Frederik and Mary's Work Schedule

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is a royal forum covering the entire world. What is next: you and I as Canadian citizens should stick to Queen Elizabeth II and not talk/write too much about it because she's also queen of England and lives there and not here? NO, Danes might be interested to known that people outside their country find their Crown Prince kinda cute, kinda fun-loving but kinda light on the work side and that we wonder what moves him, what are his goals and values as they most probably would reflect on the ones of his people.

I agree. I understand the statement that the Danes are paying for their royal family and that they should decide. So far no objection. What I don't understand is that the Danish people also pay for their royals to represent them outside of Denmark. So they are paying them their expensive trips, their gala outfits and whatsoever and expect them to be a trademark for Denmark. So listening to others might actually be helpful...

I agree. I understand the statement that the Danes are paying for their royal family and that they should decide. So far no objection. What I don't understand is that the Danish people also pay for their royals to represent them outside of Denmark. So they are paying them their expensive trips, their gala outfits and whatsoever and expect them to be a trademark for Denmark. So listening to others might actually be helpful...

Perhaps but no one seems to be criticizing the work he does as part of Trademark Denmark when on official visits abroad, either accompanying his parents or as part of economic visits. The criticism seems to be about the work he does domestically, and really only the Danes would really know what organizations are acceptable for the heir to their Danish throne to be involved with and judge the number of engagements he should be undertaking each year. Denmark is a very small country, with 6 working royals to cover the nation, so it seems unrealistic to expect they would undertake an especially heavy number of engagements each year, like a senior member of the BRF for example.

But it's quite appropriate to expect that they will work as hard as royals in Belgium, Netherlands, Spain or Norway.

But it's quite appropriate to expect that they will work as hard as royals in Belgium, Netherlands, Spain or Norway.

And how many engagements do those heirs undertake each year, especially in Norway since it has a comparable population?

Compared to Frederik much more, I never counted it. But important is not only the quantity but also quality. More official visits, meetings with heads of states, supporting the business cases. There is more things in the world than sport.

Perhaps but no one seems to be criticizing the work he does as part of Trademark Denmark when on official visits abroad, either accompanying his parents or as part of economic visits. The criticism seems to be about the work he does domestically, and really only the Danes would really know what organizations are acceptable for the heir to their Danish throne to be involved with and judge the number of engagements he should be undertaking each year. Denmark is a very small country, with 6 working royals to cover the nation, so it seems unrealistic to expect they would undertake an especially heavy number of engagements each year, like a senior member of the BRF for example.

I very much understand your point and I agree to it. But even working domestically they are still being observed from people living out of Denmark - so in a way they are still trademarking their country. Maybe there are some people who think "what do I care what others think of me?" but please remember: we live in a globalized world with lots of inter-connections and inter-relations between countries corporating with each other. So it is important in these times to give a good impression when you want to do business with others. My apologies, maybe I am too business-orientated here, but I think that this is also one of the duties of the Royal Family - to help business and the industry flourishing in the country.

Maybe I haven't been able to express myself properly (please mind my weak English) - for me it is not the load of their work but more the choice of work that seems to harm their reputation, and especially of that of the Crown Prince. I personally like this family - a "Bilderbuchfamilie" as we would say in German which might equal to "a perfect picture made family" but there is something that especially Frederik lacks and this is his working attitude.

Compared to Frederik much more, I never counted it. But important is not only the quantity but also quality. More official visits, meetings with heads of states, supporting the business cases. There is more things in the world than sport.

If there hasn't been a count how can you say with such certainty that Haakon for example does so much more?

I very much understand your point and I agree to it. But even working domestically they are still being observed from people living out of Denmark - so in a way they are still trademarking their country. Maybe there are some people who think "what do I care what others think of me?" but please remember: we live in a globalized world with lots of inter-connections and inter-relations between countries corporating with each other. So it is important in these times to give a good impression when you want to do business with others. My apologies, maybe I am too business-orientated here, but I think that this is also one of the duties of the Royal Family - to help business and the industry flourishing in the country.

Maybe I haven't been able to express myself properly (please mind my weak English) - for me it is not the load of their work but more the choice of work that seems to harm their reputation, and especially of that of the Crown Prince. I personally like this family - a "Bilderbuchfamilie" as we would say in German which might equal to "a perfect picture made family" but there is something that especially Frederik lacks and this is his working attitude.

I understand the points you are making and to an extent agree with you, but what organizations in Denmark should he be involved with that do not already have a royal patron and also that the government would allow the heir to be actively involved with while keeping him away from politics?

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the points you are making and to an extent agree with you, but what organizations in Denmark should he be involved with that do not already have a royal patron and also that the government would allow the heir to be actively involved with while keeping him away from politics?

Maybe this is the burden Royals especially in democracies have to carry for all their lives: that they should represent but not get too involved and not too influential. That they should be powerful even though they do not really have power or are strong decision makers. Danger is that the one or other royal feels trapped with no way out of the situation - maybe this is the case with Frederik. He maybe has given himself up. I do not know. It is a thin line for Royals and they have to be careful not to get bored of their own responsibilities.

Truth is that in a modern democarcy with capitalistic values there is no space for a family paid by the people for the only reason to "exist". In these terms I think why do modern countries so much stick to their royals? What are the benefit of them for liberal republic countries for example? Maybe one profound reason is to keep the magic/the myth of history alive? Yes. But also making money out of this and out of their royal family. Keeping the attractiveness for investors. This myth has to pay off domestically and beyond the borders as well. To put it in somehow drastic words: investors want to be photographed with strong people and for this they are willing to pay. But they are less interested to be pictured with people known for being lazy or reluctant to work. The one or other still want a picture with such a person but he for sure will not take him serious.

Last edited:
And probably ones with a lot more substance.

179 engagements vs Muhler's 140 working days for Frederik (Not sure how many engagements that could translate into) doesn't seem that big a difference.
A few weeks ago I made a quick count, and got about 170 engagements
for Frederik for 2011 and about the same in 2010. It's not an exact number,
because the Court didn't release an official program for all the foreign visits.

I think each country has to decide what is ok for their royals' conduct.

If Danes find that their CP doesnt do enough they will eventually let him know, the latest consequence being that the monarchy isnt needed anymore. But if they dont, where is the problem?

Most royals work in order to stay on the throne, like the Spanish, but the history is very different. What the Danes get away with, wouldnt work in Spain, but then again they only have a King since 1975 (before monarchy didnt work out for the better).

Regarding Frederik, I guess the Danes know and accept his shortcomings but as King he will have to try harder.

Mary actually has a huge workload compared to other CPs, she does a lot of solo acts and I think she works more than some of her peers (MM comes to my mind).

I doubt this will endanger the monarchy. It's more an annoyance and a point where Frederik in particular is vulnerable.

It's also very much about ignorance. We simply do not know how much work goes on behind the scenes.
With QMII we know she's at the office every day, because we've seen it in documentaries and she is also the Monarch, so it is simply taken for granted that she is working a lot behind the scenes, apart from her public duties.

Mary is all over the place at public events, so very few, if any, accuse her of being laid back. Apart from that she has launched initiatives like the Mary Foundation.

Joachim has his estate to run and we learned recently that he is usually at the office from after breakfast to 17.00. And he is also seen often at public event. Albeit more low key, because he isn't wearing dresses.

Frederik, he's the Crown Prince, number two. Where is he?
Attending a sports match, thus promoting sports in general and encouraging Danish teams in particular. All very well, buut how much preparation is needed for that?
And then classifying boat racing as work? It takes a bit of effort to defend that one.

It is simply not known to the general public that Frederik apparantly now takes part in all state functions with QMII, like audiences, State Councils, briefings. And also that he is now working close with QMII about the daily running and planning of the court.

This is very much a PR issue.
In my opinon Frederik needs to beef up his public image by taking on more public duties. He is the Crown Prince and he needs to be seen by the public. - QMII has reached retirement age, Mary is settled in in her job, and the children are there. So it's time to increase his public profle.
He ought to learn from his wife and launch a more heavy public initiative, like the environment or public health. - Which is pretty safe from a political point of view.
And he needs to let people in on what he is actually doing when not out in the public. (What goes on behind the scenes is always interesting).
If not, he risk being labbled as lazy, which I don't thnink he is, or worse: being uninterested.

The major weakness in the DRF, Frederik in particular, is PR, even though it has improved i recent years. I would so much wish they would get an advisor who has the guts to say: "This sucks! Work on it or change it".

It's also very much about ignorance. We simply do not know how much work goes on behind the scenes.

It is simply not known to the general public that Frederik apparantly now takes part in all state functions with QMII, like audiences, State Councils, briefings. And also that he is now working close with QMII about the daily running and planning of the court.

This is very much a PR issue.
In my opinon Frederik needs to beef up his public image by taking on more public duties. He is the Crown Prince and he needs to be seen by the public. - QMII has reached retirement age, Mary is settled in in her job, and the children are there. So it's time to increase his public profle.
He ought to learn from his wife and launch a more heavy public initiative, like the environment or public health. - Which is pretty safe from a political point of view.
And he needs to let people in on what he is actually doing when not out in the public. (What goes on behind the scenes is always interesting).
If not, he risk being labbled as lazy, which I don't thnink he is, or worse: being uninterested.

The major weakness in the DRF, Frederik in particular, is PR, even though it has improved i recent years. I would so much wish they would get an advisor who has the guts to say: "This sucks! Work on it or change it".

I agree with the PR issue. Lene Balleby has improved things, but I really wish they would understad that more is needed.

In the documentary a couple of years ago, we could see F&M and the Regent couple attending a briefing about something connected to the military at Amalienborg. Why can't events like that be added to the calendar? And the audiences and State Councils, they are never added to his personal calendar.

The past couple of years Frederik has attended lots of climate related events. Most foreign visits have events that are connected to the climate/clean tech/sustainability etc. Saying he only attends sports events is a bit unfair, IMO.

Last edited:
But have any of you stopped to consider that perhaps Frederik's 'laziness' or 'focus on sports/recreation' has in fact been fully endorsed by QMII? Maybe as one who also was thrust into the role, Margrethe's advice to her son was, have fun while you can, enjoy your family, your wife and children while you can, because one day when I die, your life is never going to be the same again and your focus will be on your country and duties and all else will take a backseat...Maybe Margrethe knows her son better than any of us (yes, imagine that ;) ) and she knows what makes him happy, stressed, uncomfortable, she knows how he operates and his approach to certain issues and tasks...I think we can all be critical of Frederik and his workload, but if internal personnel do not have an issue with it, than neither should we...It will all work out in the end...Margrethe will die, Frederik will accede, and Mary will do all the work behind the scenes ;)

Annanotherthing and Muhler both have very valid points. I think it is grossly to unfair to say that Fred is lazy, especially when we do not know what goes on behind the scenes. Fred could very well be up to his armpits in paper work, and other - on the quiet - stuff like for the Anders Lasson awards. Just because we don't see him out and about much does not mean he isn't doing anything.
As for only doing 140 engagements, how do we know he wasn't doing much more behind the scenes. Simple answer - We do not know. I find it a huge waste of time even discussing a subject no one knows anything about.
There I have vented!! Because I needed to. One rant a day is plenty.

I think it is grossly to unfair to say that Fred is lazy, especially when we do not know what goes on behind the scenes. Fred could very well be up to his armpits in paper work, and other - on the quiet - stuff like for the Anders Lasson awards. Just because we don't see him out and about much does not mean he isn't doing anything.
As for only doing 140 engagements, how do we know he wasn't doing much more behind the scenes. Simple answer - We do not know. I find it a huge waste of time even discussing a subject no one knows anything about.
Exactly. I don't understand how some people automatically label him as lazy, when we don't know the whole picture. I refuse to believe, that a man who knows he could be King any day, would just waist his life without doing anything. Until someone shows that he doesn't do anything when not in public, I really think it's very unfair to judge him.

"Innocent until..."

I am a little curious and I know that most of you are probably better informed than I am, but I was looking at the calendar for Crown Prince Fred and Mary and they haven't worked much in the last three months. Mary is understandable, but what's up with Fred? I don't understand Danish so please pardon my ignorance if I am mistaken.
  • March - 15 days had events (31 day month)
  • April - 8 days had events (30 day month)
  • May - 5 days had events (31 day month)
  • June - 8 days have events (30 day month)
  • July - 7 days have events (some are related to Queen Sonja's Birthday), from what I read in a separate post, Fred will only be attending one event. (31 day month)
Apart from scheduled events, sailing, and sailing, what else does he do? Please help me understand. As I said, I don't understand Danish, so I counted the pins on the calendar.

Thanks.

The visible work schedule is always here:

Kongehuset - Forside

and oh my,they do have an english section.....

The unvisible load is probably still way more then most here do in a day to day week,giving the breaks folks take...and....given they haven't got a clue on what's what and how things work at Court...

Last edited by a moderator:
In the good old days it was «location, location, location». Now it's «perception, perception, perception». Even Frederick should know that.

In the good old days it was «location, location, location». Now it's «perception, perception, perception». Even Frederick should know that.

No,not quite.Now it's the craze of the day on boards and forums where each with a pc can throw in their moneys worth....even tho they haven't got a penny to spend...i.e.,know close to nothing...Monarchies nor their members go by the craze of the day,that's for the fluffy and superficial and their deception deception deception......:)

The issue of CP Frederick's reluctance to work has been around since long before anyone had PC's. If it is only a matter of perception then it would be very easy to rectify. The day he will take over the throne from the very beloved Queen we will know for sure what the Danish man and woman on the street really think of him as the next regent. For most Danes the only regent they have known is a woman with a very admirable work ethic and that is what he will be compared to.

I am sure Frederik's work ethic will come under massive scrutiny once he has the top job. It will be the same in all other monarchies, and the media respect the longstanding monarchs could enjoy because of their achievements over the years will be little.

If people, supported by the media, start thinking that he is useless and not doing anything to bring Denmark forward, he will have to justify his existance very soon.

I think for now he is popular the way he is, people know and respect his reluctance/awkwardness/preference for "light" events, plus he is a father of four young children, but the day will come that this status quo wont be enough anymore. Much will depend on Frederik's conduct when the time has come, all eyes will be on him, and he will have to sink or swim.

Times have become rough, who knows if Denmark remains the kind of sleepy little country where people are quite well off, look around what happens in other countries, and sometimes dynamics take off much faster than anyone could ever expect.

I think for now he is popular the way he is, people know and respect his reluctance/awkwardness/preference for "light" events, plus he is a father of four young children, but the day will come that this status quo wont be enough anymore.

What are "light" events?

Much has been commented on Frederik attending mostly sports events. Last year Frederik attended about 6 sports/public health related events in DK. I don't think that sounds like much, or? The same goes for the "he spends most of his time sailing" : Last year he attended two races, for about 6 days total. It looks like Joachim spends more time racing.

Compared to the sporting events, he spent about 30 days heading official/business promotion visits abroad+ the State Visit.

Last edited:
I could have said "folksy events" instead of light. I didnt say that those are all he does, but he seems to have a preference. It might be ok for a CP but not for a monarch.

What I find disappointing that Frederik didnt make more of his Olympic Committee role, there was so much controversy to get him into the organisation but he doesnt seem to make an effort here, at least not visibly. WA or Albert of Monaco are much more present. This role would be one with more gravity than the folksy or light events we see Frederik attend.

Joachim doesnt count since he isnt the heir. Like CP of Sweden, he can car race as much as he wants to, people dont really mind.

I could have said "folksy events" instead of light.

What I find disappointing that Frederik didnt make more of his Olympic Committee role, there was so much controversy to get him into the organisation but he doesnt seem to make an effort here, at least not visibly. WA or Albert of Monaco are much more present. This role would be one with more gravity than the folksy or light events we see Frederik attend.
Ok, thanks.

Do you mean more present in Denmark, or what?
Last year Frederik became a member of the Coordination Commission for the 2018 Winter Olympics and he is a member of the "Sports for all" commission. He attended the "SportAccord" convention, the IOC session and the "Sport for all" congress. A couple of weeks ago he visited the Youth winter olympics (not on the calendar).

I can't say anything about what WA or Albert do, but they have been members much longer. (I think).

Last edited:
:flowers: With "present" I meant basically visibly engaging into this role (or any other), be it in Denmark or outside representing the Danish cause.

:flowers: With "present" I meant basically visibly engaging into this role (or any other), be it in Denmark or outside representing the Danish cause.

And that's what Frederik has been doing, isn't it: :flowers:
Several visits promoting Danish business, a State Visit, IOC duties, a visit to
Africa with the Danish Red Cross, a visit to the Japanese disaster regions, regent duties, the "folksy" events etc.

It is strange to me that people indicate to give Prince Frederik some credit as he is still the Crown Prince and not yet the King. Isn't it the case that because he still is Crown Prince he needs to prove himself that he will be a worthy King one day? No one doubts that Victoria or Hakoon will be great monarchs one day. Why? I would say because they are great number twos at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom