Four years down the track; Is Mary OK now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't say CP Mary has done an impecable job. So far she does a pretty good job in her role--she played it safe I think. However I wish to see her bring out her personality to her job. I want to see the person Mary is, the person who Fred fell in love with. Of couse we won't see all of Mary personality. I have a feeling she's a fun loving type, spontaneous person. But most of us have seen is her being polite, following instructions etc.

Whewww... glad it's not me!

All I can say is that Mary is doing a much better job than I imagine I would do. Seems like she is settling in well to a life spent in a fish bowl, albeit it a rather plush one.

I think she is doing well. How many other Crown Princesses have gone to other countries on their own, i.e. Prague?

I feel for her, I have to tried to learn Spanish several times and just could not do it. It is hard to pick up a language, some of us do not have the gift for it.

I think Mary has had it rough from the beginning. It seems like people feel more strongly about her than the other Princesses. Who else has more topics about her hair, past, clothes, accent, etc.? I wonder if it is because she is more like us than the other Princesses?

I think she does a good job what w/ producing an heir, going to all the functions that royals have to attend(art gallery openings, speeches, blah blah blah). She seems to be always in good spirits and happy to be doing them-unlike some other princesses- and is very profesional. However...there is something shady or fake about her, but I can't put my finger on what it is.

I think Mary is doing a wonderful job and living up to what is demanded of her.I really can't fault her- she is almost born into this role- she fits in well and the Danish people love her- what more could they ask for.. I agree that she carries herself well and she is always polite and dresses for the occasion.
I have heard from one friendly dane:lol: on this board she speaks very well and to me her opinion accounts for more than others on another board-;) :flowers:

tenngirl said:
I think she is doing well. How many other Crown Princesses have gone to other countries on their own, i.e. Prague?
Mette-Marit went to the US, on her own, and Malawi on her own. Mathilde went to Tanzania and Mali, Maxima visited Brazil, Uganda and Kenya, on their own.

As far as Mary's Danish goes, I've heard her speak once after she got married - a year ago when she came out of the hospital with Christian, when she had to switch between Danish and English, and when you have to switch like that, at rapid speed, not one of the languages are perfect. To get a more updated viewpoint of her language, I went to DR to view the transmission from 24/9, and the awarding of the culture-prize. She should definitely be working on her Danish, in my opinion. There was just something off on how it was flowing, and her pronounciation was way off at times, but I understood what she was saying, so kudos for that. Yes, Danish is difficult to learn, I'm not disputing that, and I admire her for going out there to speak in Danish when most Danes very well would have understood her if she'd spoken English. But to claim that her Danish is perfect, would be taking it too far.

She's gained a lot of confidence over these years, which I think is a great thing. When it comes to like or dislike, I have no problem with how she performs her duties. Obviously, I'd wish she worked on the Danish, to avoid the same sort of problems Henrik has been facing, but as Christian grows up, I think it will also make Mary apply herself a bit more. (Like Alexandra who talks Danish to her sons, so she can be a "Danish" mother like their friends have, while Joachim speaks French with them...)

While liking Mary, I have to admit that I don't see the point in glorifying her to the point of a saint. Few humans can stand up to such expectations. I also can't see the point of pushing other crown princesses down to push Mary forward, or the other way around. They all have their qualities and they do things differently in every country.

It got a bit longer than I intended.

norwegianne said:
While liking Mary, I have to admit that I don't see the point in glorifying her to the point of a saint. Few humans can stand up to such expectations. I also can't see the point of pushing other crown princesses down to push Mary forward, or the other way around. They all have their qualities and they do things differently in every country.

Somehow, I don't get the feeling that the general intention with this thread is to glorify Mary or make her a saint in any way - rather an opportunity for some to state that they have been pleasantly surprised with her development and her way of handling her new tasks. Mary has for some inexplicable reasons (to me at least) evoked some very strong negative feelings in some people; now we're just experiencing that some are reevaluating their opinions - and that's good I think - and fair.
And just for the record: I do like Mary:flowers: ; I don't glorify her or make her a saint (I suppose some of us should be able to just like Mary without doing that - just as some like MM or Letizia or Maxima without making them saints) - I just defend her when I find that she is being treated unnecessarily harshly. But I agree that there is much to like in other CPss as well - they all have their different strengths I think.

I really think she ahs changed a lot, although a god change!She is making a big effort to be a really good Princess. It is not easy for a normal person to became a Princess. Of Course she must have very good advisers to help her that is th good thing!

My intention in beginning this thread was to see how many of the very negative forum members had changed their minds at all about Mary. I couldn't understand where all the negativity was coming from. Considering she's come from the other side of the planet, both physically and culturally, I think she's doing pretty well. I don't imagine I would have coped as well... and I DID want to be a princess when I grew up!

HRHAmy said:
I think Mary has deffintely improved from when she was just starting out. I love the Crown Princess, I think she works hard, is a great mother and serves her adopted country well. I could compare her to other princesses but Mary is Mary and with all that she has done so far I think she has fared pretty well. Can you imagine living in a different country, you have to learn the language, follow their customs (and they're even more detailed since you are a crown princess), connect with the people, try to wear something suitable so some people don't pick you apart and say you're a bad princess because "oh my" you wore orange or something. And you have to get in good with the press which no princess has managed to do 100% yet!

I think Mary has done a very good job of adapting to her surroundings and finding a home in Denmark and is every inch of a princess.:flowers:

HRM Amy I could agree with you more.
Mary has proved to be a great Crown Princess. Thumb up for Mary.

I think a lot of the more critical opinions are/were catalysed by annoyance that some praised Mary straight into heaven, many times for things that aren't that remarkable (learning another language for example, which is done by many people) or for things that have been done by other princesses before; Alexandra came from another part of the world to for example, or praise for travel abroad alone, waht has been done by many princesses in recent history.

I think recently the ooh-ing and aah-ing at every breath that Mary takes has become less and the Princess is growing on me & seems more confident in her role. She also lost the 'marble' facial expresions the she had in the early days of her marriage (which I always regarded as a sign of shyness, but still it made her seem somewhat fake & haughty). And I think the CP has certainly proven that she is much more then a fashion princess and seems to be dedicating herself to many worthwhile causes.

Four Years down the track, Princess Mary is OK!

Definetely; but not Great as I always thought she would be by now.

I don't follow her so much as I follow other same generation Princesses but I have the feeling that she didn't adapt herself as easily as I expected her to do. And it is not only because of the language skills so I'll have to take your word for it;) ...

I agree with Marengo since I always thought the Mary's chin-up-look a way (a bad way but much better than the chin on the floor and scared eyes look - although people tend to think this is a more honest way to be shy) to cover her own insecurity and shyness and even fear.

But I still don't see her so comfortable, with the at-home-look that Princess Alexandra had at this time of the "job".

I would advise an extra-effort in the Danish Learning issue (she'll feel more confident if she can talk fluently with people - once I read an episode of her running away from journalists and not answering the questions and I thought she didn't prepare herself for that so she run from the situation - safe attitude bad idea:rolleyes: ) and to have her husband company more often. She's at ease with him and will be able to see how he handles some situations and learn - I thought she was sent to solo-acts too soon, considering some difficulties she could still have at that point such as to understand Danish-way, the language and even what was expected of her.

Princess Alexandra left, in some chapters, the how-the-crown princess-will-be expectative too high and we, royal fans seem to be more demanding towards "the next" Princess.

I like Mary - I don't see her as the oh-more (to coordinate well a skirt and a top doesn't make you the most fashionable person in the world) or the ah-best (to carry your son in arms doesn't make you the best mum in the world) but I see a person who wants to do her job, who likes it but I also feel something isn't letting her to fully appreciate it as she could.

I'm sorry for my quarter of page:ermm: ; I think it would make a shorter statement to bring her down.

Regards,
mtbcm :)

soCal girl said:
I don't speak Danish so I will take the word of the Danes. If Mary hasn't mastered Danish or isn't even close then she should definitely work on it. Being Crown Princess means mastering the language of her adopted home. It does take time though. However, I understand that in a relationship it's hard to switch gears and start speaking in a different language than they are used to with each other. I don't think Mary is working with her tutors anymore. I doubt the royal court had a tutor sticking around for more than two years. Does anybody know more about this?

It is my understanding that Prince Henrik hasn't mastered Danish either. My guess is that he probably has more language capacity than Mary because he was a diplomat prior to his marriage. If Henrik hasn't mastered Danish, perhaps it's a little much to expect from Mary at this point.

I'm not a huge Mary fan, but the lady is still adjusting to marriage, "princess-ship" and motherhood. Patience, people!

I have to admit that Mary is my favourite crown princess, so I may be biased. But I think a lot of people can agree that Mary has lived up to the position she has and carries herself with class, grace and respect for Denmark and the Danish royal family. Yes, she probably needs to work on her Danish, but people learn at different paces and I think, in time, she will be as fluent as Alexandra is now.

Alexandra set a high bar for anyone who followed or will follow her. She's done a very good job representing Denmark. However, Mary can't be expected to be as fluent or as versed as her former sister-in-law when she hasn't been a princess for even half as long as Alexandra.

I agree that Mary should be fluent in Danish, but as Crown Princess, it isn't as important as when she's Queen Consort. She has a lot of time on her hands to learn it and become fluent. Languages aren't easy to learn in adulthood! Even with the best tutors and teachers, if you aren't cut out to learn languages, you're going to have a very difficult time.

I'm neutral in my opinion of Mary. I think she's doing a good job, but I never really understood the uber-hype about her. Her demeanor seems a little forced and practiced. She certainly benefits from the enormous popularity of the Danish royal family. The Danes seem to like her, so I guess she's making strides.

I Love her shes awsome lol cant say anything bad about her :p

mtbcm raises a lot of interesting points...especially the one about her doing solo engagements. While it´s nice for her to have the opportunity to do this, I really agree that it is a shame Fred has not accompanied her on more, to guide her more, but like some others on these forums I feel Fred is a little lazy and perhaps not providing her with as much support as he could. As for the language, I think she should be pretty fluent by now and to be giving speeches to important organisations in Danish is quite impressive. The accent will of course take more time. Does anyone know what language she speaks with other members of the family?

eireann said:
mtbcm raises a lot of interesting points...especially the one about her doing solo engagements. While it´s nice for her to have the opportunity to do this, I really agree that it is a shame Fred has not accompanied her on more, to guide her more, but like some others on these forums I feel Fred is a little lazy and perhaps not providing her with as much support as he could. As for the language, I think she should be pretty fluent by now and to be giving speeches to important organisations in Danish is quite impressive. The accent will of course take more time. Does anyone know what language she speaks with other members of the family?

She speaks English with Frederik and most likely the rest of the family. Unless she needs to practice Danish for a specific occasion, I think the family goes by convenience which is understandable because a simple conversation doesn't need to turn into a stressful task. On the other hand, if Mary's Danish really does need a good amount of improving then it should be a group effort. It's not fair to say Mary should be fluent by now if everyone around her speaks English for convenience.

EmpressRouge said:
I'm neutral in my opinion of Mary. I think she's doing a good job, but I never really understood the uber-hype about her. Her demeanor seems a little forced and practiced. She certainly benefits from the enormous popularity of the Danish royal family. The Danes seem to like her, so I guess she's making strides.

I agree with this entire post. As for myself, interestingly, (well, to me at least! ;)) I find that more and more, anything Mary-related only yields, well, indifference from me, for some reason, I increasingly could care less what she says or does.

To contrast this a bit, on the other hand, I find I have the opposite reaction with anything Maxima related these days. Until not too long ago, I was utterly convinced Maxima took it easy, had her cake and knew to eat it too. But I have noticed that when you actually look at the content of for example her speeches, that she is very very involved with the content of it, whether she writes the actual speeches or not. What's more, Maxima is really showing a distinct <vision> on the topics she is tackling, and not only a vision, but a forward-thinking one at that! Very impressive actually.

As impressive as I find Maxima's involvement these days, as UNimpressed I am with Mary. She seems indifferent, and it shows in her speeches. They are cliche and distant, unoriginal, and uncommitted. Written by a pro, and without, seemingly, much involvement from Her Royal Highness. When Mary was in Prague, she looked great, granted. But I couldn't help but think: what is this dime-a-dozen girl doing that she is getting this welcome? I just couldn't understand the fuss. And not because she is a common-man born princess: because of her own seeming indifference toward the world. Pay it forward, you get what you sow. Hence Maxima's success, which is inspiring actually, hence my indifference towards anything Mary. Her husband seems indifferent too. And lazy to boot. What goes around, seems to come around: if these royals could care less, why on the planet should I?

soCal girl said:
It's not fair to say Mary should be fluent by now if everyone around her speaks English for convenience.

I agree completely.

She must be helped in that chapter.

I also agree that not everyone has the same facility in learning languages. I've attended several courses and I've seen people brilliant in so many aspects and just can't or have an added dificulty in learning languages. Others that don't seem so bright do it only by listening. I had a colleage in one of these courses that she not even recognised the words, when the professor was speaking with her she was always like :ohmy: she had never listed those words, which is quite impossible to happen since it was the most elementary words.

And Frederick, his family and friends should help her, without stressing her, speaking as much as they can in Danish. There's no better teacher than daily life I believe:flowers:.

Regards,
mtbcm

princess olga said:
I agree with this entire post. As for myself, interestingly, (well, to me at least! ;)) I find that more and more, anything Mary-related only yields, well, indifference from me, for some reason, I increasingly could care less what she says or does.

To contrast this a bit, on the other hand, I find I have the opposite reaction with anything Maxima related these days. Until not too long ago, I was utterly convinced Maxima took it easy, had her cake and knew to eat it too. But I have noticed that when you actually look at the content of for example her speeches, that she is very very involved with the content of it, whether she writes the actual speeches or not. What's more, Maxima is really showing a distinct <vision> on the topics she is tackling, and not only a vision, but a forward-thinking one at that! Very impressive actually.

As impressive as I find Maxima's involvement these days, as UNimpressed I am with Mary. She seems indifferent, and it shows in her speeches. They are cliche and distant, unoriginal, and uncommitted. Written by a pro, and without, seemingly, much involvement from Her Royal Highness. When Mary was in Prague, she looked great, granted. But I couldn't help but think: what is this dime-a-dozen girl doing that she is getting this welcome? I just couldn't understand the fuss. And not because she is a common-man born princess: because of her own seeming indifference toward the world. Pay it forward, you get what you sow. Hence Maxima's success, which is inspiring actually, hence my indifference towards anything Mary. Her husband seems indifferent too. And lazy to boot. What goes around, seems to come around: if these royals could care less, why on the planet should I?
Funny, how differently we perceive what we see and hear - I have almost the exact opposite impression :)

It's funny how much opinions have changed for some and others are still a little wary. As for me personally, I really like Mary. But then I think that because she's an Australian,and close to my age, I feel that I am caught up in the fairytale of it all. It is a great love story. I think that some people form their own opinions for different reasons, be it emotional, political, fashionable. I also think that because she is not a Dane by birth, some people may feel that she 'stole' the position of Crown Princess from one of their own. Surely even the most doubtful and harshest critics at the time, can now say that she is doing a wonderful job. She is often in the public eye and always looks great, she also attends alot of charity events and has even produced a handsome little heir not too long after marriage. From my perspective the marriage of the Crown Prince and Princess has even improved interest in both countries. What more could anyone ask of her?!!

princess olga said:

I agree completely.Particularly with your comparison between the 2 Princesses as my views are very similar to your own.

Royal Fan said:
I Love her shes awsome lol cant say anything bad about her :p

I second that, no wonder the Prince fell for her :wub: :flowers:

because he fell in love with her is that not nice all what is.
billie-jo

Four years down the track; Is Mary OK now?

I thought she was OK then :flowers:

princess olga said:

I don't have much of an opinion about Maxima, but I agree with what you've said about Mary here.

I like Mary and think she works hard. She is becoming more comfortable in her role as CP. I also think each of the different CPss bring something unique to their country and what is expected of them. I ersonally think it is unfair to compare them.

denice said:
I like Mary and think she works hard. She is becoming more comfortable in her role as CP. I also think each of the different CPss bring something unique to their country and what is expected of them. I ersonally think it is unfair to compare them.

I agree with you, denice :)

Comparing, to me, serves no purpose. I mean, what really comes out of it other than an obvious liking for one and not the other and it in no way benefits a discussion (I mean no disrespect to those who do compare as this is just my view :flowers:).

Whilst Mary is my favourite Crown Princess, I happen to think very highly of Maxima, Mette-Marit and Letizia aswell. None are necessarily better than the other (at least I dont think so) and it is their indaviduality that makes them who they are and defines their public role, which, I think they all do wonderfully and with great dedication (looking forward to seeing Letizia out and about now).

Pro Mary I am but pro Maxima, Mette-Marit & Letizia I am also.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom