Crown Princess Mary's 50th birthday: February 5, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany
Crown Princess Mary will turn 50 on February 5, 2022.

The Palace has created an extra section on the official website for everything related to her round birthday,
including the official birthday logo, and has already announced a number of upcoming celebratory events.

** kongehuset: H.K.H. Kronprinsessens 50-års fødselsdag **

The programme so far:

On Thursday 27 January, the Mary Foundation invites partners and networks to a celebration of the round birthday and the Crown Princess' efforts as chairwoman of the Mary Foundation. (..)

Her Royal Highness will participate on Monday 31 January in the opening of the exhibition ‘Mary and the Crown Princesses’ at Koldinghus in Kolding. The exhibition draws a portrait of the Crown Princess and the Crown Princess' predecessors in the history of the Glücksborg family and focuses on the task and opportunities that lie in being a Crown Princess.

(..)
At the National History Museum at Frederiksborg Castle, the Crown Princess will be present on Thursday 3 February at the opening of the exhibition ‘H.K.H. Crown Princess Mary 1972 - 2022 ’, which tells about the Crown Princess' personal history and significance for the Danish royal family and the Commonwealth through pictures, portraits, costumes and personal objects. In connection with the opening of the exhibition, a new portrait of Her Royal Highness will be unveiled.

(..)
On Friday 4 February, guests will gather at Rosenborg Castle for a gala dinner on the occasion of the Crown Princess' birthday. (..)

Other events related to the 50th birthday will be announced later

Very exciting! I am glad there will be some celebrations and exhibitions.

Very exciting! Glad the Crown Princess is getting the full celebration for her 50th birthday.

January and February will be very busy months in Denmark with the New Years Courts, Golden Jubilee and these events.

I’m a little surprised, though pleasantly, that they’re having another gala dinner less than three weeks after the Golden Jubilee gala. I have to imagine many royals won’t be making two trips to Copenhagen in such a short time span, so it will be interesting to see who all attends Mary’s birthday. Maybe just the fellow Scandinavians and the Greeks? Or perhaps the Golden Jubilee will be the smaller guest list. We’ll see!

Last edited:
Very exciting! I am glad there will be some celebrations and exhibitions.

I am very surprised tbh....although pleasantly so. I am so glad that she is being celebrated not only for her 50th, but for her work as Crown Princess. She has been Crown Princess going on almost 20 years now and she has been a beyond stellar representative of the Royal Family and Denmark. She has championed many important, relevant and current issues plus has begun programs through the Mary Foundation that have affected 1000s of kids not only in Denmark but beyond. She has, IMO, evolved the role of Crown Princess in Denmark. Plus, she has been a steadfast and equal partner to Frederik. She is very deserving of such celebrations.

I expected some sort of official celebration of Mary and I'm delighted to see that she is getting celebrated big!

She deserves it.

I expected some sort of official celebration of Mary and I'm delighted to see that she is getting celebrated big!

She deserves it.

I totally agree! I was surprised to see that the banquet is being held at Rosenborg Castle. That is not the norm. Curious as to why Rosenborg was chosen. I've seen photos/videos and the castle is absolutely beautiful IMO, but would they have it in the Knight's Hall?

(Also, I do hope that some of her family can attend some of the festivities and there are no bans on travel by that time.)

Indeed.

That's gonna be a treat worth waiting for!
It's rare we see the inside of Rosenborg being used.

I totally agree! I was surprised to see that the banquet is being held at Rosenborg Castle. That is not the norm. Curious as to why Rosenborg was chosen. I've seen photos/videos and the castle is absolutely beautiful IMO, but would they have it in the Knight's Hall?

(Also, I do hope that some of her family can attend some of the festivities and there are no bans on travel by that time.)

As far as i remember from my Visit this is the only room there who is big enough to have a Dinner with several people.

But it is really an interesting choice.

Last edited:
Do you think there will be a book for Mary, as there was a book for Frederik? To celebrate her 50th? I know “Under the Beam” by Jens Andersen (I think that is author) came out for Fred’s 50th.

It’s been a little while since I’ve been on this forum. I live in the States, but the DRF has been of great interest to me.

Hopefully we will will get a beautiful speech from Frederik just like Mary did on his birthday!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think there will be a book for Mary, as there was a book for Frederik? To celebrate her 50th? I know “Under the Beam” by Jens Andersen (I think that is author) came out for Fred’s 50th.

I think it is more than likely there will be several books about Mary.

Whether there will be one like the two portrait books of Frederik, where he and people close to him talked about his life, we can only hope for.

But as both QMII and Frederik have appeared in several "interview-style" portrait books I'd say there is a good chance Mary will do something similar.

Probably to be published around 1st February in order not to conflict with QMII's jubilee.

As far as i remeber from my Visit this is the only room there who is big enough to have a Dinner with several people.

But it is really an interesting choice.

I wonder what the thought process was in choosing Rosenborg for the banquet.

Wonderful and a very well deserved celebration for the Crown Princess.

Another Danish Celebration in 2022!

Seems both the British & Danish royals will be celebrating Jubilees & milestone birthdays in 2022!
Here for the fashion!??

The Palace announced today that Crown Princess Mary will - as part of her birthday celebrations - open a new center at the University of Copenhagen on February 2 that will be named "Crown Princess Mary Centre - solving problems through research and partnerships".

The new center aims to build an interdisciplinary knowledge environment, which focuses on finding new solutions to current societal challenges with people at the center. Her Royal Highness will - in addition to adding a name to the center - be attached to the center's "Advisory Committee", which has an advisory function in relation to the center's task solution.

In connection with the announcement of the center's opening, the Crown Princess states: “Denmark has a strong tradition of creating change through broad partnerships. And here research is an important player. I look forward to using the new center to make researchers' insights and methods available to decision-makers and to contribute knowledge that inspires innovative solutions for the benefit of us humans and our society".

** kongehuset: Abning af nyt videnscenter i anledning af H.K.H. Kronprinsessens 50 års fødselsdag **

Crown Princess Mary will turn 50 on February 5, 2022.

The Palace has created an extra section on the official website for everything related to her round birthday,
including the official birthday logo, and has already announced a number of upcoming celebratory events.

** kongehuset: H.K.H. Kronprinsessens 50-års fødselsdag **

The programme so far:

I hope the celebrations are not too badly impacted by COVID.

The Palace announced today that Crown Princess Mary will - as part of her birthday celebrations - open a new center at the University of Copenhagen on February 2 that will be named "Crown Princess Mary Centre - solving problems through research and partnerships".

** kongehuset: Abning af nyt videnscenter i anledning af H.K.H. Kronprinsessens 50 års fødselsdag **

So far, it sounds rather vague: it's interdisciplinary and will focus on 'new solutions' for 'current societal changes'; that could mean almost anything...

It sounds to me like a Center for Inventing New Words and Terms for Things We Already Have Words and Terms for.

- I hope I'm wrong.

It sounds to me like a Center for Inventing New Words and Terms for Things We Already Have Words and Terms for.

- I hope I'm wrong.

If I may interject here. This is actually right up Mary's alley and what she would have been part of during her days in marketing and what she has spoken about at length when discussing the issues she champions.

It is in plain terms a research center that provides an environment for different people/entities from (hence interdisciplinary) business, culture/art, finance, law, companies involved in green technology (just to name a few) can look at and study an existing problem from different view points. It is not about giving something just a new name, it is about actually looking at an existing issue, seeing what has worked and what has not worked and why and then taking that knowledge and using it to come up with a more effective/efficient/maybe even modern solution. Then going to the proper departments, entities, businesses, etc to get their buy-in, support and tools to work to implement those changes. That is also where Mary comes in as she is the one with the "name" and muscle to open the necessary doors, etc. She can bring attention to the work the Center is doing and the findings of their research/work. This Center, with Mary's name behind it, can result in doing a lot of good in many areas IMO.

After all that: Let's take this issue, look at what has/hasn't worked for every angle and thought process, then take the latest tools at our disposal from various avenues and look at solutions via new research, technology, advancements and experience and find a new modern solution.

But it really isn't vague or just moving terms around. This is part of what my Masters Degree is in. Solutions through innovation.

A little more information: https://marycenter.ku.dk/
Even more information posted on the page for the Department of Social Sciences: https://samf.ku.dk/nyheder/2021/ku-...l-hkh-kronprinsesse-marys-50-aarsfoedselsdag/

Links to the Departments comprising the center:
Social Sciences: https://socialsciences.ku.dk/
Humanities: https://humanities.ku.dk/
Law: https://jura.ku.dk/english/
Theology: https://teol.ku.dk/english/

Last edited:
When I saw the name of this thread I was kind of taken aback for a minute. It’s hard to believe Mary is turning 50! Time has gone by incredibly fast.

I’m glad they’re doing a big celebration for this milestone birthday. Mary has been a big asset to the DRF; to me she’s the strongest married-in Crown Princess of that generation, and has been from the start. She’s brought out the best in Frederik, too

Will all of Crown Princess Mary's relatives from Australia be in Denmark for Mary's birthday?

They usually are. But who knows with Covid restrictions...

To be expected. The prognosis say that the Corona cases will really hit hard at the end of January.

Why just cancelled.....why could it not at least be postponed until sometime in May around her wedding anniversary? I feel for Mary....

Last edited:
Why just cancelled.....why could it not at least he postponed until sometime in May around her wedding anniversary? I feel for Mary....

That's what i think too, but then it was the same for HM's 80th birthday celebrations in April 2020.

That's what i think too, but then it was the same for HM's 80th birthday celebrations in April 2020.

Difference being that this was the first time that Mary would have been celebrated in this way, which is well-deserved and long overdue to be acknowledged not only for her birthday (and a momentous one at that), but for what she has done in her almost 20 years as Crown Princess.

Back
Top Bottom