Crown Princely Couple's Working Visit to New York and Boston: October 20-25, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of a number of articles in Billed Bladet #43, 2011.
All very well written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Gala at Hotel Hilton:
It was Mary and Frederik who opened the ball and the other guests applauded them as they went out on the dance floor with Frederik positively beaming.
Here they danced away to: The Way You Make Me Feel.

After which the other guests present joined them. The Finnish President, Tarja Halonen, in particular was very active on the dance floor. The repertoire was varied, from Dancing in the Street to Night and Day.
They probably all felt like moving around a bit as they had been dining for a couple of hours, prior to entering the dance floor.
Mary was wearing a dress by Ole Yde. (*)
Among the other guests were: Apart from the heads of states from the other Nordic countries also Liv Ulmann, Malene and David Belafonte.

There was however also a slight mishap as is almost inevitable at such events. Queen Sonja was standing on an escalator when her dress almost got stuck. Her secretary was helping her, when she slipped and fell backwards almost into the arm of King Harald. The secretary was still lying down, when they reached the top of the escalator and King Harald was finally able to help her on the feet.
Fortunately at appears the secretary wasn’t hurt. https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/KaosPaRulletrappen
And as if that wasn’t enough Queen Silvia was so unfortunate as to spill most of her glass of champagne on her dress. Oh well…

MetLife Stadium:
Frederik was appointed honorary captain for the New York Jets on this his first American football match, so he entered the field along with three players from each team in order to toss the coin. 85.000 spectators looked on.
Frederik isn’t a small guy, but he was nevertheless dwarfed standing next to the players.

While he and Mary were standing next to the field and were being photographed, Frederik suddenly spotted Michael Douglas and called: “Hey Michael”. He went up to Michael Douglas and shook his hand: “Nice to see you again”.
It so happens that they have met several times before and after having chatted for five minutes, they all posed with Michael Douglas' ten year old son, Dylan. Catherine Zeta Jones was also present at the stadium.
Michael Douglas chatted quite a lot with Mary before the match while the VIP lounge was being filled and Frederik was busy tossing coins around.

Michael Douglas told our reporter afterwards: “I got to know the Crown Prince during the year he was in USA and worked for Mondaviawinery in California. I was at the same time in California to film in a movie called: Black Rain, and one day Crown Prince Frederik came visiting. He made a good impression very young as he was. Since back then in 1988 we have met a number of times at different occasions. And I must say that I’m very impressed by the big effort he has done for Denmark. He is a fantastic representative for your country. And Crown Princess Mary is also a quite fantastic woman. It’s the first time I meet her and she impresses me. I think it’s absolutely incredible that she and the Crown Prince already have four children. Well done”.

Memorial Site:
Along with the head of states from the other Nordic countries, Mary and Frederik also laid down a wreath at the Survival Tree. A tree, which miraculously survived after the towers fell. After spending some time outside New York it is now moved back to the Memorial Site.
Frederik said afterwards that it meant incredibly much to him and the Crown Princess to come to the 9/11 Memorial Site in order to show respect for the many who died in the attack. It was an experience he would never forget, he emphasized.

Scandinavia House:
Wearing a dress by Ole Yde, Mary went to Scandinavia House without Frederik, who was in Boston, along with the heads of states of the other Nordic countries.
Here they were to open the Nordic art exhibition Luminous Modernism.
Mary was well received by a number of loud onlookers, who waved to her as she arrived.
It was a pleasant evening, with Mary being among people she knows well. King Harald in particular seems to have a good rapport with Mary.

Bjarke Ingels’ studio:
M&F went to see the new studio of the architect Bjarke Ingels, whom they recently presented an award to in Aarhus.
Mary and Frederik were shown a few of the projects he is working on in New York.
The award he recently won, was hanging from the ceiling in strings and that inspired M&F to goof around a bit. Frederik looked through the award at the Hudson River, Mary did likewise, amusing Bjarke Ingels – so the mood was fine.

Harlem Children’s Zone:
While Frederik was in Boston, Mary visited a school (in Queens I believe). That school is part of a project called Harlem Children’s Zone, which aims to improve the children’s schooling and social terms.
Mary entered a class, which was being teached science and nature with the words: “Hi, everybody”. Here she chatted with the students, who told her about their school, after which Mary took part in an experiment. She was to let go of a car driving down a ramp, and the pupils were to time it and the figure out how fast it drove.
Then the schools cook and a couple of pupils took Mary for a guided tour on the roof, because here was a kitchen garden. Healthy diet is also a part of the programme.

Union Square:
M&F visited the Greenmarket at Union Square, where three Danish chefs, Rene Redzepi and Adam Aamann and Claus Henriksen were preparing samples for passer-by, including M&F. Danish cuisine is being heavily promoted in New York at present. (**)
After that Frederik and an obviously cold Mary (***) strolled around the market.

- An interview with Mary coming up.
Ulrik Ulriksen’s way of writing made it so easy to write a summary.

(*) A dress that is designed to be worn by women, not models. So Mary looked good in it.

(**) Along with Danish art and design. – Also in the hope that New Yorkers will go to DK and be ripped… I mean experience the real thing.

(***) Or perhaps Frederik has bitten her? But alas, and in contrast to Frederik, Mary’s arms are too long for her to reach her pockets in a natural way. – Sorry, simply couldn’t resist….:p

Last edited:
Thank you Iceflower. They certainly seem to be having a good time. I do love the photograph of Prince Frederik wearing the green Jets cap.

Last edited:
Translation of an interview in Billed Bladet #43, 2011.
Hårdt at være væk – Hard to be away.
Interviewer: Ulrik Ulriksen.

Who interviewed Mary on the next to last day of the visit.

Q: How has it been to be away from your children for such a long time?
Mary: “Well, it’s always difficult, but we know they are well and happy and we look forward going home to them and they look forward to seeing us”.

Q: It’s the first time you have been away from the twins for so long, how has it been?
Mary: “It’s true that it has been the first time and it has been harder than expected”.

Q: How have you maintained contact with the children?
Mary: “We have done that by phone”.

Q: You’ve had a very varied schedule here in New York, but what has made the biggest impression on you?
Mary: “Everything here in New York has made a big impression. It’s huge experience to experience the culture and lifestyle here. It has been about everything from healthcare system to IT today here in the Jacob Riis Center, where it’s about social commitment.
Then it has also been about the Nordic kitchen, which was a huge success down at Green Market. We were allowed to show the Americans how we eat and what we eat.
It’s difficult to say what has made the biggest impression, because there has been so much good. There has been so much new to experience and so many new, exciting persons.
And then it’s been nice to see how the Danes are coping in New York. Like Bjarke Ingels for example. It’s excellent. And then also the chef of Noma (a restaurant in DK), Rene Redzepi. It has been a really, really good trip”.

Q: How was it to visit the schoolchildren in Harlem and sample their daily life?
Mary: “You really cannot compare the Danish and the American school system, but the core in their special project is that they on this school in Harlem not only take care of the individual student but also the students family. And lifts the entire family and thus help lifting the whole community.
They have simple done a terrific piece of work with the project Harlem Children’s Zone.
That part about experiencing the dedicated children in the classroom was good. They could perhaps tell more about physics we ourselves could today. It was really a lovely experience. Everything I experience here inspires me”.

Q: There was a big gala at Hilton Hotel, where you had the opportunity to meet the Scandinavian-American community in New York. How was that?
Mary: “It was really huge. It was important to celebrate that American-Scandinavian Foundation has existed for 100 years. It also made it a big experience that heads of states from other countries was there on that evening”.

Q: How was it for you and the Crown Prince to open the ball at the Hilton-gala and dance around all alone?
Mary: “Ha, ha! It was actually not supposed to be like that, but we had the honor of doing it and it was fun.
We danced for a long time, because it took a long time before the others came out on the dance floor. But then they came eventually. We had a good dance and it was lovely”.

Again, thanks to the estimable Muhler for keeping us all abreast of Mary and Frederik's activities!

Muhler you are a gem. Your summaries add the reality of what we miss from just the official schedule and photos. So thank you for your time and efforts. I send you a big hug. cheers

I wish I could be in new York and be able to catch a pic of Frederik and Mary in new York. And what is up with the royals visiting the united states lately?
Prince Daniel in Washington DC
Crown prince Frederik and crown princess Mary in New York and Boston
Crown prince haakon in northern California
King Carl XVI gustaf and queen silvia in new York and princess Madeline
King Harald v and queen Sonja were in missouri
Prince Harry in California for military buissness ? It's sad that I am not there at the right time and see them:(

I feel exactly the same,I also wish to see them and I would really love to visit New York again....I guess sometimes it´s really cool to be a princess like Mary!

Again, thanks to the estimable Muhler for keeping us all abreast of Mary and Frederik's activities!

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words, Susanna Wynne and Tarlita :)

I wish I could be in new York and be able to catch a pic of Frederik and Mary in new York. And what is up with the royals visiting the united states lately?
Prince Harry in California for military buissness ? It's sad that I am not there at the right time and see them:(

Maybe it's just an excuse for some early Christmas shopping ;) (don't hit me guys, it's a joke)

You hit the nail on the head; it's the New York "game face!" :cool:

Very true. Almost all pedestrians that I've taken notice of while traveling around NYC have the same type of expression; pre-occupied/neutral. I think that face is the one I wear while walking around.

I can only wish that one day a royal will visit Kansas. I don't know...maybe if they are ever curious about beef production or wheat or soybean cultivation. We Kansans would just go nutty over having a royal visitor.

:previous:I'd bet Prince Charles would be absolutely enthralled visiting America's heartland since he's very much into farming and the organic movement. I'm sure he'd be interested in all Kansas had to offer!

If Sarah Jessica Parker and Victoria Beckham can do it...then so will Mary!

I don't know about Victoria, but when Sarah Jessica Parker is out and about in the Village with her children, she wears sneakers! :)

(Filming S&tC is a different story, I agree. But nobody would actually wear the shoes from that on the streets of NYC).

:previous:I'd bet Prince Charles would be absolutely enthralled visiting America's heartland since he's very much into farming and the organic movement. I'm sure he'd be interested in all Kansas had to offer!

Thank you for your kind words!

In Billed Bladet #44, 2011.

We are informed about the designers of the dresses Mary wore.
Now, I can't figure out how the fashion threads work, I always post in the wrong place, so I've decided to post the details here. - And whoever wants to can mention that in the appropriate thread.

This dress is by Ole Yde. - The shoes are from Prada.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/MaryOgFrederiksDansINewYork#5668142933334685874

The jacket Mary is wearing is by Isabel Marant. The necklass and the ring on her finger are from Georg Jensen.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/KronprinsparretPaUnionSquare#5668119816601332178

This dress is by Ole Yde. The jewelry is from Marianne Dulong and the clutch is in brown leather.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/MaryINewYork#5665858199026399234

Mary's jacket is from Heartmade, her shoes are from Louboutin.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/MaryOgFrederikPaJetsStadium#5668115722695588658

Mary is here wearing an outfit by Designers Remix. Her bag is Prada and the earrings and writsband are from Marianne Dulong.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/KRlighedINewYork#5667711730482441586

Marys dress and jacket is from Heartmade. Wristband and ring are from Marianne Dulong. The shoes are from Prada and the clutch is made from crocodile hide.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/KRlighedINewYork#5667711734016447394

Mary's dress is from Malene Birger, the jacket is from Isabel Marant. The bag is a Bottega Veneta. The wristband is from Georg Jensen. The ring is from Ole Lynggaard.
https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/MaryBesGteSkoleIHarlem#5668111939146877698

ADDED: Here are the pictures to the article: https://picasaweb.google.com/100865900034584557354/MarysStilINewYork

Last edited:
Crown princess Mary stayed in new York most of the time and crown prince Frederik visited harvard university but otherwise they stayed mostly in new York.damn.the whole time they were here I didn't get to see them,they even talked in the today show as well as prince Albert II and princess Charlene of Monaco

A funny little detail about what goes on off camera at such a visit.
I watched a documentary tonight about foreign correspondents. One of them was Jesper Steinmetz who covered M&F's US visit.

He started out by asking the boy, who had been selected to recieve Mary at a visit to a school, about what he would like to ask Mary. The boy answered that he would like to know what it takes to be a princess.

Later on Jesper Steinmetz talked to Mary about what they would talk about and say, when the camera was turned on. He told about the boy and his question. Mary thought for a moment and said: "Be yourself". And they agreed that would be good answer.

So later on, she was interviewed on camera about this particular visit, and she was again asked the question from the boy: "What does it take to be a princess"? And Mary's "spontaneous" reply was: "You should be yourself".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom