Crown Princess Mary's 50th birthday: February 5, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cancelled is not the same thing as it will never take place. IMO this just means there are no immediate plans for a new gala dinner for Mary.
However, there may very well be one later but perhaps in a different setting and with different guests.

As some of you have already pointed out a gala dinner in early February would be unlikely to attract many of the royal guests M&F have as friends. But later on is a different matter. Also, Mary's family.
Australia has just about begun to open up and it was an open question whether her family could attend. But in six months things will hopefully look a lot better.

So in six months or next year we may see a lot bigger celebration of Mary, with many more guests and a lot more bling-bling because quite a few may be foreign royals.

Its a shame but not unexpected given the public health guidelines.

The keyword for me is cancelled, as opposed to postponed. Same wording as when QMII's 80th birthday was cancelled. If they were indeed planning to go through with the actual gala at a later date, why not just write that as they did with the jubilee postponement?

They probably will throw a big bash during the summer and international royals will likely attend. But unfortunately I'm fairly certain it won't be an official celebration – not held at Rosenborg and not hosted by the Queen but probably rather a private party at Fredensborg.

Really gutted about it, Mary deserved this celebration, but unsurprised considering how they dealt with QMII's 80th.

The keyword for me is cancelled, as opposed to postponed. Same wording as when QMII's 80th birthday was cancelled. If they were indeed planning to go through with the actual gala at a later date, why not just write that as they did with the jubilee postponement?

They probably will throw a big bash during the summer and international royals will likely attend. But unfortunately I'm fairly certain it won't be an official celebration – not held at Rosenborg and not hosted by the Queen but probably rather a private party at Fredensborg.

Really gutted about it, Mary deserved this celebration, but unsurprised considering how they dealt with QMII's 80th.

Mary for sure deserved it....to be finally officially celebrated. I saw it more than just a gala for her 50th but as an overdue and well-deserved and well-earned public acknowledgement of all she's accomplished as crown princess for the DRF, the monarchy and Denmark. The press release could have said celebrations will be held later this year if that were to be the case. But I guess I should not be surprised it didn't. At least I believe the Mary Foundation reception is only postponed.

Cancelled is not the same thing as it will never take place. IMO this just means there are no immediate plans for a new gala dinner for Mary.
However, there may very well be one later but perhaps in a different setting and with different guests.

As some of you have already pointed out a gala dinner in early February would be unlikely to attract many of the royal guests M&F have as friends. But later on is a different matter. Also, Mary's family.
Australia has just about begun to open up and it was an open question whether her family could attend. But in six months things will hopefully look a lot better.

So in six months or next year we may see a lot bigger celebration of Mary, with many more guests and a lot more bling-bling because quite a few may be foreign royals.

As someone who lives in Australia, can confirm we are not doing so good either:sad:

Theoretically we can travel overseas now, but there are sure some requirements still in place both at departure and arrival (which can also change at any time). Also a long flight could be risky environment unless you are travelling by private jet...

Last edited:

That is what i have understand but the question for me is why it was decided to cancel it altogether instead of postponing if there are plans to have a celebration later, which was not the case for HM's 80th birthday celebrations.

Its a shame but not unexpected given the public health guidelines.

My thoughts exactly. Very disappointing, but in reality I am suffering from Bling withdrawal symptoms. It was bad enough missing out on the New Years Courts which I look forward to every year. Now this.

Looking forward to a return to near normal hopefully by the end of the year.

Queen Máxima's 50th birthday was also postponed but now she is going to her 51 years I can not see any re-organized 50th birthday celebration, that would be ridiculous. So a postponement can result in an annulation as the delay grows. So I hope for Princess Mary she can organize her 50th birthday relatively soon.

Queen Máxima's 50th birthday was also postponed but now she is going to her 51 years I can not see any re-organized 50th birthday celebration, that would be ridiculous. So a postponement can result in an annulation as the delay grows. So I hope for Princess Mary she can organize her 50th birthday relatively soon.

Shouldn't it be 'Crown Princess Mary, Countess of Monpezat' ?;)

It's very unpleasant and I do hope they'll get to reschedule it, instead of just omitting it. But I can see their reasoning ,especially now when I'm sitting in my home, all plans postponed because I spent the New Year celebrations with my sister in-law, now sick with you know what after two doses of vaccine and a not too easy covid itself last year. (Two doses and a booster myself but you never know.)

I actually see it as more grating than HM's celebrations that never were because unlike those who were born into royalty, CP Mary has had fewer occasions for such celebrations. But I admit I'm not objective. I love HM but Mary has been a pet royal of mine since the times of Mary against Mary's Hats. Remember this war? It was very endearing.

Most people in the world (even presidents of republics and first ladies) don't get official gala dinners on their 50th birthday. Maxima is a queen consort; Mary is a crown princess and future queen consort. They already live privileged lives and are officially "celebrated" on a regular basis by receiving military honors, precedence, personal standards, orders, maybe flag days, and so on. To be honest, I don't think missing a birthday gala dinner is a big tragedy for them. They can still celebrate that special day privately with their families, who are those that should count the most.

Besides, as public figures with an official state role, they have to be in touch with the times. Not only is it unsafe to have a crowded birthday party with a rapidly spreading and deadly virus in circulation, but also it would probably enrage many people to see the royals have a lavish dinner covered in glittering diamonds when many ordinary people are going through hard times and missing out even on simple things they used to do such as traveling or just visiting friends and relatives. And, in any case, the Royal Family cannot be seen to be in violation of official health/ sanitary regulations, see e.g. what happened recently to the Dutch RF with their trip to Greece and Princess Amailia's party at Huis Ten Bosch.

So, it is obviously disappointing for the Crown Princess and perhaps even more so for royal watchers who like the see the royals' latest fashion and their beautiful jewelry, but I personally wouldn't give this cancellation too much weight.

Well, if Mary's birthday is completely off the table in regards to a major celebration I'd still advise our jewellery experts to keep a close eye on her at whatever celebrations there will be for QMII.
I should be very much mistaken if QMII doesn't present her with some major bling bling.

And there is also a more than real possibility that she will get pretty piece of bling from Frederik as well.

Well, if Mary's birthday is completely off the table in regards to a major celebration I'd still advise our jewellery experts to keep a close eye on her at whatever celebrations there will be for QMII.
I should be very much mistaken if QMII doesn't present her with some major bling bling.

And there is also a more than real possibility that she will get pretty piece of bling from Frederik as well.

I am hoping that Thyra's sapphire and diamond tiara, last used by Princess Elisabeth, will next be seen on Mary.

I am hoping that Thyra's sapphire and diamond tiara, last used by Princess Elisabeth, will next be seen on Mary.
Do we know who owns this tiara now, if I may ask? I don't seem to recall any information on this...:ermm:

I do hope you are right. Her Majesty has the diamond necklace from the Saudi's that she hardly ever wears and I would love to see that piece redesigned and given to Mary. And your wonderful talented Queen is very good at that sort thing.

It is possible since Princess Elisabeth didn't have any children, but it would be more natural to leave her jewelry to her brother or to her nieces (Count Christian's daughters).

Do we know who owns this tiara now, if I may ask? I don't seem to recall any information on this...:ermm:

My understanding is that it belonged to Hereditary Princess Caroline-Mathilde, who got it in turn from her aunt Princess Thyra, and was then inherited by Caroline-Mathilde's daughter, Princess Elisabeth. So I assume Princess Elisabeth owned it privately.

Last edited:
Their mother's Russian sapphire tiara has been auctioned by the Rosenborg countesses. Princess Elisabeth's two tiaras haven't been seen in a public auction. That is all that is publicly known.

There could have bee a private sale, or the Rosenborg's could have decided to keep Princess Elisabeth's tiaras for their own use. A grand jubilee gala might have told us more about this matter, as the Rosenborg ladies probably would have been invited. Alas, that was not to be. We have to wait and see.

It is possible since Princess Elisabeth didn't have any children, but it would be more natural to leave her jewelry to her brother or to her nieces (Count Christian's daughters).

My understanding is that it belonged to Hereditary Princess Caroline-Mathilde, who got it in turn from her aunt Princess Thyra, and was then inherited by Caroline-Mathilde's daughter, Princess Elisabeth. So I assume Princess Elisabeth owned it privately.

Yes it was privately owned by Princess Elisabeth which is actually the case for most of the danish tiaras and other Jewels.

Does anyone know if there's going to be a stamp issued to mark Mary's 50th birthday?

Last edited:
Vogue Scandinavia website has posted an article about the photobook re CP Mary in honor of her 50th Birthday.
https://www.voguescandinavia.com/ar...rincess-marys-50th-birthday-is-being-released

There is also a photo included in the article which shows the back cover of the book with a new photo, which is stunnng!
https://images.vs-static.com/VEAFbC..._211fb78efa/MARY_H_K_H_Cover_3_211fb78efa.jpg

This IG story is from someone that met with one of the photographers today and posted a quick glimpse of the forward and index
https://instagram.com/stories/frann...ce=ig_story_item_share&utm_medium=share_sheet

The IG Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/CY4cVltLWZz/

The quick glimpse of the index showed the following:

Forord - (Foreword/preface)

Familie - (Family)

Danskernes Represaesentant - (Representative of the Danes)

Bryllup - (Wedding)

Maerkesager - (Google translate REALLY failed me here)

Natur og Bevaegelse - (Google translate failed me here)

Portraetter - (Portraits)

Last edited:
BB has posted an article about the photo book
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ronprinsprinsessen-fantastisk-fejring-af-mary

Wonderful to finally be getting more information on Mary's events. Very much looking forward to seeing it all the week of January 31st.

Instagram post by Koldinghus about Maty's visit today.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CY9UeSFq...5-6a243fb5ba6b

She looks wonderful!

Description of the Exhibition at Koldinghus...it sounds amazing!!
https://www.kongernessamling.dk/koldinghus/mary-kronprinsesserne/

Adding:

Press Release regarding Copenhagen Zoo event on the 2nd of February
https://www.zoo.dk/s/nyheder/kronprinsessen-fejrer-foedselsdag-i-zoo?language=da

Instagram Post regarding information on the February 3rd event opening the Mary Exhibition at Frederiksborg, including the portrait unveiling. - https://www.instagram.com/p/CY8pOmssxb0/

BB Articles about Mary's events
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...nd-med-gode-nyheder-saadan-bliver-mary-fejret

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...a-festlig-dag-saadan-fejrer-frederik-sin-mary

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...mary-paa-lynvisit-til-specielt-sted-i-jylland

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...se-mary-fremviser-private-ting-fra-barndommen

Instagram post from the artist that painted CP Mary's portrait:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CY9ka79qHe8/

Last edited:
Indeed we are getting more information and updates to the calendar.

January 31
HRH The Crown Princess is responsible for opening the special exhibition "Mary & the Crown Princesses" on the occasion of the Crown Princess' 50th birthday. HRH The Crown Prince and HRH Princess Benedikte participate. Koldinghus, Kolding, at 11.00.

February 2
HRH The Crown Princess pays a visit to the Copenhagen Zoo and makes the first sod for "Mary's Australian Garden". Zoo, Roskildevej 32, Frederiksberg, at 10.00.
HRH The Crown Princess is in charge of opening the Crown Princess Mary Center. University of Copenhagen, Søndre Campus, Emil Holms Kanal 4, Copenhagen, at 15.00

February 3
HRH The Crown Princess is responsible for opening the special exhibition "HRH Crown Princess Mary 1972 - 2022" on the occasion of the Crown Princess' 50th birthday. HRH The Crown Prince participates. The National History Museum at Frederiksborg Castle, Hillerød, at 14.00.

Nice seeing Frederik and Benedikte participates in some of the events.

Koldinghus is only two hours drive away and always worth a visit, we may go there.
https://www.realdaniabyogbygklubben.dk/media/0jcob5zq/dennis-borup-koldinghus-oppefra_.jpg
https://www.kongernessamling.dk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/kh.jpg
https://www.visitkolding.dk/sites/visit-kolding.com/files/2019-08/Koldinghussetoppefra.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/Kolding_-_Koldinghus3.JPG

The style of the castle is typical for the Baltic/Northern European brick castles of the 12-1400s.
A simple layout with a courtyard surrounded by massive buildings and a large keep (the tower). No curtain wall and no crenelations on the walls or on the top of buildings. Except for the top of the keep. Instead there was a sentry-walk on the top floor right beneath the roof.
The reason was simple, the sentries were protected against the elements, and to a large extant also the cold and they would remain unseen by enemies watching the castle. It also meant that it was very difficult to estimate the size of the garrison and where the defenders were positioned.

The windows are modern. Originally brick castles were very forbidding to look at, there were only shooting slits for crossbows. Crossbows was the main shooting weapon in this part of Europe, rather than bows. Bows were for hunting and required way too much time to become proficient, while a crossbow, even the large military ones, could be used by any average person, even women and adolescents - and you could take as long as you needed to wait and aim a crossbow.
But back to windows. Windows faced towards the courtyard and many castles had elaborate galleries facing the courtyard it was in the courtyard that things happened. - Outside the castle, well, that's just trees, and fields and a fjord and the town. Pretty uninteresting at the time.

The gate or rather gateway is placed opposite the keep and that pretty much the only way to get in, because trying to scale the castle elsewhere only meant that an attacker ended up on a slanting roof at the mercy of the crossbowmen in the keep. And if you managed to get through the gate, the defenders would retreat to the keep and keep fighting from there.
So brick castles are deceptively simple but very efficient fortifications.

If you look at the airphoto, you will notice a number of towers inside the courtyard, that's stair-towers. The only stairs at all inside such a castle, stairs being a weakness. So the turn of the stairs were designed to make it difficult for the attackers to use their weapons on the way up, while the defenders had much more room to use theirs.
And the air-photo you will in the lower left corner see a bit of masonry protruding, that's one of the privies.

A castle like this could be held and was held by an astonishingly small garrison. 15-20 men-at-arms would be sufficient to withstand anything but the most overwhelming attacks.

Kolding is a charming medieval town, with lots of small houses and narrow winding streets. Being located at the bottom of a fjord-valley it's actually quite easy to lose your orientation and get lost in the streets, because you can't see very far and the closeness of the buildings blocks any high reference points.

Last edited:
Indeed we are getting more information and updates to the calendar.

January 31
HRH The Crown Princess is responsible for opening the special exhibition "Mary & the Crown Princesses" on the occasion of the Crown Princess' 50th birthday. HRH The Crown Prince and HRH Princess Benedikte participate. Koldinghus, Kolding, at 11.00.

February 2
HRH The Crown Princess pays a visit to the Copenhagen Zoo and makes the first sod for "Mary's Australian Garden". Zoo, Roskildevej 32, Frederiksberg, at 10.00.
HRH The Crown Princess is in charge of opening the Crown Princess Mary Center. University of Copenhagen, Søndre Campus, Emil Holms Kanal 4, Copenhagen, at 15.00

February 3
HRH The Crown Princess is responsible for opening the special exhibition "HRH Crown Princess Mary 1972 - 2022" on the occasion of the Crown Princess' 50th birthday. HRH The Crown Prince participates. The National History Museum at Frederiksborg Castle, Hillerød, at 14.00.

Nice seeing Frederik and Benedikte participates in some of the events.

Here is the post by the artist that painted CP Mary's portrait. He is from Spain.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CY9ka79qHe8/

On February 6th Mary is getting a televised celebration for her 50th Birthday!

Here is the BB article: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...lt-show-saadan-fejres-mary-foran-hele-danmark

Per Google Translate:
Crown Princess Mary can rejoice
The TV 2 show "Mary 50 years - we celebrate Denmark's Crown Princess" can be seen on TV 2 PLAY and TV 2, and it will be a colorful celebration that focuses on everything Mary really loves

The hosts of the big night are Lise Rønne and Dar Salim, and they are both happy to pay tribute to Crown Princess Mary.

It all takes place directly from vilhelm Lauritzen Terminalen in Copenhagen on Sunday 6 February at 20:00 - with prelude to the show from 19:25.

What a pleasant (and shocking) surprise that she is getting something like this!

Yes, but most unfortunately TV2 can't be seen outside DK.

Anyway, the cynic in me is pretty certain the show will be gushing over Mary. That is a lot of people will be seen - that's very much the idea - talking about and praising Mary, or singing to her.
It's basically just a show with the theme being Mary.

Not much substance, I predict.
And I also predict it will be over the top.

I'd rather watch a documentary about Mary instead. So I wonder what DR1 will do, that channel you can watch outside DK.

Yes, but most unfortunately TV2 can't be seen outside DK.

Anyway, the cynic in me is pretty certain the show will be gushing over Mary. That is a lot of people will be seen - that's very much the idea - talking about and praising Mary, or singing to her.
It's basically just a show with the theme being Mary.

Not much substance, I predict.
And I also predict it will be over the top.

I'd rather watch a documentary about Mary instead. So I wonder what DR1 will do, that channel you can watch outside DK.

I will take the gushing. She deserves it. It's her turn to be lavished with ott praise. I am still pleasantly surprised she is getting anything like this tbh. Isn't that what other birthday shows have been for other members of the family, gushing and singing?

Maybe her gala would have given more substance, but alas that was just outright cancelled.

Hopefully there will be a documentary as well. She deserves that too.

Glad to be hearing more and more about the events for her birthday.

Back
Top Bottom