Frederik & Mary's Interview with German Vogue about Amalienborg: December 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking that somebody control the heating in the building, and that is terrible, just we feel worry for him he doesn't have kids to take care of him he does not have anytbody.
and this is sad!
well may be we can share a room there at Amalienborg! and pick in Mary's closet!

That is sad.
Perhaps he could talk with the neighbours. In larger cities there are also meeting places for old people where they can find friends and eat their lunch and play cards or just drink a cup of coffee.

Good idé. Perhaps we could also be hired as a "mundskænk" a person who eat some of the food before it is served to the royals:lol:

I think their private living quarters are going to be very relaxed and kid friendly. I can see natural wood floors, nice soft carpets in the bedrooms and comfortable, stylish yet very sturdy furniture. I can see them blending very modern pieces with the traditional wall fixtures. Mary is Australian by birth, so I can see her wanting to bring a very natural feeling to each room and keeping everything very light looking when those gray days in Winter come along. And Fred is a guy, I am sure there is a very nice flat screen plasma TV somewhere in the mix.

I think you may find that Maxima has been in a photoshoot of young royals for Vanity Fair and by reading the posts in that thread on this forum regarding that photoshoot it was Maxima that may have talked the other royals into doing the shoot. I am not sure if Mathilde was in the shoot but Victoria, Madeline were and I think MM was.
The reason is still the same to promote themselves and their country.

Phillipe, Mathilde and baby Elizabeth appeared in the Vanity Fair issue. They were photographed outside on the grounds of Laken Palace. I think they were sitting on the grass with Elizabeth between them.

That is sad.
Perhaps he could talk with the neighbours. In larger cities there are also meeting places for old people where they can find friends and eat their lunch and play cards or just drink a cup of coffee.

Good idé. Perhaps we could also be hired as a "mundskænk" a person who eat some of the food before it is served to the royals:lol:
wow, still that custom to try the food before theroyal so they do not get poison? wow i thoguht that was an old tradition!

I still fail to understand why this photo is a 'such a display of wealth'. Perhaps I might quietly mention that I've actually seen other CPs dressed formally, as well, on occasions.

If I were asked to offer some categorisation and justification for the photograph I'd suggest that it's post-modern; that is, it looks back on Modernism, takes it apart and critically examines Modernist assumptions. It then incorporates these reflections as a kind of ornamentation and elaboration on the idea being expressed. The idea being expressed here, I would suggest, is the permanence or otherwise of monarchical stability.

Look at the photo again. What we see, centre-first, is the Crown Prince and Princess, both smiling, with the Princess' gathered skirt held on her stomach, directly referring to a very famous, celebrated marriage portrait, which is 600 years old. They are assured of their prominence and acceptance in the world's present which consolidates the past.

Then consider the placement of the children, which, I could suggest, is very much the sub-texted purpose of the photograph and presages the future, particularly in concert with ever- changing and renewal postions of royalty, symbolised by the removalist boxes. Christian is, by contemporary necessity, behind his parents, but he's also above them, and is also standing proudly on the accoutrements of gathered possessions, i.e. he is above them, too; they will have no domination over him.

Isabella poses away from them all, and what a pose it is! She's cheerful-looking and presents as a separate, distinctly confident little girl, hands-on-hips if you don't mind (!) stating, quite explicity, that she may not be the centre of the hereditary monarchy, but she's very much her own little person and has no problem with that! She is the Princess Isabella!

Both children, together with Mary's pregnancy address the future of the Royal Family.

My opinion is that this portrait is so determinedly C21 and comments on the very idea of monarchy so adroitly and wittily, that it is bound to become a classic. Indeed, one professor of Fine Arts has already said that the photograph is, artistically speaking, a very important one. I thought so, too, from the very first I saw it.

If you don't get the photos (and I particularly admire the one of Mary in red) then you just don't get them. However, they're hardly representative of anything to do with the shocking global financial failures caused by corrupt business practices, just as CP Victoria's lavish wedding celebrations weren't, either. Or, for that matter, the current extensive (and expensive?) holidays of the Norways and the Oranges.

As for 'celebrity' versus 'royalty', the distinction is necessarily blurring these days, and it's inevitable, I say. These criticisms are reminiscent of the brouhaha surrounding Prince Philip's granting an in-depth interview to a journalist on one of the Sunday newspapers (shock/horror!) and Zara's appearing in paid advertisements (good grief! how infra dig!) All reflect the realities of today's world. The world changes and everyone, even royalty, must adapt or lose out and fade away.

To use this elegant and beautiful spread of photos as a weapon to criticise CP Mary, alone, is as unjustified as it is transparent. She's a seemingly pleasant-natured, attractive woman, whose background is solid, educated middle-class, and whose near relatives have not been accused of crimes against humanity, nor seedy, adulturous sexual exploits; she was not previously married before her wedding to Frederik, nor has she been accused of an unsavoury past, herself.

I am still a-waiting presentation of the specific charges against her which might warrant the continuing harassment of this particular Crown Princess.

Very well said Polly!

Polly, that was an awesome recap; so very well put and I couldn't agree more.

The first time I saw the group picture you analyse, my thought was also that this is a picture that is going to be shown numerous times in years to come.

That was very well said Polly and I couldn't agree more with you.
My very first thought when I saw the picture was "epic." .... well after I saw the complete picture anyway. :)

many thanks to polly for her very interesting analysis of the cover picture. i do agree with you, absolutely. one only criticism: perhaps vogue editor should have printed the whole photo smaller so as to include isabella also in the cover? it would have made the whole pic and its symbolism more complete.
as for the other pics, i seriously like the way the palace had been refurbished, keeping the ancient frame but inserting modern painting on some walls. in my opinion, it shows that the crown princes wanted to make the castle more "personal", a real home fitting their tastes.
also, happy that no pic of the private quarters was done or included. curious as i am, i was happy that they kept their privacy on these matters.

Sorry to repeat it again, but the photo is not the cover of Vogue ;) It was only used for the website.

sorry, i hadn't understood.
all the criticism about they behaving too celebrity-like had made me certain that it was the cover of the actual magazine...
thanks for getting it straight!

It is the first photo of the actual article, but in the magazine it looks different as Fred is in the fold and hard to see :D

Kudos to Polly for a nice post.

Personally I don't get what all the hubbub is about. Royalty is celebrity - I guess so. But that doesn't make celebrity royalty. You could just as well point to another Head of State, say a president and claim he is "mere celebrity". Look at the Obamas.

Not caring for a certain photo-shoot is one thing. Taste is different. IMO, the photo-spread in German Vouge is interesting, experimental and æstheticly superiour. I don't see much "display of wealth" - no more than would be expected from royalty. After all it's pretty far from MTV "Cribs". It's merely tasteful IMO.

I love the pic of Mary cradling her pregnant stomach. It's gorgeous and very natural ...

Did the Crownprincely couple get paid for this?

wow, still that custom to try the food before theroyal so they do not get poison? wow i thoguht that was an old tradition!

It is an old custom that has not been used for centuries. I was only kidding.:lol:

Did the Crownprincely couple get paid for this?

Highly unlikely. They don't "charge" for interviews or photo-shoots, but select carefully who, when and where.

In general, the Royal house does not get paid for anything, they get their assets from the state and only the state.

However, it'd possible to send them a gift - a way of "paying", I guess - and sometimes they recieve a check (instead of a gift) which is AFAIK always put into one of the royal foundations or trusts aiming towards charity.

But of course, it's not unlikely that German Vouge would like to "return the favor", and sends the CP couple something nice. But it'll never be an outright payment.

I still fail to understand why this photo is a 'such a display of wealth'. Perhaps I might quietly mention that I've actually seen other CPs dressed formally, as well, on occasions.

(....)

I fully agree.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
...and whose near relatives have not been accused of crimes against humanity, nor seedy, adulturous sexual exploits ...

Actually, there is the rather unpleasant cousin-in-law of Mary's, Brendan Johncock, (he was at the wedding) who was tried and convicted in Tasmania of interfering sexually with a minor - a child - in his care (he was a teacher) during the early 2000s. However - we can't choose our relatives and the only question mark hanging over that sordid episode for Mary, is whether it was wise to invite Mr Johncock to her wedding while the pre-charge investigations were happening. As royals go, though, that's a rather minor skeleton in the closet!

Since when is a cousin-in-law a near relative?

I know what it means. And I wouldn't call a cousin-in-law a close relative. After all his wife is the daughter of Peter Donaldson, John Donaldson's older brother. And why shouldn't he have been invited at that time. Ever heard of innocent until proven guilty?

Last edited:
Sternchen said:
I know what it means. And I wouldn't call a cousin-in-law a close relative. After all his wife is the daughter of Peter Donaldson, John Donaldson's older brother. And why shouldn't he have been invited at that time. Ever heard of innocent until proven guilty?

Maybe they aren't close in this case but maybe they are.... I am very close with my husband's cousins, thus cousin in law

Maybe they aren't close in this case but maybe they are.... I am very close with my husband's cousins, thus cousin in law

That's very far from the point which I was making.

Let's stay on topic please,

this thread is not about any relatives and possible stories about them! Thanks!

I love these photos! The entire family looks wonderful. Mary, especially, looks beautiful with her baby bump. I'm glad they had these pictures taken while she was still pregnant with the twins. I also can't believe how big Christian & Isabella have gotten. They're adorable children.

all opinions aside.....I do hope Mary's tailor can remake these dresses to fit her after the babes are born. I love all her dresses for this shoot, but the red with the Royal Rubies......fantastic!!!!

I really like this photoshoot! And this photoshoot was probably meant to take artistic pictures despite less formal. And well... family don't mean that members must be stick together all the time and that's why I understand and really like those photos:) These are very beautiful and interesting and artistic and royal photos and Isabella personality is seeing very well when she's standing alone:)

About boxes and gala dresses... well, during the last centuries royals always wore gorgeous dresses everywhere... so for me these pictures are something like that too - this photos make impression that this CP family is from past when gorgeous dresses where part of everyday and part of every room:)

Last edited:
Wonderful photos. Lovely family as always. Criticism on here are becoming really annoying and irrelevant since the Crownprince and his family are not the first and won't be the last to give such interviews to magazines. It's Vogue by the way, not a cheap rag so give them and us a break! It's a pity that everything is an excuse to bash on Mary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom