Crown Princess Mary's 50th birthday: February 5, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So they will be present? That changes everything.

I would really like the children to tell anecdotes about their mother. Especially Vincent. He tells the naked truth. :D

The Crown Prince family will join Mary on the 6th
https://www.kongehuset.dk/kalender/...dagsshow-”mary-50-–-vi-fejrer-kronprinsessen”

Looking forward to the family together, hopefully little interviews with the kids like we got for Frederik's 50th.

My hope is that the speech that Frederik would have most likely have given at the gala will happen at this event!

Will be lovely to see the whole family together. Anyone hoping Vincent is his usual blunt honest self..lol? Will Josephine break out some dance moves? All the while the older Christian and Isabella try to control their young siblings?

Last edited:
With her elbow? Isabella's method for sibling-control.

Anyway, this time I hope someone will actually record the show and post it on YouTube.

With her elbow? Isabella's method for sibling-control.

Anyway, this time I hope someone will actually record the show and post it on YouTube.

This article gives alot more information on the program airing February 6th.
https://herognu.dk/live-surpriceparty-paa-tv-for-mary/

In part:
In addition to specially invited guests this evening and festive surprises, there will also be plenty of music to look forward to for viewers, the birthday couple and her family. The music means something very special to both the Crown Princess and the Crown Prince, and this evening we will be able to see Oh Land, Mattias Kolstrup and the Royal Danish Academy of Music's Children's Choir on stage.

"It is a great honour to celebrate Crown Princess Mary's birthday on TV 2. For many years we have been lucky to follow the crown princess's work on trips to the world's hot spots, and now on Sunday 6 February we can tell about the big difference Crown Princess Mary makes to the people she meets on her way – both in Denmark and the rest of the world, says Jonatan Jerichow, Programme Director at STV Production.

The article also contains this:
As early as Monday 31 January, viewers can look forward to the TV 2 programme 'Mary – Crown Princess with heart', where the crown princess's life is portrayed through unique archive footage.

From Monday 31 January, GO' Morgen Danmark will also mark Crown Princess Mary's birthday with various features throughout the week, dealing with the Crown Princess. Follow TV 2 PLAY and TV 2.

TV2 Press Release: https://omtv2.tv2.dk/nyheder/2022/01/mary-50-aar-vi-fejrer-danmarks-kronprinsesse/

Page Re January 31st program: https://omtv2.tv2.dk/presse/programliste/mary-kronprinsesse-med-hjertet/

Last edited:
Yes, but most unfortunately TV2 can't be seen outside DK.

Anyway, the cynic in me is pretty certain the show will be gushing over Mary. That is a lot of people will be seen - that's very much the idea - talking about and praising Mary, or singing to her.
It's basically just a show with the theme being Mary.

Not much substance, I predict.
And I also predict it will be over the top.

I'd rather watch a documentary about Mary instead. So I wonder what DR1 will do, that channel you can watch outside DK.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kendte/...y-deler-private-minder-med-johannes-langkilde

On February 5th. DR will air an interview with Mary where she will talk about her life based on looking back at events via archival DR footage including her wedding.

In addition. Mary has done an exclusive interview with BB which will.be in the magazine next week.

Edited to add:

New article re the photo book

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ny-bog-fortaeller-aabent-om-sin-store-passion

The book tells, among other things, about the Crown Princess' great passion for nature.

- I love nature - it has always filled my life, says Mary in the book and adds that in her upbringing in Tasmania she experienced nature with vast expanses, the enormous power of the sea and almost empty natural areas.

The Crown Princess briefly touches on the fact that as a little girl she was out the door as soon as she could get to it.

Last edited:
Another BB article discussing the photo book. Here it references her wedding day

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...fik-et-rigtig-godt-raad-lige-foer-sit-bryllup

Adventurous day
- The day was very overwhelming. Adventurous, landmark and overwhelming. I had to say 'yes' both to the love of my life and to my new country. And not only in front of our families and friends but in front of the whole of Denmark, says Mary, who from the big day remembers what it was like to be carried up from the church floor to her beloved Frederik at the altar.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Mary has given a birthday interview to the Australian Women's Weekly magazine:

** Cover **

Crown Princess Mary has given a birthday interview to the Australian Women's Weekly magazine:

** Cover **

Interesting, the cover looks like the same outfit as the <Mary HKH> photobook.

I'll probably buy one when the magazine comes out:flowers:

Interesting, the cover looks like the same outfit as the <Mary HKH> photobook.

I'll probably buy one when the magazine comes out:flowers:

Here is the Instragram post from the magazine: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZLkcRuMoXf/

A couple of quotes:

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve had a strong sense of justice and belief in equal opportunities for all – no one should be limited by where they come from and who they are.”⁠

"The Crown Prince and I have different roles and competencies and we, like most couples, find a good ⁠
way to bring them together in a balanced way – we are good together. And together with our children, we make a strong team.”⁠

Last edited:
It does look like the same dress and photographer from the book
https://www.instagram.com/p/CZMGLcv...d&ig_rid=7ad7b51d-de1a-4c82-91ae-f8a52720a601
she looks beautiful.

And a big interview as well with Billed Bladet
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...enborg-historisk-interview-med-kronprinsessen

Yes, it does. That dress is stunning. Cannot wait to see a full length view of it.

And some great photos from the BB Article about their interview with Mary:

http://content.invisioncic.com/r388...0583.jpg.a268fb4cca7c21d575711f58e09c9294.jpg
http://content.invisioncic.com/r388...71-1.jpg.35081140aae0fa69a941c006dfcf724a.jpg
http://content.invisioncic.com/r388...5006.jpg.dd498831bb079d943c4dace9c81c24c8.jpg

Another BB article about their interview with CP Mary: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...-hilsen-fik-lagt-brudebuket-paa-sin-mors-grav

Here they mention her wedding day and missing her mother. And how her aunt took her bridal bouquet back to Scotland and laid it at her mother's grave.

Plus another great photo of Mary from the interview: http://content.invisioncic.com/r388...5608.jpg.21a88f3d917ed3cbd0e204f8bbe04986.jpg

Last edited:
That is such a good photo of Mary. The painting in the background just works so well

:previous:

It looks like every single weekly and monthly being published here in DK next week contains a major feature or interview with Mary!

Anyway, here are the scans of this weeks BB, with the very long interview with Mary.
Some lovely photos. Mary's in fine form!
I especially like the photo of her looking out the window.

https://app.box.com/s/sof6gmp6sjcy3wh5xhhrtqu8asq6qtcj

I will write a very brief summary tomorrow, because there really isn't that much new. But there are a number of details and trivia I think are worth mentioning in order to get to know Mary better.

In the meantime, if anyone should feel like having a go writing a summary or translating a few quotes, please do.

And as always, I don't have the copyright, so you are free to download and upload the scans from your own account elsewhere, just credit BB. But no hotlinking.

:previous:

It looks like every single weekly and monthly being published here in DK next week contains a major feature or interview with Mary!

Anyway, here are the scans of this weeks BB, with the very long interview with Mary.
Some lovely photos. Mary's in fine form!
I especially like the photo of her looking out the window.

https://app.box.com/s/sof6gmp6sjcy3wh5xhhrtqu8asq6qtcj

I will write a very brief summary tomorrow, because there really isn't that much new. But there are a number of details and trivia I think are worth mentioning in order to get to know Mary better.

In the meantime, if anyone should feel like having a go writing a summary or translating a few quotes, please do.

And as always, I don't have the copyright, so you are free to download and upload the scans from your own account elsewhere, just credit BB. But no hotlinking.

Love the all white outfit, simple yet sophisticated:flowers:

That is such a good photo of Mary. The painting in the background just works so well

I agree! I've always thought that some of the art choices at F&M's home are a bit... not easy to look at.

But this works surprisingly well as a background for magazine shoots!:lol: No photoshopping needed

Last edited by a moderator:
(..)

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #4, 2022.
Interviewers Ulrik Ulriksen and Marianne Singer.
(Remarks by me are in parenthesis.)

The interview took placer earlier this month in the Great Hall/Knights Hall M&F's mansion at Amalienborg.
After the initial photos, Mary served tea for her guests. Mary takes a little milk in her tea.

Mary doesn't feel 50, she hasn't thought much about turning 50. But she is happy in her life where she is. Each age has a charms and delights of their own.
She has mentally matured in the sense that small things don't really bother her anymore. She rests more within herself now.
She is now more certain of what she want's to and feel like spending time on than before.

Mary has always been physically active and she she still is. She has started strength training now in order to prevent the aches that typically comes with getting older. (If you are past 50 and it doesn't ache somewhere when you wake up, you're dead.) In the beginning of the pandemic she started riding again and that delights her a lot, but riding dressage in particular require considerable physical strength.

Recalling her wedding day she says that when walking up the aisle she really didn't think about it, she just took it all in and was happy she had her father by her side. It moves her seeing clips of that.
Despite the publicity in connection with their wedding, she and Frederik managed to make it their own shared experience: "... I said yes to the man I loved, and still love and want to spend the rest of my life with, but it was also a yes to a new country and to be Crown Princess for the Danes."
But her mother was not there on that day and yet.
A ring presented by her mother was sewn into her wedding dress and the psalm Eternal Father was played to remember Henrietta Donaldson. Her bridal bouquet was brought back to Scotland by Mary's moster, Catherine Murray, and placed on the grave of Henrietta Donaldson.
Frederik's speech at the wedding swept her off her feet.

Their honeymoon went to Africa out in the wild.

Q: What is it that You can do together as a couple?
"We've had four lovely children together" is the immediate reply.
"It just works well. First and foremost we are happy together. (She is using the word "lykkelig" which means blissful happiness.) We can be ourselves which is absolutely decisive. And then we have many of the same interests. We are curious and complement each other well because we are different. But that's the way we can come together, what makes us strong together. We both have a great mutual trust and allow each other space. We both believe that giving each other space, means that yo9u enrich each other. Because you also need to develop separately and that means you bring in more thing into a marriage. And then we are good at laughing together. That's an important thing to be able to do."
She sums up by saying that the "swing well together."

Frederik is very supportive, not only of her both others who among the near and dear. He feels as much joy by standing behind offering support as standing in the front.
Of course over time they have both had to smooth out some edges and learn to compromise and realize that you are not always right.

She doesn't think that much about the future, because it's important to be present now in order to be focused.
She and Frederik doesn't know when the change will take place. She will face that when it comes.
As a crown princess her role is to support QMII, the Crown Prince and the DRF.

There is no manual in how to become a crown princess, apart from a few traditions, obligations and expectations. She took her time finding her way, supported by her husband who gave her space, time and freedom to work it out.
By looking into herself and figuring out what really affected her emotionally she found out what she wanted to focus on: Injustice and social isolation. And on that basis the Mary Foundation was created. In that context she has in particular focused on the right of girls and women globally.
It does make a big impression on her when she visit countries and see the plight of women there, but she has learned not to see the women there as victims, they are vulnerable, but not victims to be pitied. And that's how they want to be seen themselves.
They want Mary to listen to them and try and understand them and tell their stories. They want her to put focus on injustice for women.
When she is traveling to volatile areas like the Sahel region she has faith in those who arrange the security and as such she doesn't feel afraid and nor does her children, partly of course because they don't understand the security situation.
(That was something Mary had to learn BTW. To entrust her safety in the hands of other. She experienced that early on in her marriage on a tour the Greenland aboard Dannebrog when the weather was rough. She couldn't do anything but entrusting hers - and Frederik's - safety in the hands of others.)

The environment and sustainable solutions is something M&F have begun to focus on a lot over the past years, both in presenting Danish solutions (and export in the field) abroad and in their daily lives.
She has as such set up a little wilderness in the garden at Kancellihuset at Fredensborg. And that's something she enjoys a lot. Often going out to see if there are more bees than previous.
(That is something garden owners are encouraged to do, because the insect population, not least the crucial bees, are at an all time low here in DK. So having a small undisturbed patch in your garden is good for the insects, which is good for the flowers and birds and so on.)

Mary has acted as Rigsforstander a couple of times, something that she is very proud and touched to have been appointed to. And she has indeed been briefed about bills that are to be presented for the Parliament in that capacity.

Mary first met QMII over a cup of tea in the summer of 2003.
"Right from our first meeting I think we got along well. Despite me being nervous it was very straightforward. I'm incredible fond of the Queen, my mother-in-law and we have a good and deep and trusting relationship today. She is very inspiring. She is a very diverse, talented and humorous person who is nice to be with and I admire her for the way she has led the DRF for the past 50 years."

The strength of hers and Frederik's family is love. "Love gives great happiness, but where there is love there is also vulnerability. Because life is fragile. Love enables you to be very strong but at the same time you lower your guards and open the arms. You are vulnerable because you risk losing - or because you intensely feel with the ones you love. You can sense it in your heart if they suffer or is fighting something. But it's also the same love that makes you strong and makes you ready grab hold of something or go out into the world and travel or whatever it may be. So there is a duality that comes with love."
That is also something she learned from losing her mother.

The day to day life with four children can be slightly chaotic.
There are plenty of things to look after with each of the children having different interests, sports they attend and friends, so logistically there is plenty to do.
When at all possible the family always gather at the breakfast table and the dinner table - and no phones!
But it's without Christian. It was hard for Mary that her son wanted to attend a boarding school but at the same time she was proud of his decision.
"When the decision was made I told myself that I shouldn't think about it until the day he was to start at the boarding school was approaching. Right up to his first day at school I began to notice that it was hard. But it is as it is with children. You only borrow them."
She is delighted for him, that he is independent, that is glad of attending the school. "But then there is the other side that is a little wound. It's been so fast and I'm going to miss him, so it was hard, but that's life. And when you have him at home, it's even more special."

The children look at the royal life they have and doesn't think it's odd, because they are born into that life. And when appropriate or educational or interesting they bring their children with them. Which gives them an idea of how it is to live a public life and being a part of a royal family.
Now that Christian and Isabella have become teens M&F are very much aware of fact that there can be camera everywhere. They will be allowed to learn and make mistakes as long as they learn from their mistakes.

John Donaldson turned 80 last year and in that context he was in DK, in fact he is more often in DK than the public know. Apart from that she and her family meet on Teams, or they facetime.

Q: If her mother was watching when Mary turns 50, what would she say?
(That's an Ulrik Ulriksen!)
She probably wouldn't say anything. Her warm smile would do all the talking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muhler...thank you so much for this summary! What a great read!! It truly provides insight into her life without being intrusive (if that makes sense). You can tell by her words what a formidable, supportive and strong team Mary and Frederik are and what a strong family unit they have built. And also about her feelings about her trips abroad, etc. Nice to know that her father visits more often than people are aware (which is a good thing). Just wonderful. Once again, thank you for the time you take to provide us with these summaries!!

Last edited:
I don't get the placement of her brooch...? The gown's gorgeous though, love how the pink pearl beads pick up the colour of the pinkish rubies.

I don't get the placement of her brooch...? The gown's gorgeous though, love how the pink pearl beads pick up the colour of the pinkish rubies.

Probably it was placed in the sash that it would get not entire lost in the pattern of her gown.

Probably it was placed in the sash that it would get not entire lost in the pattern of her gown.

I think Stephan is right, the brooch was probably placed on the sash to provide a clear background for the brooch to be visible.

I think that placing the pin directly on the dress may have ripped the dress. That pin is quite heavy while the fabric is quite delicate.

I think that placing the pin directly on the dress may have ripped the dress. That pin is quite heavy while the fabric is quite delicate.

These dresses are typically re-inforced wth backing material at key places for brooches, orders and the like to be attached without damaging the dress.

Back
Top Bottom