Crown Princess Mary and the Danish Home Guard: 2008 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ highpriestess

Only because somebody does the same one like Diana is not called it that she imitate she. Diana was not the first princess she do something like this and Mary will not be the last.

Mary will be Queen one day. Her son will be King. She will need to know this. Also, she may become patron too. This is just another aspect of Danish society she is learning about. Caroline is still her lady in waiting, but only on occassion. She is her private secretary too. I'm sure she was with Mary as liw and they suited her up too. Ladies in waiting often particpate in the same event. If she ever does hold a military position it will be honorary. To my knowledge Alex never did this, but maybe someone more familiar with Alex will know for sure. But Mary outranks her, and her children and husband will inherit the throne. Alex's will not unless there is some major problem or event.

It looks like basic survival military training to me (CPR, learning to handle a weapon) and I think it's great. I don't think she's trying to imitate anyone.

I must say CPss Mary looked good in the uniform. And it is great that she is doing this training for the country and for herself. I am sure that she will learn a lot of self defence stuff and emergency first aid that can be useful anytime at home or outside anywhere. The training is tough and I feel that she is very brave.
I remember the consort of King Jordan, Queen Rania in military uniform some time back.
Well, who knows other Crown Princesses may follow suit? :)

Last edited:
@ highpriestess

Only because somebody does the same one like Diana is not called it that she imitate she. Diana was not the first princess she do something like this and Mary will not be the last.

Please enlighten me: Which other crown princesses - I mean the wife of the heir, not the heiress to the throne - have done this?

This is obviously something Mary wants to do. She doesn't have to do it. I really don't see anything wrong with it. What does it matter what other CP's are doing? They are all different and unique. Mary's learning good survival skills like CPR and first-aid as someone else has pointed out. Good for her.

Also, she may become patron too

I thought so, too. Perhaps some ceremonial role within the armed services? Who know's.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall is Royal Colonel of 4th Battalion The Rifles, and Commodore-in-Chief of Naval Medical Services.

To my knowledge, and I could be mistaken, HRH serves as a ceremonial figure and has been appointed not through merit but through social standing. This is not uncommon for those women in such positions.

If Mary is to become any kind of ceremonial figurehead or royal patron (?) within the armed services, then at least she has taken a forthright and interactive approach in better understanding the fundamental logistics. An introduction, anyway...

Last edited:
I think it's nice that Mary is becoming part of the Home Guard...its a branch of the military in Denmark that hasn't has the highest profile or regard for sometime. She's just creating awareness, as is the purpouse of any of her engagements.
And i happen to think our Crown Princess looks cool in uniform...:)

I think this is Fantastic! As a Future Queen, Mary has to know about everything, and military service is an important thing to any country.

Article from Hola.com
This article says everyone was surprised with her abilities and capacities.

I think this is a good thing also. What is the Danish press saying about it? Do the danish people think it is a good thing?

I just read a translated article that Mary is doing the actual training and will be an actual member of the homeguard assigned most likely to a Copenhagen unit. She will go through training in increments instead of a week intensive course. She will also participate in a weekend exercise in the future. So from what I gather, its no longer ceremonial but reality now. Good for her. She was always athletic so this should be right up her ally. And the fact that she is doing it for real instead of just for a ceremonial thing is great.

so it is only a week course?

Please enlighten me: Which other crown princesses - I mean the wife of the heir, not the heiress to the throne - have done this?

Does it surprise you that the 'wife of the heir' could take an active interest in this aspect of society? What are your thoughts about the 'husbands of heirs' who usually hold military positions then? :cool:

I just read a translated article that Mary is doing the actual training and will be an actual member of the homeguard assigned most likely to a Copenhagen unit. She will go through training in increments instead of a week intensive course. She will also participate in a weekend exercise in the future. So from what I gather, its no longer ceremonial but reality now. Good for her. She was always athletic so this should be right up her ally. And the fact that she is doing it for real instead of just for a ceremonial thing is great.

Can you post a link for the translated article? If you still have it. :angel:

So, if I understand correctly, HRH will be an actual member of the armed forces, and shall not hold any ceremonial position.

I don't see anything wrong with holding a ceremonial position, though. I agree it's wonderful she's actively participating, though to be a royal figurehead of any arms regiment has long been a tradition in many a European royal houses. Goes with the territory almost.

I note it's concerned exclusively with the defence of sovereign (Danish) territory and is voluntary and unpaid. The honour of protecting one's borders is payment enough, so to speak.

Last edited:
Mary is so awesome. I love that she's doing this. Fred must be so proud to have a wife to take on such a challenge!

Wow, Mary is amazing. Let's hope she does the C chamber alright, would kinda suck if she doesn't. And doesn't injecting Antropin hurt? (Yes, retarded question, I know)

What name is Mary known by as a Private in the Home Guard?

Mary Glucksberg?

Mary Denmark?

Likewise, what surname if any do Frederik and Joachim use with their military ranks?

I think Frederik chooses Henriksen, I read that when he was studying in Harvard, since he had to pick a last name, he picked Frederik Henriksen, and he's been using that whenever he needs a last name. Just like Prince William and Harry use Wales. Perhaps Mary will use Henriksen, or use Donaldson, who knows.

Last edited:
I think Frederik chooses Henriksen, I read that when he was studying in Harvard, since he had to pick a last name, he picked Frederik Henriksen, and he's been using that whenever he needs a last name. Just like Prince William and Harry use Wales. Perhaps Mary will use Henriksen, or use Donaldson, who knows.
what do you mean he pick , does not the royal family had a surname????

They don't, just like the British Royals don't have one, Frederik's full name is Frederik André Henrik Christian and he belongs to House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg AKA The Royal House of Glücksburg, but they don't have a last name...they just belong to a Royal House.

I just know he uses the name
Henriksen.

Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Says when he was studying in Harvard he picked the last name Henriksen, which means he doesn't have one.

She is incredible for doing this, two thumbs up for MARY!

Says when he was studying in Harvard he picked the last name Henriksen, which means he doesn't have one.

He used Hendriksen -- son of Hendrik -- in honor of his father; moreover, he was trying to be anonymous when he was a short term exchange student at Harvard. Unfortunately, people eventually found out, according to Frederik.

Just another slight trivia from the 20/20 news program which did a story entitled Royals Rule back on May 14, 2004 (yes, the same day Frederik married Mary.) Ironic, ain't it.

Last edited:
These pics are really cool! I think it's great to see Mary take part in such an exercise. Margrethe did it too during her time as the Throne Follower, so it's not uncommon in the Danish RF to do this kind of thing :)

Wow, Mary is amazing. Let's hope she does the C chamber alright, would kinda suck if she doesn't. And doesn't injecting Antropin hurt? (Yes, retarded question, I know)
Im curious which article they have used to translate that Mary is going to do this? Yes people who do the full home guard training do the C-chamber and Antrophin exercise, but an article in BT said she was not going to the full training, the full trianing is 256 hours, so far Mary has done an intensive course of 27 hours, and is going to report once more (it is not decided when)

If corurse she might to it but have not seen any article saying she has done it or will do it as part of her intensive course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom