Crown Princess Mary, Current Events Part 15: September 2021 - January 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: :flowers:

It amazes me how big a difference a seemingly trivial concept as a hospital-clown can make. That has been proven again and again.

A trip coming up for Mary

"On the 23rd-26th October 2023, HRH the Crown Princess will participate in the celebration of UN Day in New York and in the World Anti-Bullying Forum 2023 in North Carolina.
HRH The Crown Princess begins the visit to New York on 23 October, where Her Royal Highness will be on 24 October, which marks United Nations Day and the founding of the United Nations (UN) on 24 October 1945.

During her stay in New York, the Crown Princess will participate in meetings on the occasion of UN Day and with a view to promoting Denmark's candidacy for the UN Security Council 2025-2026. Denmark is a candidate for a non-permanent seat when there are elections for the UN Security Council for the period 2025-2026.

The Crown Princess will then travel to North Carolina to participate in the World Anti-Bullying Forum 2023 together with the Mary Foundation.

The World Anti-Bullying Forum is an international conference that brings together researchers, practitioners and others working on bullying to focus on bullying from a variety of angles. The Crown Princess will deliver the conference's opening speech and participate in part of the other program."

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/h-k-h-kronprinsessen-besoeger-new-york-og-north-carolina

Crown Princess Mary attended a meeting with the Crown Princess Mary Center's Advisory Committee today, October 12:

** instagram post **

Program for HRH the Crown Princess's visit to New York and North Carolina

On the 23rd-25th October 2023, HRH the Crown Princess will participate in the celebration of UN Day in New York as well as in a number of events as part of the promotion of Denmark's candidacy for the UN Security Council. Furthermore, Her Royal Highness will subsequently participate in the World Anti-Bullying Forum 2023 in North Carolina.

The Crown Princess will visit New York on the 23rd-24th. October. The Crown Princess will give an opening speech on Monday evening at a reception at the UN Mission to mark Denmark's champion role in "The Coalition on Addressing Sea-level rise & Existential Threats", which works to raise awareness of the consequences of climate change, including the impact of sea level rise on low-lying communities. The reception will be attended by UN ambassadors from the Small Island Developing States (SIDS), which is an association of 39 small island developing states, as well as a number of representatives of the other champion countries for the coalition.

The following day, the Crown Princess participates in a series of meetings on the occasion of UN Day and with a view to supporting Denmark's candidacy for the UN Security Council 2025-2026. Among other things, the Crown Princess has a meeting with the executive director of the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) Catherine Russell and a number of female UN ambassadors about international work with education and climate.

The Crown Princess will then give an opening speech at a round table discussion on the future of multilateralism on the occasion of UN Day organized by Singapore and the International Peace Institute (IPI) with the participation of representatives from the FOSS countries (Forum of Small States).

As patron of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the Crown Princess will later in the day meet with the executive director of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), Dr. Natalia Kanem to discuss the rights of women and girls.

On 25 October, the Crown Princess will participate together with the Mary Foundation in the conference World Anti-Bullying Forum 2023, which will be held in Raleigh, North Carolina. The conference brings together researchers, practitioners and others who work with bullying to focus on bullying from a number of different angles.

Her Royal Highness will deliver the conference's opening speech on the Mary Foundation's efforts to combat bullying, and in addition the Crown Princess will participate in part of the conference's other program.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/p...insessens-besoeg-i-new-york-og-north-carolina

:flowers:

Yes, there is a lot of evidence supporting the notion that gardening is mentally beneficial in so many ways.

That also applies to homeless, who being giving a small plot to take care, not only experience the relaxation, focus and indeed joy in gardening, which is of course helpful for many homeless who have all sorts of issues on their minds.
It also gives them a place of belonging and a sense of purpose and something to do, because you have to tend to your plants, flowers whatever regularly.

And from that modest beginning, some may begin to reflect on their lives and be more willing to accept help and what is equally as important, to commit themselves to begin a new life. Such a transformation can be very daunting and almost an insurmountable task.
After all extremely few people really want to be homeless. The "happy vagabond" are very few and far between. Probably less than 100 in total in all of DK. (Most meet once a year BTW.) As for the rest getting out of homelessness is not just a matter of "Get a job!" - And who would seriously employ them for a normal job anyway?

"Crown Princess Mary takes the viewers to the North Sea in a TV broadcast to be shown at the end of the month and talks about nature's impact on well-being and mental health.
This happens in the brand new DR program "Nature and our minds - The Crown Princess at the North Sea".
Peter Qvortrup Geisling has invited the Crown Princess out into nature for a conversation with three Danes, who have all had a hard time.
They have struggled with stress, mental disorders and grief, but what they have in common is that they have used nature to find peace and balance in their lives."

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...sesse-mary-paa-skaermen-med-populaer-tv-vaert

https://www.dr.dk/presse/presse-ind...n-saetter-fokus-paa-naturen-og-mental-sundhed

Last edited:
Last edited:
:previous::flowers:

This is about money.

Normally a vice president could easily attend a gala without the crown princess being present.
But as you may recall M&F early on went with the then Regent Couple of a state visit to Vietnam, which was the official beginning of what has turned out to a pretty extensive commercial interaction between DK and Vietnam.
Vietnam is a large and attractive market and is in the long run also the key to Laos and Cambodia and like most EU countries (as well as whole lot of ofther countries!) DK is looking for alternative countries to have products manufactured or to buy manufactured products from. It's simply too dangerous to rely too much on China.

Vietnam would more than welcome a share of the Chinese costumers. And considering that China and Vietnam traditionally have had a less than hearty relationship, a commercial union between these two countries is unlikely.

So Mary is wheeled out to put a little extra emphasis on appreciation of the Vietnamese visit. Also, protocol wise Mary ranks her husband, also when going solo.

My take was that the Denmark-Vietnam relation was especially close because the late prince Henrik spent part of his childhood in Vietnam. So, this special connection continued (as it is beneficial for both parties).

And considering that China and Vietnam traditionally have had a less than hearty relationship, a commercial union between these two countries is unlikely.

I wonder, if this is true, since Vienam has a thriving Chinese minority - about their numbers are mostly speculations, but it could be up to two million people!

I wonder, if this is true, since Vienam has a thriving Chinese minority - about their numbers are mostly speculations, but it could be up to two million people!

Oh yes.

Being ethnic Chinese does not mean that you are necessarily loyal to the Chinese regime.
There are considerable Chinese minorities in south east Asia, some are indeed loyal to China itself, other are not.

If you look at Vietnamese history, you will see that Vietnam basically consist of north and south Vietnam, who are not particularly fond of each other, and the people in the interior, who are looked down upon by everybody else.
But there is one thing north and south can agree on: Be vary of the Chinese!
China has for I don't know how long been trying to expand south, along the coast and in all that time been fiercely resisted by the Vietnamese.
Even during the Vietnam War. North Vietnam and Vietcong accepted help from China, but otherwise they were told stay out. That resulted in a medium sized war in the late 70's IIRC, where China was beaten back by the battle-hardened Vietnamese.

China has a major weakness which is becoming evident in these years: They suck at diplomacy. China collects client states (whose heads of states, had this been a few hundred years ago, would have been expected to come to Beijing and kowtow) not allies.
Being allied is like an elephant and a mouse walking along, calling each other "partner" but it is of course obvious who matters the most. It's that pretense that China has neglected.
China has also tried to set up a trade zone in especially south-east Asia. In such a trade zone China would naturally be the biggest and most influential player. But the Philippines, Malaya, Indonesia and Vietnam perhaps also Thailand are not particularly keen on being reduced to subservient client states.
In fact these countries might end up forming their own trading block. Rather than partnering up with a very dominant China. And China doesn't have the same economic leverage as it had only ten years ago.
There is after all a reason why no one, as in no one at all, even USA, wants to know the true value of the Chinese Yuan.

It's really fascinating to study the Chinese economy and foreign policy these years! And it's very difficult to predict what might happen in China in just ten- twenty years from now.

There are considerable Chinese minorities in south east Asia, some are indeed loyal to China itself, other are not.

Ok! But is it about "loyalties" or about "making money"! These are two different things in my humble opinion.

Ok! But is it about "loyalties" or about "making money"! These are two different things in my humble opinion.

Hmm...
I don't think that's mutually exclusive.

There are ethnic Chinese from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and elsewhere who are not particularly fond of the Chinese regime and who may not feel any loyalty towards China.
Then there are Chinese from mainland China, who can be high ranking officials as well, who will feel very loyal to the regime. Others are businessmen who will find it prudent to at the very least appear loyal to China, in order to continue having or doing business in China.
And there are wealthy Chinese who are deeply patriotic. In many cases such people buy up and bring "home" Chinese pieces of art that has ended up abroad. Mao's Cultural Revolution in particular destroyed a lot of invaluable and irreplaceable pieces of art, literature, buildings and so on.
- All of the above are no doubt very keen on making money. And even though people do have a tendency to be very loyal to their money, it's not clear cut.
And I haven't even touched the deeply ingrained Chinese exceptionalism. The Realm in the Middle. - Where China having a leading, even central role in the world, is genuinely believed in. With the past 250 or so years basically being a temporary low in the very long history of China. I.e. China will rise and take its rightful place in the world again.

But to return to the Chinese minority in Vietnam.
There are a couple of aspects in that. The typical at least Western image of the Chinese are those living in and around Beijing and along the coast, in particular the Mandarin-speaking Chinese. (Mandarin basically being the Beijing dialect). But China is pretty big! And lots of different people live there, even different cultural variations of the stereotypical "Mandarin-Chinese" for a lack of a better description.
So they may not look particular Chinese i.e. they look more typical Vietnamese and they may not even speak Chinese and if the do, they could very well speak Cantonese rather than Mandarin, Cantonese often being more dominant along the coast to the south in China.
And that means that they may be ethnic and even culturally Chinese but they may first and foremost see themselves as Vietnamese.

- Well, I hope that rambling made sense.

"Crown Princess Mary takes the viewers to the North Sea in a TV broadcast to be shown at the end of the month and talks about nature's impact on well-being and mental health.
This happens in the brand new DR program "Nature and our minds - The Crown Princess at the North Sea".

Prior to the broadcast tomorrow, November 30 (06.00 on Danish DRTV and on Danish DR1 at 20.00), the Palace has released a short film clip today:

** instagram video **

Ah, she's talking with all of DK's favorite TV-doctor.
He is actually very serious.

Oddly enough I can't recall ever having seen anything with him, but I certainly know plenty of his devotees. - Who can spend hours discussing the illnesses he brings up, his hair, comparing symptoms, his shirts, bragging about how many pills they take a day - aaaand so on...

I hope to see it during this weekend and write a review here.

:previous: Thank you Muhler beforehand for doing so.

"Last night DR broadcasted the program "Nature and our mind - with the Crown Princess at the North Sea". I hope many people watched and that the program was received for the purpose it was sent: Reminding us of our connection to nature. When we feel part of it can contribute to our sense of wellbeing.

It was a great pleasure when I, together with doctor Peter Geisling and three brave people - Mette, Mathias and Anaselma - spent a beautiful late summer day by the North Sea, where we talked about how nature has had a positive impact on their mental health in the light of their personal life journeys.

Nature has always filled and been an important part of my life. In recent years, I've become more aware of how much good I get from staying in nature. Here I can let my thoughts flow, find peace and have time for reflection. Or I can get new ideas and find solutions to challenges that I have long thought about.

Heartfelt thanks to Mette, Mathias and Anaselma, who openly chose to share their stories and the importance nature has had for them. And then - as always - it was good to be blown through by our wild North Sea.

H.K.H. Kronprinsessen"
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0TuN5btbsi/?img_index=1

I've seen the programme with Mary.

There are four people in focus, besides Mary.
The TV-doctor, Peter Geisling. (Checkered shirt.)
And three people who suffer from various forms of anxieties.
Mathias, several issues.
Anselma, stress. (Dark hair).
Mette, grief.

The whole group went to the west coast of Jutland. Blokhus to be exact. As you can tell it's pretty scenic, but it also as raw nature as you are likely to get in DK, because the waves and the wind come in, and come in right in your face!
- And that is actually why Mary chose this spot for this programme. It's also the first time she saw the Western Sea (as we call it).

Mary says that it's important to avoid being on your own when dealing with your mental issues.
80 % of the Danish population will at some point suffer from some sort of psychological issue that requires treatment. (Or IMO could or should require treatment.)

We learn BTW that M&F spend their summer at the west coast, and it was windy and rainy all the time! But today is calm. Most unusual.
All three find that being in the nature provides an inner calm for them.

Anselma, who is 19, lives in a small village in southern Funen, which without comparison is the most idyllic place in DK. - She's a perfectionist and typical "topgrade-girl" as we term it in DK. That resulted in her going down with stress.
So she started going for very long walks in order to empty her head.
53 % of the 15-30 year olds only feel "good enough" if they score top marks.
Not necessarily because they want to score top marks, but they feel they must be perfect.
It's a relatively new phenomenon in DK that has not yet been fully researched.

They are making kites. That is in accordance with a Chinese proverb, where your worries are symbolized by the kites that you send up. I.e. you let go of your worries in the same way you allow your kite to fly.

The average teen spend 6+ hours in front of a screen daily. The average kindergartner some two hours.
Mary explains that they drag their children out on longer walks and they are to begin with not happy about it! But once they are out there it becomes a positive experience.

Mathias is 30 years old and lives on Zealand not far from Copenhagen. ADHD and atypical autism. He feels he constantly needs to be active, so nature helps in that respect. Because he needs to focus on cycling or running.

About half of those who get one of the 20 most common diagnosis will later get an additional diagnosis. It was while attending a continuation school for adults (Højskole) with emphasis on sport and nature that it became clear to him what therapeutic effect nature has on him.

Mary explains how she gets her thoughts and issues in order by walking the dog, ride or walk around Fredensborg Palace. (In a similar manner, I suspect, to QMII doing the same by doing handywork.)
The conversation between Mary and the doctor where they are sitting down takes place in the backyard of Kancellihuset at Fredensborg, a part of which Mary has turned into a "wild-garden" or unkempt nature-garden.
In DK we are experiencing a very clear drop in the number of insects, so every sanctuary matters.)
One of Mary's big revelations in regards to nature took place in north-east Greenland with the Sirius Patrol and her husband. She suddenly realized she hadn't thought about anything for a long while. Her mind went empty and she simply was. She existed. She was one with nature. She was.

Mette is 47. She lost her husband in an accident seven years ago, leaving her a widow with two daughters. So she had plenty on her mind!
Winter-bathing was the key for her but after three years she went down with stress and that's when she really took up swimming in cold water.
She went into what is called "complicated grief" that is where it seriously affects your quality of life.

Each year around 200.000 Danes experience grief in connection with a death, a tenth of them require (or should or could) treatment.
BTW around 50.000+ Danes die each year.

-----------------

Well, it sure wasn't the easiest thing to summarize! So I opted to follow the flow chronologically in the hope that it makes sense when you look at the video.

Mary was here the medium in which the topic of various mental afflictions are brought before a wider audience. Fortunately stress and anxieties is no longer something to be that ashamed about especially among younger people.
And it's a good topic to put focus on no matter what.
- In that respect I have often seen comments when DK has been declared the "happiest country" in the world or at least among the top three, that: "Yeah, but they have a record high use of medication." - True. But that's because we try and look after and help those who have mental issues.

We are very privileged here in DK in regards to nature. Even if you live in downtown Copenhagen, you can stand on a field on in a forest after less than an hours walk, no matter where you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom