Discussion About Frederik and Mary's Prenuptial Agreement

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her_Majesty said:
I just heard something about the new marriage contract Mary had to sighn.
It sound really strict...
In a case of a divorce Mary wouldn't get a single penny and no support. Neither she would get immovables. She also would lose the custody for the 2 children...
Mary sighned the contract...
I wonder why they made a new one. maybe because Mary has been very extravagant the last months?

There is a whole tread about this and no, your information is not correct: of course Mary will be well cared fro in case of a divorce.

<Removed comments in German/Mandy>

Last edited by a moderator:
Jo of Palatine said:
There is a whole tread about this and no, your information is not correct: of course Mary will be well cared fro in case of a divorce.
Oh i didn't see that thread. Thanks for telling me. :rolleyes:
I just wrote what RTL told me: so sorry if their information wasn't all right. ;)

<Removed comments in German/Mandy>

If you think of it, all the Jewells that Mary received which were inherited from Queen Ingrid and MII are fabulous and worthy for a CPrincess, but take a look at her Diamond engagement ring, the center stone was 2ct, big deal, alot of people I know have that size diamond (good Quality) w/o being engaged to a Cprince, (I think even Alex's ring was 2.5 ct) her wedding Tiara, is nothing to talk about, very poor in the way of diamonds, Now I understand, they don't have all that money to their disposal. (unlike the Duke of Cornwall for instance!)

auntie said:
If you think of it, all the Jewells that Mary received which were inherited from Queen Ingrid and MII are fabulous and worthy for a CPrincess, but take a look at her Diamond engagement ring, the center stone was 2ct, big deal, alot of people I know have that size diamond (good Quality) w/o being engaged to a Cprince, (I think even Alex's ring was 2.5 ct) her wedding Tiara, is nothing to talk about, very poor in the way of diamonds, Now I understand, they don't have all that money to their disposal. (unlike the Duke of Cornwall for instance!)

I don't know, maybe Mary isn't the ostentatious jewelery kind of gal. It might not have anything to do with funds or the lack thereof, and more to do with the fact that just because she's CPss, doesn't mean she needs to have ginormous jewels stuck all over her all the time. She's always looked regal and tasteful with what she does have, so why change that?

And not everyone can get a 2ct. engagement ring. A 2ct. engagement ring with a decent stone in it is pricey. Just because YOU know people with that kind of ice, doesn't mean everyone else has access to it. Maybe she wanted something small and tasteful and not huge and gaudy. If that was me, I'd want the same thing. Some giant doorknob of a diamond would make me feel uneasy.

Sister Morphine said:
I don't know, maybe Mary isn't the ostentatious jewelery kind of gal. It might not have anything to do with funds or the lack thereof, and more to do with the fact that just because she's CPss, doesn't mean she needs to have ginormous jewels stuck all over her all the time. She's always looked regal and tasteful with what she does have...

I have a feeling that you are right, Sister Morphine.

I don't find Mary's jewellery to be a show of what they can or cannot afford, rather, what she herself likes. Her taste in jewellery is very ecelctic and it suits her very well.

I have noticed (and actually agree with the arrangement) that the Crown Princess chooses to wear the jewels you would associate with a lady of her position only when it is necessary of her role, to exhibit 'the image' of a courtly royal. Yes, Mary's wedding tiara is not overly impressive, but appropriate when one looks to the exquisite parure now at her disposal, which she has worn only three times as it stands.

Sister Morphine said:
I don't know, maybe Mary isn't the ostentatious jewelery kind of gal. It might not have anything to do with funds or the lack thereof, and more to do with the fact that just because she's CPss, doesn't mean she needs to have ginormous jewels stuck all over her all the time. She's always looked regal and tasteful with what she does have, so why change that?

And not everyone can get a 2ct. engagement ring. A 2ct. engagement ring with a decent stone in it is pricey. Just because YOU know people with that kind of ice, doesn't mean everyone else has access to it. Maybe she wanted something small and tasteful and not huge and gaudy. If that was me, I'd want the same thing. Some giant doorknob of a diamond would make me feel uneasy.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way, I meant that a 2ct ring isn't something you need to be a gazzilionare or a crown prince,to buy. Diana's engangement ring cost Charles 25 years ago 25,000 Pounds, she was not ostentatious, but every peice was, ahh! anyway back to CP Mary, I can see you are a Mary fan, I am neutrual, but I still hold had Fred had more money,her new jewellery would be more expensive.(not neccesarily ostentatious, Mary has class)

I couldn't have put it better myself, well done. It's true that the press sensationized the matter. As you rightly pointed out alex is only acting within the bounds of the pre-nup she signed when she married Joachim.

I bet it was a gamble (on part of the press and the one who leaked the pria-nup details) that the minute that the findings were known, aspersions would be thrown upon Alex because of the timing of the divorce.

Very few would remember how hard Alex worked for denmark and what occured (both said and unsaid) when things weren't dandy between them. there would be plenty whom wouldn't let sleeping dogs lie.

It reminds me of the times of old divorce wasn't an option, theystuck it out until death did they part (Not that the parties concerned didn't do their best.) Back in those days it was the lady whom would have lost her standing irrevocably, in the event of divorce. So in this age Women are better provided for in this case.

The difference now is that CP Mary's pre-nup has changed from the one that Alex has to one that would make it worth her while to remain married. Although the same Pre-nup redraft would still amply provide for her in the the event (I hope it doesn't happen) of divorce. Having said that many could have argued that the timing of the pria-nuptual redraft, was poor. But hey hindsight sometimes is a pain in the behind.

I still can't help feeling that it is a kneejerk reaction to more things than, Alexandra and joachim's impending divorce and settlement alone. Although I could be wrong.

My question is why wasn't that the matter kept between the parties concerned, thereby the parties concerened and the country would only remember the good times. As history has shown certain private things placed into the public domain (of the press,) have made things more untenuable. I really hope that an ammicable arrangement acan be reached.

Fashionista100 said:
Boy, times change. I remember when Alex could do no wrong and everyone thought Mary was the "golddigger." I don't think Alex took advantage of Joachim at all. First off, they both had lawyers. If his lawyer had half a brain he would have told him to put in monetary amounts. Joachim knew Alex could pick any house she wants. Two, Joachim is not destitute b/c of the divorce. Three, Alex still works, she has worked long and hard for Denmark. If she wants to take it slow for a year or two to recoup, so be it. Her own home is not overly extravagant. It had to be remolded and furnished. Security needed to be upgraded for her and the children. There are very few places they could have gone. She needed a place in the capitol for work. She is very involved in her charities. Now is Mary's time and Alex is stepping aside for the time being and taking care of herself. She's earned it. No one worked as hard as Alex for Denmark for years after she came on the scene. Alex wouldn't take advantage of Denmark and Denmark wouldn't leave Alex in the cold.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
I have a feeling that you are right, Sister Morphine.

I don't find Mary's jewellery to be a show of what they can or cannot afford, rather, what she herself likes. Her taste in jewellery is very ecelctic and it suits her very well.

I have noticed (and actually agree with the arrangement) that the Crown Princess chooses to wear the jewels you would associate with a lady of her position only when it is necessary of her role, to exhibit 'the image' of a courtly royal. Yes, Mary's wedding tiara is not overly impressive, but appropriate when one looks to the exquisite parure now at her disposal, which she has worn only three times as it stands.

it makes sense to me. in a way, I think it kind of goes well with the DRF, at least with the way they present themselves (imo); understated, not obnoxious, no need to impress or th show off -- even though I bet they certainly could if they wanted to because they do know how its done -- Frederick's wedding was very impressive and in good taste, imo, orchestrated as fit for a true Crown Prince whose wedding would be seen by many, many people.

I remember a lady I met once and she had a huge diamond (or like diamond I guess) on her finger and it was really distracting for both her and everyone else.

I just think the CP is a little more practical about the jewellery thing, but that's just my own opinion.

(or maybe she prefers to spend her money on clothes:flowers: I could certainly understand that :) :lol: )

Last edited:
I just think the CP is a little more practical about the jewellery thing, but that's just my own opinion.

That's my opinion too. Mary doesn't seem to go around in huge over the top jewellery.

I think these comments a little trite and comical. I've never, ever before, heard any suggestion that Denmark didn't have sufficient funds to pay for an over-the-top engagement ring for its Crown Princess.

Lichenstein is the wealthiest European royal house. The UK family is around 6th/7th.

If CP Frederick and CP Mary wanted a 10 carat diamond, I'm sure that they could have afforded one.

Personally, I turned down a more ostentatious engagement ring because I preferred a more simple, and to me, much more elegant one, which didn't cost quite so much.

Polly

Polly said:
If CP Frederick and CP Mary wanted a 10 carat diamond, I'm sure that they could have afforded one.

Personally, I turned down a more ostentatious engagement ring because I preferred a more simple, and to me, much more elegant one, which didn't cost quite so much.

Polly

I know! And lets just remember that we don't personally know any of these royals so we can't really say what their personal tasts are like.
Maybe Mary prefers embroidery, lace and fine little details on her clothes, but with her jewelry she sticks to simple and classical choices. Sort of a foil for her trendier and much more detailed clothing. Just my opinion though.:flowers:

Oh my I think I've landed in a strictly Mary fan zone:wacko: (just kidding) All I meant was that when I first saw her engagement ring, I didn't think it was something sooo fabulous as her position would dictate, please don't go on another pro-mary tangen, it's really enough up untill now yes I can see she is classy etc. I just have memories when I was a girl how everyone went gaga over Dianas engagement ring, and how special and unique Maxima's ring is. and I was just voicing my opinion, which I am entitled to...

Several posts discussing CP Mary's law degree have been moved to the "Crown Princess Mary's Education: Subject; School..." thread so that we can keep this discussion on track.

Happy posting!

Mandy

I was sorry to read that Hello Magazine featured this story of an altered pre-nuptual agreement. All embarrassment couldbe erased if the Queen and Prince Consort would give Mary a house in Tasmania, now, for vacations and in lieu of jewelry.

I wish that the Danish Royal's legal team would have advised the crownprincely couple before their marriage to ensure that this kind of indiscretion did not occur. All of Fred's personal assests should have been up for grabs nothing belong to the crown. Any increased income that came with the crown upon his descent to the throne should have been assessed and soem arrangement should have been made to duly compensate Mary if they were to divorce. I believe personally that any royal man, especially crown princes and princesses should provide for their spouses upon divorce to keep them on a tie leash and to make sure that as a result of their marriage no undo harm occurs or embarrasment comes their way.

Keeping a spouse on a "tie leash" and heavily dependant on the whim of an ex-husband is what divorce courts in Australia and I suspect elewhere have been trying to avoid.
It is the reason that courts favour one of splits in the marrital assets and them both going their seperate ways rahter than ongoing maintenance for years and years.
The exception if maintenance of children and here there are many instances of assets and income being hidden and the parties squabbling and fighting.

I guess royal divorces are just the same old game but at least one of the parties has the choice to run to a journalist friend and "play to the audience" and if the other party follows suit then we have Charlie & Di II.

It's better that the spouse is financially independant of her ex's family (like Alexandra) with title, status and public profile in line with her discrete and professional handling of the divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom