Crown Princess Mary at the World Economic Forum in Davos: January 20-24, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Forum of Young Global Leaders:
"Young Global Leaders represent the future of leadership, coming from all regions of the world and representing business, government, civil society, arts & culture, academia and media, as well as social entrepreneurs"

Sounds very much like The Mary Foundation to me...

i have to disagree. to me, social entrepreneurs are, on a grand scale, muhammad yunus, and on a less "mediatic and well-known" scale (but not less admirable) the stanford grads who have created a low cost incubator for babies in developing countries, for example.
i don't think getting funding because of your husband's position and starting an association can count as entrepreneurship. it's of course social, but lacks the amount of effort that entrepreneurship requires and diminishes the work done by real entrepreneurs and the effort they put into their services and products. to continue with my example, the incubator was made by stanford MBA grads, who not only initially had to prove their worth to go to stanford, but also come up with a great idea and work hard to position their product.
i am not trying to diminish the work done by the mary foundation, which is of course very valuable. however, i think comparing the mary foundation to another private initiatives, started by people who didn't have a voice and who gained it because of their hard work, vision and leadership is somewhat reducing their accomplishments.

Al_bina said:
. As for changing the world, it is better to let well enough alone.

That's very cynical. I much prefer Martin Luther King Jr.'s take on serving the world and doing the right thing.

"Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way."

Last edited:
As for changing the world, it is better to let well enough alone.

What a terribly depressing point of view. Its a wonder mankind ever progressed from living in caves.

If the Forum organizers felt she was worthy of an invitation I have no problem with Mary or anyone else being there.

Last edited by a moderator:
And not especially intelligent either ...

What do you even mean by that? Have you personally IQ tested Mary since you can say with such certainty that she isn't very intelligent?

It´s pretty obvious to me that Mary and Mette Marit wouldn´t have that position if they weren´t princesses. I don´t think they aren´t intelligent, but the world is full of more intelligent women who aren´t part of this WEF.

George Clooney wouldn't be the very influential person he is today if he wasn't an actor. I doubt most well-known people would be as influential as they are without being well-known.

I agree with several other posters, if Mary is good enough for the organizers and creators (whatever such people are called) of WEF, what is the problem?

nwinther
And by the way - I think the Danish Royals should keem their noses out of those forums. Nothing but trouble can come of it.
I totally agree. Since Mary was nominated a Young Global Leader I think it's just polite to attend an annual meeting once. But I hope she won't involve herself as much as the Norwegian CP couple.

The WEF was once described as the meeting of "fat cats in the snow" (assuring each other how important they are). And Mary - as the wife of a future king - certainly is a "fat cat", so of course she has every right to be there. :)
But please, Mary, don't spend too much time on something that has the air of elitarism (which is totally against Danish mentality, I was told) and inefficiency. And at the same time can be seen as too political.
You can make much more difference with the projects of The Mary Foundation - although this may only be national and not global leadership.

Last edited:
What did you mean by this?
I meant that we hear about the WEF mostly because the famous people involved there. If they´d only choose accomplished but unknown members we wouldn´t be even having this discussion.
I didn´t mean this Internet forum, if that´s what you understand. I think I should clarify that point.
What do you even mean by that? Have you personally IQ tested Mary since you can say with such certainty that she isn't very intelligent?

No, I haven´t.
Have you, to prove the contrary?:flowers:

reply to Annie

Originally Posted by ANNIE_S
And not especially intelligent either, IMO. I think her capacity is quite average, as is Mette Marit´s, or Angelina Jolie´s, to be honest. None of them has a previous preparation that justifies this kind of distinction. I don´t know very much about Maxima career before getting married, but a first sight she would look as the only one of the current CP´s that has a previous adequate background, and still I don´t think they have chosen her for her career.
----------------------------------------------------

Most people working for UNHCR or WHO or WEF are inexperienced until they learn about the issues. The Crown Princesses who take on these Patronages learn all about the issues affecting the various charities they represent. They all make substantial visits to countries to highlight problems that are in desperate need for financial help.
As for Mary not being especially intelligent as you say. May I quote from a High Court Judge who was Chairman of the Danish Refugee Council who accompanied Mary on a six day trip to Uganda in 2008.

Stig Glent-Madsen said; "I am deeply deeply impressed!" on the effort Crown Princess Mary put in during the trip. Ït is not at all the case that the Crown Princess merely plays a part. She is genuinely engaged with the people she sees and speaks with. I cannot imagine a better representative of Denmark." She arrived very well prepared during each part of the trip.
He goes on to say a lot more.

My point is that the WEF would not have invited someone not too bright to be their patron when they have so many others to chose from. Danish Politicians wouold not back her fully if she was not too intelligent either.

I do hope you get my point. cheers

Whithout charity or social engagements royals would be jobless. Without a job no justification for the existance of royal houses. As simply as that. It doesn't matter whether or not royal family members are intelligent or believe in what they are doing. All they need is to give the people the impression that you are doing some good stuff and make sure that newspapers pictures you with a smiling demour regal looking face.

Especially Mary was never an adventurer when accepting new projects. She was and is always on the safe side. In that sense Mary is actually quite a boring royal. A hard worker for the royal cause maybe yes. But still a boring hard worker. Her presence at the forum will be a nice shot but no more.

No, I haven´t.
Have you, to prove the contrary?:flowers:

Well I'm not the one who said she's not intelligent, however I haven't said she's a genius either because wherefrom should I know? I just think it's a fairly harsh judgement to make on someone you don't know personally, but maybe that's just me ;)

Well I'm not the one who said she's not intelligent, however I haven't said she's a genius either because wherefrom should I know? I just think it's a fairly harsh judgement to make on someone you don't know personally, but maybe that's just me ;)

No, it isn't just you.

To claim something about someone, without being able to back that up with something substancial and then when challenged, ask your oponents to disprove what you claim - that's a shallow argument in any debate.

It's the way some gossip magazines use. Claim something and then ask the victims to use time and energy to prove them wrong.

You can do better, Annie_S.

Come on!
None of us know how intelligent Mary is. Suffice to say she is not stupid by any reasonable standard. So let's move on from this intelligence nonsense, shall we?

No, it isn't just you.

To claim something about someone, without being able to back that up with something substancial and then when challenged, ask your oponents to disprove what you claim - that's a shallow argument in any debate.

It's the way some gossip magazines use. Claim something and then ask the victims to use time and energy to prove them wrong.

You can do better, Annie_S.

Come on!
None of us know how intelligent Mary is. Suffice to say she is not stupid by any reasonable standard. So let's move on from this intelligence nonsense, shall we?

Well, I don´t think I´m the most brilliant person on this world, but I know when I have to move on. I don´t have any interest on making this uglier, believe it or not.

I didn´t expect answers like these, I may be wrong, but I don´t think any of my arguments were so offensive. If they sounded like that, I´m sorry, that wasn´t my intention, and I tried to explain them better, in fact.

Should have known better, though.

Last edited:
Especially Mary was never an adventurer when accepting new projects. She was and is always on the safe side. In that sense Mary is actually quite a boring royal. A hard worker for the royal cause maybe yes. But still a boring hard worker. Her presence at the forum will be a nice shot but no more.
First of all, Mary did not only accept new projects but initiated them.
Second, I don't think royals have to be adventurous. They should support projects or deal with problems that matter in their country/society. The Mary Foundation deals with Bullying, Domestic + Relationship Violence, Loneliness. You may find that boring, others don't.
Third, please tell me about the adventurous/un-safe projects of the other crown princesses. Then I can perhaps understand why "especially Mary .... was and is always on the safe side"

This entire thread has become ridiculous. I'm not saying that because I defend Mary to the last or anything like that-it's just really strange that an announcement that she's attending a conference - a meeting between people discussing ideas - has prompted claims about her intelligence, the supposed "fat cats" of the organization, and how no one should ever do anything because it brings too much trouble.

Wow - people can't agree on problems, on how to solve them, or whether even to try. I'm not surprised.

Well, I don´t think I´m the most brilliant person on this world, but I know when I have to move on. I don´t have any interest on making this uglier, believe it or not.

I didn´t expect answers like these, I may be wrong, but I don´t think any of my arguments were so offensive. If they sounded like that, I´m sorry, that wasn´t my intention, and I tried to explained them better, in fact.

Yes, let's move on.

Otherwise we will use the next five pages defining "not particular intelligent" - and having arguments about that.
For your info, I will normally define "nor particular intelligent" as at best "of average intelligence" or slightly above. That may explain the reaction to your post.

Last edited:

I didn´t expect answers like these, I may be wrong, but I don´t think any of my arguments were so offensive. If they sounded like that, I´m sorry, that wasn´t my intention, and I tried to explain them better, in fact.

Why did it even have to get ugly in the first place? Mary was invited, she accepted. She has done some wonderful work in her own country and well as abroad. I am all for anyone if they can in anyway help anyone whether they be a celebrity, Jo Schmo or a royal. Some just cannot help themselves. They just have to cut someone down and not see the good they have done and are still trying to do.:whistling:

A brief description on the event
kongehuset.dk

For all the work the Mary foundation has done and is doing, the involvement Mary has and the work she does, I personally don't see why this is an issue for her being there. She has worked for it, she has created a very positive name for the foundation. Some have stated that she only got there because of her position, thats 50% true but also her work for the foundation she did for them to recognise her.

Last edited:
Whithout charity or social engagements royals would be jobless. Without a job no justification for the existance of royal houses. As simply as that. It doesn't matter whether or not royal family members are intelligent or believe in what they are doing. All they need is to give the people the impression that you are doing some good stuff and make sure that newspapers pictures you with a smiling demour regal looking face.

Hi Naggi - I can't agree that CP Mary is "quite a boring royal".

Being Tasmanian myself, though a different generation, I know where CP Mary has come from, and I am still amazed by what she now does, and how she has had to grow and develop over the last decade of her life. Nothing in Tasmania would have prepared her for her Danish life and the expectations required of her.

She has made an unbelievable transformation - and without putting a foot wrong.

Earlier today I was looking at some very old photos of her early days with CP Frederick, and could still see the not only Australian, but the Tasmanian, girl.

In photos from the last few years though, I can't detect that aspect of her - she now seems so European to me, and completely one with her formal role and public life.

I hope she goes from strength to strength on the International stage - young women need to see more positive examples of female accomplishment than the usual pop-singers, models or actresses.

(As for "always being on the safe side", she was quite open and frank in Mozambique recently regarding sexual matters according to reports.)

At least we agree she is hardworking - and this I think has been the key to her now being where she is, and will enable her to go further.

Cheers, Sun Lion. :sun:

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures Princess Luna and polyesco :flowers:

So great to see pictures of Mary being there, she looks lovely and elegant.

IMO there's plenty of evidence that Mary is intelligent. She was able to attend and do well at university. In the documentary that was made prior to her marriage to Frederik she was described as talented and a hard worker by former employers. She was thoughtful and articulate speaking in English in that same documentary and certainly in the translations that have been provided here over the years of her marriage she seems pretty sharp. More than one person who's worked with her has commented on how knowledgeable she was on the subject they were working on, and how easily she was able to recall details regarding the work.

She's not a genius but she's smart enough that she won't be out of her depth with with the people at Davos, the majority of whom aren't geniuses either. :)

Time to end the intelligence discussion and to get back to the topic of this thread! Thanks!

There is a small report in the UK's "The Telegraph", from journalist Emma Rowley, about her sharing CP Mary's lunch table, and not realising who she was at first.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Wow. Tons of comments. No disrespect meant. I think she is a hard worker. I just always got the impression her interests lie in feign and fashion. I know, though, she has spoken out against bullying.

Thanks for the Telegraph info Sun Lion I looked it up, and it was just a small piece. Pity we don't have better pics from the forum at Davos, but then journos may be restricted from taking too many photos.

Wow. Tons of comments. No disrespect meant. I think she is a hard worker. I just always got the impression her interests lie in feign and fashion. I know, though, she has spoken out against bullying.

That could apply to many:flowers: You can enjoy fashion and fun but still be involved in more serious endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom