Crown Princess Mary visits Danish Troops in Afghanistan: November 29-30, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UserDane

Royal Highness
This morning, the TV2 online news and radio news reveal that Mary will today be back in Denmark after a secret two day visit to the Danish troops in Afghanistan - camps Bastian, Armadillo and Price together with, among others, the Danish minister of Defence.

It's great to see princess Mary involved in such an event! It must have been a huge experience for her!!

This morning, the TV2 online news and radio news reveal that Mary will today be back in Denmark after a secret two day visit to the Danish troops in Afghanistan - camps Bastian, Armadillo and Price together with, among others, the Danish minister of Defence.

Mary going to Afghanistan is impressive given she has no present or future role in the military as consort. Well done.
Kronprinsesse Mary besøger Afghanistan - dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland
Kronprinsesse Mary på lynvisit i Afghanistan - Avisen.dk

This is suprising news. It's great for her to visit them but I wouldve expected such a visit to come from frederik or Joachim and not Mary.
Do you know why she was choosen to go?

Well maybe Mary wans to visit the Trops as Lieutenant of the Danish Home Guard. Considering that she also training in the Army I dont see this visit so bad.

Another article;
Google Traductor

Article of the Danish Ministry of Defence
Google Traductor

The Crown Princess traveled to Afghanistan with the president of the Parliament,Thor Pedersen, and the minister of Defence.That visit took place from Sunday 29 to Monday 30, in Helmand province

Last edited:
This is suprising news. It's great for her to visit them but I wouldve expected such a visit to come from frederik or Joachim and not Mary.
Do you know why she was choosen to go?

Frederik visited the camps last year. Right now, the Danish involvement in the Helmand province is being debated; a few days ago the 29th Danish soldier was killed in Afghanistan - which is a pretty high number for a population of around 5m people. I would guess that a visit from the minister of defence and a royal is meant to show encouragement.
Mary's participation must be founded in her own wish to go IMO.

Well maybe Mary wans to visit the Trops as Lieutenant of the Danish Home Guard. Considering that she also training in the Army I dont see this visit so bad.
Exactly.

I think it's a great idea that she went since she has shown interest before in the army through her training. It's not as if she always stayed away from the topic and now this, all of a sudden.

Apart from that I think that this is a good distraction from the heir usually going, like Frederik did last year, since there is a lot of female staff in the army. The SRF is sending out a teamwork message here (teamwork actually put into action and not only on paper) and I think that's brilliant. It's examplary in regard to Mary's consort role.

Helmand provice is superhigh risk area, even more impressive that Mary went, and it is clear that she asked for this visit and it was granted, nobody would ever sent her there (different for Frederik who has to go for image reasons as future Head of State).

UserDane,

How is Mary's Danish coming along? I watched the above link provided by Paty and was wondering what your take, as Dane, is on HRH's enunciation nowadays.

UserDane,

How is Mary's Danish coming along? I watched the above link provided by Paty and was wondering what your take, as Dane, is on HRH's enunciation nowadays.

I'm not a Dane, but I think that Mary's pronunciation is much better nowdays.
Anyway, we need a real Dane opnion.

For Mary to show her support for the troops this way is really impressive.
This would mean a lot to the troops, as it would never be exptected that the Crown
Princess would visit, as no visit to Afghanistan is without risk.
Well done, Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done to Mary. It is always great to see those at the top showing their support, especially when so many are dying out there. Very well done.

Well done to Mary. It is always great to see those at the top showing their support, especially when so many are dying out there. Very well done.
Well done Mary indeed! And may I say that in her interview she looked very humbled when she was speaking which I think is quite admirable. She also looked like she was having a good time joking with the soldiers which I am sure they don't laugh enough. Wonderful visit.:ROFLMAO:

This is wonderful of Mary, why was it a secret? I don't think she'll get much criticism for her trip. :flowers:
Even in a dowdy army uniform she looks wonderful.

well done for Mary! just one thing I am suprise to see her with the uniform and make up! but neverthe less she is great for going there ! i would be scare just to think to be in a war zone and for this i think she very coragous! probably wa asecret becasue of protecting her!

Security reasons, definitely. Not fear of criticism.;)

I didn't think that Frederiks trip last year was hushed up?

well done for Mary! just one thing I am suprise to see her with the uniform and make up! but neverthe less she is great for going there ! i would be scare just to think to be in a war zone and for this i think she very coragous! probably wa asecret becasue of protecting her!

Why are you surprised to see her in Uniform? Make-up i can understand. :)

Sorry,I probably express myself wrong I just think that the make up does not go with the uniform, if she wanted to dress the part : uniform ok but no make up! but just it is my thoguht!

Sorry,I probably express myself wrong I just think that the make up does not go with the uniform, if she wanted to dress the part : uniform ok but no make up! but just it is my thoguht!
Many female soldiers wear make-up, including women officers. So why not Mary?

She is such a wonderful wife to the CP. She took on the challenge of Crown Princess and has not looked back. She is doing what is best for her country, her family as well as the people of Denmark. For all the people that see her as only a "fashion" princess needs to look at all her foundation works. There is nothing trivial about Mary. She takes on the roles and challenges of todays people. Now with her going to visit the troops is just one more step showing how caring and loving she is towards others. I think this explains one reason her and the Queen are so close. She knows Mary will carry on the great traditions of her new home land and do it with elegance, grace and caring for the people of Denmark. She is to be much admired for all she has accomplished since she married the CP.

UserDane,

I think she is good ! You can hear the accent of course but that is no wonder; her grammar is correct and she seems to have a fine grasp of the vocabulary - no searching for words. She's doing great IMO :flowers:

Mary has really done something very thoughtful and brave. This women is no whimp, that's for sure. I love looking at her impeccable fashion sense, but that pales in comparison to this. BRAVO MARY! :flowers::daneflag2:

There is no wimpiness in her bones. It takes a large of courage to do what she does. Salute Mary!

I like how she's wearing her military uniform in order to blend in. It would look silly if she had to walk around in a fussy dress and high heels. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom