Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, the 'cosy' pictures are as staged as these ones (minus the elaborate use of airbrush) BUT my point was that they are useful in projecting a certain image of a princely family. These kind of pictures however are not useful at all, but instead show the bankrupcy of royalty. If the royals are nothing more than the Beckham family, why should we have them around at all?

I agree that for many these pictures will be nice to see, but I am just against the principle of these kind of shoots, which seems to me nothing more than dressing up to cover the emptiness.

---
I think it is nice that they actually showed where the taxpayers money went & released many images of the palace, made a documentairy and opened it to the public. Considering it is public money you would expect more royals to do the same, but that is not the case (the only photo shoot we ever saw of Villa Eikenhorst was one made by a construction worker in secret).

All I see here are people dressing up in a costume, pretending to be royal.

Rather difficult to do considering the are royal and have nothing to prove on the matter.

BUT my point was that they are useful in projecting a certain image of a princely family

So I take it you have not seen the photo's throughout the past 5 years of a young family celebrating birthday's and the like which clearly demonstrates the 'certain image of a princely family' you believe should be displayed...

I do believe you're making a mound out of a mole hill, Marengo. This editorial piece was evidently never intended to be judged as a guide for homely modesty, though naturally there will be those who feel compelled to suggest that it should have been.

Last edited:
Didn't Frederik and Mary mention that they lack furniture for the palace a while ago? Maybe they're dropping a big hint!

All I see here are people dressing up in a costume, pretending to be royal.

snip

What is the use of appearing in a [German] fashion magazine with such glossy and heavily airbrushed photos, other than satisfying your own vanity?

Maybe they simply like it? Okay, if they like it, you may call this delight in such a shoot "vain" but for me they are simply having fun and they allow me to have fun on sharing the pics with me via publication.

I don't understand why some people say royals are not celebrities. Of course they are. The definition of celebrity is "a widely known person".
I think royals would fit in that category.

Royals use their position and celebrity to support causes and charities. There's no point putting your name to something if you are not known!

Didn't Frederik and Mary mention that they lack furniture for the palace a while ago? Maybe they're dropping a big hint!

That they'll furnish as they go. I think quite naturally they will have what we would consider a good deal of furniture, but it is afterall a palatial residence so I don't doubt that they will be lacking inititally.

It's for FUN! :bang:

Let's not forget that OTHER royals have done this before ... I don't remember the date but I think it was in Vanity Fair when a number of royals posed for the camera: Prince William, Crown Princess Victoria, Crown Prince WA, Crown Princess Maxima, Crown Prince Felipe, Crown Prince Frederik etc. all did it with gowns, jewels, uniform etc posed beyond anything so why can't the CP family do the same thing for this magazine?

I still cannot really decide what to think about the photoshoot.
First of all I have to admit that I am a huge fan of Vogue photoshoots. Personally I find most of them very artistic. The settings are usually great.
The same goes for this photoshoot. I like the idea of the family between the boxes. Looks fun. Fashionable. Very Vogue-style. All of the pictures are very well done.
So, I think the pictures themselves are great.
I just don't know if I really like when Royals are posing for photoshoots like that. But I have to disagree that they look like celebrities in that pictures.
Hachhh... I just don't know why I cannot really take to the pictures. I cannot even describe it.:lol:

At least the Vanity Fair shoot had a point (albeit a weak one), an issue about introducing European royalty, with all important young European royals in it. Still, many pictures were frightfully pompous and again, in many cases it seemed as if they were just dressing up to be in a theatrical performance too.

What was the point of this shoot? The only awnser I read in this thread was that they did it for fun or because they liked it. Considering that being royal is their 'job' I do hope they will give their activities some more thought and I stick to my point that glossy pictures like these, be it by Mary, Máxima, Charlene, Diana or any other royal do not do a monarchy any favours at all. It only helps to show the irrelevance of it, as they portray the royals as nothing more than an expensive version of the Beckhams.

Madame Royale said:
So I take it you have not seen the photo's throughout the past 5 years of a young family celebrating birthday's and the like which clearly demonstrates the 'certain image of a princely family' you believe should be displayed...

I do believe you're making a mound out of a mole hill, Marengo. This editorial piece was evidently never intended to be judged as a guide for homely modesty, though naturally there will be those who feel compelled to suggest that it should have been.

I did see those photoshoots indeed, I did not mind them so I didn't critisize them. However, my opinion about Vogue-like photo shoots has always been the same too, I voiced that in 2004 on this forum, and I am voicing it now. I don't mind the royals not being modest all the time, provided it is in an official setting or it has a point. I usually like the Danish official photographs of Queen Margrethe, which are by no means modest for example. Not that a republic will appear over night because the royals portray themselves as the Hollywood couple of course, but I do feel that in the long run the decline of royalty to nothing more than the next celebrity family harms the fundaments of the institution.

Anyway, I am starting to sound like a record on repeat ;).

Last edited:
At least the Vanity Fair shoot had a point (albeit a weak one), an issue about introducing European royalty, with all important young European royals in it. Still, many pictures were frightfully pompous and again, in many cases it seemed as if they were just dressing up to be in a theatrical performance too.

What was the point of this shoot? The only awnser I read in this thread was that they did it for fun or because they liked it. Considering that being royal is their 'job' I do hope they will give their activities some more thought and I stick to my point that glossy pictures like these, be it by Mary, Máxima, Charlene, Diana or any other royal do not do a monarchy any favours at all. It only helps to show the irrelevance of it, as they portray the royals as nothing more than an expensive version of the Beckhams.

Well said Marengo, I agree with all you have said in this threat.

Furthermore, the fact that they run out of money to decorate the renovated palace(extra money that will come from the Danish tax-payers) should have made them less "flashy" . This pictures represent the opposite of royals concerned about over-spending.

I don't remember the Vanity Fair spread, does anyone have a link? :flowers:

These kind of pictures however are not useful at all, but instead show the bankrupcy of royalty. If the royals are nothing more than the Beckham family, why should we have them around at all?

Why on earth should this depict a bankrupcy of royalty?!?

For heavens sake it's just a photoshoot. Nothing more, nothing less.
I personally think the photographer should be slapped in the back of the neck for ruining what would otherwise have been a great shoot, with the odd setting.

Royals have posed for photos since the invention of photography and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Can we all get back to earth please, instead of being on the verge of going at each others throats, just because someone else like or don't like this photo series.

Last edited:
I think that these pictures might draw people to monarchy especially younger ones. They are seeing royals not being stand offish and better than them but like them. Having a baby and moving house at the same time something we all have done maybe at one time. I was not drawn to royals by a Queen Elizabeth I had no clue who she was at all. I saw a picture of Caroline of Monaco with Junot in a Night club and was interested we all know the drama with that. I like the pictures it just shows another side of the family and they do look happy which is nice to see.

{edit}

ANYWAYS ... I like the photoshoot - is Mary wearing the ruby earrings or the blue ones in the family pic?

Last edited by a moderator:
It never ceases to amaze me how some know exactly what someone elses thinks, whether it be Mary, the Pope or QEII.

In my oberservation a few years ago it appeared that interest in a lot of the Royal families were sliding, it is only because the younger royals are dong things differently that there seems to a slight renewed interest .
Thank goodness that royalty is not as stuffy as it once was.

is not true. mary donaldson is not royal or noble or aristocratic. just royal by marriage and it shows.

The way you even refer to her clearly expresses your complete disgust, so your opinion is not one I'd ever be likely to take seriously let alone read over in general had you not replied to my post.

And whether by marriage or not, she is royal and has most certainly proved her worth.

Last edited:
I seem to recall her title is Her ROYAL Highness.....I would say she is royal. Weather it be by marriage or not.

The way you even refer to her clearly expresses your complete disgust, so your opinion is not one I'd ever be likely to take seriously let alone read over in general had you not replied to my post.

And whether by marriage or not, she is royal and has most certainly proved her worth.
Well said Madame Royale! It is amazing to me that there are royal watchers and commenters who are far more snobbish than the royals themselves!

Of course you have a right to express your feelings (and your feelings about Mary and Frederik are well-known :lol:).
"

"well-known", hahaha~~

Funny! Your comment seems like just bass on your feeling to me, you can either agree or disagree my post but please don't use "well-known" to describe my feeling and views, everyone's comment is expressing one's feeling only but not the others, that's so unfair to the others. It's too much non make sense!!!

And, even I am not the fans of them doesn't mean that i hate them, I follow their act as other royals but I found that other royals do not show their privite lives like the Danish Crown family, to be honest, I don't think that's a good development of monarch. Christian and Isabella and also the twins would suffer harshly from the media in the future as you know our lives will become mych and much high-technology!

{edit}

Is it possible to return to discuss the actual photos?
The setting, the lighting, dress, posing, theme and so on, and state an opinion based on that?

Rather than reverting to whether we like or dislike M&F.

Last edited by a moderator:
The setting, the lighting, dress, posing, theme and so on, and state an opinion based on that?

I loved that the furniture was unpacked. An unconvential scene for a residence you'd have anticipated as already being 'functional' in some manner or form. And I was very happy to notice the furntire as being either Louis XVI or Empire in appearance.

Christian is turning into such a dashing little man. And what beautfiul eyes he is.

The portrait of Mary and Isabella was so darling. I quite admired the black tulle Mary wore in the picture as well. I've long wanted Mary to have a gown much the same as Queen Magrethe's black tulle evening gown so I hope if it didn't belong to Mary, prior to the photo session, that it now does. It worked well against the tangerine blouse and the neck scarf was a nice addition. Very soft and feminine.

Last edited:
"

"well-known", hahaha~~

Funny! Your comment seems like just bass on your feeling to me, you can either agree or disagree my post but please don't use "well-known" to describe my feeling and views, everyone's comment is expressing one's feeling only but not the others, that's so unfair to the others. It's too much non make sense!!!

And, even I am not the fans of them doesn't mean that i hate them, I follow their act as other royals but I found that other royals do not show their privite lives like the Danish Crown family, to be honest, I don't think that's a good development of monarch. Christian and Isabella and also the twins would suffer harshly from the media in the future as you know our lives will become mych and much high-technology!
Of course I can write well-known - when your views are well-known! There's no hokus pokus in that.

Well, whether we want to see the royal's private lives is a matter of taste and tradition isn't it - and probably widely different from country to country and from one individual to the other.
If Christian and Isabella and the twins learn how to act around the media and handle them from an early age, it will be doing them a great favour. Hiding them from the media and believing it will make things easier for them when the finally come out of hiding, is rather naive to believe IMO.

Thank you, Zonk :flowers:

myroyal's: PHOTOS FROM MARY&FREDER

Returning to the actual photos.

My two favourites are the one of Christian with Frederik in the background. I think it's very telling of a relationship between a dad and his son.

The one with Frederik and the falcon is actually good. I think it illustrates Frederik's mixed personality and his role in a funny way. I prefer it to be in black and white.

I will never understand where all the hate for Princess Mary is coming from.
i have the feeling this photoshoot was once again a perfect target for all those people who love to criticise her.
Charlene Wittstock did a 'fashion' photoshoot recently too but it didn't cause a 6 pages discussion.
i wonder if it would cause a discussion like this if any other royal would have done this photo shoot.
this is my feeling about this thread.
i like the pictures. they are nice to look at. i really like the picture of christian and frederik. christian really is a handsome boy.

Actually the Charlene photoshoot did call for a lot of discussion. There were a lot of comments regarding if it was appropriate or not.

I actually have some thoughts on why Mary provokes such a wide range of feelings...but this isn't the place to discuss it.

And here is where my cynicism, regarding Mary comes into play...I am sure the offer to appear in the magazine was presented to both of them, Frederik was probably reluctant, because he looks like a simple, private man BUT I imagine Mary however would have been brimming with excitement and had to really work on making Fred come around and agree to doing it...

Interestingly the most people who have gotten to know Mary, even before Mary met Frederik, say that she is a very private person who doesn't like standing in the limelight.

So basically you are criticising Mary for something you think she is. And you claim that Fred has no own will and falls over easily even if he doesn't want what he should be persuaded.

And I am not saying that it was Mary who persuaded Fred, it isn't even sure that Fred needed to be convinced. Perhaps it was even Fred who convinced Mary? Who knows?

Last edited:
Quite a few posts have been removed from this thread as they contained, amongst other things: personal attacks and arguments with other members, unconstructive criticism, speaking on behalf of others, empty posts. These posts added nothing to this thread apart from derailing it.

Please remember to stick to the topic of the thread and to treat other members with respect - treat others the way you wish to be treated.

So could we please return to the topic of this thread - the interview/photo shoot done with German Vogue - and not Mary's commoner background, how they may have come about doing this photo shoot, etc.

If you have any questions or queries about this thread/a post, please contact a Danish forum moderator.

JessRulz,
for the Danish Mods

is not true. mary donaldson is not royal or noble or aristocratic. just royal by marriage and it shows.

Usually the reganant of a country decides who is considered to be Royal or noble or an aristocrat. All aristocrats of today are only that because their ancestors or they themselves were at one point in time ennobled by their monarch. Thus, HRH The Crown Princess of Denmark is Royal, as her queen declared her so.

I disagree that royals are equal to celebrities and I dont think that they are supposed to become celebrities, simply because they have a state funded purpose.

Its another low that M&F promote themselves in a tacky homestory like celebrities who want other people to know how well off and perfect they are.

For that reason I dislike all photos, leaving the fact aside that they are technically well done, as usual with Vogue.

This photo of Mary is the perfect example of what they are - somebody said earlier fun and nonsense - and obviously aim to be.
http://1.1.1.5/bmi/3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ed7KEPTG8bU/TQl66jvLs8I/AAAAAAAAGDs/tO03CwJvgvU/s1600/339.jpg

The average pregnant celebrity attention seeker will pose naked, of course Mary cant do that, instead showing off what identifies her as a royal, tiara and jewellery.

If this is what is supposed to be the new & fresh monarchy of the 21st century, then good night Denmark (and everybody else, like Monaco, going down a similar path).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom