Crown Princess Mary at the World Economic Forum in Davos: January 20-24, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a small report in the UK's "The Telegraph", from journalist Emma Rowley, about her sharing CP Mary's lunch table, and not realising who she was at first.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Tony Blair once had the same problem with Queen Beatrix when he was at Davos. He asked her who she was.

Tony Blair once had the same problem with Queen Beatrix when he was at Davos. He asked her who she was.

:eek: Bet that helped UK/Netherlands relations at the time NGalitzine. :D

Sun Lion.

Thanks, Sun Lion :flowers:

Here it is (a third the way or so down the page): Davos 2013: as it happened - January 23, 2013 - Telegraph

Hi Muhler - thanks for posting the link :lucky: I need to learn how to do that - probably not hard I guess, just haven't worked it out yet. (Or linking to photos.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Also, thanks for the photos posted too Everyone.

I'm impressed CP Mary is sitting beside such heavy-hitters as IMF Head Christine Lagarde.

Is seating assigned, or first in, first served?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you fairytale for taking the time to find the pics and posting them. I don't know why women wear black to these things. Some colour brightens up an otherwise dull but serious event.

Thank you fairytale for taking the time to find the pics and posting them. I don't know why women wear black to these things. Some colour brightens up an otherwise dull but serious event.

Hi Tarlita - probably the same reason black dominates the wardrobes of the female office workers of the world, (Sydney at least).

Most smart, tailored, daywear is, and has been for years, black.

Slimming, more practical than lighter colours around printers and photocopiers, something you don't have to wear fresh each day- people don't recognise the same outfit days in a row when everyone is just in black and dark navy.

But, yes, a bright red jacket, a dash of colour on the outfit like a fuschia scarf, etc., would lift each ladies look. (And they don't have to worry about doing the laundry after a long day at work.)

Also, I think a lot of women have forgotten - or never realised - what a bit of appropriate colour near the face can do to enhance the complexion. Every bit of tiredness shows up with black.

Oh for the day's of feminine dressing from the early 60s - such as Doris Day, playing a working woman got about in, in her movies of that time.

Such days are gone forever now I think - everyone is just too busy to fuss about daily clothes, plus the worry of not fitting in with what everyone else is wearing.

(CP Mary's blouse stood out with that blue.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
Yes Marys blue blouse did stand out just a little and was understated. I vaguely remember Doris Days womanly outfits, what a wonderful actress and a great character she was. Miss seeing her on the silver screen and miss, Miss Bette Davis too. But as you say a bright scarf around the neck would lift the boredom of unrelieved black just as a snazzy tie does for men. They should invite us as fashion police to these events and pay our way of course. I would be up for that. Ho Ho Ho.

Finland's President Sauli Niinisto and Denmark's Crown Princess Mary attend the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos January 23, 2013.

Picture gallery

Yes Marys blue blouse did stand out just a little and was understated. I vaguely remember Doris Days womanly outfits, what a wonderful actress and a great character she was. Miss seeing her on the silver screen and miss, Miss Bette Davis too. But as you say a bright scarf around the neck would lift the boredom of unrelieved black just as a snazzy tie does for men. They should invite us as fashion police to these events and pay our way of course. I would be up for that. Ho Ho Ho.

Hey Tarlita - yes, count me in.

I'm just going through a stage of looking back at some of CP Mary's past outfits - I'd didn't have time in previous years, and lost track of most of the comings and goings of the last half of 2012 with a broken ankle in a house without a computer - yes, there are still a few around !

My husband just brought me a tablet so I'd free up his computer, and how lovely it has been these last few weeks looking at "early" Mary and "fashion" Mary, "tiara" Mary and "ballgown" Mary.

She just keeps going up and up in my esteem - lots of help I'm sure, but I don't think I have it in me to be bothered to always be on show - let alone with four small children as well.

A pleasure to see though - more "real" than the fashion runways etc., more relate-able.

(Tarlita, during my wanders around the internet today, I came across some - recent? - lovely pictures of Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik at a concert at Chateau de Caix, (Cayx).

QM is wearing a really beautiful blue - did you catch them?

I remember you had an interest in this property. They look like they are cooking on that table on the terrace.

Maybe they've been posted somewhere on TRFs already - I haven't kept up here the last few months due to travelling after my ankle got going again - nice views of the property. And QM is at least one "International" lady not afraid of colour - also a pleasure to see her outfits.)

Cheers, Sun Lion. :ladybug::ladybug::ladybug:

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: It'll be my pleasure, Roskilde. :)

Summary of article in Berlingske Tidende. (*)
Written by Thomas Larsen.

Mary is here talking about her impressions from the Davos summit.

She has taken part in several sessions and heard about the latest trends regarding economy and politics and she puts it: "It's buzzing with ideas. - I have met so many dynamic and wise people who come from all sorts of backgrounds and from all parts of the world. It's people who have started things and made a difference".

Mary has been surprised how very frank and direct the discusions were: "All meetings have been very open/frank and everbody have shown a will to share, which took me by surprise. It meant that contacts and exchange of ideas were quickly established".

Mary was delighted to learn that many were interested in the work by the Mary Foundation: "It made an impression on many that we work in fighting loneliness. - Perhaps they were intially a bit puzzled, but then they understood the importance.
When I stood up and talked about the Mary Foundation, I met a lot of interest. There were several who asked whether the Mary Foundation shouldn't start to work internationally".

There are certainly plenty of things to digest and reflect on after this summit: "I have so many ideas in the head right now. Now I need to get them sorted and thought through".

(*) Berlingske Tidende is a serious and conservative newspaper.

There is also a gallery from Davos: Med Mary, Mette Marit og de andre kongelige til pengeforum i Schweiz | www.b.dk
I'll leave it to the moderators to decide whether this should also be posted in the main Davos thread. - Well, anyone can just post the link there anyway, right? ;)

BB is up.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Mary seemed to fit it nicely with the upmarket crowds of Davos.

Crown Princess Mary seemed to fit it nicely with the upmarket crowds of Davos.

I took the liberty of looking at your posts, Al_bina.

As far as I can see Mary is the only royal who, in your opinion, distinguish herself in that way.

kMary in Davos and all I can read here is how nicely she fits in the crowed, how nicely she is dressed and how impressed she was from all what is going on. Nothing on her work and her input. And one should not think that this boring?

kMary in Davos and all I can read here is how nicely she fits in the crowed, how nicely she is dressed and how impressed she was from all what is going on. Nothing on her work and her input. And one should not think that this boring?

Hmmm, a discussion of the work of the Mary Foundation and suggestions from other attendees that the foundations work should be expanded on an international scale. Boring? Its a conference to discuss ideas. You were expecting perhaps lap dancing?

I think it is very exciting for the members of the Mary Fdn that some at this forum have asked if the Mary Fdn should go International. They obviously believe the Fdn does good worthwhile work. There's lots more I would like to say, but its early morning here and I haven't had my caffeine yet.

I took the liberty of looking at your posts, Al_bina.

As far as I can see Mary is the only royal who, in your opinion, distinguish herself in that way.
I have got a very low opinion of forums like the Davos Forum. It is an upmarket hobnob where the elites try to pretend to be just like usual people and usual people delude themselves into thinking their opinions matter.
My observation about Crown Princess Mary fitting in is connected to episcogal's comment about the gravitas. No one ever questioned the gravitas of Crown Princely couple of Belgium or Norway. That is all.

Last edited:
I have got a very low opinion of forums like the Davos Forum. It is an upmarket hobnob where the elites try to pretend to be just like usual people and usual people delude themselves into thinking their opinions matter.
My observation about Crown Princess Mary fitting in is connected to episcogal's comment about the gravitas. No one ever questioned the gravitas of Crown Princely couple of Belgium or Norway. That is all.

I'll will not go into any discussion about who says what about what royals.
I will however ask why Mary is singled out and viewed in a negative light, when mingling with such upmarket hobnobs, as you put it, while you seem to have no problems with other royals doing the exact same thing.

I believe it was you, who in a previous post said something along the lines that it was better to leave things alone than to attend a summit like the one at Davos.
Well, you and I have a very different opinion on that.
I say it's better to do something, no matter how little or insignificant it is, than doing nothing.

In the article in Berlingske Tidende Mary talked about how she has her head full of ideas. She may not change the world, but if some of these ideas are realised it may make a difference for a few people. And that may not be so bad for someone who seems to lack gravitas.

I don't believe Mary will ever win the Nobel Peace Prize, have a statue of her erected in front of the UN building in New York or be applauded by the General Assembly, but at least she is trying to make this world just a little bit better. And that's not the worst thing people can do with their lives.

Last edited:
I will however ask why Mary is singled out and viewed in a negative light, when mingling with such upmarket hobnobs, as you put it, while you seem to have no problems with other royals doing the exact same thing.

I believe it was you, who in a previous post said something along the lines that it was better to leave things alone than to attend a summit like the one at Davos.
... [snipped]
Crown Princess Mary is your Crown Princess. You have a right to express opinion with ardour. You are also within your right to change the world. Fairly speaking, I care little for common people and royal people attending such hobnobs. I just made an observation. It is always entertaining to read passionate speeches in the Danish and Spanish forums.

Last edited:
:previous: I'm glad I was able to divert you a bit. It's always nice to please others.

I haven't changed the world, but I've tried to do my bit and in a very small way I'm still trying.
While others may prefer to remain passive and look at this in a more aloof way.
Just an observation. :)

In a later post episcogal made it appears that he/she is really not aware of what work Mary does, not a ringing endorsement for such a comment.
It looks like we are playing follow the leader here and not making our own decisions it happens a lot.

Iam not sure why Mette Marit and the Belgium couple (Haakon gets a pass) are there however Iam sure they are doing the job requested of them the same as Mary will.

Thanks for all the photos and links I think it great that some have suggested that The Mary Foundation go international obviously the work Mary is doing is well respected.

Last edited:
Hmmm, a discussion of the work of the Mary Foundation and suggestions from other attendees that the foundations work should be expanded on an international scale. Boring? Its a conference to discuss ideas. You were expecting perhaps lap dancing?

Hmmm, lap dancing. Well, that would have been definitely something exciting in Davos for sure! She had to travel to Davos to get suggestions to expand on an international scale?

Hmmm, lap dancing. Well, that would have been definitely something exciting in Davos for sure! She had to travel to Davos to get suggestions to expand on an international scale?

Well to put it in a business context, it is not unusual for large businesses to bring managers from across the country together for conferences. Different managers discuss what they are doing in their own local departments, discussions happen, people discuss best practices and how to adapt them to their own departments.
The Davos conference really isnt much different except people come from around the world, represent different backgrounds & areas of interest/expertise, share ideas, comment on what each other is doing, offer suggestions etc. It really doesn't seem so hard to understand although apparently for some the concept of idea discussion is unheard of.

A great many countries put aside money for developing countries and aid to countries in need. Now this forum has politicians and business leaders and royals attending all exchanging and putting forward ideas on how best these monies should be used to help those in real need. Hob nobbing it may be, but some good should come out of this. What is wrong with that!!

I agree Tarlita, I have never understood why a gathering of people who have power and influence getting together to discuss how things might change or be improved is a bad thing........although I know there are conspiracy theorists who can come up with a bucketfull of reasons, and then of course there are those who believe it is best to just sit back and not do anything about anything.

Well, you and I have a very different opinion on that.
I say it's better to do something, no matter how little or insignificant it is, than doing nothing.

In the article in Berlingske Tidende Mary talked about how she has her head full of ideas. She may not change the world, but if some of these ideas are realised it may make a difference for a few people. And that may not be so bad for someone who seems to lack gravitas.

I don't believe Mary will ever win the Nobel Peace Prize, have a statue of her erected in front of the UN building in New York or be applauded by the General Assembly, but at least she is trying to make this world just a little bit better. And that's not the worst thing people can do with their lives.

Hi Muhler - enjoyed your robust defence of CP Mary's presence at Davos. :flowers:

As the future Queen Consort of one of the world's most stable and free countries, and raising it's future King, it is appropriate for her to be there.

Most of the attendees will still be in powerful positions for years to come.

CP Mary's presence at these International meetings will have long term benefits as she moves through life, making contacts, learning what works, growing towards her goals. No-one just "arrives" complete at anything in life.

Cheers Everyone, Sun Lion.

P.S. - saw earlier today a mention that Royals sit in the front row as a courtesy - answer to my previous question. :sun::sun::sun:

My gawd, are we still arguing about whether Mary has enough gravitas to set foot out side of the Palace and be seen in the light of day? :lol:

My gawd, are we still arguing about whether Mary has enough gravitas to set foot out side of the Palace and be seen in the light of day? :lol:

Not arguing GracieGiraffe - just engaged in a vigorous discussion. :lol::lol::lol:

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Well to put it in a business context, it is not unusual for large businesses to bring managers from across the country together for conferences. Different managers discuss what they are doing in their own local departments, discussions happen, people discuss best practices and how to adapt them to their own departments.
The Davos conference really isnt much different except people come from around the world, represent different backgrounds & areas of interest/expertise, share ideas, comment on what each other is doing, offer suggestions etc. It really doesn't seem so hard to understand although apparently for some the concept of idea discussion is unheard of.

Thank you for enlighten me on what large businesses do. In fact being professionally involved in such international conferences myself it seems it did not help me to understand the concept of discussion that is being practiced in such conferences as I have learned now :)

Actually as I am familiar with quite a few concepts of discussion therefore, I am calling Davos a "blablabla" event so to speak. WEF is a platform for representatives of the elite from the political and economic sectors . Offering an exchange of experience for an international circle is not the main driver. The main driver is offering a platform for doing business .It is about on how to use the forum to show-off with the own vanities and successes, to think about on how to expand and make more money, while attending the exquisite seminars, workshops, dinners, parties and other get-togethers and to enjoy some shopping and skiing in-between – secluded from the rest of the world, above all from demonstrators and opponents, and protected by security like Ford Knox once was. And since this elitist group of people is not “glamor-star” material, the WEF since years is trying to give the conference a more glamorous look by trying to attract royals and show biz representatives. And almost unaware media and public attention shifts from workshops that end with no significant result except for some good-will communiqués to wardrobes and party guests.

I am pretty sure that there are many internationally skilled advisors in Denmark who could have easily taught Princess Mary on how to optimize her work with the foundation and exchange experience with her. Neither she nor do other royals need the vanities of Davos in order to learn on how to do or expand her work. But of course when tap dancing was the main driver, than Davos was definitely the right place to be J

Interesting article on the WEF: Five myths about Davos

Last edited:
Thank you for enlighten me on what large businesses do. In fact being professionally involved in such international conferences myself it seems it did not help me to understand the concept of discussion that is being practiced in such conferences as I have learned now :)

Actually as I am familiar with quite a few concepts of discussion therefore, I am calling Davos a "blablabla" event so to speak. WEF is a platform for representatives of the elite from the political and economic sectors . Offering an exchange of experience for an international circle is not the main driver. The main driver is offering a platform for doing business .It is about on how to use the forum to show-off with the own vanities and successes, to think about on how to expand and make more money, while attending the exquisite seminars, workshops, dinners, parties and other get-togethers and to enjoy some shopping and skiing in-between – secluded from the rest of the world, above all from demonstrators and opponents, and protected by security like Ford Knox once was. And since this elitist group of people is not “glamor-star” material, the WEF since years is trying to give the conference a more glamorous look by trying to attract royals and show biz representatives. And almost unaware media and public attention shifts from workshops that end with no significant result except for some good-will communiqués to wardrobes and party guests.

I am pretty sure that there are many internationally skilled advisors in Denmark who could have easily taught Princess Mary on how to optimize her work with the foundation and exchange experience with her. Neither she nor do other royals need the vanities of Davos in order to learn on how to do or expand her work. But of course when tap dancing was the main driver, than Davos was definitely the right place to be J

Interesting article on the WEF: Five myths about Davos

Ah, now I get it. It's one of those fabulously expensive conferences where they serve the most fabulous food but nobody eats it, because eating is for the proletariat. And it's all about what table you were put at, and what you were wearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom