Frederik, Mary and Family on Summer Holidays: 2005-2008, 2012-2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After reading about CP Mary and family going to Skagen over the years, I never thought that will be a place I will go one day, but life is funny and I've now been there.

Our ship, which was on it's last cruise of the Baltic Sea for the year as the seasons were changing, was - I think - the first cruise ship to call at Skagen.

(If not the first ship, the first for this cruise line - but I think it was the first actual ship of any line.)

It was a bit touch and go, as there is no port facilities yet able to cope with a ship of that size, so we had to go to shore on the tenders.

But, with everyone on board - and I think on land - biting their nails, it looked like we weren't going to get there due to such a dense fog, the advance party couldn't see their hand in front of them, let alone anything else.

After many hours, it lifted enough for thousands of us to descend on charming Skagen - and what a lovely welcome we got from the locals.

As we were pronouncing Skagen the Danish way, all the Danes were pronouncing it the English way for our "comfort".

We had all been informed of the artistic legacy of Skagen from an onboard lecture, that was then on constant replay on the ship's television system, so we were pretty informed about the place.

Many options were available, and no Muhler, though I was tempted to stand with one foot in the North Sea and the other in the Baltic, I ended up going to a castle and having a Danish pastry at a watermill, as a more Danish experience to have.

(And yes I know, it's not called a Danish in Denmark - we got the story about Vienna from many people.)

Lots of people, with their bikes, came to have a look at us in their town, and lots of other more "official" locals had set large marquees up, with displays of local products.

Many buses and guides had been rounded up, as people went to visit the sand-dunes, light-houses and buried churches.

Blue skies and warm sunshine after the fog went.

Hopefully, Skagen will stay on the itinerary as I'm sure there is great competition from other coastal towns about the Baltic - Estonia missed out on us, so we had a second day in Denmark.

Many people told us they are hopeful that this will provide employment for the young people of the area, as otherwise they need to leave for jobs away from home and family.

A lovely place, but particularly, lovely, lovely people.

Last edited:
Thanks for your story, Sun Lion. :flowers:

Yes, Skagen is a little gem except at the peak of the tourist season. Too crowded then.
As you may recall M&F have been holidaying there a number of times.

The DRF's communication chef Lene Balleby confirms in a Danish magazine out today that our Crown Prince Family will move into Gråsten Castle most of July month and will take over the summer tradition in Gråsten after Grandmother 'Mormor' Ingrid. Margrethe and Henrik are in Greenland the whole July until the 24th, so maybe it's also Frederik and Mary and children who will be the hosts for the annual gathering at Gråsten in late July?

If it's all are correct it's lovely and right in Frederik's grandmother Ingrid's spirit :)

With Gråsten as their summer base the CP-family has good opportunity to take off some days or weeks to Trend, Blokhus, Skagen etc. and to their close friends in Jutland.

The magazine also mentions that Margrethe already in 2004 said she hoped that Frederik and Mary and their children in a few years would take over Gråsten.

I wait to be absolutely sure before Billedbladet (or more trustworthy media also confirms it) though.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks, Roskilde. :)

That's a nice touch that will be much appreciated in Southern Jutland.
And M&F are eventually supposed to take over Gråsten Manor.

Wonder if they will have a little holiday at Trend as well?

Thats really nice that they can spend their summer there.
Do they drive there? Isn't it about 3 hours drive?

Im sure Frederik has very fond memories of Gråsten Manor.
And Mary and the kids seem to enjoy it to, this is where we have seen Frederik and Mary horseback riding right?

I think they enjoy Trend too but Gråsten Manor, might offer more options. And a nice touch to this part of DK.

The DRF's communication chef Lene Balleby confirms in a Danish magazine out today that our Crown Prince Family will move into Gråsten Castle most of July month and will take over the summer tradition in Gråsten after Grandmother 'Mormor' Ingrid. Margrethe and Henrik are in Greenland the whole July until the 24th, so maybe it's also Frederik and Mary and children who will be the hosts for the annual gathering at Gråsten in late July?

If it's all are correct it's lovely and right in Frederik's grandmother Ingrid's spirit :)

With Gråsten as their summer base the CP-family has good opportunity to take off some days or weeks to Trend, Blokhus, Skagen etc. and to their close friends in Jutland.

The magazine also mentions that Margrethe already in 2004 said she hoped that Frederik and Mary and their children in a few years would take over Gråsten.

I wait to be absolutely sure before Billedbladet (or more trustworthy media also confirms it) though.
I can understand why Margrethe would be ready to have her son and daughter-in-law take over this role. Hope that they can enjoy the place for many years to come.

This local North German Newspaper writes that Frederik, Mary and all four children will watch the ring riding parade at Gråsten Slot the 19th July:

Die Kronprinzenfamilie wird beim Gravensteiner Ringreiterumzug zuschauen

It fits well with the Crown Prince Family will spend much of their summer holiday at Gråsten :)

Im sure Frederik has very fond memories of Gråsten Manor.
And Mary and the kids seem to enjoy it to, this is where we have seen Frederik and Mary horseback riding right?

I think they enjoy Trend too but Gråsten Manor, might offer more options. And a nice touch to this part of DK.

This is exactly there we see F&M horseback riding in the morning in the forrest around. It's a nice place for summer holidays. Also close to Legoland.

And they all seems to truly enjoy being there.

That said, I much hope such a young family (in the coming years) have the opportunity to spend their private holiday whereever they want.

Thats really nice that they can spend their summer there.
Do they drive there? Isn't it about 3 hours drive?

Yes I have never heard anything else than they have driven there by car and it takes about 3 hours from Copenhagen.

Last edited:
I guess the Royal Lifeguard will post sentries at Gråsten when M&F are in residence.
So this year it may be M&F and their children who will stand on the stairs at the changing of the guards on is is Wednesdays?
Or perhaps that's a privilege only for the Monarch?

I guess the Royal Lifeguard will post sentries at Gråsten when M&F are in residence.
So this year it may be M&F and their children who will stand on the stairs at the changing of the guards on is is Wednesdays?
Or perhaps that's a privilege only for the Monarch?

It would be logical, that it's only for the Monarch who has the residence
changed to Gråsten (or Marselisborg). M&F are on a private holiday.

Picturedesk has 54 great photos of CP Frederik, CPss Mary, Prince Christian, Princess Isabella's godmother Malou Skeel and her husband and son at the Vesterhavet beach - North Jutland on 9 July 2007 .

Search words : prince christian blokhus:wub:

http://www.picturedesk.com/bild-disp/apa/de/home.html

Hope the link works.:)

I didn't find anything about their holiday in Croatia from 2007 in this thread, but it seems after this North-Jutland trip they travelled to Croatia to make a boat-tour around the islands:
Danish Royal Watchers: July 2007

The Crown Prince family are just now holding their private summer vacation.

Here a look back at a sweet summer picture from last year in Legoland.
Josephine and Vincent with mom in one of the children rollercoaster.
Christian and Bella tried the more wild rollercoaster with daddy.

I can't resist sweet Josephine's sunshine smile to mother :wub:

http://herognu.dk/Upload/Galleries/9650/2014.jpg

F&M and children are now in South Jutland holding their summer holiday.

BB out tommorow have these sweet pictures of them out on a bicycle trip in the nature with the word: "There is so lovely here."

(Very likely taken that day (last Monday) where Frederik was in London)
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...ia/article/bb28_2015_-_stor.jpg?itok=VNvc5QHf

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice seeming them on their bikes. Frederik probably got home yesterday from Wimbledon.

Looking forward to their trip to Legoland, they always seem to have a blast

Billed Bladet met Mary on a bike trip with Christian, Bella, Vincent, Josephine and Ziggy near Gråsten while daddy that day was at visit in Wimbledon.

Lovely picture: https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...01_2721410022346748884_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Billedbladet have a very good and respectful relationship with the royals and always ask if it are okay they take a few pictures. It does that Billedbladet always gets something back the other way around and the royals like to say a some words and give the time so they can take a few pictures. A win win situation.

Mary says to BB:

"It is so wonderful here ! And we will be here our entire holiday, and it is the first time we have to be here so long."

Frederik and Mary has chosen to hold their summer holidays for most of July at Gråsten Castle and media suggests that there may be a generational change on the way.

Queen Margrethe has previously stated that it is F&M and children who some day are planer to take over Gråsten Castle. And that it is to happen in her lifetime.

B.T article: http://www.bt.dk/royale/gaar-ingrid-og-frederik-i-bedene-her-skal-frederik-og-mary-nyde-sommeren

Last edited:
what a lovely quick picture of the family.
always a joy to see Ziggy with them too.

Im sure they will enjoy their time in Gråsten

Its also now on the calendar the July 19th event
Crown Prince Couple receives Gråsten Ring Rider Association parade, Gråsten Castle 11:30

Read on tumblr that the Crown Prince family were seen at Dybbøl Banke Historic Center today.
Kronprinsen Frederik

I saw on instragm someone mentioned them their too. Its nice that they are enjoying some parts of their summer in Denmark.

I dont know anything about it but maybe our Danish members can share.

added:
the historic place wrote a note on their facebook
https://www.facebook.com/historiecenterdybboelbanke

Last edited:
:previous:

Aww sweet little Josephine :heart:
That's something many children will try througout their childhood.

But a quick recovery to her. The DRF's communication and press chief Lene Balleby says:

- Princess Josephine broke her arm in a riding accident in Gråsten last Sunday. She now has her arm in plaster and is doing very well, says Lene Balleby in a brief comment.

So we will see little Josephine with her arm in plaster at the annual family photo session in two weeks.

And yes, looks like mom, dad and Christian and Bella have draw hearts and words on her sling :)

Last edited:
Aww, poor Josephine. I hope she will have a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

what kind of riding, horseback?

i think so. the article mentions Gråsten Ridecenter, which google shows as horseback riding
but this is just based on google, maybe our Danish members can give us more info.

I think the twins might have started lessons.
Im sure Christian and Isabella have already:flowers:

Oh, poor Josephine - broken bones hurt, but children heal quickly. Hope she isn't in too much pain. :flowers: Didn't Cousin Felix break his arm recently, too?

In scrolling down the HerogNu page, there's something about TV2 dropping the film about Frederik. Does that mean it will not be made at all, or just without the cooperation of the tv station?

Aw, poor little thing :hug: Looks like she's taking it in stride – like a woman – which is great. What with all the family gathering at Gråsten later this month, I won't be surprised if her cast is overdrawn with messages and little drawings at the photo opportunity :D – perhaps she can even talk QMII into drawing a little something on it.

I'm surprised that she was transferred from Aabenraa Hospital to Odense University Hospital for a mere broken arm though – makes me think it might be a nasty fracture.

Oh, well. These things happen. :)
It won't be the last time M&F will go to the ER with a child.

While Josephine's fracture could be somewhat complicated I think it also very much has to do with Aabenraa Hospital not having the best reputation and really not being equipped to deal with much more than uncomplicated cases, while Odense Hospital has the most advanced ER in Denmark, so I think someone at some point decided to be on the safe side and sending her on to Odense.
It might even be a general standing order for anything that requires more than very rudimentary treatment for members of the DRF.

I hope if it is a horse riding mishap it does not scare get away from horses and they encourage her to get back on later.

Poor dear little Josephine, hope her recovery goes well and she deals with it well.

I hope if it is a horse riding mishap it does not scare get away from horses and they encourage her to get back on later.

Same here, but I'm sure once the arm is given the time needed to heal and Mary and Frederick feel she's ready, they'll start slowly easing Josephine back into the Stables/Riding Centre.

Poor little Poppet...I hope it was a straight forward fracture and it heals w/no problems. What rotten timing for this to happen though. Right at the start of Summer Vacation. While Josephine will be able to do some of the things they usually do, anything on or in the water is out because of the cast.

Love they signed her sling. Slings can be kept. Casts, not so much due to the smell and I speak from experience there.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom