Frederik, Mary and Children on Magazine Covers

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suspect the article and magazine cover is timed for the upcoming visit to Oz by Frederik and Mary more than the selling power of Kate or Harry.

Well, Harry posed for UK GQ Magazine 2011 in promoting Walking with the Wounded but I would like to see Catherine pose for a good magazine in promoting one of her causes. I think the royals have a purpose in posing for these magazines.

The magazine has the cause - to make as much money as possible. The royals are there to be used by the magazines, not the other way round.

:previous:

I especially noticed these lines..

- Every now and again Crown Princess Mary would bend down to pick up a toy or a plastic bracelet left by one of her children. A Palace yes, but a family home as well. -

- We started early and as we arrived with our van of lights and equipment, Crown Princess Mary drove out waving as she took her kids to school. -

- Late in the day Princess Isabella came back from school, ran upstairs to get changed for her dance class and then snuck into our shots also, hugging her mum. -

"I never for a moment thought I'd end up living in Denmark and married to the Crown Prince but he obviously was my missing piece,"

http://www.bt.dk/royale/mary-er-begyndt-at-droemme-paa-dansk

An article in B.T. tells us that the interview is made in connection with the couple's upcoming visit to Australia and that Frederik and Mary together also has given an interview to an Australian newspaper - guess we'll hear about that interview later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont want to spoil the party but this is not for me. Mary posing like a celebrity, we've been here before. I find the way of posing on the cover not appropriate for a CP. I understand that Denmark is very much about royalty = fairy tale, tiaras, gowns etc, nothing wrong with that, Mary is thriving on this image.

What I find strange is that such inside is given to an Australian magazine and not to a Danish outlet. I guess the Danes would like to see something like this first hand, their tax payed for the refurbishment of the palace.

I know the DRF get away with a lot but is there no critizism about the fact that Mary grants access to a foreign magazine in a way that the Danish mags are certainly dreaming about and have been lining up for a long time?

:previous: Well, I think I can answer at least a part of your question Duke of M.

It it hardly a coincidence that Mary is featured prominently in an Australian magazine, complete with a long interview this October. As she and Frederik are going to Australia to promote Danish commerce. - A question of positive association.

Mary and the DRF press office know perfectly well that Mary sell. And the saga of her life sell in Australia at least. - Whether the Australians in general are fascinated, intriqued or merely curious that I'll leave to our resident Australians to say.

Apart from that M&F's tenth anniversary is coming up, so I don't think I'll win the Prophesy-Prize-Of-The-Year when I predict there will be a book or two, a couple of TV-portraits and no doubt a few interviews as well next year. So the Danish press will get their share as well.
What I have noticed in recent years is that M&F (in contrast to J&M) rarely give interviews about their private lives, or rather they focus on getting a message across and what we get apart from that in regards to their private lives are spoils.

On the occasion of this being ten years since M&F got engaged, Billed Bladet this week has devoted a 52 page booklet to Mary.
Very well illustrated and based on articles and interviews in BB.

There isn't much new, for us at least, but for fans of Mary this is an affordable option.

Here are some photos from the booklet: (You know the drill. Always open in full window first, then use the slider to zoom in and out).
Mary in 2003: https://app.box.com/s/vcb64saj8diwq1v6o9gt

And in 2013: https://app.box.com/s/2bmvqs30fq146n2syrck

And one picture from the engagement dinner, where Mary looked like a deer caught in the headlights:https://app.box.com/s/a818mbkl79es8zkja43n

The subjects focus on Mary all round.
The engagement.
Wedding.
First trip to Greenland.
Her children.
On the job.
Hats.
Trips abroad. - In connection with the job. 29 countries so far.
The parents-in-law.
Being outdoors.
To Australia.
Gala dresses.
Being Frederik's rock.
Interacting with children.
Portraits (photos) of Mary through the years.
And ending with Frederik giving Mary a genuine kiss, not a peck, a kiss!

Last edited:
On the occasion of this being ten years since M&F got engaged, Nilled Bladet this week has devoted a 52 page booklet to Mary.
And the guy she got engaged with? Is he featured at all...;)

And the guy she got engaged with? Is he featured at all...;)

it is after all a celebration of that it is 10 years since mary came into our danes lifes, frederik has been here since he was born, so it is naturally mary they focus on, her now 10 years in our country :)

What I find strange is that such inside is given to an Australian magazine and not to a Danish outlet. I guess the Danes would like to see something like this first hand, their tax payed for the refurbishment of the palace.

I know the DRF get away with a lot but is there no critizism about the fact that Mary grants access to a foreign magazine in a way that the Danish mags are certainly dreaming about and have been lining up for a long time?

Ehh, Mary (and Frederik) has several times given large interviews to Danish media?

In 2008 they opened up their home to the Danish media Berlingske Tidende. In fact, they even invited the reporter and photographer into their own private living room and garden and the reporter could afterwards in the interview describe how their home looked. It was a very private interview and we got some great photos taken by Berlingske own photographer Linda Henriksen.
Danish Royal Watchers: New interview with Frederik & Mary

In 2009, the Danish women's magazine 'Alt For Damerne' (a magazine similar to The Australian Women's Weekly, I think) get a long interview with Mary on the occasion that she won their 'Woman of the year' prize. It was also a long interview about life, husband, children and her work and pictures were taken by the magazine's own photographer.
Mary: Dejligt at Frederik kan udtrykke sine følelser - Starlounge

And not to forget, last year's large interview in the Danish media B.T. on the occasion of Mary's 40th birthday. This interview was about 7 pages long and about family, friends, husband, children, work and her role of a Crown Princess. The media also got pictures taken by their own photographer + Mary opened up for her and Frederik's very own private photo album (if think Mary's own private pictures is posted somewhere here on TRF)
Kronprinsesse af Danmark - Infoshop | www.b.dk

These ones was just what I remembered, there may have been more I just can't remember.

And as Muhler said, I could almost guarantee there'll be plenty of stuffs for their 10th wedding anniversary in some months.

So as a Dane I can definitely enjoy that Australia will have an interview and pictures on the occasion of the couple upcoming visit in Australia :flowers:

Last edited:
Let's see... this would mark my first post on TRF! A first for everything, I guess!

For those who don't receive the magazine here are a few highlights and a few more photo's here, here and here:

On Princess Isabella starting school: "She was really ready to start in school. She was very excited and very happy, and were as well and also proud, but then a little bit nostalgic. You know, our first little girl starting school today, that was very emotional."

On her/their relationship with Queen Margrethe: "I think it's just her nature that you should be able to work it out yourself. She trusts us to do what is right. She is amazing. She has been such an important support for me, so open and warm, and she has a very fine way of showing her support. She'd never want to intervene, but I ask her opinion. Its done in a very subtle way."

On the children: "We try to give our children as normal an upbringing as we can, but also at the same time, making them aware of who they are and what they've been born into, the traditions and history. Its very important that we're open and honest about the situation and involve them. But we hope that they will grow up to be extremely proud of who they are and have that strong belief in themselves...like every other parent."

On her mother, Henrietta Donaldson: "I'm sure she would be very happy to see me where I am, not only happy in my family life and as a mother, but also to see that I've used my new situation and the resources and skills I have to form a platform to make a difference where I can. . . And I think she's probably smiling. She definatly taught me to be independant and to trust in myself, and believe in myself. She made me think that whatever you set your mind to do, if you go after it, you can achieve it."

On learning a new language: "The barrier of language, at times, was hard and, yes, I felt lonely. I couldn't express myself as I wanted to. I couldn't jump in and come back with a quick remark. I could really understand what was being said. . . It took time. I think in Danish and ja, I dream in Danish."

More to come ...

Thanks, Muhler! Great to see you again! It's been a while (years??)

Let's see... this would mark my first post on TRF! A first for everything, I guess!

For those who don't receive the magazine here are a few highlights and a few more photo's here, here and here:

On Princess Isabella starting school: "She was really ready to start in school. She was very excited and very happy, and were as well and also proud, but then a little bit nostalgic. You know, our first little girl starting school today, that was very emotional."

On her/their relationship with Queen Margrethe: "I think it's just her nature that you should be able to work it out yourself. She trusts us to do what is right. She is amazing. She has been such an important support for me, so open and warm, and she has a very fine way of showing her support. She'd never want to intervene, but I ask her opinion. Its done in a very subtle way."

On the children: "We try to give our children as normal an upbringing as we can, but also at the same time, making them aware of who they are and what they've been born into, the traditions and history. Its very important that we're open and honest about the situation and involve them. But we hope that they will grow up to be extremely proud of who they are and have that strong belief in themselves...like every other parent."

On her mother, Henrietta Donaldson: "I'm sure she would be very happy to see me where I am, not only happy in my family life and as a mother, but also to see that I've used my new situation and the resources and skills I have to form a platform to make a difference where I can. . . And I think she's probably smiling. She definatly taught me to be independant and to trust in myself, and believe in myself. She made me think that whatever you set your mind to do, if you go after it, you can achieve it."

On learning a new language: "The barrier of language, at times, was hard and, yes, I felt lonely. I couldn't express myself as I wanted to. I couldn't jump in and come back with a quick remark. I could really understand what was being said. . . It took time. I think in Danish and ja, I dream in Danish."

More to come ...

thank you Cpclare:flowers::flowers:
I love the picture of Mary with Isabella. So sweet.

And thank you Muhler and Roskilde for your insights on the danish media.
For me Frederik and Mary dont give that many interviews like others, but they dont ignore the danish media.
I find it nice the connection with Australia that has been formed.
I dont think Mary just caters to Australian media, as pointed out in the article
"Crown Princess Mary hasn't done an interview and photo shoot with an Australian media outlet since The Australian Women's Weekly last interviewed her in 2005. Before that, Vogue Australia and Andrew Denton's Enough Rope were her only Australian media. So we are thrilled to bring you this global exclusive to celebrate our 80th birthday."

And I cant wait for all the stuff that will come out for the 10th wedding anniversary. If i remember correctly the Norwegian CP couple gave some interviews and pictures for their 10th wedding anniversary.:flowers:

A great find, Polyesco :flowers:

I presume this is the entire interview?

A cosy little portrait, I'd say.
Apart from their status and home, I'd say their daily life is pretty much like a any other normal Danish family with the educational background they both have.

I notice that Bella is getting proficient in English, which is hardly surprising.

thank you so much polyesco!!

i very much enjoyed this relaxed interview made during a lunch together on the couples terrace. they seems to have that family life they both have wished for. with the family and their home being the most central part and it is so nice they do things like this:

“In Danish schools, parents are very involved. On Friday, I’ll be sleeping out in a hut somewhere, camping with all of Christian’s school class.”

Last edited:
I'm really excited to see the article. I always like to read interviews, etc. that Mary does in English since I don't speak Danish.
I can't believe it's been almost ten years since Mary and Frederik got married... makes me feel old!

You need a big thank you for finding this, Polyesco :cheers:

It's a cozy and frankly interview. The first time in Denmark away from family and friends and with a new language was undoubtedly a tough time for Mary, as she says - she felt like a fish out of Water in the beginning. But now she both think and even dreams in Danish. What 10 eventful years..

Parts of the interview which I specifically did notice:

- Here Crown Princess Mary has created her own oasis of family life, where their four children run around freely – Prince Christian playing a game of spies with a school friend on one of the days I visit

- Ziggy, the Border collie, who Mary jokes, was their first child when she joined the couple nine years ago, even leaves her chewed-up toys under gilt-edged tables

- As we sit down for lunch together on the couple’s terrace overlooking the new opera house, Mary tells me, “The children and teacher were talking about who in Christian’s class knew anyone who was famous and the only person they could think of was one of the boy’s fathers, who plays in a band. :D It’s such a normal part of who Christian is that the children don’t see it as something that separates him”

- Mary: "In Danish schools, parents are very involved. On Friday, I’ll be sleeping out in a hut somewhere, camping with all of Christian’s school class.”

- About her mother: "I’m sure she would be very happy to see me where I am, not only happy in my family life and as a mother, but able to see that I’ve used my new situation and the resources and skills I have to form a platform to make a different where I can… and I think she’s probably smiling,”

- "Moving to a new country, a new language, not having support of family and friends… I mean, of course, I’ve always had the support of my husband—boyfriend then—but there have been times when I’ve felt a little bit like fish out of Water"

- And just as in many Danish families: "A good weekend is when we don’t have any plans. We love a Saturday morning when you don’t have to rush, when we can play, read the papers and stay in our pyjamas until late"

- “I think it’s an exciting chapter I’m embarking on, I’m in a very happy place. My wonderful family life and what Frederik and I have together are all that I cherish the most.”

Beautiful pictures indeed.

On this autumn evening when darkness has fallen and with the female side of the family absorbed with "so you think you can dance" (they can't!) on TV, let's go for a little stroll down memory lane with Mary.
From the anniversary booklet.

I have over the years learned that hats is a well discussed topic:
https://app.box.com/s/dedxhlhzqb4x199lrvar
https://app.box.com/s/qc41txen6tsfb9rzoq07

A very nice pic of Mary and Josephine onboard Dannebrog: https://app.box.com/s/c40byaui681m4f2p4ght

Mary and svigerfar (father-in-law): https://app.box.com/s/izzabpeilt027oyorl33

The faces of Mary (and hairstyles) over the past ten years:
https://app.box.com/s/r6zq70etnz5rnejiqyfv
https://app.box.com/s/5reqa46n4urzib1xszpt

And finally why Mary is considered Frederik's rock, lest anyone should be in doubt. A stitched photo, so it's large! https://app.box.com/s/7ehta1ue9z651l7ixqpl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom