Crown Princely Couple's Official Visit to Romania: October 8-9, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the outfits she wore suits very well the ocassion, on the first day that lovely light dress with a hat and them that black normal suit with a beautiful red scarf, it was a day to day outfit that we could wear to our work!

Last edited:
I quite agree ricarda, I like the attitude of the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. She even dressed up in pearls, hats and pastels when she visited the bombed areas of London during WWII.

i really agree. not only for royals but for common people too. well im not going to work with hats and pearls but cloth is very important for me, it's the evidence of our respect for others who will be patient enough to spend a whole day with us.

the duke of marmalade has a point re Mary's clothes, even though she does look lovely. Romania has a very high level of poverty in rural areas, in old people's homes and orphanages as we know in west europe, it is on tv and in the papers often enough.

If Mary dressed down just because she is visiting Romania - a contry that for the time being, isn't quit on the same economical level as the rich countryes in Europe - this would be hypocritical, condescending and disrespectfull towards the people of Romania. Why should they be treated different from people of other nations? Doing that would be impolit.

But of course this is Mary - and she has to be critiziesed for something. In NY it was being to trendy and in Romania it is not dressing in rags.

Imo she dresses exactly the way thats proper for the occasion. That goes for NY as well at for this trip to Romania.

Oh please, people. No one knows why she wore that certain outfit except for her. She probably likes it because it is comfortable and quite stylish. It does not look as is she was trying to "dress down" for the visit. I've been to Bulgaria, and the parts I visited were very nice. Poor woman, she's critisized always.

I happen to think Fred and Mary, their children and Ziggy completely perfect.

I just read in the Duke of marmalade's posting re a channel bag and a cartier watch and knowing what the ballpark price of these things are, it made me pause and think. She would not have looked less pretty if she had replaced these accesories with neutral labels.

If Mary dressed down just because she is visiting Romania - a contry that for the time being, isn't quit on the same economical level as the rich countryes in Europe - this would be hypocritical, condescending and disrespectfull towards the people of Romania. Why should they be treated different from people of other nations? Doing that would be impolit.

But of course this is Mary - and she has to be critiziesed for something.
In NY it was being to trendy and in Romania it is not dressing in rags.

Imo she dresses exactly the way thats proper for the occasion. That goes for NY as well at for this trip to Romania.

I just read in the Duke of marmalade's posting re a channel bag and a cartier watch and knowing what the ballpark price of these things are, it made me pause and think. She would not have looked less pretty if she had replaced these accesories with neutral labels.

You are right - she would not have looked less pretty using other accesories. But why should she replace them just because she is visiting Romania? Would it be OK to use these accesories on a visit to UK, France or Germany? And if so, why? Are the the romaniens a people of a lesser god or what?

Please I did not want to start a discussion about Romania. As most times, I liked Mary's look and I think that she is the best and most regal dresser among her peers. But as susan alicia said, she would look lovely and pretty dressed even without showing off the labels, be it in Romania or on all other occasions where she is dealing with "normal" people.

Mary obviously likes labels and that's her prerogative as a princess (others do the same) but on some occasions I find she overdoes it and it looks a bit tacky, eg with her oversized bag in Romania or these huge sunglasses with the giant CC at the golf tournament. At bit more understatement would be better sometimes, especially with a guy like Fred next to her.

Last edited:
What was the purpose of this trip? visiting children with HIV then sightseeing? what advantages do this trip have for denmark and romania?
about the way Mary dressed,i think she should dress in a way that represent denmark not romania and she did it perfectly.

Last edited:
The Romanian visit was a treat for all of us since we got so many beautiful pictures, not just of Fred and Mary but also of Romania. It's definitely on my list of places to travel to!
I think Mary dressed very appropriately for the visit. Yes, I could have done without the Chanel bag for this visit as it is very obvious but I don't think the watch is that big of a deal. It's a watch. No one else would probably have noticed that it was Cartier except for people like us who looks at pictures in detail. I really do think people get nit-picky about Mary for just being Mary. Other princesses have worn just as expensive stuff to visits abroad and at home. Maxima also has a Chanel purse and Letizia owns a Hermes and I'm sure Mette-Marit and Mathilde have something in their closet to that extent. It's fine to have an opinion about something but it should be consistent across the board.

She is such a lovely young woman. Her clothes are not trendy or flashy, she is more classic in her style. I think some would not like what she wore regardless. I would hate for people to critque me every time I took a step out of my home. The only one she needs to make happy is her husband, and it looks like she is doing a wonderful job of that. He looks very happy and content with his beautiful young wife at his side.

What was the purpose of this trip? visiting children with HIV then sightseeing? what advantages do this trip have for denmark and romania?

Excellent! What a refreshing question!:flowers:

Would anyone like to attempt to answer Aryo's question thus moving away from the fashion debate which you can discuss in further detail [URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f63/princess-mary-s-daytime-fashion-part-2-a-13035-12.html"]here[/URL] as well as [URL="http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f63/princess-mary-s-accessories-shoes-bags-scarves-etc-2274-17.html"]here[/URL]?

Unfortunately the Danish royal websites are not as informative as those of other royal houses when it comes to the purpose or schedules of their visits.

But we know they were there on the invitation of the Romanian President. So, I would say the main purpose of their visit was bilateral relations.

Nine O'Clock
President Basescu meets Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark

President Traian Basescu received at Cotroceni Palace the Crown Prince of Denmark, Frederik, who is currently on an official visit to Romania at the invitation of the Romanian Head of State, reads a news release issued by the presidential administration. The Crown Prince is accompanied by Princess Mary. During the talks, President Basescu thanked the Danish authorities for the “constant support given to our country during the European Union accession process” and praised the high level of Romanian – Danish relations, expressing his confidence that bilateral relations will further develop. Crown Prince Frederik’s official visit will include a trip to Sibiu and participation in a number of events in the “Sibiu, European Capital of Culture 2007” programme, as well as a visit of the princely couple to Sighisoara.
Sibiu is European Capital of Culture and Sighisoara is UNESCO world heritage. So, obviously 2 places the Romanians are proud to show to their guests.

Why they visited the Aids center? My guess: perhaps it's supported with Danish money.

Last edited:
Very good, Ricarda.

Would anyone else like to respond? What did you think of their visit -- its purpose and so forth? Benefits? Downsides? Economic relationship between the two countries specifically the future?

Thoughts anyone?

Very good, Ricarda.

Would anyone else like to respond? What did you think of their visit -- its purpose and so forth? Benefits? Downsides? Economic relationship between the two countries specifically the future?

Thoughts anyone?

Well I would guess as Romania is a new member of the EU and as someone added earlier that it has a rapidly growing economy, then it is in Denmark´s interest to get their foot in the door so to speak. I´m sure the visit has something to do with developing the economic relationship between the two countries.

I read at the Danish Royal Watchers that the purpose of this trip was partly for Romania to build good EU relationships with other countries. And also the President of Romania wanted Fred and Mary to visit Sibui because it has been marked as a European Cultural Capital of 2007. Hence, the lovely walking tour that F and M took. I also read at the site that Fred and Mary did visit Victor Babes hospital where they spent time with children living with Aids or HIV.

Well I am ashamed to admit this but this week I have become caught up in the numerous pics of the various royal events going on and I have to admit I have been somewhat distracted from the real purposes. But I get it now! Thanks for the re-focus my fellow posters. :)

The Romanian visit was a treat for all of us since we got so many beautiful pictures, not just of Fred and Mary but also of Romania. It's definitely on my list of places to travel to!
I think Mary dressed very appropriately for the visit. Yes, I could have done without the Chanel bag for this visit as it is very obvious but I don't think the watch is that big of a deal. It's a watch. No one else would probably have noticed that it was Cartier except for people like us who looks at pictures in detail. I really do think people get nit-picky about Mary for just being Mary. Other princesses have worn just as expensive stuff to visits abroad and at home. Maxima also has a Chanel purse and Letizia owns a Hermes and I'm sure Mette-Marit and Mathilde have something in their closet to that extent. It's fine to have an opinion about something but it should be consistent across the board.

Amen to that!!! Regardless what she does. It seems to me people often find fault on her. Will it be insult [FONT=&quot]to Romanian if Mary dress down from what she is normally dress? Get real people![/FONT]

ENOUGH!

Please stop bashing others opinions even if it irritates you like a torn on your side! Snide sarcastic remarks essentially leads the discussion down the drain.

So, please, knock it off.

Thanks
:alien:

Did you notice that she is wearing that beautiful Cartier gold watch??? Is lovely that watch!

Back
Top Bottom