Crown Prince Frederik's Working Visit to Nepal: September 17-20, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah, the famous knife, used by the Ghurkas.
Here is a beautiful example of such knife: http://www.outdoorukraine.com/images/stories/sights/nepal/kukri/03-nozh-kukri-nepal.jpg

I also read in the article that a local women took the opportunity to do a selfie with Frederik.

Nice Knife. Hope he declares it at the airport ;)
From the photos you can tell a lot of people were taking photos of Frederik and seemed truly welcoming of him and the Danish Red Cross.

Another picture, Frederik being given some traditional Nepal items
http://i.imgur.com/k7kFiDA.jpg

:previous: Nice pic, Polyesco. :)

In fact Frederik were several times presented with traditional garments and prayer-shawls. So were his accompanying PET officers.

Kronprins Frederik på stroppetur i Nepal: Når jeg kommer hjem vil jeg fortælle mine børn, hvor heldige de er - Nyheder | www.bt.dk

More than 630.000 people became homeless after the earthquake in April, to that must be added people who are de factor homeless as well. because many houses stand, but are damaged, some so much that people simply don't dare live there.

Frederik said among other things this to the villagers in one of the remote villages he visited: "I have four children at home myself. When I come home, I will tell them how fortunate they are".

To the press he said: "We ought to appreciate that we are well off under our skies. I think there is a tendency to forget that. We point our fingers and oink (*) and what not. But it's healthy to see, smell, hear and eat for yourself that there are other people in the world who live differently".

(*) That's a new expression to me and a typical Frederik. :) I think he means grumble and complain.

HQ pics:

http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/694/10/10694440-201sebananfred2jpg.jpeg

http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/694/10/10694485-bananfred-1.jpg

http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/694/10/10694446-201sebananfredigenjpg.jpeg

http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/694/10/10694385-saxo-photo.jpeg

Last edited:
To the press he said: "We ought to appreciate that we are well off under our skies. I think there is a tendency to forget that. We point our fingers and oink (*) and what not. But it's healthy to see, smell, hear and eat for yourself that there are other people in the world who live differently".

(*) That's a new expression to me and a typical Frederik. :) I think he means grumble and complain.
It´s not new to me, perhaps it´s an expression used here in Coenhagen/all Zealand. CP Frederik do indeed means "grumble, mumble and complain" :flowers:

The tabloid BT's editorial today praise Frederik for taking part in the trip to Nepal.
Frederiks forsigtige stilskifte | BT mener

It states that it's a mature change of style for Frederik, who has previously been better known as the "iron-prince". And the editorial look forward to see Frederik more in similar roles.

The editorial also writes that Frederik clearly has been inspired by his wife, who with great success has undertaken similar tasks for years. (That's it for now, gotta go).

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #39, 2015.
Written by our Nepal correspondent Ulrik Ulriksen.

This covers Frederik's trip, not the interview, that may be covered in a later post.

Frederik started out the first day in Nepal walking up narrow tracks to a remote mountain village, Pallo Pachok, in humid 30 degrees C (86F), so it was a sweaty Frederik who arrived at the village to a warm welcome by the locals.
He was presented to countless flower garlands, a traditional Dhaka topi-hat and given the characteristic red Hindu mark on his forehead. The local greeting is Namaste and Frederik had plenty of opportunity to say that many times. He and the rest of his delegation were also presented to a mug of lukewarm goat milk with a consistency like yogurt, complete with garlic. - It may not have been that tasty... but down it went.

The purpose of this particular visit was to learn how the Danish Red Cross aide had made a difference. The village was one of those devastated by the earthquake in April and being remote and poor, it's way down on the list of priorities for the central government in regards to rebuilding. Here Red Cross helped by supplying the locals with basic rebuilding kits, and let them build at least temporary homes for those who are homeless or simply nervous about staying in a damaged home.

A village elder, a women said in a speech: "We are so glad that the Crown Prince in coming. And grateful for the help by Danish Red Cross.
We've never had a visit by a royal or one of our politicians, so we feel very fortunate today".

Frederik said about his visit to the village: "The most impressive thing is the willpower displayed by the people.
To live remote like this, where you have to go far uphill quite a bit and on a relatively uneven surface.
The will they have to sustain a life based on their particular crop, is impressing.
The ceiling sure is high here in Nepal. We are close to the sky. It's so fantastic to walk in such a beautiful nature, where you can let your thoughts fly and enjoy the colors that are all over the place, both in regards to the nature and in regards to how people dress.
And then there is this Hinduist-Buddist faith that dominates here. It's all very balanced, very calm and it's obvious that you benefit (have a feel good feeling) from their behavior. It affects you".

Frederik also took an active part in the rebuilding that is a result of the kits supplied by the Red Cross. - And as Frederik was working, the rest of the Danish delegation worked too... And it was hot, and uphill, and through streams and then it was hot and even more uphill...!
The camp consisted of tents complete with a shower - under a nearby waterfall. Frederik had specifically requested the work to be demanding and rough, because he wanted to feel for himself, how the work is for the locals.

He explained: "I've taken part in designing the work-trip and it's obvious that if I hadn't been so physically able, we might have been driving a bit more in cars, rather than walking or trekking in the physically demanding surroundings in the hills and mountains of Nepal.
But it's extra beneficial for me to do it this way, where we move from A to B, just like the locals in the mountains of Nepal and meet them in the tight spots.
That is for me better than arrangements in meeting rooms with power point presentations, even though that can be good as well. So I have had my say in putting together this trip as much as possible and I would like to reach as far out to the locals as was possible while still being responsible. And in this case it's a peacefully disposed country we are in, so the security situation, as far as I am concerned has been good.
I feel good doing a physical effort and the sweat actually provides a bit of cooling. And it's also nice with a bit of rain from the monsoon.
All in all it has been an invaluable experience for me to have in my little mental backpack.
It's important for me to come out and experience this personally, so that I can better communicate about it, as I have been out seeing the condition with my own eyes and getting a feeling for the challenges on my own body. This here has been worth it".

After several days in a remote part of Nepal, Frederik and the delegation went to the capital Kathmandu, where they saw rebuilding projects because the capital was also hard hit by the quake.
That included a visit to a temporary rebuild house, now home to four families, with altogether fourteen people. Frederik met and had a chat with residents who told him they are busy rebuilding the local neighborhood where fifteen were killed, buried under the rubble.

On the 4th October there will be a national fundraiser for Red Cross.

:previous: Two things struck me in this interview: first, the woman who said they had not received a visit from royalty or even local politicians, so they were especially happy about Frederik's visit. The earthquake was in April, I believe. But it sounds like the Red Cross is doing a wonderful job. Second, Frederik has really matured these last few years. When I first started following the DRF, much of the news about Frederik was how much he loved to party, hit the clubs, etc. Comments about that can still be found on some websites, and the comment section of the Daily Mail. I wonder if some of those people will even read this interview - and if they do, will they believe it or say it's all for show, like they believe his marriage is. Sad.

Second, Frederik has really matured these last few years. When I first started following the DRF, much of the news about Frederik was how much he loved to party, hit the clubs, etc. Comments about that can still be found on some websites, and the comment section of the Daily Mail. I wonder if some of those people will even read this interview - and if they do, will they believe it or say it's all for show, like they believe his marriage is. Sad.

The last few years? I would say Frederik has matured a long time ago.

You know, there are so many things written about Mary and Frederik out there that aren't true. So many things twisted, so many conspiracy theories. It's incredible, really.

A village elder, a women said in a speech: "We are so glad that the Crown Prince in coming. And grateful for the help by Danish Red Cross.
We've never had a visit by a royal or one of our politicians, so we feel very fortunate today".

Frederik said about his visit to the village: "The most impressive thing is the willpower displayed by the people.
To live remote like this, where you have to go far uphill quite a bit and on a relatively uneven surface.
The will they have to sustain a life based on their particular crop, is impressing.
The ceiling sure is high here in Nepal. We are close to the sky. It's so fantastic to walk in such a beautiful nature, where you can let your thoughts fly and enjoy the colors that are all over the place, both in regards to the nature and in regards to how people dress.
And then there is this Hinduist-Buddist faith that dominates here. It's all very balanced, very calm and it's obvious that you benefit (have a feel good feeling) from their behavior. It affects you".

He explained: "I've taken part in designing the work-trip and it's obvious that if I hadn't been so physically able, we might have been driving a bit more in cars, rather than walking or trekking in the physically demanding surroundings in the hills and mountains of Nepal.
But it's extra beneficial for me to do it this way, where we move from A to B, just like the locals in the mountains of Nepal and meet them in the tight spots.
That is for me better than arrangements in meeting rooms with power point presentations, even though that can be good as well. So I have had my say in putting together this trip as much as possible and I would like to reach as far out to the locals as was possible while still being responsible. And in this case it's a peacefully disposed country we are in, so the security situation, as far as I am concerned has been good.

thank you Muhler :flowers:
Very important what the woman highlighted, i think. That this was the first visit. Great work by the Danish red cross.

Love to read Frederik's comments. that he was involved in the panning of the trip. a powerpoint presentation can only tell you so much.
Its better to get down to the area and meet the local people. See the struggles first hand
Nepal and its culture is beautiful, its great that Frederik got to experience it while also bringing attention to the help needed.

You know, there are so many things written about Mary and Frederik out there that aren't true. So many things twisted, so many conspiracy theories. It's incredible, really.

Couldn't agree more.
The maturity has shown a long time ago in Frederik. The interview makes it sound like it was just yesterday but Frederik has done these type of Trips before, but now with his father getting older I can see his role with the Red Cross increasing more and more.
His role in the "back screen" stuff like the government reshuffles and audiences has already grown so much already :flowers:

Everything under the moon has been written about Mary and Frederik. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #39, 2015.

As MidwestMom says it's a mature Frederik who reflects on his experience.

(In the interview I will omit some of the quotes, in particular about Mary, that Roskilde has already translated).

First and foremost Frederik praises his wife:
It's fantastic to see that the Crown Princess is doing things that are truly extraordinary and that's nothing new.
She was also interested in the same topics before I met her. She has always been someone who cared for others. In particular the weak. Also long before I entered the picture, so that makes me happy and proud.
And I'll say that I learn a lot from the Crown Princess. I almost learn more from her than she is from me, because she has full focus on the area with women's rights. She is sought after high up in the UN system.
She's had a good platform. So we help each other in that way".

Q: Can Prince Christian relate to you going to a country that has suffered an earthquake?
F: "I really don't think the children can relate to an earthquake, because you can't see (that there has been) an earthquake straight away.
Right now the little ones, in particular Vincent, has something about tornadoes being exciting. He has seen tornadoes on TV, so he has been drawing tornadoes in the kindergarten. They find it very exciting because tornadoes move fast and look dangerous. You can get sucked up and flung away, so they can better related to that than to an earthquake, which you really can't see.
You can of course find something about it on YouTube, where people have been in a room and filmed it, but to them a tornado provides a more realistic image.
I can tell the children that I have been close to something that is just as dangerous as a tornado. That's probably how I will explain it to them in the more pedagogical way".

Why is Frederik now involved with Red Cross?
"It was my father who ten years ago wished that I joined Red Cross for which he is patron.
It could also have been my brother, but my father so much wanted that I continued in his footsteps. It's a tradition in our family to be involved with the Red Cross, that has a strong brand also in relation to other relief organizations. My father would perhaps like to retire a bit and I'm ready".
Frederik goes on to describe how PH brought often homemade toys with him home from mostly Africa.
"I also buy presents to take back home to my children and with these presents I can tell them about where I have been and how it is in these places.
I don't buy a remotely controlled car, because that you can get everywhere in the world. Here in Nepal and in Kathmandu I've been looking at a mask, a (finger) puppet or a local board game. That provides the children with a good impression of where you have been".

How is he about this "new" role of his?
F: "I'm fine with a role like this where I go out and put focus on Danish Red Cross. Otherwise I wouldn't have embarked on such a journey at all.
It's about selecting your trips carefully. I shall not go too early after a disaster and take away important resources from the relief efforts.
But the times I have been away to Mozambique and Nepal have been very rewarding for me. It's important to help put light and focus on that and help provide recognition for the great work being done from Red Cross and the locals.
It's difficult to say whether this side of my profile is getting too little recognition or attention. I've been a part of Red Cross and a special commissioner for the Red Cross for a number of years. I've been on field trips and visited the headquarter in Geneva.
I will never be going on the first flight to a disaster area, because there has to be a balance there, and as said before I must not pull away resources from the relief work and rescue mission. But I'd really like to put focus on the work done by the Red Cross and this trip will not be a one off.
There will be other opportunities for me to put focus on the Red Cross all over the world. That's just one of the many good things I have to work with and for that I'm glad".

However, it was a bit strenuous.
Q: Is it the age?
F: "I can sense that I'll be turning 50 in a couple of years.
It has been a trip with physical challenges. And I like the physical challenges and to stay fit at the level I am is a pleasure.
It makes me think more clearly at times, when you have periods when you are in really good shape.
But one is I guess more stiff in the body now once in a while than previously.
When we slept in tents it was with a thicker layer to sleep on. My back is a bit tight in the morning. That's one of the things I've noticed about myself in latter years. Perhaps the past five-six years.
But that's because you use yourself physically and don't stop doing it regardless of the age. (*) The age, in a couple of years 50, is but a number".

(*) A doctor once told my sister: "If you are past 50 and don't feel stiff and/or hurt in at least one spot of your body when you wake up, it's because you are dead".

How is he about this "new" role of his?
F: "I'm fine with a role like this where I go out and put focus on Danish Red Cross. Otherwise I wouldn't have embarked on such a journey at all.
It's about selecting your trips carefully. I shall not go too early after a disaster and take away important resources from the relief efforts.
But the times I have been away to Mozambique and Nepal have been very rewarding for me. It's important to help put light and focus on that and help provide recognition for the great work being done from Red Cross and the locals.
It's difficult to say whether this side of my profile is getting too little recognition or attention. I've been a part of Red Cross and a special commissioner for the Red Cross for a number of years. I've been on field trips and visited the headquarter in Geneva.
I will never be going on the first flight to a disaster area, because there has to be a balance there, and as said before I must not pull away resources from the relief work and rescue mission. But I'd really like to put focus on the work done by the Red Cross and this trip will not be a one off.
There will be other opportunities for me to put focus on the Red Cross all over the world. That's just one of the many good things I have to work with and for that I'm glad".

However, it was a bit strenuous.
Q: Is it the age?
F: "I can sense that I'll be turning 50 in a couple of years.
It has been a trip with physical challenges. And I like the physical challenges and to stay fit at the level I am is a pleasure.
It makes me think more clearly at times, when you have periods when you are in really good shape.
But one is I guess more stiff in the body now once in a while than previously.
When we slept in tents it was with a thicker layer to sleep on. My back is a bit tight in the morning. That's one of the things I've noticed about myself in latter years. Perhaps the past five-six years.
But that's because you use yourself physically and don't stop doing it regardless of the age. (*) The age, in a couple of years 50, is but a number".

(*) A doctor once told my sister: "If you are past 50 and don't feel stiff and/or hurt in at least one spot of your body when you wake up, it's because you are dead".

Yes. Frederik has been involved in the Red Cross for years now, and his role in it will only grow and expand. Maybe the media can place more focus and not just his "sports" events :flowers::cool:
And i like that he said that he wont go to a disaster area right away, sometimes you end up just getting in the way

And yes 50 is just a number, hope he continues to compete in physical challenges and stay fit (for his benefit of course not my eyes lol:p)
had to lol at your Doctor quote:D

I would agree. He certainly wasn't "partying" after he met Mary, although I think a level of "activity" had to be maintained before the paps caught on to his romance with Mary. Nevertheless, he met Mary in 2000 and fell in love. It is now 2015 and they are still given to PDA's.

To all appearances, he has been a terrific husband and father and has led by example with his fit and healthy personal lifestyle and promotion of health and sport, particularly with children. But that is only the tip of the iceberg. It is engagements such as this trip to Nepal on behalf of the Danish Red Cross that show the much wider scope and deeper involvement that one would expect from the 47-year-old heir to the throne.

Unfortunately such engagements don't get much coverage as it involves both actual journalists and travel and they cost money. So your average scandal rag just keeps churning out rubbish about Frederik's ex-girlfriends and whether Frederik's marriage is "real" or merely a royal smoke screen hiding . . . yada, yada, yada.

Summary of interview in Billed Bladet #39, 2015.

As MidwestMom says it's a mature Frederik who reflects on his experience.

(In the interview I will omit some of the quotes, in particular about Mary, that Roskilde has already translated).

First and foremost Frederik praises his wife:
It's fantastic to see that the Crown Princess is doing things that are truly extraordinary and that's nothing new.
She was also interested in the same topics before I met her. She has always been someone who cared for others. In particular the weak. Also long before I entered the picture, so that makes me happy and proud.
And I'll say that I learn a lot from the Crown Princess. I almost learn more from her than she is from me, because she has full focus on the area with women's rights. She is sought after high up in the UN system.
She's had a good platform. So we help each other in that way".

mange tak, Muhler, as always for your translation of the Crown Prince's words, that give great insight into the mind of this deeply thoughtful man. I like how he knows to use his influence wisely and not just to show he cares. His point is to emphasize the importance of good work well done; for this we should all be grateful. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I hope Frederick does more of these kinds of trips in the future. High profile international trips will be a very visible part of his job as king so it's good to get comfortable in that kind of role now. Also he seems to really enjoy himself and shine in situations like this.

I liked that he mentioned how he'll never go to a disaster area too soon after the damage occurs. It always annoys me when people complain about politicians and royals not showing up immediately. The last thing these sites need are people who don't know what they're doing and who can offer no practical assistance showing up in the middle of the carnage and making nuisances of themselves.

One more picture, I dont think it has been posted before, but its too good to pass up ;)
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/h...35/11910509_1502974096694631_1686641989_n.jpg
"Crown Prince Frederik was not afraid to lend a hand when he was in Nepal to see the relief operation, we have been running the country since the earthquake hit"

and a short article about
Martin's father Jacob Jorgensen's company filming Frederik in Nepal
Kronprins Frederik hyrer Martin far - Herognu

"The royal family's communications department says that Jacob Jorgensen's company, JJ Film, for some time have followed many of the royals both for private use for the family and for any TV shows.

Even Jacob Jorgensen did not want to elaborate on what project he's up to the Crown Prince.
- As a rule we do not comment on ongoing recordings. This also applies to the specific recordings in Nepal, communicate JJ Film"

:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom