other, larded with a lunch in one of the hunting lodges on the Crown Estate. On Friday there was a private program, a banquet and grand royal fireworks in the palace park. They were barely disturbed by public or media. This must have been absolutely great for all the guests.

I'm sure that it was not the Prince's initial idea to 'snub' the public. It was his initial idea to create a careless and "free-to-breathe-because-there-is-no-media-around athmosphere" on his birthday party. And he did succeed.

The interested public finally did got nice videos on the news and lots of pictures in the newspapers, the magazines and on internet. I have not heard anyone so far in the Netherlands complainig that it was so discrete. There was -as always- nagging about the costs, but as this is a private event all costs are for the Prince, except the security which is a responsibility of the State. Since that became clear the nagging ended (except for the occasional die-hard here and there of course).

Prince Albert of Monaco is a head of state, by the way. And he has never had any substantial relationship with the Prince of Orange and/or Princess Máxima. In contrary to Crown Prince Frederik, or Crown Princess Victoria, or the Eearl of Wessex, he has never been private guests on the princely private estate.

Perhaps you missed my point entirely. I don't care that W-A achieved his secret and private birthday party. Hooray for him that he did though! It's just that to me it was a bit of a snobby production and a reminder of just how wonderful and high the royal family is. I say this only based on how the production took place. Yes, Henri I know that Albert and W-A aren't of equal status I never actually mentioned Albert I just stated Monaco in general. I was simply making a comparison of how stupid it is that people are thinking badly of Fred when Monaco didn't send a respresentative and the British sent an Earl but didn't send someone of equal status really. I truly understand the circumstance for Charles and Camilla not attending. And that is exactly my point, well part of my point. Who am I to judge what is an important enough reason for a Crown Prince to miss the birthday party of another Crown Prince. All countries all positions of these RF's differ somewhat. Maybe to the Danish it would have been completely inappropriate for Fred to leave Copenhagen for a birthday party just as it would have been inappropriate for Charles to attend.

Last edited:
Maybe Frederik had it planned to be sailing at the same time as the party.

There are a few possibilities: Either the Prince of Orange and Frederik aren´t THAT good friends and therefore Frederik wasn´t invited.
Or he was invited but prefered to sail and cancelled. (Might be another sign that both aren´t big friends)
Well, we´ll never find out what happened. So let´s go on.
I must admit that I´m also a bit disappointed that none of (my favourite) Greek royals came. (Not invited or cancelled.) (I noticed that on Constantijn´s wedding only his godfather Constantine of Greece came but NOT Anne-Marie f.i. (to me a sign that the invitation of Constantine was only because of politeness but he and his godson don´t have really a relation...) I wonder why f.i. the Bulgarians were invited.
Might be because they´re good friends or the Prince of Orange finds it diplomatic to keep up relations with special royal houses for some reason.
It might also show a light how important some royal houses are considered all depending on whether they were invited or not. If that is the case I´m a little worried concerning the Greeks....

Marengo and Henri, please correct me if I'm wrong, but on a royal MB it was stated that Frederik was present on Aug. 31st for the fireworks display, but Mary wasn't with him. Apparently there is a picture of Frederik observing the display with other Royals.

I really think that all royal houses reigning and non-reigning had people that were invited that seems like the only fair thing to do. But I'm just guessing. I don't think that one can read anything into certain royals attending and certain ones not attending. That's just my opinion. Maybe people that didn't show were just busy, after all royal or not we all have pretty busy lives.

Maybe Frederik had it planned to be sailing at the same time as the party.

The logic in that is...?

As UserDane has already mentioned...

In this link - Farr 40 Worlds - Home - from September 2006 - it says at the bottom of the article that "The Rolex Farr 40 World Championship is in its ninth year and will celebrate its 10th anniversary in Copenhagen, Denmark in the summer of 2007".

It might also show a light how important some royal houses are considered all depending on whether they were invited or not.

That is a rather naive basis as to whether foreign royals were invited or not. If adhering to that "ideology", then Denmark being the oldest monarchy in continental Europe would have most certainly been in attendance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom