Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 15: September 2021 - January 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
Posts about the Mary Foundation have been moved to the correct thread, see here.

That looks good. :cool:

There was particular focus on women, and not least women in the Sahel Belt.

The Sahel Belt being the broad area south of the Sahara Desert, and before in turns into a lush savanna or forest.
It's generally a very undeveloped area and very traditional in regards to culture and outlook.
If you happen to be born as a girl in that region, you can expect your life to suck!
It may not be as bad in regards to women's rights as Afghanistan, but it sure is close enough!
- I don't think I can sum it up in a better and simpler way.

Last edited:
Apparently Mary is in Burkina Faso along with the Danish Minister for Development,. THe tweet linked here is a photo of her with the President. Kept under wraps for security purposes? Wonder how long she's been there/staying?

Here is a Google Translation of the tweet caption: This Friday I received Her Royal Highness, Countess of Monpezat, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, and the Danish Minister for International Development, Flemming Moller Mortensen. We discussed the strengthening of cooperation between our two countries.

Photos:
https://scontent-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=f6ff2df33f79dec3affc2497c293c6f1&oe=61809169
https://scontent-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=20c3db8f6db8d31fb08e70e7a863ae30&oe=6181D7A9
https://scontent-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=30d0a0806decc1bc37894379a6582b50&oe=6181EFF1

Last edited:
She sure is doing great work.

It would have been for security reasons indeed and I guess she's on her way back or is visiting places in Burkina Faso, surrounded by FET agents and/or the Danish special forces in the area.
Because DK is heavily involved in that area of the Sahel Belt, both politically (via France), militarily (supporting French units fighting there) and in regards to aid.
Burkina Faso has for many years been a recipient of Danish relief aid. It was really a hole in the ground, that Danish school children were taught and encouraged to support. In particular the children there.
It is still a very poor country, but also a developing country in desperate need of investments (and military support) and today also in need of vaccines, so it's no wonder the red carpet is rolled out for Mary and the delegation she is heading. - Apart from her status of course as Crown Princess.
As a direct representative for the Danish head of state, she will of course pay her respect to the Burkina Faso government and in this case also the president. - That's diplomatic protocol.
Burkina Faso is located on the edge of the area of Sahel Belt where Islamist has been a true menace for many years, not least in neighboring Nigeria. Where Boko Haram has been notorious for killing civilians and abducting school children for purposes it's better not to dwell on. Sometimes these fightings spilled over into neighboring countries, like Burkina Faso - even though it was most to the north-east of Nigeria, but Islamist constitute a serious problem in the border area in the north of Burkina Faso, which is also the most poor part of the already poor country.
Boko Haram has recently suffered a major setback, with their insane leader being killed, so there is some hope for the future in that regards.
And the plight of women and girls there? - Well, they are a little better than in Afghanistan, despite government initiatives to improve that. So it's pretty bad to be a woman in that part of the world! - Which is probably a main reason for Mary going there.

- I could easily go on, but that background info will suffice for now, I think.

Short video

She definitely does great work for Denmark abroad.

Yes she does. From the very beginning in her role as Crown Princess almost 20 years ago, she has done an exemplary job of representing Denmark both at home and abroad. I think she's amazing!

Thank you Muhler! Your insightful comments always give great context to these visits! Very much appreciated.

Here are some additional photos:
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38859/monthly_2021_10/mary.jpg.9327523ddea97d8f8965811c10a8858f.jpg
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...ary3.jpg.5e6dd53d7c0d8d2ec51fde60899a9224.jpg
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...ary2.jpg.8140cd546d785c37d3c9c4f26581549f.jpg
https://content.invisioncic.com/r38...ary4.jpg.a47e0bf908426ab90e2222c211760109.jpg

YEs, thank you MUhler.

More on the visit
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...nprinsesse-mary-har-vaeret-paa-hemmelig-rejse

Crown Princess Mary has been on a secret business trip to Africa with full focus on Danish development assistance, human rights and help for women who are refugees in their own country.
Crown Princess Mary has left Ouagadougou
After a few important days in Burkina Faso with a permanent base in the capital Ouagadougou on Friday night, the Crown Princess set course for Europe and Denmark.

Very busy two days
https://app.tt.se/bild/q=kronprinsesse mary Burkina Faso

Such a great focus

Last edited:
A predominantly political visit it appears. Hence why she stayed in the capital.

I also noticed that Mary wore long skirts, which is appropriate attire for a married woman of status in this part of the world.
Alexandra once visited Uganda or Rwanda with Joachim. Pretty early on in their marriage, wearing a miniskirt - practical in the hot weather - but inappropriate for a married woman, vulgar in fact. She never repeated that mistake. ?

Interesting article from BT who was on the trip giving an account about how dangerous it is
https://www-bt-dk.translate.goog/de...sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fi&_x_tr_pto=nui

Video of photos taken by one of the photographers on the trip
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVpzqRIg_Hg/?utm_medium=copy_link

More articles re Mary's trip

https://www.bt.dk/udland/mary-i-orkanens-oeje-ingen-maatte-vide-hun-var-rejst

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...gene-i-afrika-det-goer-altid-et-stort-indtryk

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...urkina-faso-det-fortaeller-mary-sine-boern-om

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/mary-ser-fantastisk-ud-paa-vigtig-aften-i-ouagadougou

Yet another article from BB. Here the Minister who also went on the trip talks how Mary's presence and commitment is so important. Mary also alludes to other similar trips in the near future.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...al-fra-billed-bladet-det-kan-vi-ikke-afsloere

Interesting and depressing.

The situation in that part of the Sahel Belt is even worse than I outlined a few days ago.
Hence the deep secrecy regarding this trip. No newspaper reports were to be made before Mary and her delegation had taken off from Burkina Faso.

This is among the poorest and least developed areas in Africa and that says a lot!
The population over the next 20 years in the region will go up from 80 to 140 million. There are simply not enough resources to provide food and jobs for so many people. Impossible!
With the climate changes meaning that Sahara will move south the situation can only go one way: From here to worse.

At the same time Islamists have begun to operate much more in and around Burkina Faso, with the military completely unable to do anything about it.
They don't even have the manpower, equipment, training or money to hold the capital!
Islamists and large gangs can thus operate freely in Burkina Faso. The reason they don't to a larger extent - yet. Is presumably down to lack of money and resources of their own.
Because the manpower is there and the will is there.
There are many millions of young men without hope of a job, without money for a farm, let alone being able to marry and raise a family, who are angry and willing to strike out at anyone.
Even more see only one option: Move.
On the other side of Sahara and the sea is Europe.
But countries like Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria and Libya have enough problems of their own and don't want a flood of desperate (black, racism is alive and well) people moving through their countries like locusts - as they see it.

However Burkina Faso has mines with gold and other metals in particular and the production there is increasing - but no matter how much increase and revenue there is from mining, it will be nowhere near enough to provide jobs and money to keep up with the growing population.
The mines are of course also among the reasons why France in particular - aided by some other European countries like DK, and now also USA have a presence in the Sahel belt.
With China creeping in as well.

DK, which has supplied aid to Burkina Faso for many years, donated another 300 million DKK. To Burkina Faso that's a lot of money! But still not nearly enough.

--------------------------

- Mary has been putting focus on women and girls rights. Well, in my pessimistic view that's a lost cause. Things may well improve around the capital and to the south of Burkina Faso. But the northern two-thirds of the country... Neither I nor Mary will live to see any significant improvement in women's rights there - on the contrary.
Because West African Islam has traditionally been tolerant and practical, both in regards to other religions and the role and rights of women. Simply as a matter of necessity.
But the Islamists are much less tolerant and I believe any schools and programs directed at teaching prevention and schooling of girls will be prime targets.

Could the future trips not necessarily be to the same location but other countries and areas?

I applaud Mary's fierce dedication and comittment. She is obviously very passionate about this issue and the government is highly aware of what her presence means in terms of press and awareness.

But at what point is an area deemed just too unstable, dangerous, volatile and uncertain for her to travel to? Does Mary insist on going? Will there be a time when either the government or the court say your royal highness we cannot in good faith allow you to go to this place or that place...especially if her security cannot be guaranteed? All it takes is one minuscule whisper of her presence there and all hell could break lose putting not only her but alot of people in peril.

But no one can fault Mary for being a dedicated advocate of the causes and issues she believes in....continuing to be an exemplar representative of Denmark.

Other places in the Sahel Belt?

Not really. The situation in Sudan to the east makes it pretty much a no-go. Uganda is as close as I think a DRF member could and should go.
The central region that's Chad and that's a war-zone where French, African, Danish, Dutch and other forces are involved.
Burkina Faso and Mali is getting more and more volatile, with the countries above also being involved there - but that's where the Danish relief organization work to the extent that they can.
Further to the west we have Mauritania. Here USA is involved, but there too is increasing Islamic activity.

So yes, I think this visit has been as close to refusing Mary to go as I think we will get. I'd go so far as to say that even visiting Afghanistan was less risky, because the coalition dominated the area and there were hundreds of well armed and well equipped Danish soldiers around at the bases she visited.
That's not at all the case in Burkina Faso. In my assessment a group of FET agents and/or special forces, would pretty much have been all the protection Mary and her delegation had. (And probably based on French intelligence.)
The Burkina Faso military cannot be counted upon outside the capital.
The police is no doubt even worse.

Other places in the Sahel Belt?

Not really. The situation in Sudan to the east makes it pretty much a no-go. Uganda is as close as I think a DRF member could and should go.
The central region that's Chad and that's a war-zone where French, African, Danish, Dutch and other forces are involved.
Burkina Faso and Mali is getting more and more volatile, with the countries above also being involved there - but that's where the Danish relief organization work to the extent that they can.
Further to the west we have Mauritania. Here USA is involved, but there too is increasing Islamic activity.

So yes, I think this visit has been as close to refusing Mary to go as I think we will get. I'd go so far as to say that even visiting Afghanistan was less risky, because the coalition dominated the area and there were hundreds of well armed and well equipped Danish soldiers around at the bases she visited.
That's not at all the case in Burkina Faso. In my assessment a group of FET agents and/or special forces, would pretty much have been all the protection Mary and her delegation had. (And probably based on French intelligence.)
The Burkina Faso military cannot be counted upon outside the capital.
The police is no doubt even worse.

Here is another interview with Mary by BT that actually mentions many of your points
https://www.bt.dk/udland/kronprinse...ld-vi-kan-ikke-give-op-vi-bliver-noedt-til-at

I will say, this trip seems to be getting alot of press.

In the magazines and papers, yes. But unfortunately very little on TV-news.

The BT reporter, who went with Mary is a foreign correspondent and he was quite with Mary and applauded her, even though he realized that there was considerable limits to what she could accomplish, given the deteriorating situation in Sahel.
He mentioned the convey they traveled in, which was guarded by heavily armed police - another such convoy had been ambushed by Islamists previously and all the police officers and the Europeans they protected had been killed.

:previous: The article doesn't actually say anything about what can or cannot be achieved with a trip like that. In another article written by the same reporter, he actually says the polar opposite: "The author of this article isn't necessarily a thoroughbred monarchist but it's difficult not to see the value in the work the Crown Princess does in shedding a light on some of the world's poorest people and their tough living conditions."

The articles, as I understand them, are referring to two different things. In one that author admits that he sees the value in CP Mary's effort to go to these locations and brings awareness to said situation. However, he also sees that she is limited to what can be accomplished via that awareness and attention given the downward spiral of the conditions there. He is not being contrary. He is doing a "however" mostly. Bringing awareness to something does not equate to change in every case. It depends on the situational issues.

The articles, as I understand them, are referring to two different things. In one that author admits that he sees the value in CP Mary's effort to go to these locations and brings awareness to said situation. However, he also sees that she is limited to what can be accomplished via that awareness and attention given the downward spiral of the conditions there. He is not being contrary. He is doing a "however" mostly. Bringing awareness to something does not equate to change in every case. It depends on the situational issues.

Exactly.

:previous: The article doesn't actually say anything about what can or cannot be achieved with a trip like that. In another article written by the same reporter, he actually says the polar opposite: "The author of this article isn't necessarily a thoroughbred monarchist but it's difficult not to see the value in the work the Crown Princess does in shedding a light on some of the world's poorest people and their tough living conditions."

It's a question of what can be achieved locally. Given the circumstances.
If armed convoys in or near the capital are not safe, relief organizations working in rural Burkina Faso are not safe at all, not least due to the high number of kidnappings. Westerners of course being sought after as targets.

It's another matter that Mary, personally, can put focus on the worsening conditions for women in this part of the world, which goes largely unreported in the West, or anywhere else for that matter.

The only thing IMO that would have a marked effect in the Sahel belt is draconian: A strict one-child policy for the next couple of generations, supported by massive foreign investments.
But there is no way people in this part of the world would accept such a policy for political and religious reasons. Even if it was practically possible to try and implement it. Even prevention is actively discouraged.
In a world where your status as a man - and your retirement - is determined on how many children you have, a policy aimed at having fewer children will have next to no appeal.
Hence why I personally believe that cause is lost.

:previous: I realise that's your opinion. All I'm noting is that in none of the BT articles does the reporter state that he "realise there was considerable limits to what she could accomplish". On the contrary, actually.

Eeh, I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

I did not quote the journalist, I summed up what to me is his conclusion.
"realise there was considerable limits to what she could accomplish". - That is not a quote, that's summing up.

I also wrote in my last post: Locally.

In other words, Mary can from a distance put focus on women's plight in the Sahel Belt, but going out in person to visit projects and women in particular outside the capital - that's no longer possible due to the security situation.
The journalists points that out very clearly in his account in the two online articles of his.
https://www.bt.dk/debat/illeborg-hvis-hun-var-nervoes-saa-skjulte-hun-det-godt
https://www.bt.dk/udland/mary-i-orkanens-oje-ingen-matte-vide-hun-var-rejst

He does praise Mary, highly, as I have pointed out, for going out and try and put focus on the issues. While he at the same time describes the security situation as being very bleak.

He concludes one of the articles with this sentence:
Respekt for Marys arbejde i Afrika. Men gad vide, hvor længe det er forsvarligt for hende at fortsætte sine rejser? Jeg tror desværre ikke, at svaret er opløftende.
- "Respect for Mary's work in Africa. But (I) wonder for how long it is prudent/sound/responsible for her to continue her trips? Unfortunately I don't think the answer is uplifting."

Hence me writing that there is not much Mary can do - locally.

:previous: Yes, I know I was quoting you and not the reporter ? My point was that I think your conclusion of the reporter's sentiments regarding the trip is misleading. He points out the severity of the situation in the area but in none of the articles does he offer his opinion about what Mary realistically can and can not accomplish with the trip (as you insinuated in the quoted sentence).

On the contrary, he quite literally mentions that he thinks Mary's work is meaningful: "det er svært ikke at se værdien i det arbejde kronprinsessen udfører ved at skinne lys på nogle af verdens allerfattigste og deres barske kår" ("it's difficult not to see the value in the work the Crown Princess does by putting focus on some of the world's poorest people and their tough living conditions").

His final paragraph in that one article is clearly directed at the safety in her doing a trip like that. Not about what she can or cannot accomplish with the trips.

:previous: Locally.

While Mary can and does put focus on the general issues from a distance, the local effects may be limited.

It very logic: A visiting VIP from a donor country visits Burkina Faso and wish to see what's being done. So projects have to be initiated and they have to show some results - that the visiting dignitary (in this case Mary) can see - otherwise there may be less future donations and investments, which is what the country so desperately needs.
When no VIP's come visiting, there may be a lesser incentive to do something concrete, especially where it really matters.

And on that track a professor in African studies in DK criticized Mary for going to Burkina Faso in BT (yesterday I think), pointing out that her visit really made very little difference locally.
In a sense he is right of course. Mary's visit in itself only truly matters to those who meet and see her - for the rest of the women in Burkina Faso there will be no difference to speak of.
However, and that's what is so important about royals - who represent a nation in contrast to celebs who at best represent an organization - is that they physically and verbally can put focus on something specific. In this case the really poor conditions of women in Burkina Faso. Because to be honest, how many reading about Mary here even know where Burkina Faso is without looking at a globe?
And how many here in DK even care one bit?

As I see it the professor represent the view you often see in regards to royals: That they make very little difference locally, so why go there?
It's a sentiment I do not share: I believe it's better to do something, even very little, than doing nothing.

And that seems to be Mary's intention in regards to Burkina Faso, albeit from a distance, since going there is getting more and more problematic.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #44, 2021.
Written by our man in Burkina Faso, Ulrik Ulriksen.

(Just to be clear: Sentences beginning with - are my personal comments.)

Who went with Mary on this secret visit, that was only published as the Danish delegation was about to leave.
This is the first such trip Mary has been on since the outbreak of Corona. "It's really nice to be back and come out to see the fantastic work Denmark is doing in one of the most poor and hardest afflicted countries in the world.
I was here five years ago and it's very different being here now. Five years ago Burkina Faso was a country that had had a very peaceful and democratic election. There was great optimism and lots of energy and there was a progressive government. But the unrest on and conflicts that is here now has lead to almost 7 % of the population being internally displaced..." Of course putting additional pressure on a country which resources are already stretched. So the challenges are huge.

During her visit Mary visited a center in the capital of Ouagadougou, that taught and informed young people in particular about family planning.
With the population explosion in this part of the world there are lots of young people and they are the ones who can makes changes happen, explained Mary.
- Unfortunately the Islamists are completely against family planning and birth control. They believe it's God's command that people should multiply - period!
It doesn't exactly help that some Western relief organizations are very conservative and refuse to donate money to projects where information about birth control are taught let alone distributed. For one country in particular that is a government policy at times.

Mary does take what she has seen, heard and learned with her back home, both to her family, but also because campaigning for women's rights in Burkina Faso also takes places back in Denmark.

Mary also met a group of internally displaced women. They have started a communal organization in mutually supporting and helping other women. That has again reduced the need for aide.
- I guess it's out of necessity. Burkina Faso has very little to give and international relief organizations have a hard time even reaching the refugee camps or villages. So in the end very little aide trickles down to the individual family.

The Danish relief aide is now with priority on women's and girl's rights. Something that is considered a high priority.
- And enjoy universal political and public support.

The Minister for Development, Flemming Møller Mortensen, says that it makes a huge difference that Mary is taking part in such a trip.
- Because she opens doors and gets attention on a much higher level, not least in regards to the protocol, than a mere Minister for Development. Even if said minister carry a big bag of money.

The projects and aide can be very simple and practical as Mary learned during her visit. Access to clean water is unsurprisingly a major problem in a country in the Sahel Belt.
So local aide can be something as simple as a deep well with a simple pump. Easy to manufacture locally, easy to operate and easy to maintain and repair and yet at makes a huge difference for a village.
It's "simply" a question of finding the money, drill a hole, building a prototype and have local workers copy it.

- On the other side of Africa is Ethiopia and some of you may recall Mary visiting that country some years ago. The country was hailed as being one of the most progressive and forward moving countries in Africa when she went there.
Today the country has descended into a viscous civil war with the situation being so bad that Western embassies in the capital are being evacuated.
Women's rights in Ethiopia has now plunged far down the list of priorities...

Isn't it QMII who usually attends this anniversary?

I'll check the archive. If so it does make sense that Mary steps in, as her job as Rigsforstander must also include substituting for QMII at annual events she would usually attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom