Crown Prince Frederik's 50th Birthday Celebrations: May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew someone would point to one or another occasion just to stress "Oh, but there and then they did attend, so you´re wrong...!":bang::whistling:

Yes, one will always find some small exceptions to the rule...

I can't answer for Duc et Pair, but I guess he meant that Edward and Sophie actually seem to have a personal relationship with many of the continental crown princes/princesses and former crown princes (now monarchs), as shown by the fact that they attended Willem-Alexander's birthday parties and other private events.

It is indeed odd that they didn't attend yesterday because, according to the British posters ( I didn't check), they had no previously scheduled engagements. Maybe if they had received a personal invitation,rather than a court-to-court invitation sent to Buckingham Palace, they may have come. With a court-to-court invitation , a decision could have been made (high up by the Queen herself) that no one would be sent and Edward and Sophie were not even consulted. I think it is totally unfair to blame them for not showing up.

Infanta Pilar was also no member of the official Royal Family when her brother was King but stil she represented him at some Events of former reigning Families abroad. There was also nobody from the at the funeral in Altshausen.

I agree. Infanta Elena is still an HRH and will be for the rest of her life. She doesn't need to be an official member of the Royal House (Casa Real) to represent the King in some family events, unless there is some kind of political issue about the Royal House reimbursing her for the cost of taking part in such events. It may seem far-fetched, but given the scrutiny the monarchy gets in Spain, it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
There has been some discussion about Nikolai not having the Order of the Elephant, but there are some medals on his lapel. Does anyone know what they are? Also, the Daily Mail says that QMII wore her daisy brooch for the balcony appearance because it's the national flower of Denmark. Is that true? If not, what is Denmark's national flower?

Wonderful event. Thanks to all for their links, translations, and comments. :flowers:
Denmark has no official flower but Daisy won a competition in the 80s no doubt because of the flowers connection to the Queen.

There has been some discussion about Nikolai not having the Order of the Elephant, but there are some medals on his lapel. Does anyone know what they are?

Commemorative medals. From birthdays, jubilees and the like :flowers:

Last edited:
There has been some discussion about Nikolai not having the Order of the Elephant, but there are some medals on his lapel. Does anyone know what they are? :flowers:

They are the commemorative medals presented to the members of DRF. I believe Nikolai is wearing the Medal for the 100th Anniversary of the Birth of King Frederik IX, Queen Ingrid Commemorative Medal, Prince Henriks 75th Birthday Medal, Commemorative Medal on the Occasion of the 70th Birthday of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe, Commemorative Medal for the Ruby Jubilee of Queen Margarethe of Denmark, Commemorative Medal on the Occasion of the 75th Birthday of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe and Commemorative Medal for the Golden Wedding of Her Majesty Queen Margrethe and His Royal Highness Prince Henrik.

BTW, will there be a commemorative medal for yesterday's birthday ?

I doubt it since it hasn't been announced up till now. Besides, the commemorative medals are usually issued for the anniversaries of the Regent or Regent Couple.
I guess the next medal will be the 80th Birthday Medal of QM.

Such a ridiculous question that always comes up when the BRF choose to be absent. Of course they were invited. The collective European royal families haven't made some sort of pact to exclude the British royals – they themselves choose to exclude themselves from most European gatherings despite having an abundance of people they could potentially send. To me, it's a laughable holier-than-thou attitude to have (an attitude most appallingly exhibited for Queen Fabiola's funeral), but it's their choice. It is what it is, but please, let's not make up excuses for them :rolleyes:

I doubt the BRF weren't invited. The most likely people to attend were the Earl and Countess of Wessex, it may be worth noting its half term and a bank holiday weekend here in the UK so they may well have long standing plans to take the children away, who knows. They obviously get on well with European royals and Edward is even godfather to one of Joachim's children so I'm sure if they could have gone they would have. I think the difference between some European monarchies and the Windsors is that they wouldn't just send someone else but let those with a personal connection go, if they can't then they don't just send someone else whereas other monarchies might.

I have to say at times watching last night I wouldn't have been surprised if they had announced MII was abdicating. I've never thought she would but this just seemed such a grand celebration, I guess in part maybe its a first step in getting us use to seeing Frederik centre of attention in a way he will when he is King. I was surprised we didn't see Harald and Sonja from Norway but then hasn't Harald been ill recently? Also I thought we would see Guillaume and Stephanie, not that its not nice to see MT and Henri.

Are there any close up' s of the Greeks- especially Phillipos?
And if yes where can I find them?

I have to say at times watching last night I wouldn't have been surprised if they had announced MII was abdicating. I've never thought she would but this just seemed such a grand celebration, I guess in part maybe its a first step in getting us use to seeing Frederik centre of attention in a way he will when he is King. I was surprised we didn't see Harald and Sonja from Norway but then hasn't Harald been ill recently? Also I thought we would see Guillaume and Stephanie, not that its not nice to see MT and Henri.

It wouldn't have surprised me either.

She looked frail to me, more frail for every year. But don't get me wrong, her mind is still sharp!
However, should QMII consider abdicating this is the year where she is most likely to do so.
This week has been a tremendous PR success for Frederik. This was Frederik being hailed as the new king. Not in title, but in the minds of the Danes.

I'm serious! Judging from the comments and editorials he and Mary has now got the final stamp of approval. Even, grudgingly, from republicans.

It must be good for QMII to know that the succession is secure.
When I listened to Mary's speech yesterday, I looked at QMII more than Frederik and the thought that came to mind, was back in the 90's when Queen Ingrid suddenly gave an improvised speech to her daughter, saying that now she can safely close her eyes.
I don't want QMII to close her eyes now, instead I want her to enjoy her remaining years being proud of her son, the king.

I would like for QMII to abdicate. Partly because M&F are at their prime now, but also because I would like the day when Frederik becomes king to be a happy day.
QMII is immensely respected as it is, if she gives way to M&F there will be no end to the praise she will get. She will never be remembered as an old woman who clinged to the throne until she eventually died of old age. And Frederik will never be a "Prince Charles" (which is a considerable concern on the streets here in DK).

Last edited:
Such a ridiculous question that always comes up when the BRF choose to be absent. Of course they were invited. The collective European royal families haven't made some sort of pact to exclude the British royals – they themselves choose to exclude themselves from most European gatherings despite having an abundance of people they could potentially send. To me, it's a laughable holier-than-thou attitude to have (an attitude most appallingly exhibited for Queen Fabiola's funeral), but it's their choice. It is what it is, but please, let's not make up excuses for them :rolleyes:

Well said :flowers: , even Liechtenstein was presented this time (obviously they were invited) and people are still trying to say the British was not invited so they were not here. Maybe Liechtenstein and Denmark have some special connections which we don't know so they got the invitation while the British didn't :whistling:. And TBH I don't expect the British to attend such events, they are always like besides the Wessexs they don't have other members to present while they actually have a plenty of working members.

Same thought as you on abdication. Maybe not an actual abdication but I guess at least Margrethe will share more duties of monarch with Frederick. Both Harald and Sonja have some health issues recently so their absence isn't that surprised to me, IF Margrethe really decides to abdicate, maybe it will influence their neighbour Norway too?

Last edited:
A BB video of Mary's full speech:

A BT article about what happened after the cameras were turned off.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/poelsevogn-og-dj-saadan-festede-frederik-da-kameraerne-blev-slukket

The party continued until around 02.00.

Now, most of the names in this article won't mean anything to most here, so I'll only translate the quotes.

"It was really a good party where everyone felt good. It was very down to earth, as you would expect of other larger parties you have been to.
All of a sudden a hot-dog stand was standing in the middle of the hall. It had been wheeled in in the middle of the whole thing."

"They were good hot-dogs. In my family we also hire a hot-dog stand from time to time, when there are many.So I thought it was an excellent idea. It's perhaps also the sort of things you need well into the night, when you become hungry."

"I thought it was fantastic to let the party go from the very traditional dinner to end up in a very folksy and merry way. It was my experience that everyone enjoyed being there and there was really a good mood."

"It was really delightful to experience the contrast between the grand royal traditions and then dancing to 80's music at a disco. It created a really good atmosphere."

When the party started the traditions stopped and the atmosphere became informal and relaxed. You could as guest freely go up and chat to anyone you wanted - including Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and the Queen herself.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't have surprised me either.

She looked frail to me, more frail for every year. But don't get me wrong, her mind is still sharp!
However, should QMII consider abdicating this is the year where she is most likely to do so.
This week has been a tremendous PR success for Frederik. This was Frederik being hailed as the new king. Not in title, but in the minds of the Danes.

I'm serious! Judging from the comments and editorials he and Mary has now got the final stamp of approval. Even, grudgingly, from republicans.

It must be good for QMII to know that the succession is secure.
When I listened to Mary's speech yesterday, I looked at QMII more than Frederik and the thought that came to mind, was back in the 90's when Queen Ingrid suddenly gave an improvised speech to her daughter, saying that now she can safely close her eyes.
I don't want QMII to close her eyes now, instead I want her to enjoy her remaining years being proud of her son, the king.

I would like for QMII to abdicate. Partly because M&F are at their prime now, but also because I would like the day when Frederik becomes king to be a happy day.
QMII is immensely respected as it is, if she gives way to M&F there will be no end to the praise she will get. She will never be remembered as an old woman who clinged to the throne until she eventually died of old age. And Frederik will never be a "Prince Charles" (which is a considerable concern on the streets here in DK).

I think Margrethe needs to get used to being a widow before she makes another huge life change. But I do think you make some valid points.

If she abdicated now and quit her work, her sadness after Henrik's death would have deepened; let her wait a bit.
While he has something to do, she doesn't have many time to ponder.

I don't think colors are age specific.
Would it be better if she only wore black like Queen Victoria?

serious question...?!:ermm:

Same thought as you on abdication. Maybe not an actual abdication but I guess at least Margrethe will share more duties of monarch with Frederick. Both Harald and Sonja have some health issues recently so their absence isn't that surprised to me, IF Margrethe really decides to abdicate, maybe it will influence their neighbour Norway too?

If that happens another deeply monarchial principle would die, too. Only a few years ago the only european Kingdom (besides Luxembg. as Grand Duchy) an abdication knew were The Netherlands.
I still very much cherish the idea of "The King is dead! Long live the King!"

And didnt the danish Queen once say she would stay until she would "fall off" her stool? I understand that as "I reign until I die!"....?!:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Once monarchy becomes a popularity contest, the hereditary principle is lost. What if god forbid Frederick runs into a scandal or something. Do the Danes then say well he should abdicate for his son.

Plus I don’t know about Denmark, but in Britain public loyalty could never shift to Charles as long as HMQ was living. She’d always be Queen in the people’s mind.

I suspect it would be the same for QMII.

Last edited:
Beautiful speech!!!! I was so moved that I had some tears too!
I noticed that Victoria and Haakon were not following the english script on the table like Maxima and Mathilde were reading. Does danish sounds similar to swedish and norwegian? I thought only swedish and norwegian were similar and not danish.

Please remain on topic of this thread! This is not a thread about a possible abdication! Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice. Thank you for your understanding!

I meant "should have been invited" as in it being most unusual if they had not.

In fact the former Chief-of-Ceremonies, Christian Eugen Olsen, expressed considerable surprise the BRF was not represented.
The absence of the Spanish royals was no surprise as they are a bit understaffed these years in regards to working adult couples.
Monaco was not discussed.

I understand the DRF (can't say about other Continental RFs) extend a general invitation to the various royal families, who then let it be known who will come.
While the BRF extend personal invitations. Hence why Victoria and Daniel went to W&K's wedding instead of the Swedish King and Queen, rather than accompanying them which is more common on the Continent.

Probably Monaco was invited, but had the Formula I races this weekend.

A BB video of Mary's full speech:

A BT article about what happened after the cameras were turned off.
https://www.bt.dk/royale/poelsevogn-og-dj-saadan-festede-frederik-da-kameraerne-blev-slukket

The party continued until around 02.00.

Now, most of the names in this article won't mean anything to most here, so I'll only translate the quotes.

"It was really a good party where everyone felt good. It was very down to earth, as you would expect of other larger parties you have been to.
All of a sudden a hot-dog stand was standing in the middle of the hall. It had been wheeled in in the middle of the whole thing."

"They were good hot-dogs. In my family we also hire a hot-dog stand from time to time, when there are many.So I thought it was an excellent idea. It's perhaps also the sort of things you need well into the night, when you become hungry."

"I thought it was fantastic to let the party go from the very traditional dinner to end up in a very folksy and merry way. It was my experience that everyone enjoyed being there and there was really a good mood."

"It was really delightful to experience the contrast between the grand royal traditions and then dancing to 80's music at a disco. It created a really good atmosphere."

When the party started the traditions stopped and the atmosphere became informal and relaxed. You could as guest freely go up and chat to anyone you wanted - including Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and the Queen herself.

The coverage was by accident covering a lot of Queen Máxima's massive diamonds in movement. Another plus for the cameraman.
:cool:

Beautiful speech!!!! I was so moved that I had some tears too!
I noticed that Victoria and Haakon were not following the english script on the table like Maxima and Mathilde were reading. Does danish sounds similar to swedish and norwegian? I thought only swedish and norwegian were similar and not danish.

Yes. The Nordic cousins can understand each other speaking their respective languages. I recall the expedition Frederik went on with Victoria and Haakon a few years back; they all spoke their respective languages and understood each other.

I believe Frederik even tried to speak some Swedish when he was interviewed after competing in the Vasaloppet.

---------------- Live links from BB and DR1 ----------------------

Billed Bladet start their coverage at 19.00, that's in 15 minutes:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...a-ankomsten-til-frederiks-foedselsdagskoncert

DR1 have already started, but not much is happening until past 19.00, when Frederik's 500 invited guests arrive and I guess they will mainly be local celebs.
So I suggest you see if you can see anything and then return in about 45 minutes from now.
https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1

You will get plenty of warning from resident Danes before M&F arrive.

Was shocked to see King Constantine in a wheelchair though it was great to see he made it to the Gala Banquet.

Okay the roadshow continues tonight with a show in honor of Frederik.

Coverage starts at 18.00 on DR1. - That's in 8 hours from now. And hopefully they won't block the transmission. We will see the guests arriving.
Then the entertainment starts at 20.00 and ends around 22.00. - Probably a little later. There are always delays and finishing comments in the studio and so on.
There may be breaks with news updates.
It's a BIG event! A 12.000 strong audience.

Thank you so much for the information. I've just tuned in. Countess Alexandra's just arrived. 12,000 is A LOT!

Crown Princess Mary has blown away Crown Prince Frederik, and the entire Denmark, with her loving, humorous, touching, personal speech full of heartfelt love for Frederik. She gave him a huge declaration of love at live television, and where Frederik smiled, cried and laughed, so did the rest of Denmark.

People are blown away! And this is probably the best, most touching and deepest speech in the Danish Royal House ever.

What a love that's just has grown over the years. And what an insight Mary has in whom Frederik is. Frederik's reaction said everything. And he kissed and kissed her for open TV screens, he was so moved and overwhelmed :wub:

Her speech is praised everywhere in the Danish media today and on social media:

https://www.bt.dk/royale/mary-fik-frederik-til-at-graede-laes-hele-hendes-fantastiske-tale-her
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/m...g-er-lykkelig-du-fejede-benene-vaek-under-mig
Kronprinsesse Mary fik hele salen til at grine: - Skat, du står stadig ret skarpt - TV 2
Kronprinsesse Mary imponerede stort med tale - den kaldes rørende, poetisk og morsom - TV 2
https://www.bt.dk/danmark/eksperter-marys-tale-var-mere-personlig-end-vanligt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjQV66cA5Fk/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

This couple, Frederik & Mary, are just the most lovely genuine royal couple.

Being so far removed, I'm always curious about public perspective/perception, so thank you for this insight! I'm so pleased this week and the family has been well received by Denmark.

Denmark has no official flower but Daisy won a competition in the 80s no doubt because of the flowers connection to the Queen.

So appropriate, so adorable.

I was surprised we didn't see Harald and Sonja from Norway but then hasn't Harald been ill recently?
Well, he was admitted to hospital with an infection in November last year, but he is fine again from that, and was (together with Queen Sonja) on a state visit to Argentina in March.
And last month, he had to cancel some engagements due to strain and pain in one of his foots. But he is fine again now, and neither him or Queen Sonja had other royal duties yesterday.
So why didn't they attend? Well, King Harald is suffering from chronic back/leg pain and looks more and more frail, while Queen Sonja (although amazingly fit for her age) suffers from arthritis.
And with the exception of a few more state visits, they are not likely to attend many foreign events.

DR1 Live Stream is not working (again), but Billet Bladet is functioning perfectly from Germany.

Back
Top Bottom