Crown Prince Frederik's 50th Birthday Celebrations: May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frederik is a very emotional man. We never see public displays of emotion like that in the British royal family for example.

It is nice, but it can reinforce a perception of immaturity which has plagued him since he was a young man (which he is not anymore BTW).

Context matters quite a bit here, don't you think? Frederik is an emotional man but he lets these emotions show generally on happy occasions that are connected to him, personally. He wells up at a song on his 50th birthday, surrounded by loved ones, after several days of a huge outpouring of public affection. He got emotional at the christenings of his children and at his own wedding. And so on.

Immaturity, to me, is when someone can't control their negative emotions or moods, (anger, frustration, boredom, petulance), especially in public.

I always find the ‘politics’, for lack of a better word, quite interesting during large royal gatherings.

Nothing surprising about the BRF not attending but I wonder why no Spanish royals.

That’s the two largest royal houses missing.

The King and Queen of Spain had a more pressing engagement - the final of the Champions League in Kiel between Real Madrid and Liverpool. Madrid won.

They had their priorities right - an event which meant a lot to the people of Spain over celebrating a birthday of a distant cousin.

Last edited:
I love the Scandinavian royals' gettogethers. Everybody looks as if they have a lot of fun. I always find it incredibly disappointing when no members of the BRF bother to turn up.

The King and Queen of Spain had a more pressing engagement - the final of the Champions League in Kiel between Real Madrid and Liverpool. Madrid won.

They had their priorities right - an event which meant a lot to the people of Spain over celebrating a birthday of a distant cousin.

The Champions League Final in Kiev was in the presence of Don Juan Carlos. His son the King and his spouse had engagements in Spain for Armed Forces' Day.

Last edited:
Margrethe seems to be in her "pink period" (a pink dress for the exhibition of her son´s new painting, pink on the balcony yesterday and some kind of pink last night) - a bit too much of pink IMO for a almost 80 year old...

Thank you, CrownPrincePingo.
Now that you remind me, I seem to remember the gift of the tiara though I haven't studied it in detail.
The goldsmith, Nicholas Appel, really has mastered making very authentic looking flowers. The history of the transformation of the gold - from coin, to flower to tiara and brooches is a great story in itself.
I think the tiara looked good with the warm tones of Queen Margrethe's peachy pink gown.

Okay the roadshow continues tonight with a show in honor of Frederik.
M&F will be there and so will Joachim and our Marie, but not it seems QMII and Benedikte.
The music and entertainment is probably not to her taste anyway, and it's her son who is in focus.
The interesting thing is whether the children will be there.
Certainly Nikolai and Felix, that's a sure one I think.
And Isabella and Christian are very good bets IMO.
But Vincent and Josephine? The whole thing starts at 20.00 - around bedtime and there is school tomorrow. I think they are a big maybe.
However, the voices tell me the children will be there. We'll see.

Coverage starts at 18.00 on DR1. - That's in 8 hours from now. And hopefully they won't block the transmission. We will see the guests arriving.
Then the entertainment starts at 20.00 and ends around 22.00. - Probably a little later. There are always delays and finishing comments in the studio and so on.
There may be breaks with news updates.
It's a BIG event! A 12.000 strong audience.

What a wonderful event, Frederik surrounded by his family and friends, plus most of his peers, making time for this event even though some of them have already become monarchs.

I loved the honest speeches of Mary and QM, no doubt Frederik is a complex human being but he is authentic, what is a decisive factor why he is so popular. The public can identify with him, so these huge celebrations across many days seem natural and genuine.
Frederik can be very lucky to become King in a country like Denmark, where he and is family is loved and respected so much.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, providing pictures and videos!

Wow - Crown Princess Mary gave an amazing speech. What an ending! Frederik looked like he was on the verge of tears at various points. She really loves her Frederik, that much is clear.

I hope a transcript is posted.

What an amazing speech from CP Mary :wub: Just so emotional, and what an ending. Hearing Lis sing and then Mary's speech! ?

Wow. Just wow. Damn, Mary :verysad: :wub:

Crown Princess Mary has blown away Crown Prince Frederik, and the entire Denmark, with her loving, humorous, touching, personal speech full of heartfelt love for Frederik. She gave him a huge declaration of love at live television, and where Frederik smiled, cried and laughed, so did the rest of Denmark.

People are blown away! And this is probably the best, most touching and deepest speech in the Danish Royal House ever.

What a love that's just has grown over the years. And what an insight Mary has in whom Frederik is. Frederik's reaction said everything. And he kissed and kissed her for open TV screens, he was so moved and overwhelmed :wub:

Her speech is praised everywhere in the Danish media today and on social media:

https://www.bt.dk/royale/mary-fik-frederik-til-at-graede-laes-hele-hendes-fantastiske-tale-her
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/m...g-er-lykkelig-du-fejede-benene-vaek-under-mig
Kronprinsesse Mary fik hele salen til at grine: - Skat, du står stadig ret skarpt - TV 2
Kronprinsesse Mary imponerede stort med tale - den kaldes rørende, poetisk og morsom - TV 2
https://www.bt.dk/danmark/eksperter-marys-tale-var-mere-personlig-end-vanligt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjQV66cA5Fk/?taken-by=detdanskekongehus

This couple, Frederik & Mary, are just the most lovely genuine royal couple.

Last edited:
I regret the absence of any member of the British Royal family..

According to the commentators on TV they should have been invited.

I guess they simply had other engagements.

A BT (with photos) of why Nikolai did not accompany Alexandra: https://www.bt.dk/royale/undrede-du-dig-ogsaa-derfor-kom-alexandra-alene-til-frederiks-foedselsdag

The reason is simply that Alexandra is no longer a member of the DRF, but Nikolai is, so he accompanied his father and bonus-mother.

M&F opened the ball last evening to the the very appropriate tunes of The Power of Love: https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/se-billedet-frederik-og-mary-aabnede-ballet

Last edited by a moderator:
They could have sent the Gluocesters as the Duchess is Danish. Or de Wessexes. It is strange indeed.

Monaco is excused as the Grand-Prix de Monte-Carlo is exactly this weekend. The world focus on the principality.

Spain is excused as it was Armed Forces' Day with a grand ceremonial parade and Don Juan Carlos was in Kiev, witnessing Real Madrid extending their subscription on the Champions' League trophy.

Were they invited ?

According to the commentators on TV they should have been invited.

I guess they simply had other engagements.

I guess you mean that they (the BRF) "must have been invited". Modals have different semantic values in different germanic languages and that may cause some confusion.

Probably they were invited, but we simply don't know unless the Court confirms it. A conspiracy theorist would suggest there may be some retaliation for the lack of European royal guests at Harry and Meghan's wedding, but the Danish court is too professional to engage in that sort of "tit-for-tat" policy.

They could have sent the Gluocesters as the Duchess is Danish. Or de Wessexes. It is strange indeed.

Monaco is excused as the Grand-Prix de Monte-Carlo is exactly this weekend. The world focus on the principality.

Spain is excused as it was Armed Forces' Day with a grand ceremonial parade and Don Juan Carlos was in Kiev, witnessing Real Madrid extending their subscription on the Champions' League trophy.

Queen Sofia or Infanta Elena could have attended. They would have to go alone, but GD Henri also attended Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday gala by himself, didn't he ?

Last edited:
Were they invited ? Probably yes, but we don’t know for sure.

I´m sure they were! Why would the BENELUX states and even Liechtenstein be invited then and the UK not...?:whistling:

Again and again, they do not have interest in mingling with their continental counterparts, except they have to because of official visits or engagements with the exception of weddings of heirs to the thrones - but this is rather a taking part as a duty, not because they enjoy in doing so...
I mean, Prince Harry not even having invited the greek royal family, or at least 1 or 2 members, for his wedding although his grandfather comes from it, his father is terribly close to the Ex-Monarchs that he even chose Constantine a godfather of brother William, speaks volumes! He rather decided to invite these, partly, ridiculous show-biz, celebrities instead....

Last edited:
Were they invited ?

I guess you mean that they (the BRF) "must have been invited". Modals have different semantic values in different germanic languages and that may cause some confusion.

Probably they were invited, but we simply don't know unless the Court confirms it. A conspiracy theorist would suggest there may be some retaliation for the lack of European royal guests at Harry and Meghan's wedding, but the Danish court is too professional to engage in that sort of "tit-for-tat" policy.

Queen Sofia or Infanta Elena could have attended. They would have to go alone, but GD Henri also attended Queen Margrethe's 75th birthday gala by himself, didn't he ?

Sadly the Infanta Doña Elena is no member anymore of the King's House. Doña Sofía could have attended but maybe she was in Altshausen or she was probably represented by her brother Konstantinos.

I´m sure they were! Why would the BENELUX states and even Liechtenstein be invited then and the UK not...?:whistling:

Again and again, they do not have interest in mingling with their continental counterparts, except they have to because of official visits or engagements with the exception of weddings of heirs to the thrones - but this is rather a taking part as a duty, not because they enjoy in doing so...
I mean, Prince Harry not even having invited the greek royal family, or at least 1 or 2 members, for his wedding although his grandfather comes from it, his father is terribly close to the Ex-Monarchs that he even chose Constantine a godfather of brother William, speaks volumes! He rather decided to invite these, partly, ridiculous show-biz, celebrities instead....

For the 40th and 50th birthday of Willem-Alexander the Wessexes were present, so it is not true that they only do "duty".

Last edited by a moderator:

I meant "should have been invited" as in it being most unusual if they had not.

In fact the former Chief-of-Ceremonies, Christian Eugen Olsen, expressed considerable surprise the BRF was not represented.
The absence of the Spanish royals was no surprise as they are a bit understaffed these years in regards to working adult couples.
Monaco was not discussed.

I understand the DRF (can't say about other Continental RFs) extend a general invitation to the various royal families, who then let it be known who will come.
While the BRF extend personal invitations. Hence why Victoria and Daniel went to W&K's wedding instead of the Swedish King and Queen, rather than accompanying them which is more common on the Continent.

Were they invited ?

Such a ridiculous question that always comes up when the BRF choose to be absent. Of course they were invited. The collective European royal families haven't made some sort of pact to exclude the British royals – they themselves choose to exclude themselves from most European gatherings despite having an abundance of people they could potentially send. To me, it's a laughable holier-than-thou attitude to have (an attitude most appallingly exhibited for Queen Fabiola's funeral), but it's their choice. It is what it is, but please, let's not make up excuses for them :rolleyes:

I meant "should have been invited" as in it being most unusual if they had not.

I am not sure if I understood what you were saying then. To me, when one says "They should have been invited", that means they ought to have been invited (i.e. it would have been right or expected to invite them), but, for some reason, they were not. When I want to say that they were probably invited, I say "they must have been invited".

Last edited:
Sadly the Infanta Doña Elena is no member anymore of the King's House. Doña Sofía could have attended but maybe she was in Altshausen or she was probably represented by her brother Konstantinos.

Infanta Pilar was also no member of the official Royal Family when her brother was King but stil she represented him at some Events of former reigning Families abroad. There was also nobody from the at the funeral in Altshausen.

Felipe is Frederik's peer and very likely they have been friends on a personal level for many years, Felipe is Vincent's godfather.
Felipe (and Letizia) could not attend because they had an important event in Spain (would have been interesting to see in case there was no Armed Forces event, if Felipe would have shown up on his own or if Letizia would have come as well, royal watchers would have loved to see her in the same room as MC after her tweet).

It's quite confusing that Sofia chose not to attend since a lot of the guests are even related to her from the greek side of the family and she usually loves to mingle on high profile royal events, and this certainly was a high profile event, with lots of reigning Queens/Kings / CPs / ex-Kings present.

For the 40th and 50th birthday of Willem-Alexander the Wessexes were present, so it is not true that they only do "duty".

I knew someone would point to one or another occasion just to stress "Oh, but there and then they did attend, so you´re wrong...!":bang::whistling:

Yes, one will always find some small exceptions to the rule...

I am not sure if I understood what you were saying then. To me, when one says "They should have been invited", that means they ought to have been invited (i.e. it would have been right or expected to invite them), but, for some reason, they were not. When I want to say that they were probably invited, I say "they must have been invited".

I trust you understand what I mean now.

Margrethe seems to be in her "pink period" (a pink dress for the exhibition of her son´s new painting, pink on the balcony yesterday and some kind of pink last night) - a bit too much of pink IMO for a almost 80 year old...

I don't think colors are age specific.
Would it be better if she only wore black like Queen Victoria?

There has been some discussion about Nikolai not having the Order of the Elephant, but there are some medals on his lapel. Does anyone know what they are? Also, the Daily Mail says that QMII wore her daisy brooch for the balcony appearance because it's the national flower of Denmark. Is that true? If not, what is Denmark's national flower?

Wonderful event. Thanks to all for their links, translations, and comments. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom