Engagement of Crown Prince Frederik and Mary Donaldson: October 8, 2003

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonder what kind of dress she will have at the dinner, more pictures to see.

There is an engagement dinner now, too? Well, I might be the one who collapses from all this public display of love and affection from Fred and Mary! I hope Joachim and Alexandra will be at the dinner.

Any comments by Mary's parents during the press conference about their daughter's future role? Alexandra's parents were at her and Joachim's press conference.

Mary 'excited' over engagement
By Paul Mulvey
October 9, 2003

AUSTRALIAN Mary Donaldson today described her excitement at finally being able to show her love for the Crown Prince of Denmark, after the engaged couple was officially introduced to the Danish public.

Donaldson and Prince Frederik announced their engagement two weeks ago, and were given formal consent by Queen Margreth II, with the wedding set for May 14 next year.

After being introduced to a cheering crowd of 10,000 at Amalienborg Square in Copenhagen earlier in the day, Donaldson gave her first press conference after having lived a private life in the capital for the past two years.

"It's fantastic to be able to be open about it," she said.

"It's exciting, it's many things," she said, adding her future husband made her "happy and glad".

Donaldson said she was overwhelmed by the reception she received on the balcony of Christian IX's palace at Amalienborg Square, especially the sea of Australian flags waved by the crowd.

"It was, wow!" she said.

"The sight looking out from the balcony was exciting. It was beautiful to see so many Australian flags. "It was a nice feeling. It was a beautiful experience."

Donaldson said she understood she was embarking on a lifetime job in the public eye in a foreign country, and was bracing herself for the experience.

"It's a new role. It is something that will evolve over time, and I have much to learn," she said.

Prince Frederik described the day as day zero.

"From today starts something new and fantastic," he said.

"I'm so glad and happy, and today I feel like telling everybody how happy I am."

Donaldson passed her first test in front of 200 Danish and international journalists, impressing them with her poise and ability to speak the language.

A little bit about her jewels...;)

...[T]he engagement ring is believed to have come from the collection of Queen Ingrid, who died three years ago. Ms Donaldson will also get Queen Ingrid's rubies, originally bought by Napoleon in 1804 as a gift to the wife of his marshall, King Carl XIV Johan of Sweden.

The collection, which comprises a tiara, collar and earrings, will be given to Ms Donaldson to wear on official occasions, although they will still belong to the royal house.

Too sad she haven't spoke fluent Danish during the press conference. But she looked great in her outfit. i liked her shoes and her dress..

It's not yet too late for her to speed up with her Danish. She can show to the whole world maybe in the next events that she have already mastered such a difficult language! She was really nervous especially in the balcony for it was her first time maybe to meet with such a large number of crowds. She smiled but not really that warm and sociable. Looking at the Danes who have high expectations on her.Imagine their future Queen. She can be very pressured.

But no offense, the whole affair was really nice. They were all looking great in front of the Danish people.

How come Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra weren't there? Aren't they supposed to witness the whole engagement affair?

Frederik seems quite playful and proud in that Polfoto picture, showing off Mary's ring to the press. In fact, he seems more excited by the ring than Mary is!

Yes, Frederik has this look to him like "Lookie at this!" and Mary's very placid. ;)

I think Mary did really well at the press conference. She was obvioulsy VERY nervous and the questions were mostly rather silly (do you eat your breakfast in a Danish way?). She created an impression of someone who knows that there is much to learn but is ready to make the effort.
About her Danish: She started out really well and her little speech was very charmingly delivered. She was obviously quite overwhelmed and behaved a bit like a deer caught in the ligths from a car. All in all, I'd say she made a very good and dignified impression. And Frederik is obviously very much in love with her. He just couldn't stop smiling.

Alexandria 
Posted: Oct 8th, 2003 - 11:43 am

Frederik seems quite playful and proud in that Polfoto picture, showing off Mary's ring to the press. In fact, he seems more excited by the ring than Mary is!
Interesting comment .....
- does this mean he treasured his late aunt a lot?
- had a very good relatioship with her?
- and naturally he would know a lot more about the ring's history and its significance than M., and forgot (or decided it wasn't time yet) to pass on all the little details that add sparkle and luster?

I have never seen anyone look so happy in my life! And certainly Frederik has never looked this happy.

Despite my reservations about Mary and her intentions, obviously she makes Frederik the happiest he's ever been and that's all one can hope for another person, isn't it?

Absolutely Alexandria and if she does indeed make him this happy then there must be something good about her. :)

Giddy is the word I was thinking of to describe Frederik's happiness. A better example, Frederik looks like a kid in a candy store told that he can eat anything he wants!

I will admit that I wasn't too keen on Mary at first. But now I kind of like her!

One reason Mary might look a little more subduded that Frederik (apart from the overwhelmingness of the press) I'll bet she's missing her mum. Today's a day that any girl would want to share with their mum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there another link to hear the interview? I tried one for the Real Player and it doesn't work.

Hi everybody,
I just would like to share something that has just occurred to me ...

A number of comments have made about Mary's 'reserve', and it occurred to me that she will be playing second fiddle like Prince Henrik does. As I gather it, an engagement means a lot to women, so to play a part where one is not the 'prime player' is ...????.... Furthermore, she is a newcomer to a group, where the roles will shift and that must be daunting in itself.

One impression I have gained over the last while, is a shifting in the level of the plateau's played out between the Queen and the Crown Prince. It seems to me that the CP's star has risen (and might rise more?), and further it seems to me that the Queen is not altogether overjoyed by this.

And naturally, the Queen (I am sure) played a huge role today in how Mary was/is to present herself, what colours she was to wear and so on.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CP is already ahead of the Queen in this mindgame, and by his demeanour today, is giving his visual support to Mary in her forthcoming role (of subservience/mastery) to the Queen.

I wonder what other undercurrents have already caught up with Mary, and how much is all this apprehension impacting on her (subdued) presentation of today?

From an australian news agency/newspaper... http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0...5E13780,00.html

Mary 'excited' over engagement
By Paul Mulvey
October 9, 2003

AUSTRALIAN Mary Donaldson today described her excitement at finally being able to show her love for the Crown Prince of Denmark, after the engaged couple was officially introduced to the Danish public.

Donaldson and Prince Frederik announced their engagement two weeks ago, and were given formal consent by Queen Margreth II, with the wedding set for May 14 next year.

After being introduced to a cheering crowd of 10,000 at Amalienborg Square in Copenhagen earlier in the day, Donaldson gave her first press conference after having lived a private life in the capital for the past two years.

"It's fantastic to be able to be open about it," she said.

"It's exciting, it's many things," she said, adding her future husband made her "happy and glad".

Donaldson said she was overwhelmed by the reception she received on the balcony of Christian IX's palace at Amalienborg Square, especially the sea of Australian flags waved by the crowd.

"It was, wow!" she said.

"The sight looking out from the balcony was exciting. It was beautiful to see so many Australian flags. "It was a nice feeling. It was a beautiful experience."

Donaldson said she understood she was embarking on a lifetime job in the public eye in a foreign country, and was bracing herself for the experience.

"It's a new role. It is something that will evolve over time, and I have much to learn," she said.

Prince Frederik described the day as day zero.

"From today starts something new and fantastic," he said.

"I'm so glad and happy, and today I feel like telling everybody how happy I am."

Donaldson passed her first test in front of 200 Danish and international journalists, impressing them with her poise and ability to speak the language.

In Sweden's channel 4 we could hear Mary speaking danish tonight, and on a question from a swedish journalist she told us all taht she does understand swedish as well, "if its spoken whit a danish accent" ;)
and to me her danish sound danish
/ Sulan

What is wrong with Fred´s hand...it looks strange for a man in the mid-thirties

Unknown Source

Hahah, he's a werewolf waiting to burst from his skin...it's his fur! Hahaha :woot: . Maybe his veins are a bit oddly arranged.

BTW---> Did you expect less from Alexandra? She's way purtier than Mary. WHat an ugly blue dress...it was very poofy. She could take some tips from her sister-in-law to be. :)

That ring looks pretty modest.

Hope Mary's mood isn't a result of her having her heart set on a diamond?
Lena 
Posted: Oct 8th, 2003 - 5:33 pm

What is wrong with Fred´s hand...it looks strange for a man in the mid-thirties
Wrong? ...... strange???? ...... could it be he got a mild case of frost bite when he did his routine up in northern Greenland? But I have no medical background ....

Has Queen Margrethe commented on the addition of Mary to her family? I doubt the Queen would say that she abhors Mary or anything like that, but I am interested in what the Queen has to say about her soon-to-be daughter-in-law.

I just watched one of the video links posted here of Frederik and Mary and I have to say that I just cannot get over what a 'transformed man' Frederik seems now that his relationship with Mary is formal and out in the open. During the interview I noticed how he was gently stroking Mary's ring hand the whole time. She didn't really respond the affection, but probably because she was nervous with all the cameras.

Alexandria 
Posted: Oct 8th, 2003 - 9:01 pm

Has Queen Margrethe commented on the addition of Mary to her family? I doubt the Queen would say that she abhors Mary or anything like that, but I am interested in what the Queen has to say about her soon-to-be daughter-in-law.
It wouldn't surprise me if Queen Margrethe feels herself to be far too much a 'lady' (gentlewoman?) to make such a comment.

However an idea occurs to me ... given Queen M's creativity ... some samples of art I have seen from her, are imo are rather 'busy'. That is, only a super-sophisticated type might appreciate the intracacy (spelling oops) of the art. I wonder what input Queen M had on Mary's dressage at dinner tonight?

And in time, I think Mary will grow into her clothes .... once she finds her stride.

Originally posted by Alexandria@Oct 8th, 2003 - 7:52 pm

Really, I think Frederik likes this ring more than Mary does! He seemed to be showing it off a lot! Maybe he wanted the ring for himself?! :p
:ROFLMAO: Fred does seem to really like that ring, doesn't he???

Julia 
Posted: Oct 8th, 2003 - 10:00 pm

(Alexandria @ Oct 8th, 2003 - 7:52 pm)

Really, I think Frederik likes this ring more than Mary does! He seemed to be showing it off a lot! Maybe he wanted the ring for himself?!

Fred does seem to really like that ring, doesn't he???
Didn't some-one write earlier - like on a page way before this one - that the ring was from his grandmother, Queenmother Ingrid?

And if so, and if Frederik had a special relationship with her, wouldn't it make sense that Frederik has a lot of good memories attached with the ring ??

Of course! :D It's just so cute to see Fred so ga-ga over the ring and the woman wearing the ring. ;)

Originally posted by King Christian@Oct 8th, 2003 - 10:10 pm
Didn't some-one write earlier - like on a page way before this one - that the ring was from his grandmother, Queenmother Ingrid?

And if so, and if Frederik had a special relationship with her, wouldn't it make sense that Frederik has a lot of good memories attached with the ring ??
Fair enough if Frederick is attached to the ring because it once belonged to Queen Ingrid. But really, he's a bit too enthused and proud, no matter what the family connection with the ring.

I hope my future husband is as proud of the ring he picks out for me as Frederik of the ring he's chosen for Mary! ;)

Back
Top Bottom