Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The interviews is about the modern art in a old castle...

I'm totally convinced it is why they all are in gala clothes (the old/the royality, the traditions) but the surroundings are moving boxes and the disorder (the modern/the new)

I think it is a picture with humor, I think it is a very good and funny picture :flowers:

And I have to say that Mary looks stunning

Sorry but what sort of humor should this be? Though I think this family is a very beautiful one I can't help myself observing them as superficial. This is again a celebrity style picture and we've had some of such in the past. I would love it as a "fashion picture" but don't like it as a "royal" picture.

I don´t like the pic. And yes they pose as celebrities, but they are not the only. The monarchy has become in that. And not only the danish, but the most. It´s funny to see some people criticizing this as if it were something new. I'm not talking about people who criticize this, no matter what royals do this.

And all the royals uses their children, whenever the royals appear publicly with their children. The parents don't mind instrumentalising them. (as you said duke of marmalade)

Nothing new

What beautiful pictures! I love the humor of them having boxes round them but in formal attire. These are not formal photos, they are for Vogue which means a bit of theatrics is added.

I wonder how long ago they were shot as Mary has a good size bump but with twins most women look like that at 6-7 months.

I understand many people will think they are 'dumbing down' their royal status but personally this makes me love them even more!!!

Sorry but what sort of humor should this be? Though I think this family is a very beautiful one I can't help myself observing them as superficial. This is again a celebrity style picture and we've had some of such in the past. I would love it as a "fashion picture" but don't like it as a "royal" picture.

I think the point of the spread is to highlight the Modern monarchy meeting the staunchness of the classic Monarchy.

They're moving into their new home, which happens to be a castle. Welcoming people to their home. And yet they can't get away from who they are...members of the Royal family.

I thinks it's amusing. And if it's too celebrity, who cares. It's in Vogue. As has been mentioned before, Royals have been posing for Vogue for years... Many of the photographs are posed and don't fit with what people here seem to view as proper royal photo conduct. But all of the monarchies are modernizing and many are celebrities in their own countries and other countries, maybe it's time people start realizing. There is nothing wrong with this photo, they are not disgracing the institution in any way...people are just taking it entirely to seriously. Something this family clearly does not do. They have fun with their personalities, and there is nothing wrong with that, it's honestly, rather refreshing.

I love the photo of Isabella placing her hand in the twins, very natural and sweet photo!

I really like the pictures. It's nice to see something a little different.

I for one love the relationship between Vogue and Royals and encourage it. These photos have made my day! There wonderful, I know I like to wear my tiara when I unpack my things into my new house! You can find more photos here, the one with Mary and Isabella on the floor is my favourite! And Fred and the Hawk, what a Hot Papa!

I love the picture of Isabella and Christian painting! The pictures are really beautiful.

I know the pic are nice but I's sorry to say that I really can't agree what they did. If i have right to express my feeling,:) I always find that they live luxuriously and it is too much and I think that if I'm the citizen of Denmark, I would not admire the royals and find that a huge waste of money on them. They didn't work so hard but always patying and wearing very luxurious clothes, I don't think that they're worth to get that. Even Queen Magaret didn't show off her royal life like that and Joachim and Marie have a quiet life like ordinary people(I know that they are not the crown princes, I refers the feeling they give to people), and long times ago Alexandra was always named as professional and hard-working. But, I always find M&F show their luxurious life too much, they didn't need to do so, I think Danish doesn't require their royals to do that. :bang:
That's why I admire other royals more than them.

Quote from Frederik out of the interview, posted on the blurb page on vogue.de:

"Being a modern couple, we have modern interests, so we tried to reconcile this with tradition. About the renovation, we have decided to include contemporary art."

Regarding the photos, I prefer the singular/duo photos over the family shot - as many others have stated, the shipping crates throw off a different theme/concept to the photo which I don't think has worked the way the photographer intended. I do, however, really like the ones of Mary and Isabella and the one of Frederik and Christian.

Last edited:
I love all these photos.

I think the photos are fun and not meant to be all serious official types, it is for a magazine and lets be honest they're not professional models. The sets in my opinion are great it's fun ... look at other editorial photo shoots e.g. Annie Leibovitz or Vanity Fair - they have a similar atmosphere to them.

My favourites would have to be Frederik with Frederik (the falcon :lol:), Mary with Isabella and Mary on a side profile :flowers:

A few questions: are the photos just on the online edition of the magazine? Which means I can't purchase a hard copy of it? If anyone knows how I can buy a copy please let me know...I have been searching all day to find out how, with no success...

And here is where my cynicism, regarding Mary comes into play...I am sure the offer to appear in the magazine was presented to both of them, Frederik was probably reluctant, because he looks like a simple, private man BUT I imagine Mary however would have been brimming with excitement and had to really work on making Fred come around and agree to doing it...
I personally, know a lot of couples like this (who are not royal) where the man is quiet, unassuming and the woman is sociable and always hosting parties for '20 of our closest friends' and always convincing her husband to do this, go here, invite so-and-so, etc...

Mary does have a history in law, marketing and PR, so she would have put forward a good argument for why this would be a good idea and be of benefit to all involved...I can't even imagine what some of her arguments would have been, but she's clever and she knows Fred well enough now to know how to sway him... ;)

I love them too. They are such a lively, lovely family. It is edgy the way they were done but you can tell they were having fun. We are going to have to face it the new younger royals are not like their parents. Life is to short to have every move taken so seriously. You need to laugh and enjoy it while you can. I love the one of Christian and Frederik with the ship. I wish they would not photo shop Christian's little freckle on his upper nose out all the time. Isabella and Mary on the floor is so sweet. Mary as always looks amazing in her gowns.

More photos from Princess Mary and Prince Frederik in Vogue Germany edition with their children

:flowers:http://myroyal-myroyals.blogspot.com/2010/12/photos-from-mary-in-vogue-german.html

I love the picture of Mary and Isabella sitting on the floor. Mary looks beautiful in the very first pic with the red dress.

And here is where my cynicism, regarding Mary comes into play...I am sure the offer to appear in the magazine was presented to both of them, Frederik was probably reluctant, because he looks like a simple, private man BUT I imagine Mary however would have been brimming with excitement and had to really work on making Fred come around and agree to doing it...
I personally, know a lot of couples like this (who are not royal) where the man is quiet, unassuming and the woman is sociable and always hosting parties for '20 of our closest friends' and always convincing her husband to do this, go here, invite so-and-so, etc...

Mary does have a history in law, marketing and PR, so she would have put forward a good argument for why this would be a good idea and be of benefit to all involved...I can't even imagine what some of her arguments would have been, but she's clever and she knows Fred well enough now to know how to sway him... ;)

All speculation on your part:flowers:How could anyone possibly know this is what happened?:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Speculation yes, but there have been many articles about how Mary has made Frederik more "approachable" to his future subjects and improved relationships generally within the DRF. How true this is is anyones guess however, the family do seem a lot less remote when in public, and you have to admit, that photo shoot is a bit of fun and nonsense.

Do they remember they are future head of state? I just cannot take them seriously. Sorry but Frederick seems to have none interest in something valuable as prince charles or prince felipe.

Nice fashion pictures but I thought the pictures were supposed to be about their home so.....where are the home pics?

that photo shoot is a bit of fun and nonsense.

Exactly MARG. It's light, contemporary and a bit of fun :)

I find that royal watchers are often the most opinionated, self righteous and damning indaviduals to have ever walked the earth...lol. To those who take an issue with their appearance in VOGE, build a bridge.

WOW, how "unusual" that a VOGUE shoot would encompass a contemporary subject and setting? You know, being that it's about contemporary art and all. Gee, who'd have thought???

And people taking it upon themselves to formulate the possible motivations (and scenario's) for the couple having approved this photoshoot is so obnoxious.

where are the home pics?

There were also portraits taken of various artists with their works for this article :)
I can't even imagine what some of her arguments would have been

Your talking of it as if your rather perculiar scenario 'settings', are in fact, factual events?..lol.

Last edited:
I know the pic are nice but I's sorry to say that I really can't agree what they did. If i have right to express my feeling,:) I always find that they live luxuriously and it is too much and I think that if I'm the citizen of Denmark, I would not admire the royals and find that a huge waste of money on them. They didn't work so hard but always patying and wearing very luxurious clothes, I don't think that they're worth to get that. Even Queen Magaret didn't show off her royal life like that and Joachim and Marie have a quiet life like ordinary people(I know that they are not the crown princes, I refers the feeling they give to people), and long times ago Alexandra was always named as professional and hard-working. But, I always find M&F show their luxurious life too much, they didn't need to do so, I think Danish doesn't require their royals to do that. :bang:
Of course you have a right to express your feelings (and your feelings about Mary and Frederik are well-known :lol:).

Just - don't fool yourself into believing that other royals do not live a luxurious life as well. And just because some royal houses do their best to 'conceal' the hard luxurious facts, doesn't - IMO - mean that they are better royals. I suppose it all depends on the differences in the various countries. Isn't it insulting to imagine that people do not know that their royals live in luxury - just because they haven't seen pics of it?

And by the way - Mary and Frederik have not often invited the media inside their home. Over the years, we have seen much more coverage of Schackenborg with Joachim and his two wives (not exactly a pauper's dwelling I can inform you).
We definitely require these royals - someone who know that sometimes it's OK to not only take themselves so d***** seriously ;)

And the pictures are gorgeous. Such a pretty picture of Christian with his father in the back :flowers:

I like the pictures very much - they are a bit eccentric, but lovely and funny. Marry looks absolutely stunning!

I don't know which is my favorite picture. Each photos is so lovely and cute like that one when Isabella put her hand on Mary's belly.
It's really nice this photoshoot.

Ah, come on. That's taking things to the extreme. :lol:

I doubt very much the monarchy will be abolished just because of a photo series in a foreign mag. Nor will there be a public uproar over this.

OMII also appear in photo sets in avarious magazines from time to time. And to the amusement of some of us, Joachim and Alexandra with their families almost compete about the prize for the most idyllic pictures of the year. :p
So Mary and Frederik are hardly standing alone.

As for the cost of having a monarchy on DK, that has just been published and I refer to that thread. Then you can judge for yourself whether you consider that expensive in comparison to other monarchies or not.

I really love Mary and family!!!
I love all the photos!
Thank you very much!:flowers:

Oh dear!!! I have to say that I don't like any of the photo's. I'm am one of the biggest fans of Mary and the DRF but these photo's look like something from the front cover of a Barbara Cartland novel. And we all how tacky they are!!!:sad:

A few questions: are the photos just on the online edition of the magazine? Which means I can't purchase a hard copy of it? If anyone knows how I can buy a copy please let me know...I have been searching all day to find out how, with no success...

I don't know, but I'm going to hit Barnes & Noble today to see if they have it. They usually have more international magazines and all the various Vogues than Borders (my prefered bookstore) does.

Perhaps I am in a minority here, but I dislike these kind of photo shoots with a passion. I never saw and still do not see why royalty should appear in fashion magazines with glossy pictures, showing off/rubbing in their lifestyle. They are NOT the Beckham family, they are NOT JLO & twins, they are NOT the average celeb. The line between celebrities and royalty is already thin enough as it is, but it seems that the royals themselves are working on it to make it even thinner.

All I see here are people dressing up in a costume, pretending to be royal. I very much prefer the recent photo shoot of the Duke and Duchess of Brabant, showing a normal family, and even better than those were the photo shoots of the -then- hereditairy grand dukes of Luxembourg with their family in their home, playing piano with the children, helping them do their homework etc. It might be as fake as these glossy pictures, but at least they are useful in projecting an image of a warm functioning family, working on behalf of a nation. These pictures have no use at all, unless they want to present themselves as Denmark's leading nouveau riche family or when they have a new music album to promote (which is not the case).

What is the use of appearing in a [German] fashion magazine with such glossy and heavily airbrushed photos, other than satisfying your own vanity? I didn't see the point in 2004 when the Danish CPss has her first love affair with Vogue, I didn't see it when an -almost unrecognisable- future princess of Monaco appeared in Tatler and I do not see it now. I think the only reason why royals should cooperate with commercial photo shoots at all is when they are promoting a cause or charity, and preferably with an interview about the cause/ charity next to the picture.

I can't imagine many other courts allowing their heirs in such 'empty' photo shoots, esp. since most courts go to great lenghts to project an image of the heirs as being hard working, down-to-earth, involved in important causes etc. IF (and that is a very big 'if') the point was to promote Danish design, it would have been more logical that they would pose in furnished rooms (assuming that these pieces will be Danish design), and posed with the pieces of art in their house, preferably in normal clothes. Again, this all seems to be done to satisfy the vanity of the people on the picture, very much like the Beckhams, but at least the latter couple has some perfumes to sell.

BTW, it is interesting to see how open the Danish RF is about Amalienborg, esp. if you compare it with the closed attitude of the Swedish Crown Princely couple, who are also redecorating their new home at the moment.

Last edited:
I love this family.
The photos are really lovely, and looked like a lot of fun.
The one of Mary and Isabella on the floor is special.

I like all pictures, my favourite is the picture of Mary in the red dress.

Perhaps I am in a minority here, but I dislike these kind of photo shoots with a passion. I never saw and still do not see why royalty should appear in fashion magazines with glossy pictures, showing off/rubbing in their lifestyle. They are NOT the Beckham family, they are NOT JLO & twins, they are NOT the average celeb. The line between celebrities and royalty is already thin enough as it is, but it seems that the royals themselves are working on it to make it even thinner.

All I see here are people dressing up in a costume, pretending to be royal. I very much prefer the recent photo shoot of the Duke and Duchess of Brabant, showing a normal family, and even better than those were the photo shoots of the -then- hereditairy grand dukes of Luxembourg with their family in their home, playing piano with the children, helping them do their homework etc. It might be as fake as these glossy pictures, but at least they are useful in projecting an image of a warm functioning family, working on behalf of a nation. These pictures have no use at all, unless they want to present themselves as Denmark's leading nouveau riche family or when they have a new music album to promote (which is not the case).

What is the use of appearing in a [German] fashion magazine with such glossy and heavily airbrushed photos, other than satisfying your own vanity (again, like the Beckham family)? I didn't see the point in 2004 when the Danish CPss has her first love affair with Vogue, I didn't see it when an -almost unrecognisable- future princess of Monaco appeared in Tatler and I do not see it now. I think the only reason why royals should cooperate with commercial photo shoots at all is when they are promoting a cause or charity, and preferably with an interview about the cause/ charity next to the picture. I can't imagine many other courts allowing their heirs in such 'empty' photo shoots.

BTW, it is interesting to see how open the Danish RF is about Amalienborg, esp. if you compare it with the closed attitude of the Swedish Crown Princely couple, who are also redecorating their new home at the moment.
I do believe that pics of cosy sessions around the kitchen table, making christmas cookies with the children, decorating the Christmas tree or any other family activity are just as staged as these new glossy pictures. These pics are just one aspect of royalty -and a treat for most of us who follow royalty. How boring it would be without this occasional treat; what's the fun in following royals if the look and act like the rest of us all the time?
These pictures may be used instead of a traditional Christmas picture; I don't know and I don't know what brought them about. But I líke the approach - which I personally see as a tongue-in-cheek session :)

The Swedish royal family may display more of Haga later on, when Victoria and Daniel have been married for some years. Going back in years it seems to me that we have seen more interior shots from the Swedish royal homes - not least when Victoria and her siblings were children.
Mary and Frederik have not invited the press into their home a lot; we have seen more from Joachim's home for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom