Crown Princess Mary's Visit to East Africa: August 26-28, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you, Iceflower. :flowers:

I can't recall having seen so heavy a security presence around Mary since Afghanistan.
In the refugee camp they are standing around her like flies!
And they are FET, at least one is packing heavy gear.

They are standing further back at the NGO project, or whatever it was Mary and the minister was visiting.

You are welcome, Daria S

Last edited:
I'm so proud of Mary.
This is what royals should be doing.

Thanks for the translation Muhler! :)

:previous:
You are welcome, CrownPrincess5 and I agree with you.

Here is the clip from the TV2 news at 19.00: Mary i Kenya: Hbets lys er slukket - TV 2 Nyhederne

Mary has here just visited the clinic in the refugee camp and afterwards she said to the camera: "It's difficult to see small children, who have been through so much with their families and who hasn't got the strength to look them (the mother/parents) in the eyes. It's like the light of hope has been extinguished".

Among the children she met was Ali, about him she said: "Poor Ali, he has been sick for an extended period. He is suffering from illnesses as a consequence (of starvation), which means that he is in the condition he is today".

A fairly long and somewhat emotional interview with Mary, aired live during the fundraising show Saturday evening.
Here from inside Ethiopia.
Dybt berrt Mary i indsamlingsshow - TV 2 Nyhederne

And a brief interview from BT, where Minister for Development, Søren Pind, commends Mary for her (communications) talent and he is confident that her profile in the public will surely ensure more attention and donations. And he states that Mary is an excellent ambassador.
- BT TV - BT.dk

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so proud of Mary.
This is what royals should be doing.

Thanks for the translation Muhler! :)
For me personally, Mary has gone from "pretty Princess" to "concerned" Crown Princess on this trip and it's a welcome sight for me. I have always wanted to see her do something like this type of trip, I guess you could say, have a passion for something real outside of Denmark. Good job, hopefully her presence will bring some needed relief efforts to this part of the world.

Thank you all for the video and photos. Good on Mary for using her position to shine a light on a terrible situation.

Hope the ankle recovery is swift and complete Muhler.

For me personally, Mary has gone from "pretty Princess" to "concerned" Crown Princess on this trip and it's a welcome sight for me. I have always wanted to see her do something like this type of trip...

Mary visited Uganda from the 28th September to the 4th October in 2008, in her capacity as patroness of the Danish Refugee Council.

This type of visit, isn't a first for the Crown Princess.

After watching the video and the impression from Uganda, I dont think that Mary is a "natural" when it comes to being confronted with tragedy or very different ethnics/cultures from what western people are used to. She seems rather reserved and with a more reserved body language, nevertheless its genuine and reflects the kind of person I believe is. I think Mary did a very good job promoting the cause not in an over-dramatic way, still touched by what she has seen but rather pragmatic.

I am glad she is not trying - and failing - to be another Diana or Angelina Jolie, who had or have the talent to embrace the situation as true "humanists" (very effective on camera but authentic, its a special gift only very few posess).

Thank you all for the video and photos. Good on Mary for using her position to shine a light on a terrible situation.

Hope the ankle recovery is swift and complete Muhler.

Thank you, but it's actually UserDane who broke her ankle.
I'm the one with the father-in-law.

A fairly long and somewhat emotional interview with Mary, aired live during the fundraising show Saturday evening.
Here from inside Ethiopia.
Dybt berrt Mary i indsamlingsshow - TV 2 Nyhederne

This is what Mary said during the live interview. I've decided to post this seperately, partly because I think it's important, and in particular because it's important in the eyes of Mary.
Notice by the way that she smiled faintly during the early clips. As I see it, it's a mental shield. If she didn't smile, she would cry.

Q: Your Royal Highness what impression did you get from being in the Dadaab refugee camp?
M: "It gave me a much better understanding for the terrible humanitarian disaster taking place at the Horn of Africa. And standing in the world's largest refugee camp, to where 1.500 refugees arrive a day, (*) was a tough and unreal experience. But it was obvious to me that aide is getting through and that the humanitarion organisations working there, make a big difference. Our help is... it saves lives. And you cannot help thinking that those who made it there are the lucky ones".

Q: One can tell from the pictures, Your Royal Highness, that it moves you a lot. Your are seen holding the hands of little children. You yourself have four children, how does it affect you to sit with these little suffering children?
M: "Before the journey I thought a lot how it would be to stand with very malnutritioned children, without the filter that we have at home. And with filter I mean, what we see on the news, in the papers and on the net. It's terrible to see these pictures, but it's even more terrible to be with those people who are affected. Eeh... as a mother, father, young woman or old man it affects all of us deeply. But I wasn't thinking about my children when I was there, because it was those I was with at that time that mattered".

Q: As a member of DRF, you get a lot of offers from charity organisations to help, what made the Crown Princess decide to go to east Africa right now?
M: "Because it's important, it's important that we maintain focus on the humanitarian disaster, that we continue to help and that we dedicate ourselves. Not just now, by buying supplies, but also on a long term basis. Also on a long term basis, because only then can we help the peoples to be more prepared against such a disaster (**) happening again and again".

Q: Finally I would like to know how you look at the difference between the condition where your are, with plight, suffering, hunger and death and how we are here at home?
M: "It's indescribable. You cannot compare that in any way".

Q: Thank you for taking part here tonight from east Africa, Your Royal Highness, Crown Princess Mary.

(*) They are litterally pouring across the border from Somalia, in particularly from the area controlled by the extremist Islamic government, which refuse to allow relief organisations access. They cannot go to Ethiopia, because that area is desert.
And you know the really horrible thing? In about three years time they'll starve again. The distaster is ecological, as well as climatic but first and foremost it's caused by humans.
It doesn't help that the local rulers believe that cannons and tanks are much better than schools, infrastructure and new acricultural methods.

(**) I'm making what she said more clear, as Mary is obviously tired and affected and that means her accent is very distinct indeed and she makes basic grammatical mistakes.

- From a personal point of view, this also means something special to me. I was a UN peacekeeper in the mid 90's and as a medic I sometimes went to interrim refugee camps, because there were hardly any local doctors or nurses left, they had either fled or been conscripted to the armies.
Some of the things there affect me to this day and Mary will have flashbacks too. I'm actually a little concerned for her, because in contrast to us and present day relief workes she's hardly prepared. She will hardly know how to deal with her reactions. She will have problems with some of her reactions. I doubt she has been told that abnormal reactions are actually normal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Muhler, your translations are much appreciated.

Mary is one gutsy and brave lady, there is not many that would put their hand up to make this trip.

Muhler, Can you please let us know if the the appeal was as successful as they wished.

Thanks Muhler, your translations are much appreciated.

Mary is one gutsy and brave lady, there is not many that would put their hand up to make this trip.

Muhler, Can you please let us know if the the appeal was as successful as they wished.
You are welcome.

Actually I didn't watch the show.
110 million DKK were raised and I don't know how much the organisers hoped for, but the two main hosts (seen in the interview) promised to jump in the harbour if the amount exceeded 50 and 60 million DKK respectively. They did. - So I guess the final result was pretty satisfactory.

thanks Muhler for your translations.
I agree with you tht Mary might react in quite a strongly emotive way, especially gven that she is a mother herself and that she will feel all the more so the sharp contast between the refugees babies' condition and her own children.
I do hope the DF greymen will help her to cope in the right way.

Thanks Muhler for your reply.
Any amount of money raised is a success especially when help is so badly needed.
BT has another article and I think it reads that after Mary's segement was on, the amount increased.
Muhler, if possible could you please tell if this is what the article said. Thanks.

Thanks Muhler for your reply.
Any amount of money raised is a success especially when help is so badly needed.
BT has another article and I think it reads that after Mary's segement was on, the amount increased.
Muhler, if possible could you please tell if this is what the article said. Thanks.

This one? Begejstret Pind: Mary er en stjerne! - Royale - BT.dk

Yes, according to the article the organisers had expected 50 million DKK and hoped for 70 million DKK.
After Mary had been on air additional 40 million DKK were raised. The total reached 110 million DKK. - So yes, she had an effect.
(5 DKK = 1 $, 7.6 DKK = 1 €).

The interview took place at Hotel Sheraton Adis (in Ethiopia) and Mary was very nervous before going live for the interview.
The Minister for Development, Søren Pind, said afterwards: "My, she's good. She's a star"!

The visit continues today and Mary and the delegation will visit acricultural projects in villages. - That can be something as simple, but still crucial, like a windmill powered waterpump, a windmill to power the village TV set or a toilet with proper sanitation. - Simple technology the villagers can maintain themselves.

Mary and the delegation will return home tonight.

(Søren Pind is one of the few politicians I like. He is unorthodoks and a bit of a maverick. Half the time I roll my eyes way back in the head, when he says something, the rest of the time he makes a lot of sense. He is pragmatic and often say things as they are like or not. Like: Sure, he is going to use all the fringe benefits he can get his hands on as a politician. Why not? Everybody else in his situation would. - That at least is honest, I think.
Or when he stated that a certain percentage of the money going to aide will never reached those in need. They will be lost to corruption. Accept it. That's the conditions the relief organisations have to work under.)

Last edited:
Many thanks Muhler, that is the one.

Mary's visit did exactly what was hoped for. This must have made those involved extremly happy. I am so pleased that this vist was much appreciated

Even though it was quite a short trip, it did seem quite effective and they did raise a good amount of money after Mary's interview.
I read somewhere that they will be visiting archeological site before their return to Denmark.

She's not actually in Somalia. She's in Ethiopia and Kenya ... she didn't go to Somalia - too dangerous!

Can I inspire a bit of positive rivalry? Australia has donated $200 million, as has Turkey... does anyone know how much the Government of Denmark has donated to Somalia?

Last edited:
She's not actually in Somalia. She's in Ethiopia and Kenya ... she didn't go to Somalia - too dangerous!

Can I inspire a bit of positive rivalry? Australia has donated $200 million, as has Turkey... does anyone know how much the Government of Denmark has donated to Somalia?

Yes :flowers:

Så er Danmark oppe på en kvart milliard til ofrene på Afrikas Horn | U-landsnyt.dk

250 DKK = $50 million = $8,9 pr. person i Denmark comparede to $ 8,7 pr. person i Australian and $2,7 pr. person i Turkey.

Anyway Mary is a great Crown Princess :flowers:

Last edited:
Mary's appearance on the telethon was held till the third hour of the broadcast. After her interview 40 million more kroner was donated. That's quite an effect.

Mary may have been tired and affected by the day's experiences, but her demeanor during the interview was calm and her remarks were too cogent and collected to be spoken by someone who was nervous. If anything, what she displayed at the beginning of the interview was anticipation of her cue and adjusting to the obvious delay in the transmission between Denmark and Ethiopia.

Thank you again for the translations, Muhler. Mary comes across as a very compassionate, genuine and determined individual, just the kind that is needed to work with such a cause. I'm glad that she'll be able to help. Her efforts will undoubtably be appreciated.

Few pictures from Mary's last day in Africa
www.sn.dk/ gallery

Mary looks like she had a day to interact with the people which is really nice to see.

I see you gallery, Dazzling :flowers:

And raise you a clip from BT, where Mary, obviously rested, is talking about her experiences in Ethiopia. - We are listening to the "normal" Mary, where her accent is much less distinct and where she is speaking a much more correct Danish.
- BT TV - BT.dk

And I add a review from BT's royal reporter, of how she viewed Mary's performance at the fundraiser yesterday. Mary is praised to the sky!
I fact I'm in complete agreement with what the journalist is saying:
Bevæget Mary var klar i mælet - Royale - BT.dk

Unfortunately I'm a little too preoccupied right now to write a summary or translate the interview.

- I wonder if there is an international rule saying that security police officers must dress as neatly as possible?
Notice the two local gentlemen standing close to Mary in the pics from Ethiopia, pretending not to be there. Just like the PET officers at home, they are the most well dressed gentlemen present. :lol:
In contrast to the casually dressed FET agents. (I guess appearance is less important to special forces).

Last edited:
Mary's trip was featured in a short clip here in Australia on 7 Sunrise (morning news) so it shows the power of Mary going over say Frederik or Joachim.
Even though the drought and the horrible consequences are known here in Australia and across the world, Mary being there gives it at least a bit more prominent airtime than it would otherwise get. So good on her for raising the issue on an international stage. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom