Crown Prince Frederik, Current Events 2: October 2007 - September 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The CP-couples court has announced the Crown Prince Frederik will be promoted to full colonel in the army and airforce and commander in the navy on the 10. August 2010.

- When he become king, he will have the rank of full general and full admiral.

The Navy Operational Command, SOK, informs that M&F will take part in a service at Holmens Kirke, the naval church, this Sunday at 10.30.
Present will be Danish sailors as well as sailors from the navies of other countries.

http://forsvaret.dk/SOK/Nyt%20og%20Presse/...rinsparret.aspx

As DR1 usually send live from a service on Sundays, they may send from this one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold for Denmark!

Crown Prince Frederik congratulates the Danish women's handball team for
winning the gold medal in the Singapore 2010 Youth Olympic Games August
25, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Thanks for the info LumutQueen. I just met Prince Fred. I will post pictures. I write Children's books so I was able to pass him two of my books for his children. Security was tight, but he walked over to me as he was leaving. Unfortunately, the picture of him I managed to take was a bit blur as my camera broke and I was using my moms. Stay tuned for pics.

Crown Prince Frederik arriving for 25th anniversary of Danish Seamen's Mission

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/starstruckfan/P1010256_2.jpg

Here's the blurred close up shot. Would have been great if it was in focus.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/starstruckfan/P1010260.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/starstruckfan/P1010260_3_2.jpg

I have to thank God for granting me the opportunity to meet him. A Very nice royal. And of course to Lumut Queen.

Thank you for the pictures, your welcome for the info but I only new because the calender is posted in the thread each month.

Thanks for the photo, how lucky for you to have met the prince, and how nice to give him the books.

Thanks Katrianna,

I have to say that he is the nicest royal I've had the opportunity to meet, by far. Well, him and Princess Diana. Hope he, Mary and the children make an official visit to Singapore one day soon.

- When he become king, he will have the rank of full general and full admiral.

Are you sure? The Prince Consort is full general etc. but that's just sugar on the pill, as he's not King.

Besides, it doesn't really matter, as the CP (then king) will be Commander in Chief, thus outranking anyone.

Are you sure? The Prince Consort is full general etc. but that's just sugar on the pill, as he's not King.

Besides, it doesn't really matter, as the CP (then king) will be Commander in Chief, thus outranking anyone.

Henrik is general and admiral a la suite.

The reason is very simple: So that he is not outranked by other Danish military personell while wearing a uniform.
It's got nothing about sugaring anything it's a matter of protocol.

Frederik will become full general for the very same reason: so that he won't be outranked while wearing a uniform.

General is a rank, commander-in-chief is an office.

- When Frederik become king, they will be combined.
But a full general is not necessesarily the commander-in-chief. The present Defence-Chief (that's also an office) is a full general.

QMII has the advantage of being a woman. So she is never required to wear a uniform and she never pursued a military career like Frederik is.
Frederik and Henrik are in contrast expected to wear a uniform at certain events, so they have ranks.

Henrik is general and admiral a la suite.

The reason is very simple: So that he is not outranked by other Danish military personell while wearing a uniform.
It's got nothing about sugaring anything it's a matter of protocol.

Frederik will become full general for the very same reason: so that he won't be outranked while wearing a uniform.

General is a rank, commander-in-chief is an office.

- When Frederik become king, they will be combined.
But a full general is not necessesarily the commander-in-chief. The present Defence-Chief (that's also an office) is a full general.

QMII has the advantage of being a woman. So she is never required to wear a uniform and she never pursued a military career like Frederik is.
Frederik and Henrik are in contrast expected to wear a uniform at certain events, so they have ranks.

Technically, Henrik is the first person this "protocol" is used on. It's limited how much one instance can represent protocol. Besides, protocol can also be a type of sugar on the pill.

Re: Commander-in-Chief, it's an office held by the monarch - in some republics it's held by the president. The person you call the "Defence Chief" fills the role as Chief-of-Staff. IRL, the Commander-in-Chief is the Defence minister - but formally it's the monarch. And while the current queen doesn't hold any higher military rank (formally or real), she's still Commander-in-Chief. So in theory (and practice) it doesn't matter what rank he holds - he's still C-i-C.

Also, one should note, that any rank above a certain level (usually Colonel) is not studied or practiced at (i.e. you don't have to go to a certain school or through a course like you do to rise in the lower ranks). It's simply awarded on merit or necessity (or, too often, your political connections).

Technically, Henrik is the first person this "protocol" is used on. It's limited how much one instance can represent protocol. Besides, protocol can also be a type of sugar on the pill.

- Muhler: In Denmark, yes. - But not elsewhere, hence the honorable rank of a la suite. -

Re: Commander-in-Chief, it's an office held by the monarch - in some republics it's held by the president. The person you call the "Defence Chief" fills the role as Chief-of-Staff. IRL, the Commander-in-Chief is the Defence minister - but formally it's the monarch. And while the current queen doesn't hold any higher military rank (formally or real), she's still Commander-in-Chief. So in theory (and practice) it doesn't matter what rank he holds - he's still C-i-C.

- Muhler: Sorry, you are a bit unclear here. You mean the Defence Chief is Commander-in-Chief? No, he's the executive commander-in-chief. - Meaning that he will command the Danish military forces in practise, naturally subserviant to the Danish Parliament, represented by his immediate political master, the Minister of Defence.
The formal Commander-in-Chief is always the Monarch. -

Also, one should note, that any rank above a certain level (usually Colonel) is not studied or practiced at (i.e. you don't have to go to a certain school or through a course like you do to rise in the lower ranks). It's simply awarded on merit or necessity (or, too often, your political connections).

Yes, because a general is a staff officer. And the lowest staff officer rank, unless it has changed since my time, is major.
You study to become a staff officer.
(The promotions are unfortunately very much dependant on seniority, rather than merit. - You may have read about the complaints among younger officers that it can take ages to advance).

Let's break down the command struckture:

The Commander-in-Chief = the Monarch. A constitutional formal role.
The Parliament.
The Government.
The Defence Minister.
The Defence Chief = the executive/de facto commander of the armed forces.

When we talk about who outranks whom:

We have on top the Monarch, who is also the Commander-in-Chief.
The Prince Consort, who has the rank of general and admiral a la suite, thus giving him the right to wear a uniform - and - not being outranked by any other general present. (That would look a bit silly).
Then we have the Defence Chief, which is an office. The current Defence Chief happens to be full general (presumably to lend some weight among his foreign colleagues), but he could just as well be lieutenant general or vice admiral.

ADDED: I used bold to distinguish between mine and nwinther's post. A faster and more practical way to respond. Now, it's confusing. Anyway, will use numbers the next time.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #35, 2010.
Frederik jublede og trøstede - Frederik cheered and comforted.
Written by Peter Juul.

While Mary was to the wedding in Greece, Frederik went to the Youth Olympics in Singapore in his capacity as member of the IOC.

Here he watched the finals between Russia and Denmark in female handball. And presented the gold medals to the victorious Danish team.
He also went over to greet the Australian team, who had been defeated by DK earlier with figures I shall refrain from mentioning here....
(They are pretty lethal the Danish handball-girls, right? ;)) Anyway, he posed with the Australian girls and chatted with them, so hopefully that was a little comfort.

Frederik also visited the Danisg Seaman-Church in Singapore, which celebrated it's 25th anniversary. Here he was surrounded by children, chatted and posed with them. One little girl, got a royal high-five.
He also signed autographs for some of the children. - Something the DRF never do, but my guess is that he simply couldn't refuse requests from children.

I see you have been busy as always, Paty :flowers:

The journalist, Peter Koch, covering Frederik's visit has done so with a good deal of humour in the three articles so far, and being a man the first thing he noticed was that Frederik arrived in a Mazarati :cool:

He goes on to describe how Frederik was recieved by every child it was possible to mobillize in the municipality. Each child being issued with a flag and lined up.

He also described (there's a pic http://www.fyens.dk/article/1676937:Kerteminde--Flag-paa-afbraenderen-for-kronprinsen ) how the municipal weedburner was decorated with flags for the occassion.

- Only then was Frederik allowed to proceed to where the World Championships takes place. Buuut, a kindergarten caught up with him and as children and Frederik go well together, he spend some time chatting with the children.

Crowen Prince Frederik attended this morning the World Championship in Olympic class windsurfing RS:X in Kerteminde.

Article:
Kronprinsen er i Kerteminde - fyens.dk - Kerteminde
Photos:
Kronprinsen er i Kerteminde - fyens.dk - Kerteminde

Video:
Fynske Medier

Thank you, Iceflower :flowers: Busy as always.

Thyborøn, is a fishing town located on the west coast of Jutland.
It's a windy place, litterally. What all other Danes would call a storm is merely a bit windy around there.
Understatements is the norm in this part of DK. The locals don't speak, they shout. Praises? Nah, acknowledments are fine but we can easily have too much of it.
Life was pretty hard in this part of the country. Many fishermen never returned home as such it was also a deeply religous society, culminting in the Bartholdi movement in the 1920's. That can best be compared to Puritans.
A member of my own family, she died before I was even born) was a member of that movement and she looked forward to the day she would die as she was convinced she would go straight to Heaven. At the same time she felt genuinely sad for her husband who would have to spend some time in Purgatory as he was not a member of the Bartholdi movement.
The precurser to the Bartholdi movement was Indre Mission with a very stern interpretation of Christianity.
The fishermen were also organised in rescue crews, who litterally rowed out to aid ships or boats that were in danger of going down. During one of these rescue missions, a member of Indre Mission offered his life jackets to another crew member, (few had life jackets back then), because if the boat went down, he was sure to go to Paradise while the other crewman would not.
In the 1870's, I believe, disaster struck. After a severe storm an entire crew of rescuers drowned. That was pretty bad, even for a time where ships went down after every storm, so journalists flocked to the west coats of Jutland to cover the funeral. Now, back then that part of the country was very far away from the rest of Denmark, in every respect.
At the funeral the priest pointed out that had those among the dead who were not a member of Indre Mission, been more observant in regards to their faith they wouldn't have gone to Hell.
That caused an outrage in the rest of the country. How could a priest say that at a funeral? In front of widows and children?
But life was very hard along the west coast. Things were black and white, there were no nuances.

Crown Prince Frederik today attended the official inauguration of the new
Fishing School in Thyborøn. He also attended an emergency training in the
harbour.

** tvmidtvest.dk: Kronprins på havnekanten **

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #36, 2010.
Oldefar var en helt - Great-grandfather was a hero.
Written by Peter Juul.

While Frederik in Singapore for the Youth Olympics he poped by the Danish Seaman Church there to celebrate its 25th anniversary.
In the garden of that church hangs a ships bell.
and Frederik was told the story of that bell in a book he was presented with.
It goes back 89 years, in 1921, when the then King Christian X visited Greenland. Over the radio (or perhaps rather the wireless) he heard about a Swedish ship that had been caught in the ice and presumably was being churned down by the ice. The crew had evacuated the ship and sought refuge on an island. King Christian X took part in a rescue mission (*) and the entire Swedish crew was rescued.
In gratitude the crew presented the ships bell, named Bela after the ship. (**)
The bell was later inherited by Prince Knud, who passed it on to the seaman church in Yokohama. When that closed, his widow decided it should remain in Asia and now it hangs at the Danish Seaman's Church In Singapore. (***)

(*) Not that straightforward mind you! The ice was crushing one ship and could easily destroy the rescue ship as well. Going by dog sledges was equally dangerous.

(**) I understand that traditionally the bell was the embodiment or soul if you like of the ship.

(***) A fitting place for a ships bell. Christian X was an army man through and through and I believe had Frederik IX inherited the bell, he would have kept it as a very treasured possession, as Frederik IX was a full blooded seaman. Which means that Frederik would likely have inherited the bell from Queen Ingrid.

Yes, Thanks Muhler. He had no idea that Billed Bladet was one of the biggest magazines in Northern Europe until I told him. Have to say that the Danish Royal Family is my favourite Royal family in Europe. The Crown Prince was really friendly and accomodating to everyone he met.

Thanks Muhler

Thank you PrincessDianafan :flowers:

All the pics used in Billed Bladet was by your friend Ace Cheong.
I did think I'd seen that name before when I read the article.

Thanks Muhler. Was it only online or was it also in the print version of the magazine? If it was in the print version, I'll let him know.

Thanks Muhler. Was it only online or was it also in the print version of the magazine? If it was in the print version, I'll let him know.

He was credited in the magazine edition and I presume the online pics are also by him.
I assume he was working with Peter Juul? The reporter who is credited for the article?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom