Crown Princess Mary and The Mary Foundation : 2007 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Iceflower and Muhler :flowers:

A good article from BT - with a video:
Kronprinsesse Mary til teenagere: Vi skal tale mere om vores følelser - Royale | www.bt.dk

HQ pictures from BT:
http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/file...cerer-nyt-undervisningsforlb-i-live-talks.jpg
http://img.kaloo.ga/thumb?url=http:...92bfc37db9a17397af5e&method=fit&size=1440x720

Mary was after the launch of 'Kærligt Talt' interviewed by BT:

Why Do you think we are so bad at talking about feelings?

"That's a good question," Crown Princess Mary thinks a little before she continues. "I don't know what the answer is because we all are individuals, and some are better at verbalize feelings than others. Therefore, the exercises and the talkshow helps to stimulate everyone to get along. That they acknowledge inside that this I would like to do something about. But also to get the tools to learn how to express how you really feel. It is a very important quality to have, to be able to verbalize your feelings. Both now and in the future," Crown Princess Mary explained to BT after the launch of 'Kærligt Talt'.

The Mary Foundation's new initiative 'Kærligt Talt' is aimed at teenagers in the 8th-10th class in primary school.

"The hope with 'Kærligt Talt' is that the 1 to 2 students who sit in each class and become victims of dating violence are going to avoid violence. But in general, it is about that all of the classes will get some tools to deal with the difficult emotions and situations. But also that 'Kærligt Talt' can help to strengthen their relationships and community," explained Mary before she drowe back home to Amalienborg.

Just watched the afternoon news at TV2 which covered the Mary Foundation launch today. So good chances of more in tonight main news at 7pm.

Last edited:
What a very important initiative!
Good for Mary and all those involved.

Mary got a long coverage on the TV2 news tonight at 19.00. And here she was praised to the skies by the various organizations she has worked with, for her personal dedication and involvement.

Hopefully a the clip will surface here eventually.

ADDED:

A BB video: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...ary-meget-vigtigt-man-kan-saette-ord-paa-sine

From 0:25
"Being able to words to your feelings is very important skill to have here and now and in the future.

I think every single story makes an impression so you can't take one out from another but common to all of them is that they are in an impossible situation and don't know how they ended up there.

That it provides a knowledge for them there there is a way out from there".

A part of the project is a kind of talk-show dealing with the issues of abuse in the relationships and the feelings that are a part of it. - And that is why why I put so much space between the sentences, because Mary was obviously responding to questions that we don't hear. (You could do better on that one BB!)

I have as far as possible translated as close to what Mary said as possible. Interestingly her accent was more pronounced today, while her grammar was flawless.

Last edited:
Thanhs, Duke of M.

Nice that Daily Mail for once focus on what Mary is doing, rather than what she is wearing.

And we see Caroline Heering as well. As she works in the Mary Foundation she always attends the events too.

Mary got a long coverage on the TV2 news tonight at 19.00. And here she was praised to the skies by the various organizations she has worked with, for her personal dedication and involvement.

Hopefully a the clip will surface here eventually.

(...)

Yes we have been lucky with her.

I've thought about it a for some time now and tonight's clip in the main news at TV2 showed it again.
The Queen is our Queen in every way and very respected, but the Crown Prince Couple are now very large, respected and well covered profiles in Denmark as well. The Crown Prince Couple's events is very often well covered in the national main tv-news as well in the online media. Much more than the Queen's. Because they reach out to the more common Danes in a new and different way than the Queen. Which is only natural since she is from a different generation.

While we still have a very sharp Queen it is now very clear how much Frederik and Mary takes (and already has taken) over as top profiles for the DRF. (According to the latest Gallup survey F&M is now also the two most popular members of the DRF: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/prins-henrik-er-blevet-mere-populaer) While Margrethe never abdicates she without a doubt sees this too and you just have to look at her near F&M to see her pride. It's a good and naturally way to do it IMO.

Although I certainly also can see the benefits of doing like in the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain.

DR article:
Mary Fonden vil forebygge vold hos unge kærester | Nyheder | DR

The Mary Foundation's has posted a little video from today's launch at the Facebook site:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=890484827666107&set=vb.159000594147871&type=2&theater

For giving a example of how well the projects in the Mary Foundation is established in the Danish society: The project's reaches out to thousands of Danes' everyday life. Danish children simply grows up with projects in their schools which their Crown Princess has launched. From 'Free of Bullying' in their kindergartens and elementary schools to the projects about loneliness and violence when they reach the high schools to the grown up battered women and their associated problems in the Danish crisis centers. And therefore we are also almost guaranteed good coverage in the national news every time Mary has an event with the Mary Foundation.

Today Crown Princess Mary and the Mary Foundation's new project 'Kærligt Talt' was covered in the news at 16.00, at 17.00, at 18.00, in the main news at 19.00, in the late news at 21:30 (the late news at 22.00 has not been shown yet)

Last edited:
I agree with you, Roskilde.

M&F have practiced taking over for ten years now and the transition is almost complete, in the sense that they are ready.
Ready personally and ready in the eyes of the public. I refer to various surveys where an increasing number believe M&F should take over now. Not because people are displeased with QMII, on the contrary! But because people find that M&F are ready and that QMII deserve to retire. - I happen to believe that too, for the very simple reason that people live longer now, so that CP-couples in this century can expect to be in their 60's or 70's before they become monarchs themselves.

Another matter is that M&F are in their 40's. The age where you take over. They are in their prime and both are now very experienced and settled in their roles. And that is reflected in their coverage IMO.

A third thing is that for those in the 20's and early 30's, not to mention the teenagers, M&F are the primary royals. They grew up and matured alongside M&F, so naturally that age group focus mainly on M&F.

But crucially, it's personality. You'd be forgiven for thinking Mary was born a royal, just like the late Queen Ingrid with whom she is so often compared. And just like Queen Ingrid some may dislike her, or envy her if you like, for basically being too perfect but very few question her suitability.
That too IMO is reflected in the coverage she is getting.

I wonder how close Mary and her new lady-in-waiting are... I don't think Christine is as much a friend of Mary's as Tanja or Caroline were (did they know each other before they started working together?), on the other hand I was surprised to see Christine wearing a blouse we saw on Mary in 2011 & 2012: Partnerarrangement 2012 | MaryFonden.dk

It could also be a coincidence of course, it's a Zara blouse which means that a lot of women will have this one in their closet :)

Am I right that Maryfonden mainly works around isolation and violence in the Danish family atmosphere? They're doing a very good job, very professional with a lot of input from experts and Mary as the "face" of the Foundation.

I wonder how close Mary and her new lady-in-waiting are... I don't think Christine is as much a friend of Mary's as Tanja or Caroline were (did they know each other before they started working together?), on the other hand I was surprised to see Christine wearing a blouse we saw on Mary in 2011 & 2012: Partnerarrangement 2012 | MaryFonden.dk

It could also be a coincidence of course, it's a Zara blouse which means that a lot of women will have this one in their closet :)

The woman wearing the Zara blouse is not the LIW/Secretary. It's Helle Ostergaard, Director of Mary Fonden. She usually attends the Mary Fonden events.

Tanja and Caroline were friends with Mary before they started to work for her. Mary and Christine Pii Hansen started to work together about 3 months ago. They might have met before but I don't think they are "close" at this point. But who knows, maybe they know each other better than we think.

Last edited:
Am I right that Maryfonden mainly works around isolation and violence in the Danish family atmosphere? They're doing a very good job, very professional with a lot of input from experts and Mary as the "face" of the Foundation.

Yes, very much so. Especially among the younger people.

And I'd say it works. Certainly in regards to loneliness.
It's no longer a taboo to step out into the public glare and say: "I'm lonely".

That is evident by a couple of examples from the main news on TV within the past few months that I recall off hand.
One, a girl who around twelve years old, who went to school in an ordinary seemingly well-functioning class with no bullying. Yet she felt lonely. Her classmates hadn't noticed because she was just a quiet girl. AFAIK it didn't backfire on her. Her classmates just became aware of it and from that a news segment for others to follow was made.

Another example was a man in his 40's I think. He was active in a multitude of organizations, yet he was lonely. Basically he was involved in so much to prevent him from sitting at home - alone.

- Mary was not mentioned in any of these segments. Yet, I include them here because the Mary Foundation helped open this debate and make the wider public aware of it.
And as such made it easier for people to step forward.

Thanks Muhler, very interesting! It's especially interesting to see that the Foundation does seem to have an impact on the "ordinary Dane" and everyday life, rather than being a prestigeous organisation that merely provides grants to projects. Nice work!

The woman wearing the Zara blouse is not the LIW/Secretary. It's Helle Ostergaard, Director of Mary Fonden. She usually attends the Mary Fonden events.

Tanja and Caroline were friends with Mary before they started to work for her. Mary and Christine Pii Hansen started to work together about 3 months ago. They might have met before but I don't think they are "close" at this point. But who knows, maybe they know each other better than we think.

LOL, you're right! I guess I'm not used to seeing Mary's new lady-in-waiting around yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
BB is spoiling it's readers this week!
Not only are the DRF very well covered, we also get to see a couple of the official photos to be published on Nikolai's B-day and Josephine's fashion choices are covered as well. Oh yes. :lol:

Anyway, summary of article in Billed Bladet #35, 2015.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Mary presented the new initiative "Kærligt talt = said frankly but lovingly" that is to be a part of the general teaching at schools and it covers abuse within (younger) relationships.
As such Mary went to Guldberg School in Copenhagen, where she was received warmly by the pupils who had lined up.
Here she gave a speech and said: "Violence against women and in relationships is among the most serious problems in a global perspective. To put it into perspective she told the pupils that in each class (of some 20-25) one or two will before they turn 24 end up in a violent relationship.
Mary emphasized the message from the Mary Foundation that violence is never the way forward - nor in a relationship between two who love each other.
She then sat down with a number of 9th graders.
And here she met fifteen year old Emilie Becker, who cried at Mary's shoulder. She said afterwards: "I've been through so much. Psychological abuse at school. It's so cool that Mary is doing something about this (*). It's cool that she puts focus on the problems of the young". She had come here from a town quite a distance away with her parents to listen to Mary.

Mary said to our reporter: "It's important to get close to the young people and it naturally means a lot to us to experience that we do make a difference".

The Mary Foundation and the Ministry of Education work alongside a number of well known public faces, like a TV-host but also a dancer, Silas Holst, who himself has been in an abusive relationship and written a book about. Together they are going to create and air a talk show that will take up the problems within relationships and perhaps offer advise. (Semi-fossilized Danes like myself may recall the radio show P4 that was aired on Sundays. I can imagine it's akin to the advise Trine Bryld offered the young listeners).

(*) I have a tremendous respect for QMII but I find it very difficult to imagine anyone crying in the arms of her. It simply wouldn't feel right. It wouldn't be natural. QMII is older and she is also more aloof in a royal way, which is typical of her generation.
With Mary and Frederik and indeed the royal generation they belong to it to me at least seem more natural. They deal with issues that are very much on the mind of teens and the 20'somethings and I imagine that is one of the reasons M&F so very much are their royals and why they are so popular, especially among the younger.
I'm older, it wouldn't be so natural to me to cry let alone confide to M&F and as such QMII is the main royal of my generation. If you get what I mean.
Please correct me if I'm completely off the mark Roskilde, Archduchess Zelia and FasterB. :)

(*) I have a tremendous respect for QMII but I find it very difficult to imagine anyone crying in the arms of her. It simply wouldn't feel right. It wouldn't be natural. QMII is older and she is also more aloof in a royal way, which is typical of her generation.
With Mary and Frederik and indeed the royal generation they belong to it to me at least seem more natural. They deal with issues that are very much on the mind of teens and the 20'somethings and I imagine that is one of the reasons M&F so very much are their royals and why they are so popular, especially among the younger.
I'm older, it wouldn't be so natural to me to cry let alone confide to M&F and as such QMII is the main royal of my generation. If you get what I mean.
Please correct me if I'm completely off the mark Roskilde, Archduchess Zelia and FasterB. :)

You said it. They both reach out to the public and Mary in particular engages herself passionately in difficult and often tabooed subjects that are very relevant to especially the younger generation. They truly are the people's Crown Prince and Crown Princess.

And thanks for the summary, Muhler! :flowers:

Today, Crown Princess Mary participates in the Mary Foundation's advisor day:
'Råd til Livets' rådgiverdag 2015 - Kongehuset

On the 'Advise for life' advisor day the Crown Princess will hold a speech, and in addition there will be presentations by women who themselves have been abused.

The Mary Foundation's 'Advice for Life' is free advices to women who have been exposed, for example, physical and psychological violence. The women receive free and impartial financial, social and legal advice from the professionals who help them back on the track.

One aim of the project is to break down taboos about violence in relationships that are not only expressed as physical violence. Financial abuse is when the economy is used as leverage to keep the woman in the relationship. In these instances, financial and legal advisors help the women to get an overview of their finances and supports them on the road to stand on their own feet.

'Advice for Life' was launched in February 2009 by the Mary Foundation in cooperation with Mothers Help, the Organization of Women Centre (LOKK), Nykredit, Østifterne and a number of law firms. Since then, the 'Advise for life' has helped around 2,776 women and a few men.

The advice is given at Mødrehjælpen's departments and 18 shelters around the country.

Thanks, Roskilde.

And here is the first picture of Mary arriving: Kronprinsesse Mary lyttede til rådgivere | billedbladet.dk

Råd til livet = (something like) being able to afford to live, offer economical counseling for women who have left an abusive relationship and now have to start on their own with a new life. Sometimes literally not having any more than what they quickly threw into a suitcase. So they have to start all over again with everything.
In some, quite a few cases actually, not least among immigrants, such women have not been used to handle the day to day economy apart from going down to a supermarket to buy necessities.
Such things as paying rent, insurance, heating and so on is new to them, because typically in an abusive relationship the husband makes sure he is in control over the money.
In some cases women discover they more or less unwittingly have signed up for loans and suddenly find themselves in a deep personal debt.

So far 2.700 women have received financial counseling from the Mary Foundation via Råd til livet.

Last edited:
Such an important topic.
Finance is so often use to keep someone under abuse and control.

Thanks Muhler,

The Mary Foundation's advisor meeting was internally - maybe that's why we haven't gotten better coverage from today's event.

A pity, would have liked to hear more.

Picture of Mary arriving:
http://img.kaloo.ga/thumb?url=http:...2e8c30f20ff9dceea14f&method=fit&size=1440x720

MaryFonden has published a nice large group picture from today's advisor day:
http://www.maryfonden.dk/files/styl...15_Mary_Fonden_Raad_t_Liv_288-Edit-Edit_0.jpg :flowers:

"It means the world to meet competent, open-minded and warm people who support when violence leaves a human being in chaos. I now have met a number of women who have received help in the 'Advice for Life'. They all have their own history, but one thing is going again: An infinite gratitude that people like You focus on their opportunities and are willing to spend time and effort to support them to make the best choices in their difficult situation."

:previous: Crown Princess Mary today as she thanked the many advisers in 'Advice for Life' on the year's Advisor Day.

Here can you read Mary's entire speech:
Rådgiverdagen 2015 | MaryFonden.dk

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! How does she always manage to look so good in an effortless way. I can't even manage to look that good on good day. However, I have learnt a lot about fashion since following HRH on these forums.

Today, Crown Princess Mary participates in the Mary Foundation's advisor day:
'Råd til Livets' rådgiverdag 2015 - Kongehuset

On the 'Advise for life' advisor day the Crown Princess will hold a speech, and in addition there will be presentations by women who themselves have been abused.

The Mary Foundation's 'Advice for Life' is free advices to women who have been exposed, for example, physical and psychological violence. The women receive free and impartial financial, social and legal advice from the professionals who help them back on the track.

One aim of the project is to break down taboos about violence in relationships that are not only expressed as physical violence. Financial abuse is when the economy is used as leverage to keep the woman in the relationship. In these instances, financial and legal advisors help the women to get an overview of their finances and supports them on the road to stand on their own feet.

'Advice for Life' was launched in February 2009 by the Mary Foundation in cooperation with Mothers Help, the Organization of Women Centre (LOKK), Nykredit, Østifterne and a number of law firms. Since then, the 'Advise for life' has helped around 2,776 women and a few men.

The advice is given at Mødrehjælpen's departments and 18 shelters around the country.

The Mary Foundation has posted pictures from the meeting by Steen Brogaard:

http://www.maryfonden.dk/files/styl...O_20150915_Mary_Fonden_Raad_t_Liv_12-Edit.jpg
http://www.maryfonden.dk/files/styl...O_20150915_Mary_Fonden_Raad_t_Liv_75-Edit.jpg
http://www.maryfonden.dk/files/styl...O_20150915_Mary_Fonden_Raad_t_Liv_27-Edit.jpg
http://www.maryfonden.dk/files/styl..._20150915_Mary_Fonden_Raad_t_Liv_222-Edit.jpg
http://www.maryfonden.dk/files/styl...0915_Mary_Fonden_Raad_t_Liv_288-Edit-Edit.jpg
http://www.maryfonden.dk/files/styl..._20150915_Mary_Fonden_Raad_t_Liv_339-Edit.jpg
http://www.maryfonden.dk/files/styl..._20150915_Mary_Fonden_Raad_t_Liv_378-Edit.jpg

Full gallery:
Rådgiverdag 2015 | MaryFonden.dk

:previous: Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

Here is more from BB: Kronprinsesse Mary: Flere børn skal have det godt | billedbladet.dk

As you know the Free From Bullying concept implemented widely in DK, was inspired by an Australian programme.
The Danish version has been spread to a number of countries, who have modified the concept to suit the local problems and cultures.

Today was the first time there was an international seminar for all the countries that have adopted Free From Bullying. Here they will exchange experiences and ideas.

Mary gave the welcoming speech and she said among other: "We are gathered here today, many nationalities, because we have a common obligation - to prevent bullying. We from The Mary Foundation and Save the Children are so pleased that it has ben possible to gather so many, from: Greenland, Estonia, Iceland, Lithuania and the Faroe Islands.
- I hope that the seminar will be interesting and inspiring to you and that it may further your work in order to prevent bullying even more. An environment that is open and accepting leaves room for the individual to thrive - such an environment allow children to be what they are supposed to be - themselves".

The 30 participants in the seminar will later today visit a kindergarten in Copenhagen that has adopted the Free From Bullying concept. - So that'll probably mean pictures.

AFAIK DK schools are obliged to formulate a programme for dealing with bullying, unfortunately not all schools have implemented a dedicated programme like Free From Bullying or something similar.

Thanks Iceflower and Muhler :flowers:

More pictures from the seminar:
http://www.folkeskolen.dk/Images/620/500/6/7/mary-1-jpg
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=e83cb5689a9ca43e8ffdff77fe8dcf15&oe=5693F553
http://www.billedbladet.dk/sites/bi...c/media/article/marymobberi.jpg?itok=VlW7yjte

The Mary Foundation's 'Free Of Bullying' is integrated into both my children's kindergarten and school and it really works. Why I'm not surprised it now also creates international interest.

We have been lucky to get such a Crown Princess.

Information from the Mary Foundation:
"The Mary Foundation's project 'Free of Bullying' was launched in 2007 and since then it has generated international interest because of its approach to combat bullying. This meant that in 2011 we launched the international counterpart 'Free of Bullying' which has helped children in Greenland, Estonia and Iceland with specific tools designed to counteract bullying."

Last edited:
:previous:

It is. And October means autumn holiday and Halloween in Tivoli. Mary attended the Mary Foundation's seminar in Tivoli Congress Center. Therefore the Halloween decoration in the background.

A beautiful sight when Tivoli is decorated:
http://www.tivoli.dk/~/media/images/tivoli/skoler/skoletjenesten/gys-630x410.jpg
http://www.femina.dk/sites/femina.dk/files/legacy/media/15c3770f929c4ee1a9dc02c42c274dbd.jpg
http://www.mollysblog.com/images/stories/tivoli halloween.jpg

Looking in the official calender it now seems like there will be autumn holiday for Mary, Frederik and children. With fits nicely with Christian 10th birthday on next Thursday. And maybe a trip to Halloween-Tivoli? :pumpkin1:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom