Crown Prince Frederik's 50th Birthday Celebrations: May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The poor children are almost collapsing now.

Vincent peaced out in the first hour. :lol: I've been really impressed that Josephine was still enjoying herself but now she's over it. There's been a bunch of seat/lap swapping going on. They're still doing really well. They're so well-behaved.

Aw, you can totally tell that Vincent is so tired.

Hopefully the pre-recorded bits are uploaded to their official channels. Somehow, I doubt it. Shame, really.

I don't understand why they would open up yesterday's dinner but geo-block this. DR never used to block viewers outside of DK from events like this, IIRC.

Hopefully the pre-recorded bits are uploaded to their official channels. Somehow, I doubt it. Shame, really.

I don't understand why they would open up yesterday's dinner but geo-block this. DR never used to block viewers outside of DK from events like this, IIRC.

Just a guess, but I would say it's probably a matter of licensing? A lot of copyrighted music was played and I could imagine them not having the rights to broadcast that outside of Denmark. IIRC DR's show for QMII's 75th birthday was geo-blocked as well.

:previous: Nor do I.

Anyway, here is a pic of the whole family: https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/res...0414/21059452-kronprinsen-50-r-rd-lber-t.jpeg

The clips with the children will be classic, so I think it's safe to say they will end up on the Net eventually.

Are you able to watch any of these clips outside DK: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kultur/fi...grinte-og-jublede-se-alle-hoejdepunkterne-fra

It's the various performers, not the children. But it's a beginning, right?

The whole show is going to be uploaded soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a guess, but I would say it's probably a matter of licensing? A lot of copyrighted music was played and I could imagine them not having the rights to broadcast that outside of Denmark. IIRC DR's show for QMII's 75th birthday was geo-blocked as well.

That's true. I wondered whether or not it might have had to do with licensing.

Well, hopefully the bits with the children will be made available.

Are you able to watch any of these clips outside DK: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kultur/fi...grinte-og-jublede-se-alle-hoejdepunkterne-fra

Hmm. Yes. I tried a few of the clips and they worked.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can watch them.

But I really hope all of the video packages get uploaded. I thoroughly enjoyed the musical entertainment but those video packages of not just the kids but the ones taking us through Fred's life were the show.

Thanks for all the updayes. Sounds like a lovely birthday celebration in which the Danes get to know their future king better!

Queen Silvia, however, could be seen reading Mary's speech translation. Maybe as a non-native speaker of Swedish, she doesn't understand Danish so well.

As far as I understand, correct me if I am wrong, Danish is actually closer to standard Norwegian (the difference between the two being mostly in pronunciation). The differences between Swedish and Danish on the other hand are more pronounced.
Norway has two official languages that are both varieties of Norwegian. One is Nynorsk based on the old dialects and standardised during the 1800s and the other is Bokmål which is the language that evolved in the cities and among the upper classes during the centuries that Norway was under Danish rule. Bokmål is to its vocabulary mainly Danish but the grammar and pronunciation is based on Norwegian.
Added to these two Norwegian varieties there's also the numerous local dialects spoken across the country.

:previous: Nor do I.

Anyway, here is a pic of the whole family: https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/res...0414/21059452-kronprinsen-50-r-rd-lber-t.jpeg

The clips with the children will be classic, so I think it's safe to say they will end up on the Net eventually.

I can see the clips, thank you so much for the link:flowers:
The whole show seems to be uploaded already, but unfortunately it's geoblocked:sad: I think copyright-issues for the music is a good guess for the reason. Maybe it will be uploaded to youtube - the documentary about Frederik still isn't, but we can always hope;)

Mary's speech from last night with English subtitles:

Gosh, another event for Frederik tonight! The family really do know how to celebrate big birthdays. ?
I've been liking how the CP children have been dressed over the past events; not too childish but not too adult-like. Just right for their ages.

Regarding the BRF's absence; they are reportedly friendly with the DRF (there was a programme - I think for the Diamond Jubilee - where HM was seen in her private sitting room talking to the then PM David Cameron and we could see a photo of Margrethe and Frederik on the desk) so I don’t doubt that they were invited, but it would have been nice to send the Wessexes as they normally attend continental royal events. As others have said here the BRF do seem to steer clear of European events, and it does give off the “we’re better than them” impression somewhat. Even sending just one member from the royal family would have more polite than a complete no-show as this was a grand party. But, it’s got to the point where I expect the BRF’s absence more than presence at such events.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Victoria's Georg Jensen's Daisy brooch is a nice gesture to Denmark.

Nice catch!

Are you able to watch this?

It's the gala Saturday. All 3 hours of it.

https://www.dr.dk/tv/se/frederik-50...affel-direkte-fra-christiansborg-slot#!/00:16

Works well for me. Hope the same for others. Thank you for posting! We just need the documentary and the concert now. At the very least the video packages they showed between the live entertainment. Please...

Judging from todays comments of the social media, it was Vincent who rocked last night.
Partly by nodding off during the performance of a stand-up comedian and partly for his brutal honesty when telling about his family, despite hints from big brother that you don't tell everything to the camera. Vincent did... :D

BT has a transcript of one of the more memorable segments:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kronprinsen-blev-hyldet-men-det-var-en-anden-der-stjal-showet

Not even a friendly but stern look from big brother could stop the little prince once he had started telling that "mother gets cross if we goof too much", and Prince Christian corrected by saying: "Nah, she just says we must pull ourselves together."

"No, she gets cross, Christian," says Vincent with a little mischievous smile.

"No, I won't say she does that," says Christian.

"She does."

"No, she doesn't."

"She does."

"No, Vincent," says Christian and ends the discussion with intense eye-contact.

--------------------

:previous: Soon hopefully. ?

In the meantime enjoy this BB video of the DRF arriving at the concert yesterday, Alexandra is towards the end. Narrated by the omnipresent Ulrik Ulriksen:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...g-mary-havde-en-forrygende-aften-med-boernene

Notice Bella, darting over to hold dad's hand - knocking over old ladies, wheelchairs and invalid animals in the process. :D

I apologize if this has been asked before but do we have a picture of the white lycra outfit that Mary was referring to in her speech as To be brutally honest… it simply didn’t work ?

Judging from todays comments of the social media, it was Vincent who rocked last night.
Partly by nodding off during the performance of a stand-up comedian and partly for his brutal honesty when telling about his family, despite hints from big brother that you don't tell everything to the camera. Vincent did... :D

BT has a transcript of one of the more memorable segments:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kronprinsen-blev-hyldet-men-det-var-en-anden-der-stjal-showet

Not even a friendly but stern look from big brother could stop the little prince once he had started telling that "mother gets cross if we goof too much", and Prince Christian corrected by saying: "Nah, she just says we must pull ourselves together."

"No, she gets cross, Christian," says Vincent with a little mischievous smile.

"No, I won't say she does that," says Christian.

"She does."

"No, she doesn't."

"She does."

"No, Vincent," says Christian and ends the discussion with intense eye-contact.

--------------------

:previous: Soon hopefully. ?

In the meantime enjoy this BB video of the DRF arriving at the concert yesterday, Alexandra is towards the end. Narrated by the omnipresent Ulrik Ulriksen:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...g-mary-havde-en-forrygende-aften-med-boernene

Notice Bella, darting over to hold dad's hand - knocking over old ladies, wheelchairs and invalid animals in the process. :D

Love Vincent! Too cute!

I, for one, am not one bit surprised Mary is the disciplinarian parent! And good on her!

To Mister Muhler and Mrs Roskilde.

The attitude of Queen Margarethe II was not this of a 3 month Widow Queen.
I am sorry to tell this ! I am oldfashioned !

someone has already shared a few pictures from Mary's photobook:

Cool. ?

To Mister Muhler and Mrs Roskilde.

The attitude of Queen Margarethe II was not this of a 3 month Widow Queen.
I am sorry to tell this ! I am oldfashioned !

No need to apologize.

Well, I think QMII marked the fact that she is a recent widow by keeping her speech to Frederik so short as it was. And by mentioning PH.
But Frederik did turn 50 this week and that is a big day here in DK and QMII was the host at the gala, she couldn't get around that, even if she wanted to.

Apart from that I think it was a relief PH died as soon as he did, before he faded away in front of the family.

And life goes on.
Besides, mourning is a private thing. QMII doesn't have to prove that she mourn PH, that is assumed as a matter of fact.

Different cultures, different customs.

Last edited:
Cool, looks like the whole book is scanned. ?

Fellow members, would you still like me to scan the book, once I get it?

Are you sure it's all? I only count about 50 pictures, and I thought the book has more than 200 pages.

If there are more, it would be really great if you could scan them:flowers::flowers: If not, the existing folder is enough for me. Although your scans usually have a much better quality, I know how much work such scans can be and we can get the idea with the existing scans.

Are you sure it's all? I only count about 50 pictures, and I thought the book has more than 200 pages.

If there are more, it would be really great if you could scan them:flowers::flowers: If not, the existing folder is enough for me. Although your scans usually have a much better quality, I know how much work such scans can be and we can get the idea with the existing scans.

Didn't really look at all of them. If there are only 50 scans it can't be all the book. :ermm:

Okay, forget my previous post. ?
I'll edit it.

Back
Top Bottom