Crown Prince Frederik's Childhood and Early Adulthood

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen88

Nobility
City
Bremen
Country
Germany
I read that Frederik's birth was dangerous for mother and child.
How come?

Thanks for any insight!

Yes, I was wondering about that as well. What happened?

Ive never heard that, Interesting.

I'm not sure the details have been made public, but (the then) throne-follower Margrethe was scheduled to give birth at Amalienborg castle, but as the birth progressed she had to be rushed to hospital for a caesarean (probably Rigshospitalet where Christian and Isabella were also born)

Crown Prince Frederik's Youth/Early Adulthood

As far as I can see there is no general thread about Frederik before he met Mary.
There is no general biography either. A biography based on different sources.
So I didn't know where else to post this.

The former tennis player Frederik Fetterlein has written an auto biography, in which he mentiones CP Frederik, who at that time worked at the Danish embassy in France. (Where among other things the staff at Elysee mistook him for a chauffeur).

I don't know enough of Frederik Fetterlein to say whether he's too open mouthed or not.

Excerpst from article in BT.
Fetterlein gik på damejagt med kronprinsen - Kendte - BT.dk
Frederik gik på damejagt med Kronprinsen - Frederik went lady-hunting/cruising for ladies with the Crown Prince.

Frederik was 30 back then, Fetterlein was 28.
One of the hottest night clubs in Paris at that time was Le Bain Douche, unfortunately they wouldn't let Frederik in, so he turned to Fetterlein, who at that time was well-know in Paris (apparantly).

Frederik said: "Frederik, you gotta help me. I can't get in. I was rejected the other day".

Fetterlein: "Just tell them you (informal you) are the Prince of Denmark. Then they'll let you in at once. They love royals".

Frederik: "Yeah, but I did, but they laughed at me and said I had to come up with a better story next time".

The two of them arranged for them to go to the club together, but Fetterlein couldn't come, so when they met a couple of weeks later in order to play tennes, which they often did. And Frederik laughingly tells that he now has been admitted to the club: "Yes, and I think they've figured out who I am. Because they've send me a VIP membership and now treat me like a rockstar, when I show myself".

Fetterlein explains that he and Frederik hung out quite a bit in Paris: "There were always a lot of booze on the table and lots of beautiful girls, and in particularly that with the beautiful girls, was apart from tennis, a big interest I had in common with Frederik. He was crazy about them. And they about him.

Whether it was due to his pretty cool sense of humour and personality is not known.
It was never boring to be around him".

Fetterlein says the he and Frederik raced each other in the streets of Paris. Frederik in an enourmou Audi, Fetterlein in a neat Porche.

Q: But did Frederik score a lot of these women?
Fetterlein: "One is, I believe, not allowed to talk too much about the royals. - I'm glad my card doesn't say: Crown Prince Frederik, with those opportunities, I would have been dead today".

- As I said in the beginning. I don't know how much truth there is in this. A good deal I suspect! Frederik is for no reason constantly compared to his grandfather.

I believe the first time Frederik had a match with Fetterlein, he would not accept that he was soundly beaten. He insisted on rematches. - He is very competitive and will not quit.
That episode should be mentioned somewhere in this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/danish-royal-family-books-8188.html

Along with the Elysee episode.

Last edited:
thanks muhler, as nice story I think.
frederik does sound cool and funny, i do think this is one of his most endeargin qualities

A book has been published here in DK about Harward University, where Frederik went for a year: Kronprinsen så præsident blive klynget op - Royale - BT.dk

Frederik was a member of a fraternity called Adams House, which he describes as very liberal and artistic.
He went there on election night in 1992, where Clinton was elected president.
And this is Frederik's impressions from that night:

- "On election night I was invited to a room party in Adams House. They had decorated with garlands/festoons (?) and various little TV- sets in black and white, and then you walke around, sucked some beer and chatted with oneanother.
I remember when it was announced that Clinton has ensured a majority, then the whole room cheered. We were around 40-50 man gathered, I guess. It was packed full. Then there were someone, and I'll never forget it, who pulled out a live size picture of George H.W. Bush. The elder. As a sacrifice, almost pagan, it was hung from a noose and torn in a thousand pieces in an extacy that Clinton had won and that a new era could begin.
That made an impression on me back then. Young people are after all cynics, but that was a party like only American college students can celebrate. Coloured baloons everywhere and a photo of the ex-president in 1:1".

Frederik was very glad that he studied for a year at Harward before returning home to study at Aarhus University.
"Harward is a demanding place. The university can consume you, because there are many temptations, many offers. Many things you just have to include as well, before you can rest.
But as with big physical and mental efforts, there is also a big satisfaction in putting in a huge effort. It sets free the endorphines. And you feel, yes, set free. Liberated".

Thank you Muhler, I wonder what he means about "many temptations"? he is talking about bad stuff I guess!.................. I am sure it was a great time for him to be anonymous for a while and blend with the rest and at the same time to learn so much from a different cultur! neverthelss I guess he had girlsfrinds too and they didn't know who he was, can you imagine with this girls found out!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Thank you Muhler.I have never read any of these stories about him.

You are welcome :)

In this case however, I'm certain he meant many temptations in regards to studying.
He and a friend went across USA, coast to coast, after Harward, so I guess he had time to look at the local girls as well. ;)

In regards to the first post, the autobiography by Fetterlein. Fetterlein has come under considerable attack by others, he describes his book. They claim his view of persons and situations is very different form thiers.
So again, I don't know how reliable Fetterlein is.

What is known is this:
Frederik worked at the French embassy in Paris and met Fetterlein. - Check.
They played tennis a number of times. - Check.
They went to town together. - Check.

Thank you Muhler, I wonder what he means about "many temptations"? he is talking about bad stuff I guess!.................. I am sure it was a great time for him to be anonymous for a while and blend with the rest and at the same time to learn so much from a different cultur! neverthelss I guess he had girlsfrinds too and they didn't know who he was, can you imagine with this girls found out!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

ADDED: You are welcome too, IloveCP.

I translated a chapter from the portrait book from when Frederik met Mary as well as a number of anecdotes from his youth, but I can't remember in which thread they were posted. Perhaps someone can help?

In the mean time I'll post a number of translatios from my archive. (Got plenty of time this evening, have to pick up Mrs. Muhler and a couple of her colleaques from their Christmas lunch, sometime tonight....When they are finished :cheers:)

Last edited:
Excerpt from the book: Frederik – Kronprins af Danmark.

Part of pages 166-167.

When they after a couple of days turn the Toyota Landcruiser around in order to drive through the rainforest down towards Cooktown, Frederik turn on the mobile several times and hope for a connection. Finally after many hours of difficult driving there is hole through to Mary and he tells about the sight of the sea turtles, the sharks, the crocodiles and tells (her) that he miss her. A Frederik in love promise that that the two of them will see each other again in a couple of days and then Frederik will stay for about a week in Sydney before going home to Denmark. But Frederik has hardly finished the conversation before his mobile ring and on the display he recognise Queen Margrethe’s phone number.
- “My mother called and told that grandmother (mormor) had become weaker and that I should think about coming home as quickly as possible. Mormor’s had lived out her life. (*) And then we drove for 24 hours to Sydney in one go and only stopped to fill up with gas on the way. Mary and I had talked about that we should see each other as much as possible in the last days before I was to fly home. I phoned Mary and told that my mormor was dying and that I had to go home earlier than expected. Mary was of course disappointed but she immediately understood the seriousness and did all she could in the situation to support me”.

With the gas pedal nailed to the floor Frederik and Jeppe drive the more than 2.000 kilometres back with a cloud of dust behind them and Crown Prince’ two tired bodyguards trailing behind. Frederik and Jeppe take turns behind the wheel while the other sleep. Finally they get there.

The last evening in the city Frederik and Mary go out for dinner. Just the two of them. Frederik tells about his experiences up north. About the dives at Great Barrier Reef, where the diving instructor’s jaws drop when Jeppe and Frederik say that they both have more than 300 dives under their belts. The instructors think that the Danes are pulling their legs, because they fumble with their civilian diving equipment and put air-tanks and tubes together wrongly. They call Frederik and Jeppe daft cowboys, until they see the two Danish frogmen in the water. Frederik tells about the snakes on the camping sites where Jeppe and he spend the nights and about the rainforest at Cape York. And about his close relationship to his mormor, Queen Ingrid.
- “Then I promised Mary that I would return. She probably thought that this is a pledge he gives to all of them. But I knew deep inside that I would return. The next day I flew back five days before scheduled in the hope of getting home to my mormor”.

No matter whether the flight from Sydney to Copenhagen go via Singapore or Bangkok it’s 24 hours of exhausting travel across several continents and oceans and with plenty of time to let the thoughts run free. Frederik see Mary and mormor in front of him. A big live-giving love for Mary has grown within him and at the same time he is losing his beloved mormor. The Crown Prince so dearly wish to see his mormor again and to take a proper leave with the indispensable support of his childhood and youth.
And he gets home. Frederik drive directly from Copenhagen airport to Fredensborg Slot in order to be with Queen Ingrid in Kancellihuset. They get the quiet morning together alone. Frederik visits his mormor again in the afternoon and also later in the evening.
The next day the ninety years old Queen dies. On Tuesday 7th November 2000 a chapter in Denmark’s history ends. And one of the most important people in Frederik’s life is gone.
- “I actually didn’t tell mormor about Mary. But I knew with myself that it didn’t matter. Because many years ago she told me – very calmly and sweet – that she knew that she wouldn’t meet my chosen one, but she also knew that I would find the right one. As mormor said with that particular calmness and the overview that was hers. So it wasn’t like I felt that I should have whispered as one of the last things that I had met the woman in my life. I wasn’t annoyed about it. Even though I had it in the back of my mind. I didn’t say it – but I think she knew”.
After the burial of Queen Ingrid in Roskilde Cathedral on 14th November Frederik spend the winter-dark nights phoning or mailing Mary in Australia. Get to know her, explore her from a distance of 18.000 kilometres. For every phonecall, every mail and every letter he falls more in love.

(*) Very difficult to translate directly. “Mormor’s life was saturated/full”, is the closest thing I can come to a direct translation. An old expression meaning something like: That you have lived your life and it’s time to leave. – Substitute with an expression in your own languages.

Ahh! Wasn’t that sweet?

There are one or two f-words in the book too however. And also more contemporary expressions like “chilling out”. And Frederik describing himself as being on “nature’s acid” while trekking in Greenland.

You are welcome :)

In this case however, I'm certain he meant many temptations in regards to studying.
He and a friend went across USA, coast to coast, after Harward, so I guess he had time to look at the local girls as well. ;)

Thanks as always Muhler for your translations!

I took "temptations" as meaning opportunities in studying and (non-female ;) ) extra-curricular activities as well. From an European perspective, American universities seem to have a more active student life on campus. Not my opinion, just what I have been told by European friends of mine.

Muhler, just a small correction, Adams House is not a fraternity in the greek sense but a 'residential house'. Harvard and Yale (my alma mater) both copied Oxford and Cambridge in their college system. So Adams House is more comparable to Trinity College at Cambridge than Omega Theta Pi. :flowers:

Last edited:
Thanks as always Muhler for your translations!

I took "temptations" as meaning opportunities in studying and (non-female ;) ) extra-curricular activities as well. From an European perspective, American universities seem to have a more active student life on campus. Not my opinion, just what I have been told by European friends of mine.

Muhler, just a small correction, Adams House is not a fraternity in the greek sense but a 'residential house'. Harvard and Yale (my alma mater) both copied Oxford and Cambridge in their college system. So Adams House is more comparable to Trinity College at Cambridge than Omega Theta Pi. :flowers:

A residential house. Got it. :)
See, learned something already and it's only forenoon.

Here is a quote from Parade magazine about Frederik's childhood a couple of years ago.

The pair said they'll raise their children in a manner different from the prince's own upbringing. "My mum"--what he calls the much-loved queen, who has reigned for 37 years--"had me brought up by nannies and governesses. I didn't have much to do with my parents until I was 21. When I was small, I was presented to them, washed and brushed, before I was put to bed. I still see Nanny--she came to our wedding--but there is no way our two will be brought up like that."

The papers are full of stories about the death of Whitney houston.
Here from BT: Whitney mødte Frederik - Kendte - BT.dk

She met Frederik during a concert in DK in May 1988.

The article says she curtsied deeply to frederik and said: "I'm honoured to meet you, sir" . (The article use formal you, hence sir).

Frederik was heard replying: "Likewise".

As a little curiosum, as an April joke acouple of years or so later one of the major papers announced that Frederik had become engaged to the American singer, miss Whitney Houston.

wow so I gues had to be a shock for him to know this sad news!

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an article in Billed Bladet #07, 2012.
Jeg følte mig fri - I felt free.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen

- About Frederik's time at Harward University.
A Danish author, Rasmus Schjødt Pedersen has written an enthusiastic book about the university and Frederik has contributed with a couple of anecdotes and thoughs about his time there in 1992.

Rasmus Schjødt says about Frederik: "Frederik has an incredibly gemüthlich/cosy/forwarding/folksy way about him. He makes you feel welcome even if you are standing in the grandest chambers at Amalienborg. He rests within himself and it's obvious that behind the seriousness, he has a sense of humour. That was confirmed in earnest when he told his stories/anecdotes".

Frederik had just arrived at Harward and was sitting in the cafeteria, when he was approached by two Americans, who asked where he was from.
Frederik replied that he was Danish and had just landed".
Both of them then asked at the same time: "Danish"?!? Did he know the Danish prince who was going to study there?
Frederik replied that he had heard about him, but he didn't know that much. Okay, so they went on to talk about something else.
A couple of weeks later they learned the truth and that frederik had pulled their legs.

Frederik was also invited into some of the grand clubs at the campus. Really grand, located in mansions and furnished accordingly!
Frederik thought: "I really thought I was too old and I didn't like/care for that formalised and bit pompous touch the clubs had. There was a bit too much focus on ethiquette. But then I thought, there is one advantage of being a member: When all bar-activities in Cambridge closed down at around 01.00, you could just take your friends to the club, but you had your own key. And you were allowed to bring friends. It end sometimes that you brought a larger group with you and then there was free bar in there".

About Harward Frederik says: "I no doubt feel that Harward has prepared me for the role I have today as Crown Prince, and (for) the role I will have sometime in the future. I think Harward is in many ways progressive/visionary". Frederik emphasize the famous quote by JFK in the book: "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country".

During his stay at Harward, Frederik dated the New Yorker Nicole Maurer. At some point they went to Aspen, Colorado and here she visibly surprised Frederik by kissing him on the lips. The picture of his reaction in BB resembles this: :kiss::eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom