Crown Prince Frederik & Crown Princess Mary's Visit to Canada: September 17-19, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A Frederick and Mary of Denmark escapes them love
"The Princes, who met last May married ten years, were like two young lovers lavishing all sorts of affectionate gestures during his hectic schedule his official visit in Canada"

"Neither Prince Frederick had qualms about grabbing the Princess Mary at the waist, where the back loses its name,"

A Federico y Mary de Dinamarca se les escapa el amor

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #39, 2014.
Written by our Canada correspondent, Marianne Singer.

Why did M&F go to Canada in the first place? Because the 35 million Canadians live in the 11th largest economy in the world and because Canada is the 24th largest export maket for Danish products - and because Canada is a neighboring country. We do after all share a 3.000 KM long borderline... between Canada and Greenland.
As such M&F were accompanied by a trade delegation representing 80 companies and organisations.

Anyway, in contrast to back home in DK, where we have a balmy late summer, the weather in Canada was windy and chilly.

First stop in Ottawa, was at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, where M&F laid down a wreath.
And then it was work from early morning to late evening, visiting exhibitions, going to receptions and so on and so on.
Then it was off to a lunch with the Governor General David Johnston and his wife Sharon, at their residence at Rideau Hall. Apparantly M&F and the GC couple developed a very good rapport, it was observed that they clearly enjoyed eachothers company and indeed Frederik said in his speech at the lunch that they stay at the GC residence had been their best experience ever in regards to living in a guest building "...and believe me, we've lived in a lot"!
Frederik gave his speech in both English and French, which must have pleased the locals.

The main thrust of the Danish commerce offensive took place in Distillery District, described as a "hip" part of Toronto.

Details from the visit includes Frederik admiring a red-oak tree that was planted at Rideau Hall by QMII in 1991. M&F were presented with a sapling from that tree, but the sapling is not allowed outside Canada, so it's presumed it will end up in the Danish embassy.

Mary was helping the Danish chef Paul Cunningham in making a dessert and while doing that, they played some verbal ping-pong. Mary offered: "You (informal you) can come and cook in my kitchen" (at Amalienborg).
Paul Cunningham said to our reporter afterwards: "She's simply so lovely. If PET hadn't been around I would have hugged her".

M&F also met ten year old Owen McGonical and his mother Angela in Toronto. Owen suffers from muscular dystrophy and his was testing a newly developed electric sports-wheel chair developed by the DK company UB-Let, so he can now play electric-hockey.
He gave an impressive speech for his age, explaining how much sports means to him.
But Mary got misty eyes, when mother Angela gave her speech and said: "Sports is also about belonging and being socially accepted. And I wasn't aware of how important that is until last year, when Owen got his first hockey jacket and he could wear it at school the next day and be a part of a team, just like the rest of the children in his class".

In Ottawa M&F visited the Centennial Public School and here Mary read out aloud from the book One by Kathryn Otoshi, which is about bullying.
The school runs it's own anti-bullying programme WITS = Walk away, Ignore it, Talk it out, Seek help.
The children, a number of them being children with special needs, together pledged to adhere to WITS. After that M&F handed out badges to the children. And Frederik proved again that attracts children like flies, because one girl wouldn't let go of him. When she finally did, she was so full of excitement that tears ran down her cheeks.

At Distillery District in Toronto there was an exhibition for Danish design and fashion and here Mary had a good chat with Julie Brand, who were among those exhibiting products. Julie's son, Rasmus, happens to be Isabella's classmate.

Accompanying M&F was the Minister for Commerce and Developement, Mogens Jensen. (Who is an exception within the current government in giving the clear impression of being quietly and unassumingly very competent). He said about M&F: "It means everything that the CP couple is with us. Such an export offensive would not have been able to run in that same good way and with such an attention if they they did not take part.
It's absolutely a pleasure (to work with M&F) and completely relaxed. It's nice to experience that the CP couple is so present when they are with those many people they meet. They are good at making people relax completely and there is a really good, warm atmosphere around the couple".

M&F gave a brief interview, where thet emphasized the similarities between Canada and DK and also the historical bonds, which strech back to the Vikings. (At New Foundland wasn't it?).
Mary was also pleased with having witnessed the Canadian anti-bullying project and found it inspirering. (Thanks to Mary (and Australia) Free From Bullying has become a major Danish export success. Export yes, because while Free From Bullying is free concept based on mutual experiences, other Danish way to do things in regards to care of young and old for example follow in the wake and is sold as know-how packages).
But M&F also spoke about how it was to work together on such a visit.
Frederik: "It's great to work together. And it's really nice to be together about some things, because you parly help each other, you can ping-pong and you can relieve each other. But the best part is of course to be together and to look at each other and smile - to have (find) that strength there".
Mary: "And then we reach out to more people when we are at the large receptions - speak to more of those who are present. So that's really good".

Our reporter noticed how much M&F quietly touched each other.

Quite a number of Danes living in Canada showed up to have a glimse of M&F, who often took time to have a little chat.

Thank you for the translation of that article, Muhler!
Prince Frederik and Princess Mary seem like they have been working nonstop lately, although they always seems to me to be a hard working royal couple.
It is great for me, since I love to see them!:)

A Frederick and Mary of Denmark escapes them love
"The Princes, who met last May married ten years, were like two young lovers lavishing all sorts of affectionate gestures during his hectic schedule his official visit in Canada"

"Neither Prince Frederick had qualms about grabbing the Princess Mary at the waist, where the back loses its name,"

A Federico y Mary de Dinamarca se les escapa el amor

Well, their four children weren't exactly delivered by stork, so... :p

You are welcome Cavintagejen :)

Thank you for the translation of that article, Muhler!
Prince Frederik and Princess Mary seem like they have been working nonstop lately, although they always seems to me to be a hard working royal couple.
It is great for me, since I love to see them!:)

So it's not just me who have noticed it - F&M have been really busy this late summer/early fall, haven't they? Nearest no days off (even after the Canada/NY visit) I wish them a relaxing autumn holiday in Trend.

ADDED: I have just checked the their calendar for the next two weeks and it looks like:

26. september 2014
H.M. Dronningen afholder Hæderstegnsmiddag for hærens officerer. Kronprinsparret og H.K.H. Prins Joachim deltager. Fredensborg Slot, kl. 20.00.

27. september 2014

H.K.H. Kronprinsen er regent

27. september 2014

D.K.H. Kronprinsen og Kronprinsessen uddeler Kronprinsparrets Priser 2014 i Musikkens Hus, Aalborg kl. 20.00

29. september 2014

H.K.H. Kronprinsessen deltager i åbning af konferencen "Child in the City". Syddansk Universitet, Odense, kl. 13.45.

30. september 2014
H.K.H. Kronprinsessen forestår overrækkelse af præmie til Asserbo Golf Clubs juniorafdeling for deres indsamling til Børnehjælpsdagen kl. 17.25

1. oktober 2014

H.K.H. Kronprinsessen forestår åbning af udstilling i forbindelse med 25-året for det registrerede partnerskab mellem personer af samme køn kl. 12.00

3. oktober
Kronprinsessen forestår som protektor for LOKK (Landsorganisation af Kvindekrisecentre) åbning af konferencen
"Nordiske Kvinder mod Vold". Scandic Hotel, Vester Søgade 6, København V, kl. 16.10

4. oktober
Kronprinsessen overværer DRs jubilæumsshow i anledning af 200-året for almueskoleloven.
DRs koncertsal, Emil Holms Kanal 20, København S, kl. 20.00

6. oktober

Kronprinsessen deltager som protektor for ”Skole i 200 år” i jubilæumsaktiviteten byvandring med en skoleklasse i Næstved. Skolen på Kirkepladsen, Kirkepladsen 14, Næstved, kl. 11.00

Kronprinsessen forestår FSR - danske revisorers prisuddeling inden for CSR rapportering. Børsen, København, kl. 16.00

7. oktober
Regentparret, Kronprinsparret, D.K.H. Prins Joachim og Prinsesse Marie og H.K.H. Prinsesse Benedikte overværer Folketingets åbning på Christiansborg Slot, kl. 12.00

Kronprinsen er vært ved en middag for deltagere i Danish Maritime Forum. Frederik VIII's Palæ, Amalienborg, kl. 19.30

8. oktober
Kronprinsen åbner Danish Maritime Forum. Dokken, Færgehavnsvej 35, København Ø, kl. 09.30

Kronprinsessen aflægger besøg på Tietgen Handelsgymnasium i forbindelse med Mary Fondens projekt "Netwerk". Elmelundsvej 10, Odense, kl. 10.15

Last edited:
Well, their four children weren't exactly delivered by stork, so... :p

You are welcome Cavintagejen :)

And may I add my thanks as well Muhler! :flowers: I think if anything, the visit raised Canada's profile in Denmark, even though the visit was all Ontario based. I hope the Crown Prince Couple will come again soon, perhaps to our North and its border with Greenland. Certainly the speech en francais was a good idea in Ottawa, where speaking French is a huge asset! I do think that a similar visit to Quebec would be good thing too, as Quebec would also be an interesting market for Denmark...In any case, mange tak, Muhler:flowers:

And may I add my thanks as well Muhler! :flowers: I think if anything, the visit raised Canada's profile in Denmark, even though the visit was all Ontario based. I hope the Crown Prince Couple will come again soon, perhaps to our North and its border with Greenland. Certainly the speech en francais was a good idea in Ottawa, where speaking French is a huge asset! I do think that a similar visit to Quebec would be good thing too, as Quebec would also be an interesting market for Denmark...In any case, mange tak, Muhler:flowers:

My pleasure, Gerry. :)

Your wish may very well come true within the next couple of years.
I have noticed that the DRF often return once or twice to a country where a commerce bridgehead has been established. And that within a fairly short time period.

I hope Frederick and Mary enjoyed their trip to my home and native land! Would be lovely for them if they venture further west on a future visit, there is a lot to see and do!!

Anyone know if Frederick and Mary have been here on a private trip?? I know they were in Vancouver for the Olympics, but I rather doubt they did any sightseeing away from Olympic related stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous:
Not that we know of, I don't think so. But I remember when the M&F visited Vancouver for the Olympics in 2010, it was revealed that they were out on private hiking trips away from the Olympics area because people had met them at different coffee places and such.

Last edited:
Thanks for the many pics.:flowers:

Especially to Polyesco and Roskilde for their ceaseless work in digging up materia for us. It is very much appreciated. :flowers:

It becomes them to be on the job together. They look good together and and that means they have a positive radiance about them, which again rubs off on what they do and attend.

yet more Canadian media coverage for the crown princely visit: the Globe and Mail, Canada's 'national' newspaper (it has editions across the country but is based in Toronto) posted the story below in the widely read Saturday edition yesterday:
Party photos of the week: A museum opens, a princess visits, and Harry Rosen (the brand) turns 60 - The Globe and Mail

Thank you Muhler for posting the link to this article. It is clear that Canadians (the Globe and Mail is our Berlingske Tidende, I think:lol:) are unhappy with our current government but we must wait until the next election to turf them out as they have a large majority in Parliament:bang: However the article is incorrect in that Canada DOES have royals; we are a member of the Commonwealth and the Prince of Wales has begun a Canadian branch of his Prince's charities here that is actively but carefully promoting relationships between entrepreneurs, young people, aboriginals and the arts Prince's Charities Canada | Home It is of course a difficult and delicate process as national sensibilities are involved; the British royal family, as you can tell from this article, is frequently seen as 'overseas', but clearly the visit of Crown Prince Frederik and his Princess has given food for thought. Unfortunately no Danish food, however, as there is still no Danish restaurant in Toronto!:bang: By the way, I would be interested to know if there is any Danish media reaction to the Canadian visit:)

Last edited:
Thank you Muhler for posting the link to this article. It is clear that Canadians (the Globe and Mail is our Berlingske Tidende, I think:lol:) are unhappy with our current government but we must wait until the next election to turf them out as they have a large majority in Parliament:bang: However the article is incorrect in that Canada DOES have royals; we are a member of the Commonwealth and the Prince of Wales has begun a Canadian branch of his Prince's charities here that is actively but carefully promoting relationships between entrepreneurs, young people, aboriginals and the arts Prince's Charities Canada | Home It is of course a difficult and delicate process as national sensibilities are involved; the British royal family, as you can tell from this article, is frequently seen as 'overseas', but clearly the visit of Crown Prince Frederik and his Princess has given food for thought. Unfortunately no Danish food, however, as there is still no Danish restaurant in Toronto!:bang: By the way, I would be interested to know if there is any Danish media reaction to the Canadian visit:)

Yes, I think they referred to the BRF not promoting Canadian export, hence the reference to other Canadian top-brass.

The coverage of the Canada trip can be divided into two segments:
The glamour part, which we have seen most here on TRF, which is about (mainly) Mary, what she's wearing and doing.
The business coverage which is pretty dry stuff and as such not something we have seen much here on TRF, because that mainly deals with background info.

- Right now we are fortunate to have two adults couples within the DRF in the perfect age for export promotion. M&F and J&M.
They are young, attractive and glamorous enough to attract media attention yet not so young they are too light-weight in regards to talking business and commerce.
So the cow is really being milked these years!

- On a side note: We and some friends actually discussed Canada the other day. Mrs. Muhler and I said that if we were to immigrate, Canada would be top on the list, before Germany, Norway and England, in that order. We see Canada as a place of opportunities that still provides a good deal of safety (health-care, education, crime and so on) and the cultural differencies doesn't seem that big.

Last edited:
Yes, I think they referred to the BRF not promoting Canadian export, hence the reference to other Canadian top-brass.

The coverage of the Canada trip can be divided into two segments:
The glamour part, which we have seen most here on TRF, which is about (mainly) Mary, what she's wearing and doing.
The business coverage which is pretty dry stuff and as such not something we have seen much here on TRF, because that mainly deals with background info.

- Right now we are fortunate to have two adults couples within the DRF in the perfect age for export promotion. M&F and J&M.
They are young, attractive and glamorous enough to attract media attention yet not so young they are too light-weight in regards to talking business and commerce.
So the cow is really being milked these years!

- On a side note: We and some friends actually discussed Canada the other day. Mrs. Muhler and I said that if we were to immigrate, Canada would be top on the list, before Germany, Norway and England, in that order. We see Canada as a place of opportunities that still provides a good deal of safety (health-care, education, crime and so on) and the cultural differencies doesn't seem that big.
Perfect proof that such visits do work, as Canada was discussed in the Muhler household:flowers:I was at a lecture yesterday given by Robert Lepage, the Canadian theatre designer who is best known internationally:lol: (most English speaking Canadians don't believe there is such a phenomenon as internationally famous Canadians:bang:) He said when he asks his international theatre partners to draw a map of the world, North America is always in the centre with a well defined United States and Canada illustrated by a vague blob to the North!:ROFLMAO:I do hope that the Crown Princely couple returns soon and visits Quebec. If they manage to bring Danish food to Montreal, there will be yet another reason to visit my second favourite Canadian city:flowers: Yes, Canada is often cited on the lists of most attractive places to live, but the current Canadian government makes it extremely difficult for all but the very wealthy to emigrate:bang:

Back
Top Bottom