Danish Crown Princely Family Visit to Australia: August-September 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i sstill thinking 18 is a lot, but of course, as a princess she does not bother to pay for overwight and excess luggage, she can do what ever she wants!

18 bags does certainly seem like a lot. however, i guess perhaps they are bringing over presents and may take things with them, appart from the fact they are travelling with nanny and bodyguard. even so, 18 bags seems like a lot to me!

"She can do what ever she wants". An ignorant comment if ever there was one.

Just a comment on the interesting "18 pieces of luggage" discussion...I am sure they are not all Mary's things, like others have said...Count them: Mary, Christian, Isabella, Nanny, Security, Frederik, his bodyguard, etc...yes, Mary probably brought Frederik's bags too, like a good wife should so he wouldn't have to cart his share from Beijing to Hobart...ya think? And I am sure there are a few bags of "hand-me-downs" for Mary's sisters perhaps, lucky ladies to get Mary cast offs ;)

'We' aren't really discussing the number of bags brought are we?..haha..It is such a non issue.

Well, I cant speak for the rest, but I am because its such a nice trivial change from the stress and busy-ness that is my everday life right now! :rolleyes:

I'm sure they'll also buy certain things when they're here, so perhaps one or two suitcases are reserved for such a purpose.

I'll admit that when we used to travel we always has 1 or 2 spare cases ;)
So it's perfectly possible that thats been considered here too.

"She can do what ever she wants". An ignorant comment if ever there was one.

Well, I'll agree that its maybe not the best wording, but perhaps the sentiment or meaning that should be taken from this is that she may have more lee-weigh with things such as baggage weight restrictions, financial considerations etc...

Mary probably brought Frederik's bags too, like a good wife should so he wouldn't have to cart his share from Beijing to Hobart...ya think?

I hadn't thought of that but its certainly a very valid point.

Well, I cant speak for the rest, but I am because its such a nice trivial change from the stress and busy-ness that is my everday life right now! :rolleyes:

Trivial? You got that right...:D...I'd imagine you've been studying hard? I can certainly understand your need to 'break away' from it all.

Well, I'll agree that its maybe not the best wording, but perhaps the sentiment or meaning that should be taken from this is that she may have more lee-weigh with things such as baggage weight restrictions, financial considerations etc...

Not really because 'someone' (or financing body) has to pay, and I hardly think Mary, in the position she's in, would purposely abuse such an arrangement just beacuse "she can". I stand by my initial response...;)

Trivial? You got that right...:D...I'd imagine you've been studying hard? I can certainly understand your need to 'break away' from it all.

Not really because 'someone' (or financing body) has to pay, and I hardly think Mary, in the position she's in, would purposely abuse such an arrangement just beacuse "she can". I stand by my initial response...;)

Yes I have been, its been a really hard grind these last 3 weeks but then hopefully I can return to more normal work hours and stress levels before the build up again for exams.
I used to have it so easy and I never even knew it!

Fair enough, thats absolutely your right, and I didnt mean to say that she would purposley abuse the arrangement/her position either, perhaps it comes with being a student and having to pack so carefully when I fly (being overweight can cost more than some of the clothes I own!!!) that my perspective is a bit coloured... :rolleyes: Sorry...

The amount of press following her to buy nappies looks incredible. I realise thats its been a decent amount of time since Mary's been in Australia, but I feel for the woman. Glad she's smiling!

Last edited:
Wow, who would have thought, that it´s so much fun to buy some nappies. Maybe it´s really time to go off contraception :rolleyes:

Wow, who would have thought, that it´s so much fun to buy some nappies. Maybe it´s really time to go off contraception :rolleyes:
:D :D - can't wait for the pics of the outcome.
It is a bit over the top with all these photographers following her everywhere.

Gee I don't envy her one bit...

As much as it's nice to see photo's of Mary, Frederik and the children, I'd rather not know what they are up to on their private holidays. I haven't seen the pictures and I won't endeavour to look either.

Such is the life of HRH The Crown Princess of Denmark.

Princess Mary caused a media frenzy when she ventured out to buy nappies at a West Hobart chemist
Princess Mary in Hobart | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

That's a pure celebrity and attention stunt, I guess Mary likes to be seen on her private vacation. If she wanted to be private she would have send a member of her entourage to buy nappies as she does when she is in Denmark. I guess the next step will be complaining about paparazzi being intrusive on a private occasion.

Perhaps she wanted to see the store for personal reasons. A friendship with the pharmacist, or just to touch base with something that was a memory. I always cruise my old haunts to catch up when I go home, as I am sure many others do too.

That's a pure celebrity and attention stunt..

How you can rationalise that statement, I'm not so sure.

She is currently holidaying privately with her family. It is a private occasion, incase you happened to miss that. Everything Mary does while in Tasmania is of a pesonal nature.

Wouldn't be much of a holiday if you're cooped up in your sisters home the whole time, having to judge your every move on the intrusiveness of the media. Quite rediculous and particularly unfair to insinuate she should.

She should be able to do such things without being harassed, and the fact that she can't does not then justify your above statement.

That's a pure celebrity and attention stunt, I guess Mary likes to be seen on her private vacation. If she wanted to be private she would have send a member of her entourage to buy nappies as she does when she is in Denmark. I guess the next step will be complaining about paparazzi being intrusive on a private occasion.

So, it's been reported that the DRF is on a private holiday in Tasmania and they are expected to stay indoors, out of sight for the entire visit? That seems a little sad :ermm:. Mary needs to buy nappies for the little one but she has to send a member of her entourage to buy them? That's a little sad :ermm:. Why is it that Mary and her family can't enjoy a few days off, visiting family without the little parasites buzzing around snapping pictures at every given opportunity? It was reported that the holiday was a private visit, isn't that enough to keep the mosquitoe's away.

If she wanted to be private she would have send a member of her entourage to buy nappies as she does when she is in Denmark. I guess the next step will be complaining about paparazzi being intrusive on a private occasion.

The question is how much of an entourage she took with her as I guess her sister doesn't employ footmen to go shopping for her. And what sense is there in staying inside the house when you travelled round the world to be home again? Plus the offers in pharmacies, supermarkets and other shops are different in Australia and Denmark if you don't count international brands like those infamous nappies - so going into a shop certainly gave her back a bit of the flair of being back in Tasmania.

Plus it was a good occassion to show the paparazzi and reporters how ridiculous it is what they are doing - just read the reader comments to the Mercury for reporting as frontpage news that Princess Mary bought nappies - of all things... Might make some TV producers and editors think twice if they should pay for the coverage of such events for days on end.

But I hope Mary and her family will be able to find again a secret place in Australia to holiday without paparazzi intrusion, just like they managed the last time the Danish relatives visited. :flowers:

How you can rationalise that statement, I'm not so sure.

She is currently holidaying privately with her family. It is a private occasion, incase you happened to miss that. Everything Mary does while in Tasmania is of a pesonal nature.

The Danish like to advertise their private occasions almost as much as if it was an official event. If these visits to Australia are private why do they announce them - partly with an agenda - weeks or month in advance. Given people are interested in an autralian-born danish princess the paparazzi will be around and IMO Mary and Fred do nothing to prevent such a scenario - to me it rather looks as if they feel flattered by Mary's celebrity status in Australia. Yes in an ideal world people should get attention when on business and be left alone when on private occasions but that is only a fairy tale these days.

Isn't that the Queen of Denmark did her own shopping in a local market when she's in France too? Is that mean she's looking for attention stunt too:rolleyes:

The Danish royals, as with any other royal family, are 'property' of state. They do not advertise their holidays (Summer at Gråsten and in France aside, as they are largely considered a tradtion of sorts), but confirm them as is required for them to do so.

Nothing is mentioned about their private holiday (meaning, what it is they shall be doing whilst on holiday) by their court or the royals themselves. Why? Because it's a private vacation.

Only their few formal engagements while on the continent have been noted in the papers and confirmed by the court, officially. Again, that is hardly advertising one's vacation, though it is confirming what is required to be confirmed.

I'm not at all sure why it is Mary's fault that the paparrazzi are taking photos of her when she is buying nappies? Is she not allowed to do any kind of the normal things that a mother does? The poor woman can do no right apparently. Damned if she sends someone else to buy the nappies, as she is being "too demanding and high maintenance and not normal enough" and damned if she goes herself for trying to create media frenzy.

DoM, I think that your assessment of the situation here is a little off base. I mean really, what do you think that she should do when she is on vacation? Stay in her room?

And furthermore, it's not Mary who is creating the demand for these photos, but those of us who look at them and buy the magazines. If we didn't want them, then the papparazzi would not waste their time. They could take heaps of photos of me (not that I would be at all pleased if they did, mind you) but they wouldn't sell a single one, so they aren't likely to are they?

i suppose she like to do all kind of normal things like she use to do in the past before her marriage, but i am sure she knew that it would be a papparazzi frenzzi, she might enjoy it too and have fun, she is smiling...so i presume she is ok

I think it's really pathetic that a "diaper run" as we call it is considered a newsworthy event! It just makes the journalists and photographers look foolish!

It would be ridiculous to try and fit them into luggage to take them with you on the plane. And it wouldn't be smart to send a Danish dtaff member out to get them when they have no idea where to go, presumably never having been there before. Besides, it's a vacation - why can't she try to get back a little normalcy?

Well in all fairness to the media, rembering most have travelled from Denmark and their boss's no doubt want a return on the costs involved, it might not have created such a frenzy if the Danish media co-ordinator had not made the statement below to the press. Also the timimg of the outing and blocking the roads when children were coming out of school. It has been announced that Mary likes to pick up her niece from school, so we will probably get the same media frenzy again.

"Although Danish royal media co-ordinator and former Tasmanian journalist Nina Fudala said no public events were planned, there was a hint that the princess "might be around on Tuesday afternoon".

No-pomp Princess Mary flies in | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

DoM, I think that your assessment of the situation here is a little off base. I mean really, what do you think that she should do when she is on vacation? Stay in her room?

I was referring to the picture

Princess Mary in Hobart | Mercury - The Voice of Tasmania

which is very celebritiy style and not "private" at all. I am surprised that people announce "private" vacations months ahead and then decide to go and buy nappies at the chemist like Joe Average does only to find themselves - surprise, surprise - surrounded by bodyguards, camera teams and dozens of reporters as if they were popstars or actors. Their last beach vacation was obviously "private" as the pictures show them trying to get away from the public and finally annoyed by paparazzi photos and media intrusion but going to Australia is rather a semi-private "welcome home" tour with the media obviously allowed close by. They can spend their vacation how their want but my definition of "private" is something else.

I think she knew that the moment she steps out of the house she will have thousands of paparazzi around her, but that's life and she knows that!!! She needs to buy some nappes for Isabella and she went to the store, that is a real trivial thing for us, maybe for Mary is her first visit to a supermaket since she become princess and maybe she needed to do something diferent snd to feel like a normal women:flowers: I love to see her dress like this:wub:

Isn't that the Queen of Denmark did her own shopping in a local market when she's in France too? Is that mean she's looking for attention stunt too:rolleyes:
You are correct. The Queen did some shopping (and smiled at the camera the same as Mary) but neither looked for attention. They received it because of who they are but they certainly didn't go out looking for it! I just couldn't imagine what that is like -- to be stalked 27/7! Yikes!

I was referring to the picture

Then your statement remains entirely unsupported, You cannot base a situation solely on a photograph as you have here done.

Your accusing someone of manufacturing a situation, based on a photographed which was taken not with her permission, during a holiday which is, contrary to what you may believe, a private affair.

They cannot supress the paparazzi from following them, and are unable to prohibit them from taking photographs.

Ehm, I´ve been Royal watching for about 10 years and there must have been at least 4 series of oh-so-down-to-earth Daisy shopping at the market in France. All high quality.
One could nearly categorise it the same way as the shooting at Graasten. She definitely isn´t haunted by Paparazzis, I´d rather guess a photographer gets contacted for those pix.
Very much compareable to the sailing show of the Spaniards in summer.
And as we can read out of Trinity´s post, it really seems as if the press got indirectly "invited" for Tuesday afternoon...buying nappies for Isabella and Xian (I guess the blue bag is with diapers for him?)...or buying some veggies at the market...isn´t it the same show, which should show down-to-earth-ness. As it seems one of her sisters had worked at this store (before she had opened the juice bar), she could have bought those diapers beforehand. No, this must be a show. Royalty biz is a tough one...they have to work with all tricks.
Of course it could be, that this show was also a try to make the Paps feeling "fed-up" with the time, so that they would have at least some relaxing days ;)
But of a "coincidence" in the meaning of a spontaneous shopping tour from Mary´s side, I´d really not speak after Trinity´s post (with source)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom