The Future of the Danish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Empress

Heir Apparent
Country
United States
Frederik's suitability as King of Denmark is frequently debated here at the forums. We wish to allow people to discuss this topic, but at the same time, experience has taught us that it might be good to have some boundaries in place before we begin.

As always, we're interested in having opinions from all sides as long as they're backed up by facts or examples, and members from all countries are welcome to join the discussion.

We hope that you can stay on-topic in this thread. If you think there is the possibility of a new and interesting discussion arising from this discussion, but it is off-topic in this thread, please search for a thread, or open a new one. :flowers:

Please be polite, and avoid attacking other users as they are entitled to their opinions, no matter how you might feel about them. Everyone's opinions are equally valued by the moderating team.

As mentioned before, it helps to get an interesting debate going, if you give some examples or facts regarding Frederik’s suitability as king. The discussion stops fairly quickly if all we get are a few statements such as "Frederik will be a great king." or "Frederik will be a mediocre king." If you can expand on your opinions and share why you think as you do, it will lead to a more interesting and produictive discussion with less empty posts.

If you have a problem with anything or anyone in this thread, don't hesitate to contact a moderator, rather than conduct an open warfare in the thread and destroy other posters' enjoyment. :flowers:Always remember the rules.

That being said - here is some food for thought to get the discussion going:
  1. What particular instance has helped you to form your opinion regarding Frederik?​
  2. Do you think that his education and experience thus far has helped learn what he must do as king?​
  3. Do you think that having children of his own has helped him to become more mature and to really accept the role that he must play in the future of Denmark?​
  4. If you have another topic that relates to Frederiks suitability to be king, please feel free to throw that in as well.​
Please remember that this in not a thread to discuss Frederiks relationships past or present!​

Please save us all trouble and read/follow the TRF Rules and FAQ

Last edited:
I (personally) think that Prince Frederick is a most reluctant Crown Prince, he would have been much happier if he had been either the second son or a Prince Consort. Prince Joachim would have been happier if he had been the elder...much more articulate, and does a lot of speaking engagements...but that is not how it worked out.
I think CP Frederick will do his duty, but personal happiness ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think too that Joachim would have been better crown prince because for me it seems that Frederick doesn't want to be on spotlight so much. But I think that it's quite wrong give some deciocions to somebody who I don't know. Only times could show does Frederick is appropriate for his role or not!:)

personally i believe he is suited to be king. he seems well educated, caring,
even-tempered, good natured, soft hearted and kind. Good attributes for his job of doing his best for the Danish people. He was a frogman in the navy (which prince or not he had to pass the training and achieve on his own merits) which imo makes him daring, brave, strong willed and stout hearted. you have to be one of the toughest guys on the block to achieve the tasks to become a seal, again good qualities in a king. perhaps the complexity of a man that can "tear up" and be a loving human being while at the same time being able to kill everyone in the room with his bare hands makes him more attractive to me (he's my favorite) but i really think he's more than up to the job. i understand his reticence and shyness aren't assets but some of the most brilliant people i know aren't comfortable around people or attention but have done very well in business(just don't ask them to give a talk or accept an award, they'd give up their fortunes first).
perhaps that's the strength in having a supportive family, everyone pulls together and any short comings evens out.

I think perhaps if he had been raised in a more warm environment, it might have been more beneficial to the modern take on what a king should be. I think that he was raised in the old school way of royals, which might or might not help him in the future. Although it appears that he has taken that lesson to heart and is raising little Christian with a more hands on touch.

Out of all the future monarchs in Europe, I do feel that Frederik is the least prepared. He seems to have lightest agenda and doesn't look all that comfortable being in the spotlight. That being said, Frederik's confidence has been boosted considerably with Mary in the picture. I think being married and having a family has given him a sense of peace that he didn't have before. With Mary and his family by his side, I do believe he'll step up to the plate and become a King the Danes will be proud of. Perhaps he doesn't feel the need, whether that be right or wrong, to take charge and be assertive since Margrethe will most likely not abdicate.

A very grounded indavidual, I think. Perhaps at times unsure of himself, but who can honestly say that they haven't had moments of self doubt in whatever capacity? And if they did it would surely be a blatant lie.

A warm and kind hearted man with evident leaderships kills (armed services training), a good knowledge of diplomacy and government proceedings, I think Frederik has exactly what it takes to be a successful and affectionately regarded Monarch.

The Danes (a very very great majority) have truly endeared themselves to him but the Dane's (from my personal expereinces in Denmark) are very supportive and rather protective of their immediate royal family. Not because there's any real need to protect their institution, but because there is a real affection held between the royal family and 'her' people. It's really quite lovely to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people rely on educational qualifications and work ethics to determine the suitability of the current crop of crown princes. While these criteria may work when you are looking at the business and political leaders, I find them really unreliable and unscientific for royals. The reasons being it is more to do with the whole family as a unit than one individual. I think the objective of most of the royal families apart from the welfare of the people is also to maintain the line of royal family in the next century. Not an easy task when democracy has captured a lot of people's imagination and a Royal's political role is being curbed. Forget the extended family, people are wary to fund even the regent's immediate family especially the spare heirs. Yes we all indulge the babies with oohs and aahs, but this is the honeymoon period. Would the general public really want to contribute to the lavish lifestyles of these youngsters when they are in their 30's. So most of the royal families are devising ways to curb any ill feeling which could be generated later on. We have Prince Sverre not getting courtesy of HRH. And Princess Isabella has been shielded away from the public marking the difference that though the Queen's Granddaughter, she will be a private citizen.

Coming to Denmark, Q.M and P.H have themselves maintained a light workload. This is evident as both have got time to pursue their hobbies and I doubt that this has to do with a lack of seriousness from either one of them. Even the other members of the team constitute of only Crown Princely Couple, Prince Joachim and Princess Benedickte, None of them are swamped with work.
I think the lack of seriousness which is perceived in Frederick is simply him not disturbing the status quo and sending a contradictory message to the general public. It is not that he never works or never steps up when it is evident Margarethe is suffering due to ill health. It just seems that the workload in Denmark comes in periods of blocks.

In my post I am not supporting the view that he is suitable for his job, not even that there are not a lot of unsuitable traits in him but rather that as a king he may turn out pretty decent. After all the reactions of a king may not come through backstage preparation but rather instinct. It will be only in history that we will know of how he fares for himself and his country.

Coming to Denmark, Q.M and P.H have themselves maintained a light workload. This is evident as both have got time to pursue their hobbies and I doubt that this has to do with a lack of seriousness from either one of them. Even the other members of the team constitute of only Crown Princely Couple, Prince Joachim and Princess Benedickte, None of them are swamped with work.
I think the lack of seriousness which is perceived in Frederick is simply him not disturbing the status quo and sending a contradictory message to the general public. It is not that he never works or never steps up when it is evident Margarethe is suffering due to ill health. It just seems that the workload in Denmark comes in periods of blocks.
I am rather curious to know what has given you the impression that the workloads of queen Margrethe, her husband and her sister are light? I have not heard that claim before and it is not something I would agree with. Yes, QM pursues some hobbies but it that indicative of a light workload generally? Actually, I think these 3 people are extremely active if you follow them. Now they are at an age where it is only fair to allow them some more slack in their schedules (not that I am sure they will take things easier...). Joachim runs his own estate and I don't think that any of us royalty viewers can make a fair judgement of his workload since the major part of it is out of the limelight.

As to Frederik's suitability as a regent, I have no worries. I was 13 when his mother became queen and I remember very well the discussions of whether this young woman would ever be able to fill her father's shoes; how uncomfortable she seemed in the spotlight, how she shuttered and seemed shy etc. Today, few Danes complaint about the queen. The joke here is that the republicans want a republic - and with 'Daisy' as the president. Her qualities as a regent has become increasingly evident over the years. My late grandmother (a fervent royalist) said to me that 'they said the same when Margrethe's father succeeded his own father'. And I think it is true that we tend to all look backwards and compare (mostly unfavourably for the 'newcomer').
Being a good regent is IMO very much an ongoing process where the regent should have good instincts and be able to react to the times he or she is regent is. It would have been lovely if Frederik had been the world's greatest speaker - but frankly I don't think that will have anything to do with his qualities as a king. I could wish that he would do more media supervised events - and that would be because I give in to the attitude that he is not seen doing events enough. An attitude which really annoys me because IMO everyone must know that travelling round, opening things etc. is not the royals' main work load; much like politicians it has to take place out of the media's spotlight. But in our super-surveillance world we, the onlookers, seem to demand tangible proof - pictures! - before we believe that our royals are worth their pay. Too bad really.
I have a feeling that both Frederik and Philippe of Belgien, two CPs who do not now comply with our media requirements and do not possess the immediate attractions which the public seems to deem necessary for coming regents, will one day prove themselves as very good kings of their respective countries. They may be 'low-key' compared to some of their 'colleagues' but that will not, I think, make them less suitable as kings.

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark rocking onstage with Led Zeppelin Jam

Hi everybody

I am kind of new at this, but i was wondering if you could give me your opinion on something. The title of the thread says it all. I know im not allowed to post things, thats not in english, but the again the rules say, you have to 'prove' your statements. Here is a link to a danish newspapers homepage. Kronprinsen gav den på mundharpe i Pumpehuset - iBYEN.dk

In the picture you can see the crown prince playing on a mouth-organ on stage with a band 8th of december 2007. In all honesty, the band is one of his favourite danish bands, who played a reunion gig for the CP and his fiancee in 2004, i think.

My questions are:
-Is that suitable for a CP?
-Does it give the impression of the CP as being more like regular folk? And is that a good thing?
-Should he just watch the concert in stead of participating?

regards
Mr happystupid

Hi MHS:) Welcome to the forums.

My questions are:
-Does it give the impression of the CP as being more like regular folk? And is that a good thing?

In my opinion, I believe it is perfectly fine for a Crown Prince or any royal for that matter to participate in an event such as the one Frederik recently took part of.

Second, it doesn't give me the impression that he is just a "regular guy." I have never thought of a royal being any different than you or I. The only difference is their job and title. Royals are human. They like to rock out just like the rest of us.

I hope that made some sense to you and again, welcome.:)

My questions are:

regards
Mr happystupid
Basically, I suppose we could ask the same for his mother and grandfather; is it suitable for queen Margrethe to be lying on floors making drawings for ballet performances or was it suitable for the late king Frederik IX to conduct an orchestra? :)
Personally, I am OK with Frederik trýing out his talents on stage - just like his mother and grandfather :)

Well...I know you'll hate me when I said it, but being a Prince is not only being handsome. Crownprince Frederick is awfully handsome, and I accept that I had a great interest on him because of it...:wub::blush: But what a Heir needs is brains and doing things by himself (or herself, if it is a Princess). Anyone will help Danish Heir with his tasks as a King when he must sit in the throne..and having a beatiful wife that certain people admires for she is a nice face and have nice clothes wouldn't help , either.

Prince Frederick must work harder to make his speechs improving. Yes; he is already 40 and at 40, few people could change. But his situation is different to the other 40 years old people. He is representating his Nation. So, it will be nothing bad if he tries harder to speak a little better in public.

Our present Royal generation is excedinly handsome..but I'd rather like they were ugly and more equiped to face the problems who brought our modern world.

Vanesa.

Well...I know you'll hate me when I said it, but being a Prince is not only being handsome. Crownprince Frederick is awfully handsome, and I accept that I had a great interest on him because of it...:wub::blush: But what a Heir needs is brains and doing things by himself (or herself, if it is a Princess). Anyone will help Danish Heir with his tasks as a King when he must sit in the throne..and having a beatiful wife that certain people admires for she is a nice face and have nice clothes wouldn't help , either.

Prince Frederick must work harder to make his speechs improving. Yes; he is already 40 and at 40, few people could change. But his situation is different to the other 40 years old people. He is representating his Nation. So, it will be nothing bad if he tries harder to speak a little better in public.

Our present Royal generation is excedinly handsome..but I'd rather like they were ugly and more equiped to face the problems who brought our modern world.

Vanesa.

AFAIK the Danes like him and that's all that counts. :flowers:

And that is all that matters. It's obvious that C P Frederik is shy and prefers to stay out of the limelight. What is wrong with that, we don't know how much work he does behind closed doors, I'm sure he gives 100% when he is in the privacy of his own office. Being born a royal doesn't mean that he was born to speak fluently and with confidence in public. I have been incredibly shy all my life and changing just because others want it is easier said than done. :flowers:

And that is all that matters. It's obvious that C P Frederik is shy and prefers to stay out of the limelight. What is wrong with that, we don't know how much work he does behind closed doors, I'm sure he gives 100% when he is in the privacy of his own office. Being born a royal doesn't mean that he was born to speak fluently and with confidence in public. I have been incredibly shy all my life and changing just because others want it is easier said than done. :flowers:

Not really wrong but: it is his job to stay in the limelight and to deliever speeches and to be able to make a clear point! Or, in other words: that's what he is paid for since it is part of the job description of a crown prince.

Not really wrong but: it is his job to stay in the limelight and to deliever speeches and to be able to make a clear point! Or, in other words: that's what he is paid for since it is part of the job description of a crown prince.

Hm maybe, though what are the other parts or the job description? Btw where can I find this job description?

No that is not all that counts IMO. Though it comes in handy if people ´like´ their monarch/royal it is not a job requirement. It doesn´t say anything on how a royal does his/her job, just that he/she is likable. But as reigning royalty do not participate in some sort of popularity programme but actually are expected to contribute something to society and represent their country both at home as abroad I think there are much more things than just somebody´s likability that count.

And besides that, with arguments like that (the Danish taxpayer likes him so why would anybody else discuss it) a discussion will be largely impossible here, which is not something we (the moderators) would like.

Yes but, if he had the choice would he be a crown prince. The job was thrust upon him because of who his mother is not necessarily a job he would have chosen for himself. We as 'normal' people get to choose the career paths we take in life, maybe he would prefer to be a postman or a doctor or ? who knows what. JMO :flowers:

Last edited:
Yes but, if he had the choice would he be a crown prince. The was a job that was thrust upon him because of who his mother is not necessarily a job he would have chosen for himself. We as 'normal' people get to choose the career paths we take in life, maybe he would prefer to be a postman or a doctor or ? who knows what. JMO :flowers:

Frankly if he does not like to do what is expected from him then he'll have to quit. Both country and family will survive the loss.

Hm maybe, though what are the other parts or the job description? Btw where can I find this job description?

Okay, advertisements for a job as crown prince are rarely found so it's a bit difficult to find the job description. But I'm sure anyways that standing in the public focus and representing the country is one of the main duties.

I'm having mixed feelings about this discussion of Frederik's abilities to speak in public; the other day I watched one of these 'the year in the royal family' programmes which the TV stations make each December. They showed again the clip where he told about his newborn daughter in front of a lot of media at Rigshospitalet. They pushed for a date of presentation of the newborn and he just winked at them and said 'fetch your sleeping bags'. He can be eloquent, charming and witty when he deals with the media; he definitely has his bad days as well and of course he has to work to eliminate those as far as he can. But I don't think he is only a bad public speaker.

Frankly if he does not like to do what is expected from him then he'll have to quit. Both country and family will survive the loss.

I don't think anyone is able to say that he doesn't like what he does because no one really knows what his feelings are about his role except his family and close friends. As for suggesting that he quit, some days perhaps he would love to but I don't think that is an option. The public and media would do as well to appreciate the fact that it takes all sorts to make the world go round, he is who he is and that's ok. :flowers: JMO

Yes but, if he had the choice would he be a crown prince. The job was thrust upon him because of who his mother is not necessarily a job he would have chosen for himself. We as 'normal' people get to choose the career paths we take in life, maybe he would prefer to be a postman or a doctor or ? who knows what. JMO :flowers:

He has had 40 years to deal with the position he's born into. Jeez, it's about time for him and his defenders to quit this excuse for his lack of productivity. There's far worse fate than being born a crown prince. He's paid generously and enjoys all the previlleges of his position while working only one or two days a week. There are millions of people would switch place with him.

As for likability, it's not enough to be liked by Danes. It's a monarch's job to represent his country. He will need to be liked or at least respected by non-Danes. So far, judging from his light-weight overseas trips and very few participation at international events, he appears to have very little stature outside of Denmark. This will hurt his position in the long run.

....As for likability, it's not enough to be liked by Danes. It's a monarch's job to represent his country. He will need to be liked or at least respected by non-Danes. So far, judging from his light-weight overseas trips and very few participation at international events, he appears to have very little stature outside of Denmark. This will hurt his position in the long run.

I agree that it is a monarch's job to represent his/her country, but why is it necessary for he/she to be liked by people from countries that are not their own? They won't be decided whether to keep or abolish the Danish monarchy, so why does a monarch need to be respected by non-Danes?

As for his stature outside of Denmark, IMO many of the European royals don't have a lot a stature outside of their home countries - the exemptions being the Spanish royals, the British royals and the Monaquese royals.

I agree that it is a monarch's job to represent his/her country, but why is it necessary for he/she to be liked by people from countries that are not their own? They won't be decided whether to keep or abolish the Danish monarchy, so why does a monarch need to be respected by non-Danes?

As for his stature outside of Denmark, IMO many of the European royals don't have a lot a stature outside of their home countries - the exemptions being the Spanish royals, the British royals and the Monaquese royals.

Agreed. I love to follow the royal families and try to keep up on the latest news when I can, but most of friends here would never even know who Prince Frederick, Princess Mary, Prince Philippe, Princess Letizia, etc. etc even are and moreover could never name what countries they are from.

Generally people know Prince Charles, William, Harry, Diana, Camilla, and the British Royals, but for the others its mostly a National thing and outside their own countries there is not much stature. In fact without the entourages, and if they put on jeans and a t-shirt, Frederick and Mary could go unnoticed in many places.

As for likability, it's not enough to be liked by Danes. It's a monarch's job to represent his country. He will need to be liked or at least respected by non-Danes. So far, judging from his light-weight overseas trips and very few participation at international events, he appears to have very little stature outside of Denmark. This will hurt his position in the long run.

I beg to differ.The only people who Frederik should be worried about pleasing are the ones who maintain his position as Crown Prince, Danes. The fact of the matter is that Denmark does not play significant role on the international scene. It is a small country with little over 5 million people. Moreover Frederik's role in international events like many royals is largely ceremonial. He isn't a diplomat nor is he a politician who has the ability to enact legislature that would affect Danes let alone people from other countries.

I beg to differ.The only people who Frederik should be worried about pleasing are the ones who maintain his position as Crown Prince, Danes.

Why? Then what is the point of Frederik coming to NYC, twice already, promoting/backing the Danish design and products? Frederik does have a position in the world, in which his actions are of importance. If he were not viable for Denmark to the rest of the world he wouldn't make the effort. Frederik's position in the world is not as insular, rather isolated, to Denmark as you think.

What is the point if he flys to another country, desperately seeking a position on the IOC, or visits the EU headquarters? If he's nonchalant (or dare I say "doesn't care") about his position or that of Denmark's on the world scene then why are the Danes paying for his lifestyle (because he looks cute in a suit? Come on...), or to be frank about it, his status/title/position in life? At this point, if he doesn't care, there really is no need for a monarchy after Margrethe.

Echoing Marengo's sentiments:

No that is not all that counts IMO. Though it comes in handy if people ´like´ their monarch/royal it is not a job requirement. It doesn´t say anything on how a royal does his/her job, just that he/she is likable. But as reigning royalty do not participate in some sort of popularity programme but actually are expected to contribute something to society and represent their country both at home as abroad I think there are much more things than just somebody´s likability that count.

And besides that, with arguments like that (the Danish taxpayer likes him so why would anybody else discuss it) a discussion will be largely impossible here, which is not something we (the moderators) would like.

I've always liked Prince Fredrick,there's something about him,I can just tell he's got a very kind heart.

dear benedikte and muhler, since from what i see you are both located in danemark, your disagreement on frederik's danish in quite interesting.
i know we are O.T., but i'd love to hear more on this.

i can't understand a single word in danish, so i judge from the images only and from the expressions and the body language. and IMO, frederik looks like a very open, warm, nice, sensitive and/but shy person. now of course he has got used to speaking in public, to being photographed etcetera, but from some gestures i think he is not completely, or better deeply, confortable with that - e.g. the constant habit of putting at least one hand into his pocket. i think that he has grown into accepting this shyness of his and has understood that he can be liked all the same (and if i am not mistaken he is quite popular in danemark), and i got the impression that this acceptance has made him more sure - see e.g. the speech at his mother's 70th birthday, where i think he did not stumled, but delivered quite well without appearing overanxious.
i also think that, were he an arrogant or cold guy, his uncertainty would be much more stressed and criticised, while, being the nice fellow he is, this "defect" is not heavily and badly commented upon.
but of course, i wait to see what you danish think about it.

He has had 40 years to deal with the position he's born into. Jeez, it's about time for him and his defenders to quit this excuse for his lack of productivity. There's far worse fate than being born a crown prince. He's paid generously and enjoys all the previlleges of his position while working only one or two days a week. There are millions of people would switch place with him.

Excuse the bluntness as I am not as articulate as some of the people on here but you don't get to tell his 'defenders' when to quit anything and I, being one of those defenders, will not quit based on someone else's opinions about the CP. :nonono:
And I'm sorry, but you don't see what he does 24/7, so a few minutes of news report every day and stories (often exaggerated) in tabloids doesn't equate to a sweeping generalisation that all he does is 'light-weight' overseas trips for the rest of the 168 hours of the week.

Frederik does need to make a good impression in the world and not only in Denmark. He is representing his country wherever he goes so he really has no other choice other than to abdicate the monarchy if he doesn't want to become King. And seeing him with other Royals and Diplomats around the world, there is nothing that gives me the impression he isn't respected so he is doing just fine in that area.

The impression I get with Frederik is exactly the same as royalone3. There's something warm about him. While he may not be the most gifted of public speakers, what he has that I don't see with most is his ability to make everyone (even the media) around him feel relaxed and comfortable, even though he may not be. His playfulness and his demeanor is what makes Frederik the man he is. There is nothing wrong with the way he represents his country. Not since Mary has been by his side anyway.

IMO, Frederik reminds me so much of his mother. I have noticed even now, QMII seems to be a little awkward when talking in a formal setting, sometimes stumbling over words or lines of a speech but she soldiers on and she still gets her message across loud and clear. Look how beloved she is by the Danes. You don't have to be a great speaker to be a great Queen.

What is privilege to you may not be a privilege to someone like Frederik.
We as 'commoners' see that lifestyle as a priviledge because we have lived our whole lives as 'commoners'. When we see something like the banquets they throw, the glamor, tiara's, clothes we instantly wish that for ourselves. We as a human race associate all these things (money) to having a 'great' life but we don't see the weight of expectations on these Royals minds, the need to be on guard and mindful of people they can trust, the pressure to keep an image and make a monarch relevant in today's society. There are so many more problems attached to a Royal than a commoner.

Frederik has never known what it is like to be a 'commoner' or an 'average joe' like the rest of us. He has been born and raised in the public life and would probably see something like becoming an 'average joe' more of a privilege than becoming a King and leaving your fate and life in the control of strangers you don't personally know. Because of it, his outlook on life and his decisions will differ greatly from you or I. So don't expect him to think the way we would and make the same decisions we would if we were in the same situation.

You are correct in saying there a millions of people who would switch places with him, only a few will ever be qualified enough though to represent Denmark like Frederik and only one will ever be King.

Back
Top Bottom