Frederik, Mary and Family on Summer Holidays: 2005-2008, 2012-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Imagine being Celiac and looking at all that...whimper!!

Dad and I did enjoy looking at it all. To the point he feels we should pack and head over for a visit. :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I told my husband that when we visited Denmark, a trip to the bakery is a must :D.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Thank you Muhler for the photos because they remind me of my long ago trips to France and more recent ones to visit my husband's family in Germany. His relatives spoiled us every day with the morning trek to the bakery.

:previous: The Google translate link does not work for me. Is she with Letizia and Felipe? Their names were mentioned in the article.

:previous: The Google translate link does not work for me. Is she with Letizia and Felipe? Their names were mentioned in the article.

It says that King Felipe is already in Palma while Queen Letizia will arrive in the coming hours.

Thank you, Marika86. Looks like Mary is indulging in some retail therapy with a girlfriend while Frederik is away. ;)

It's Birgitte Handwerk :) One of Mary's very closest friends, married with Jeppe Handwerk (probably Frederik's closest friend).

I wonder whether she will meet up privately with Felipe and Letizia.
It's nice seeing her enjoying her summer holiday and traveling. Do we know when she arrived and if the kids are with her?

Nice weekend trip for Mary. I wonder if they will stay a few days and have Frederik meet up with them or maybe it was a girl's only weekend trip

the article mentions that it is possible she is with frederik in palma, as the sailing competition Copa del Rey de Vela is taking place. she was also spotted shopping at Paseo del Borne, San Jaime and San Nicolás.

Sounds like this is a kids free vacation.As parents of four they need times like these :)

the article mentions that it is possible she is with frederik in palma, as the sailing competition Copa del Rey de Vela is taking place. she was also spotted shopping at Paseo del Borne, San Jaime and San Nicolás.
This is actually not possible since Frederik was (and still is, as I write this) in Malaysia from 30th July to 3rd August. And the Copa takes place from 1-8 August. But perhaps he will join Mary after tomorrow.

Maybe they will meet up later, Frederik is currently in Malaysia until August 3 for IOC meetings and some danish business promotion events .

Judging from the heartwarm interaction we have seen between Mary and King Felipe not that long ago, perhaps Mary was invited down for the weekend. Now that she is a grass-widow. (*)

(*) Idiom. Grass widow/widower = When the husband or wife is away.

Judging from the heartwarm interaction we have seen between Mary and King Felipe not that long ago, perhaps Mary was invited down for the weekend. Now that she is a grass-widow. (*)

(*) Idiom. Grass widow/widower = When the husband or wife is away.

Lol. Felipe would be a grass widow too, I don't think Letizia has arrived yet.
Felipe I believe is Vincent ' s godparent
I think Mary went there with some of her danish friends. But hopefully there is a reunion of some kind, maybe Frederik can fly to Spain for a few days of sun after Malaysia

Major royalty is still such a small select group...They can be free and Unbourdon themselves with People in the same odd glorified position who understand exactly.

Good point amaryllus. They are the only ones who can truly understand the situation.

:previous: Indeed. And that's why it's good to see the more primary royals associate and form personal friendships. I.e. the present younger monarchs and CP-couples in particular.
A by-product of these relationships is that their children will eventually meet and perhaps form bonds as well from an early age. - And who knows, the next royal-royal marriage may be founded within the next ten years. (*)

As Amaryllus pointed out, their positions are unique and their club very exclusive and it is no secret that they exchange ideas and benefit from each others experiences. Especially, I can imagine, the commoner spouses.
It is certainly a beneficial network that it would be a shame, perhaps even unwise, to opt out of.

(*) Let me see.
With 4 Danish children.
So far 1 Swedish child.
2 Spanish girls.
3 Dutch daughters.
3 Norwegian.
4 from Belgium.
(And these are just the children of the primary royals).
There is a reasonable chance that two of them will fall in love within the next ten-fifteen years or so.

I've omitted the Monaco family and the Luxemburg family, because I'm not certain they interact that much with the other royal families.
If I'm wrong that only widens the field.
I also left out the Greek royals, because chances are that Greece will remain a republic, so they are destined to become commoners within a generation or two.
And finally I left out the British children. Because unless W&K join the current younger royal network, George and Charlotte will only have limited interaction with the other royal children, while they are still children.

:previous: Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

Perhaps they all needed to see the sun? You know, that bright yellow thingy in the sky the legends here in Denmark speak of. :p
Yeah, okay, now that most people's summer holiday is over, the summer has started again.

Anyway, I can add that she and the children lived in a secluded and very discreet house.
Mary was supposed to have visited Queen Letizia, but that had to be cancelled due to the death of her grandfather.

Isn't that Josephine in the front? With the back to the camera. Same hat as Bella.

Last edited:
Love Christian's hat and sunnies! As for the little 'mystery girl', maybe it's one of the Handwerk daughters.

Over on the NEW MY ROYALS blog, there's some snarking about Mary having a vacation - she wants more publicity, crashing the SRF vacation, not taking care of her injured daughter, etc. People think royals have it so easy, but how would anyone like to have their every public move analyzed, scrutinized, and often critized? I enjoy looking at their pictures, but I wouldn't trade places with them for anything - I value my privacy too much.

"not taking care of her injured daughter" what?
we have seen Josephine be just fine enjoying her summer vacation with the family like her siblings...on the playground, heading to the horse stables on the bike, greeting the riders and accepting the many flowers...plus we have seen the kids are in Spain with her
some people wow!

according to this note, Mary and the kids have been in Mallorca for the past few days
https://www.inselradio.com/2015/08/03/daenische-koenigsfamilie-auf-mallorca/

picture of Christian and Isabella eating ice cream
CIMallorca_zpsohlvlow6.jpg Photo by picsspace | Photobucket

Isabella's facial expression in the photo of her eating ice cream is hilarious. She looks like she's modelling for a food add. :lol: I think it's possible the little girl with them could be Josephine, given the fact she's wearing the same hat as Isabella. The photo is also close up, and Josephine looks as if she's almost up to Christan's shoulders (though I agree, not quite). Haven't we seen that floral dress on Isabella before, or am I imagining things?

It'd be really lovely if Frederik, Mary and their children met up with Felipe, Letizia and the girls. And it's quite likely that they could, since I remember reading here that Mary and Felipe are friends.

Last edited:
according to this note, Mary and the kids have been in Mallorca for the past few days
https://www.inselradio.com/2015/08/03/daenische-koenigsfamilie-auf-mallorca/

picture of Christian and Isabella eating ice cream
CIMallorca_zpsohlvlow6.jpg Photo by picsspace | Photobucket

Thanks Polyesco :flowers: How cozy with a little Mallorca trip in the sun. Love the children's sun hats.

I see Bella has been shopping with mom in H&M ;)

So Mary and the children are with the Handwerk family in Mallorca while daddy has been away on work. Now Frederik maybe joining them this evening after his work in Malaysia. Or it may be too few days, Mary has to be back in Denmark on work already this Thursday.

And as Muhler says the Danish summer has been - ehm? Disappointing.
I guess Mary kissed Frederik farewell for his trip to Malaysia. Chatted with good friend Birgitte in the phone, while they looked out on the windy rainy Danish summer weather and Birgitte said.. hey take with us :D

:previous: Thanks, Polyesco. :flowers:

Isn't that Josephine in the front? With the back to the camera. Same hat as Bella.

Love Christian's hat and sunnies! As for the little 'mystery girl', maybe it's one of the Handwerk daughters.

I'm 98% sure it's little Palma Handwerk. 1,5 years younger than Isabella. I recognize Jeppe and Birgitte Handwerk's two girls pretty well by now, because we see them so often with Frederik, Mary and the children. And they has the same long hair as Bella and Josephine.

Last edited:
So Mary and the children are with the Handwerk family in Mallorca while daddy has been away on work. Now Frederik probably joining them this evening after his work in Malaysia.

It would be nice if Frederik joined them or if maybe they all went back to Denmark now.
according to a tweet by the Danish ambassador in Malaysia Nicolai Ruge (3 hours ago) Frederik has left Malaysia
"https://twitter.com/DKAMBinMalaysia/status/628196597432594433Wheels up! Crown Prince Frederik has left #Malaysia again after 4 busy days in #KualaLumpur. Welcome back anytime!"

Are Sofia and Leonor also on Mallorca these days?

Yes the girls are there. I doubt the blonde girl on the kids' picture is Josie, she should still have her arm in a cast.

:previous: Thanks. Duke of Marmalade. Yes, you are probably right. She's one of the Handwerks.

I was asking about Leonor and Sofia, because even though Queen Letizia wasn't at Mallorca, it would find it very natural if Mary popped in to say hi to King Felipe. And if Sofia and Leonor is there as well, Mary might bring at least her two oldest children and that would AFAIK be the first time the children meet.
We have seen before how children of friends establish their own network and that would be great I think. And the sooner the better.

Letizia and the girls went to Mallorca last Friday. Not sure when Mary's picture is dated.

Back
Top Bottom