Crown Princess Mary at the World Economic Forum in Davos: January 20-24, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for enlighten me on what large businesses do. In fact being professionally involved in such international conferences myself it seems it did not help me to understand the concept of discussion that is being practiced in such conferences as I have learned now :)

Actually as I am familiar with quite a few concepts of discussion therefore, I am calling Davos a "blablabla" event so to speak. WEF is a platform for representatives of the elite from the political and economic sectors . Offering an exchange of experience for an international circle is not the main driver. The main driver is offering a platform for doing business .It is about on how to use the forum to show-off with the own vanities and successes, to think about on how to expand and make more money, while attending the exquisite seminars, workshops, dinners, parties and other get-togethers and to enjoy some shopping and skiing in-between – secluded from the rest of the world, above all from demonstrators and opponents, and protected by security like Ford Knox once was. And since this elitist group of people is not “glamor-star” material, the WEF since years is trying to give the conference a more glamorous look by trying to attract royals and show biz representatives. And almost unaware media and public attention shifts from workshops that end with no significant result except for some good-will communiqués to wardrobes and party guests.

I am pretty sure that there are many internationally skilled advisors in Denmark who could have easily taught Princess Mary on how to optimize her work with the foundation and exchange experience with her. Neither she nor do other royals need the vanities of Davos in order to learn on how to do or expand her work. But of course when tap dancing was the main driver, than Davos was definitely the right place to be J

Interesting article on the WEF: Five myths about Davos
The heavy hitters that are attending the WEF couldn't care less about royals. It is probably more a matter of royals wanting to be seen at this event than the other way around. Considering it costs $50,000+ to attend this event (everyone pays to attend, it costs to get invited too) who is paying for the various royals?

Im just wondering why this conversation is going on only in the thread for Mary? When other royals have gone as well and have been part of this event longer. :whistling:
CP Haakon and Mette-Marit, the Belgium royal CP couple, Rania and the king of Jordan...

Mary is just the consort of a royal heir, shouldn't we be more concern that the future king of Norway and the future king of Belgium regularly attend?

Why is it such an issue only for Mary?

I think this event can only help her and her work on the Mary Foundation. get new ideas and so forth...

Last edited:
Im just wondering why this conversation is going on only in the thread for Mary? When other royals have gone as well and have been part of this event longer. :whistling:

Why is it such an issue only for Mary?
I have been wondering about the same thing...;)

Considering it costs $50,000+ to attend this event (everyone pays to attend, it costs to get invited too) who is paying for the various royals?
AFAIK "Young Global Leaders" (which most of the attending royals are) don't have to pay to attend the WEF or to be invited. As for the rest, e.g. Prince Philippe of Belgium, obviously someone was willing to pay so he could attend (he is much involved in business promotion), I am pretty sure he didn't force anyone with a loaded gun.

polyesco
Im just wondering why this conversation is going on only in the thread for Mary? When other royals have gone as well and have been part of this event longer.
You are right. The WEF is a pretty controversial subject and everyone has the right to have his/her own opinion about it.
But I would value the critical opinions of some posters much higher if they were made in the threads of their favourite royals. To keep quiet there (for years) but speak out here seems quite hypocritical to me and makes me wonder what the (real) motives are. It just doesn't give them much credibility.

The heavy hitters that are attending the WEF couldn't care less about royals. It is probably more a matter of royals wanting to be seen at this event than the other way around. Considering it costs $50,000+ to attend this event (everyone pays to attend, it costs to get invited too) who is paying for the various royals?

Sorry grevinnan, of course you are also correct. I missed mentioning it that the other way around it is a place for royals to be seen as well.

Actually as I am familiar with quite a few concepts of discussion therefore, I am calling Davos a "blablabla" event so to speak. WEF is a platform for representatives of the elite from the political and economic sectors . Offering an exchange of experience for an international circle is not the main driver. The main driver is offering a platform for doing business .It is about on how to use the forum to show-off with the own vanities and successes, to think about on how to expand and make more money, while attending the exquisite seminars, workshops, dinners, parties and other get-togethers and to enjoy some shopping and skiing in-between – secluded from the rest of the world, above all from demonstrators and opponents, and protected by security like Ford Knox once was. And since this elitist group of people is not “glamor-star” material, the WEF since years is trying to give the conference a more glamorous look by trying to attract royals and show biz representatives. And almost unaware media and public attention shifts from workshops that end with no significant result except for some good-will communiqués to wardrobes and party guests.

Interesting article on the WEF: Five myths about Davos

So what you are basically saying, Naggi, is that at worst Mary (and the other royals) are wasting their time?

At best they are.....?

So what you are basically saying, Naggi, is that at worst Mary (and the other royals) are wasting their time?

At best they are.....?

Yes :) Staying in the own circle of people and listening to how they praise their own work and compliment my own, is from my perspective nice to listen but nothing to gain from.

Yes :) Staying in the own circle of people and listening to how they praise their own work and compliment my own, is from my perspective nice to listen but nothing to gain from.

Fair enough, Naggi. I respect your view.

That doesn't mean I agree with you, especially as there are more aspects to this than just meeting and discussing ideas and initiatives (or alternatively praising themselves, as you suggest). It's also very much about networking, establishing and confirming contacts, which may come in very handy in the future in other aspects of (in this case) Mary's work.
Even if I agreed with you view I'd still say there are considerable benefits to be gained from this summit.

Last edited:
Skimming through the last few comments is the question of why this was brought up regarding Mary (re: attending an alleged "fluff" conference) when it could be said about so many other royals. I suspect that ALL the royals go to a lot of these things, spend a lot of taxpayer money, and get nothing out of it other than a few PR photos and goodwill from the people who paid to send them.

Yes, I agree completely that other royals attend the same conferences and they're much the same "see and be seen" gathering of the Masters of the Universe. But it's not MARY - it's how these things work.

That doesn't mean an individual attendee takes nothing from it, it's up to the individual to do so. There must be a little something to be gained, even if it's just letting others know they are important too and would be good to network with. I've attended gatherings like this in my profession as well. It IS to an extent which table you were placed at and what you were wearing, how you make small talk (everyone sizing everyone else up) but then others know you are part of the "group" and they network with you. All nonsense, but it's how it works in the business world. Most of it is political and who you know rather than what you can actually DO.

In my personal opinion, conference attendees, especially the Davos kind, do not worry much about what the common herd thinks. The main point is that they feel they make a difference. The Davos Forums is one of the modern vanity fairs. Yes, it is cute to see royals mingling with the business elites and politicians and showing that that they keep abreast of the times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom