Crown Princess Mary as Patron of The Danish Refugee Council (DRC): 2005 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the official website of crown princess Mary, she will go and visit Uganda from 28 september to 4 october.
She will visit this country as the patron of the Danish Refugee council.

Hope we'll have soon all the details about this trip!!

I hope this trip will get some press coverage than the visit to Bulgaria. Good to see her work going abroad in such events. Looking forward to it.

Does Denmark have a large population of refugees from Uganda, or is she on a good-will visit?

Does Denmark have a large population of refugees from Uganda, or is she on a good-will visit?
According to their website the Danish Refugee Council's work is not just within Denmark. They work with refugees in many of the world's trouble spots in relief work, reconstruction and resettling displaced persons. At the moment they are active in about 20 countries. They also send professional relief workers to work with United Nations in identified focus areas.

I can't belive she is visiting Uganda, it will an unique visit! I'am sure this visit will have a lot of press coverage of course, this is a unique visit, different from all other visits and from all other Patronages she has, I'am sure the press will be in every step she makes!I also hope that Mary chose mucht more "modest" clothes than she uses to dress:whistling:.....

I also hope that Mary chose mucht more "modest" clothes than she uses to dress:whistling:.....

I'm sure she will, aside from the practicalities of it, it would be a substanitial faux pas to dress inapproproately given the purpose of the visit.

One question:
The Danish refugee council doesn't have anything to do with the Danish people? The refugees doesn't necessary have to be realted to Danish people? I think not...

One question:
The Danish refugee council doesn't have anything to do with the Danish people? The refugees doesn't necessary have to be realted to Danish people? I think not...

No, relationship to Danes isn't needed.

What are the Integration Prizes? Does this have to do with immigration?

What are the Integration Prizes? Does this have to do with immigration?

The Integration Awards honours to companies, municipalities, enthusiasts etc... which have made an special efforts for integration. Also
The integration Ministry supports the honours and a jury chooses the nominatees as well as the winners of each year's prizes.

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers:

The event Mary attended was very appropriate for this day, the Flag Day (see Joachim and Marie thread). I.e. the plight of refugees.

Mary visited a family of refugees in Viborg. They were from Rwanda and the mother was pregnant with twins when she had to flee as such she gave birth two months premature. Her husband had taken in four more children, as is common among many refugees, not least in Africa.
She had lunch with the family and had a chat with them.

Mary also visited a number of youths who tried to live as refugees for about 24 hours in order to get a glimpse of what life for a refugee is.

Looked like a great experience to listen & talk to the refuges & to know what they went through. ITs nice seeing the crown princess visit them and have lunch with them as well.
How long did the visit last?

Looked like a great experience to listen & talk to the refuges & to know what they went through. ITs nice seeing the crown princess visit them and have lunch with them as well.

With the refugees? About an hour, accoding to what she said herself.
Mary said, when she said goodbye that it had been a pleasant hour with them - the refugees.

I notice that she was wearing the fat penquin, which is wearing quite often. One purpose of that particular piece of jewely is to think about those who are less fortunate. I'm sure the resident jewelry experts can say much more. :)

Google Translate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

14:00 HRH arrives in Bjergsnæsskolen where she meets schoolchildren who have experienced what it is like to live in a refugee camp.

15:00 HRH arrives in the Volunteer House. HRH meets a Congolese refugee family and their Danish contact family.

16:00 HRH arrives in Kunsthal Brænderigården, where she opens an auction with a surplus of Project World Refugee - Viborg 2010th

18:00 HRH arrives in DDH, where she is guest at a dinner with Ove Klock as host.

19:55 HRH arrives in Viborg Theater, where she will attend a gala performance with particular Ghita Nørby og Svenn Skipper samt Bent Melchior. Ghita Nørby and Svenn Skipper and Bent Melchior. HRH hands over at the celebration performance a gift to Project World's Refugees - Viborg 2010th

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Binz.
Mary looks lovely
This was a busy programme, I love Mary's involvement in her partonages.

The following article from BB includes several great pics of yesterday's
event, including some of the event in the evening at the Viborg theatre.

** Pic ** Gravid Mary knokler for kongehuset **

If you browse through the gallery you'll also find pics of other events last
week, not related to The Danish Refugee Council of course - it's an article
with an overview of her recent activities..

That is indeed a lovely gallery of yesterdays & past events. Mary looked lovely at the night event though I didn't realize there was going to be one.

She looked beautiful at both events.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #36, 2010.
Mary gav sin bryllupsgave til flygtninge - Mary have her wedding present to refugees.
Written by Ken Richter.

M&F were presented with a gift cerificate for 50.000 to use in shops in Viborg. (*) And now that certificate or rather the amount went to refugees: "Two years ago I visited refugees in Uganda. So I have seen with my own eyes how even small amounts can make a big difference. That's why I believe it's appropriate that I hand over the wedding present we got from Viborg Handel = trade association to the refugees is four villages in Liberia".
That was applauded by those present in Viborg Theatre where this took place.

Mary spend the whole day in Viborg, where a million DKK has been collected for the benefit of refugees in Liberia.
She started out by visiting Bjergneæsskolen, the 150 pupils there from 9. and 10 grade had lived for 48 hours like refugees. Learning how to cope with not being fed adequately, don't know what time it is, don't know what will happen and having nothing to do - just waiting.
Mary said: "The pupils experienced what it means to be a refugee, with lots of uncertainties and hunger. It's also incredible that they after just a few hours without a watch lost the sense of time, so I'm certaing they saw their own lives in perspective and that they in the future will have a big understanding for it means to refugees".

Then she visited the House of Volunteers and met a family of refugees from Congo, eight in total, who had been refugees in Rwanda for tvelve years before ending up in a village near Viborg.
Mary said: "They have fought a hard struggle and lived under a big psycological pressure. It was a big experience to hear about their life and the journey to Denmark. It was enriching to hear about the Danish contact family which teach the refugees about Danish culture and new values. Let's have more of that". (**) Jeanine and Paul Nkubana have six children, all born in refugee camps. She added: "The children are doing well at school and have Danish friends. The big boys are also good at playing soccer". (***)

Mary was asked when they will move in at Amalienborg and she replied: "We will move later this year. - Hopefully".
Ken Richter (****) explains that the huge success in people wishing to see the palais has been wearing the floors, so they need a make over and they still have to furnish their new homes as practically all furniture they have at present in Kancellihuset will remain there as they plan to spend the summers at Fredensborg.

(*) There has been some annoyance from the locals in Viborg that M&F haven't used that cerificate yet. But if you live most of the time in Copenhagen then I guess you don't go to Viborg very often. Viborg being located in north central Jutland. You really have to have a purpose for going to that town. Even those of us who live in Eastern Jutland don't go there often. The town is slightly out of the way, so to speak.

(**) I understand that a contact family is not common practise.

(***) This success story in regards to integration is in my opinion very much dependant on the refugees themselves, naturally, but more so because they are integrated into a small community as a village is. Being the strangers, they have to do more to be integrated and they are surrounded by more people with surplus enough to help them to integrate.
That is in contrast to the major cities, especially if they end up in a ghetto. Also the more countrymen they have nearby the higher the tendency is, very naturally, to mingle with them, rather then being forced into mingling with ethnic Danes.
In a village, if you mingle and integrate with the locals you become part of the tribe. On the other hand if you don't mingle, you are out and it can be very lonely in a village!
That doesn't apply just to foreigners mind you, but to all outsiders. We live ourselves in a large village not that far from where Mrs. Muhler grew up. That means that among many locals who know her, I'm first and foremost known as Mrs. Muhler's husband and that will most likely be the case for the next 20-30 years. :p So some locals wanted to have a closer look at me to see who it was she had dragged home with her before I was fully accepted. :lol:

(****) Ken Richter is a reporter in the sense that he doesn't speculate much, so his articles are pretty reliable.

Crown Princess Mary has visited the Danish Refugee Council Centre in Odense
today, November 3, 2010. She was shown how the DRC teaches it's students
the Danish language.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** fyens.dk: Mary til sprogundervisning i Odense ** gallery **

(if you scroll down there also are some videos)

** fyens.dk: Kronprinsessen i Lærdansk-quiz ** gallery **

** fyens.dk: Kronprinsessen på skolebænken ** gallery **

** tv2fyn.dk article with pics: Kronprinsesse Mary kom til Odense **

Last edited:
I love the detail on this shirt: http://images.fyens.dk/84/894284_750_496_0_0_0_0.jpg

http://images.fyens.dk/89/894289_750_496_0_0_0_0.jpg

http://images.fyens.dk/90/894290_750_496_0_0_0_0.jpg

Awww such a big and healthy bump: http://images.fyens.dk/91/894291_750_496_0_0_0_0.jpg

http://images.fyens.dk/72/894272_750_496_0_0_0_0.jpg

She looked just beautiful, I really love the top, the fabric looks amazing and it looks very comfortable for a pregnant woman.

I also think the cause is really great!

I think it's great of Mary to support this organization when refugees are facing hardships in today's world. It says a lot when she visits and shows genuine interest.:flowers:

Mary was really beautiful and happy and people too but one thing that little disturbed me was the woman on one picture - showing directly to Mary's bump...

Don't no why but it seems just little creepy... or maybe I'm just raised up with knowing that it's not polite to show directly to bump or maybe I'm just superstitious...

But yes, it was Creepy...

I meant that picture
http://images.fyens.dk/84/894284_750_496_0_0_0_0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom