Crown Prince Frederik & Crown Princess Mary's Visit to Australia: October 24-28, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It seems M&F, with Mary in particular, has got a very good press so far.

Out of curiosity, how far up (or down) on the news scale are they in Australia?

Are we talking page 14 news or something more prominent?

And what's the word on the street? Are we talking about blank stares when mentioning M&F or is their visit known by most?

- The coverage here in DK, as I can tell from the articles collected here and on headlines elsewhere, is that M&F (and thereby Australia) has got a very good coverage. Every news media worth mentioning in DK has something.

i know i am not an australian ;-) but i remember sun lion this morning in one of her post wrote that mary&frederik was on the frontpage and on page 2 and 3 in that newspaper she and he husband buy.

Husband just walked in, back from the gym with today's "Telegraph". Half page photo of M and F on front page- headline "Mary, Mary quite the dignitary". Double page colour spread on pages 2 an 3.

Last edited:
Yesterday's Daily Telegraph (tabloid) had pages 1,2 & 3. Headline on page one was:

"Mary, Mary, quite the dignitary".

I will hopefully get to see the couple today.

And what's the word on the street? Are we talking about blank stares when mentioning M&F or is their visit known by most?

- The coverage here in DK, as I can tell from the articles collected here and on headlines elsewhere, is that M&F (and thereby Australia) has got a very good coverage. Every news media worth mentioning in DK has something.

Hi Muhler - it's really blanket coverage here in Oz.

Lengthy reporting on all news broadcasts throughout the day and evening, on all channels.

Yesterday's paper had - as mentioned by MaggieDenmark and Lady Rosie - almost all of the cover and first inside pages devoted to M and F, while the first important date in a while for "our" Royals - Prince George's Christening - was relegated to pages 20-21, and in a much smaller format.

One of the photos in yesterday's paper, (won't have today's paper for a while, hubby doing a double - ! - gym session this morning, so will be home late), is of the hands of some of the crowd with a mix of Danish and Australian flags together.

(Frederik has "made" Mary Danish, but Mary has "made" Frederik Australian.)

Yesterday's report has the story of a Mr Mads Hartvig-Jensen who is here from Denmark with his family for a month's holiday, and they made sure they didn't miss out on seeing M and F.

He is from Copenhagen, and the paper said he was "glowing in his praise of Mary".

Quote from Mads - "Mary is doing a fantastic job. If it is a job. She is wonderful, the whole family has managed to stay connected with the people and not be so high flying. The Danish people really like Mary".

A very nice photo of CP Frederik smiling broadly is along side this part of the report.

As for "the word on the street" -

One young Asian-Australian lady was on a lot of reports last night - she had got to shake hands with Mary and was a bit overcome by it.

A very nice young Australian of what background I don't know, but dark-skinned, was working for the company that put down the carpet for the Ole Lynggaard opening and said he never bothers to stay around to see the various VIPS and celebraties involved in his work, but when we told him it was CP Mary he said he wished he had asked what the event was about, as he would have stayed and watched this time if he knew it was going to be her.

I was standing near a tall young Asian office-worker at one stage and she was getting frantic because one of the police officers stationed himself just in front of her view of CP Mary as she was shaking people's hands - she was begging him to move aside a little, but he wouldn't - couldn't actually, obviously under orders.

There was also a very pretty, well-dressed, sophisticated-looking white Australian lady standing near us who was a bit choked up - after CP Mary drove off, this lady said she felt a bit teary, but she didn't know why. (I think we were all just really pleased to see CP Mary in real-life, that she is really well-respected and we all think she has done Australia proud.)

An older Asian gentleman started telling us about CP Mary, while she was in the shop. After a while an older white Australian lady asked what country he was from and he said "Australia!". "Well it was a stupid question I suppose",she replied, and we all laughed.

Another lady told me she had got to shake CP Mary's hand, and she was off to telephone her daughter about it.

Several people in the crowd said they were meant to be elsewhere, or were running late, but they weren't going to leave until they had seen CP Mary.

So as you can see - a broad spectrum of Australian society, and everyone happy and enthusiastic to be a part of it all.

Cheers for Now, Sun Lion.

Once again Sun Lion, thank you for your hands on accounts. :flowers:
I would love to see the pictures of them on the boat:)
Glad they can get some time for themselves

Hi polyesco- I won't try to figure out how to post my sailing photos from day 1.

I've just seen some much better shots are now available, and have been posted on other Royal Forums.

Cheers, Sun Lion. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the description, Sun Lion :flowers:

It's really a Danish/Australian fairytale, isn't it?
In Danish news tonight an Australian reporter said so delicate a sentence to Danish TV2: - "We got a wonderful gift from Denmark (= The Opera House) and in 2004 we gave Denmark a wonderful gift back (= Mary)

Last edited:
Thanks for the description, Sun Lion :flowers:

It's really a Danish/Australian fairytale, isn't it?
In Danish news tonight an Australian reporter said so delicate a sentence to Danish TV2: - "We got a wonderful gift from Denmark (= The Opera House) and in 2004 we gave Denmark a wonderful gift back (= Mary)

That's a lovely sentiment Roskilde. Very apt.

Early morning cloud - which cooled everything down for a while - just moing out to sea now - it's 9.40am Saturday morning here.

Looks like it's going to be another blazing day. I can feel the temperature going up.

I was told yesterday that the Royal Party is staying at the "Sofitel Wentworth" hotel. I can't say that is confirmed - I haven't walked passed it to see any security, vehicles etc. - but it is highly likely to be true.

If you "Google Images" it, you can see how secure and private a building it is.

The rooms arch around an elevated roof-garden and there isn't much to see from the street. Everything is high up and "away" as it where.

Good location for where all the Opera House events have been happening - short walk between them, and good views over the Harbour, the Bridge and the Opera House as well.

Cheers, Sun Lion. :flowers:

P.S. Think this confirms the Royal Party are staying at the "Sofitel" Hotel.

Husband just got home with the newspaper and there is a schedule of events for the next three days - and at 11.00am Monday a Diploma Ceremony is being held at the Sofitel.

(I don't think they would stay at one hotel, then go to another for this event.)

Bushfires are back on the front page, small picture of Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George on page three, notifying readers that a bigger report about the Christening photos is on page 33, CP Mary on most of page 7 - photos of last hight's Reception and yesterday's school visit. Headline is "Mary loves a good fairytale, even if it's not her own" - (referencing the school's reading program, no doubt).

Mary and Frederik Visiting the Fire Zone.

Channel 9 has just announced - on the 6pm news - that the Royal Couple will be visiting the fire affected area of Winmalee on Sunday.

thats a nice gesture and a good choice! to set spotlight on and offer comfort to those who have lost homes

I think some of the reaction here is that most Aussies are very pleased that Mary & Fred are here visiting again and feel excited about it. At least we get more news coverage about them and we all enjoy that. It is a feel good story that makes you smile and feel good, especially as so many stories in the headlines are horrible news.
Most Aussies feel very proud of Mary and how she has handled herself in her role as wife, Crown Princess, mother etc. All my friends are hungry for news on how she is going in Denmark and they are very proud of her and have learnt what a wonderful Monarch Queen Margrethe is as well.
I love Roskildes quote that Denmark gave us a wonderful gift ie- the Opera House and we gave Denmark a wonderful gift back, ie- the Crown Princess. Very apt.

Interesting bit of information from today's newspaper, about yesterday's school visit - (if you haven't already seen this) -

The newspaper is saying CP Mary is very up to date regarding the "latest set of kids' fiction novels" that are available in Copenhagen. (Due to the four children).

"She can cite chapter and verse ... giving a synopsis on the latest" children's fiction in Denmark.

One of yesterday's school children is quoted as saying "I can't remember any of the names of the books, (that CP Mary spoke about), but it was a pretty long list".

Missing the children back home in Denmark - one little boy, there with his twin, asked her "Where are your twins?"

Newspaper saying "Dropping her lip, the Princess responded: 'Sadly they are a long way away.' "

I just realised I have a further chance to catch a glimpse of the Royal Party on Monday.

They are scheduled to be at the Opera House again at 12.00 noon for a lunch involving "Danish Industries" and "Visit Denmark".

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. Smart answer. Last night's function's little bouquet presenter apparently asked CP Mary what she does with all the flowers that are given to her. CP Mary said "Enjoy them".

Here's a bit more regarding the coverage of CP Mary for you Muhler.

One of the columnists in the centre pages of the newspaper has devoted her third of a page to describing her reaction to CP Mary - who she came face to face with at Sculpture by the Sea two years ago when she was in the media pack.

Saying she is "not a fan of monarchies by any means" and that she stood there "wrestling" with her mind as CP Mary walked passed, she says she might as well have been a five year old as she became swept up in what she is calling "the love story of the Princess and The Pub", and it is single women like herself who are now "lapping it up".

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. Ole Lynggaard following up yesterday's flagship store opening - (only four flagship stores in the world, two in Denmark, one in Sweden and now Sydney. Learnt that from the new last night.) - with a full page advert featuring Helena Christensen in today's glossy magazine that comes with "The Australian" broadsheet newspaper.

Forgot to mention before - the shop window yesterday was decorated with suspended glass containers, of various sizes, all holding a different type of orchid display. (Plus the jewelllery of couse!)

Interesting bit of information from today's newspaper, about yesterday's school visit - (if you haven't already seen this) -

The newspaper is saying CP Mary is very up to date regarding the "latest set of kids' fiction novels" that are available in Copenhagen. (Due to the four children).

"She can cite chapter and verse ... giving a synopsis on the latest" children's fiction in Denmark.

One of yesterday's school children is quoted as saying "I can't remember any of the names of the books, (that CP Mary spoke about), but it was a pretty long list".

Missing the children back home in Denmark - one little boy, there with his twin, asked her "Where are your twins?"

Newspaper saying "Dropping her lip, the Princess responded: 'Sadly they are a long way away.' "

thank you Sun Lion.
Must be hard for Mary and Frederik to be away from the kids.

especially when visiting the twin center at the hospital

some pics from day 3
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ahIetA6fP2vd/610x.jpg:wub:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/012x39A95i7zH/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09ru63jfxg9zT/610x.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/07Fe4rt7VQ4KP/x610.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gwd9O556pf3L/610x.jpg

Well we have just got home from seeing "you know who"!!!!

I greeted both M & F separately and shook hands. They were lovely. I had made up a sign that said "velkommen til D.K.H Kronprinsparret". My daughter held it and M spoke to her in Danish. My son held a Danish flag.

They both commented on the sign.

Then they shook some hands and went into the hospital. The crowds loved them and it was a very special day. I am in the process of downloading photos off the camera and will send a link when I can.

I have to say re: press coverage, there is a fair amount in the print media but as I don't watch commercial TV and have youngish children I don't have time to "channel surf" I can't comment on that. I think the bushfires have taken up a fair amount of coverage too.

Needless to say the couple are very popular here but it is not "popstar crazy" more civilised and respectful I think.

Will post more but have to get my kids some dinner!

Well we have just got home from seeing "you know who"!!!! I greeted both M & F separately and shook hands. They were lovely. I had made up a sign that said "velkommen til D.K.H Kronprinsparret". My daughter held it and M spoke to her in Danish. My son held a Danish flag. They both commented on the sign. Then they shook some hands and went into the hospital. The crowds loved them and it was a very special day. I am in the process of downloading photos off the camera and will send a link when I can. I have to say re: press coverage, there is a fair amount in the print media but as I don't watch commercial TV and have youngish children I don't have time to "channel surf" I can't comment on that. I think the bushfires have taken up a fair amount of coverage too. Needless to say the couple are very popular here but it is not "popstar crazy" more civilised and respectful I think. Will post more but have to get my kids some dinner!

Congratulations! What a memorable day for your family. I can't wait to see the photos. Well done.

Well we have just got home from seeing "you know who"!!!!

I greeted both M & F separately and shook hands. They were lovely. I had made up a sign that said "velkommen til D.K.H Kronprinsparret". My daughter held it and M spoke to her in Danish. My son held a Danish flag.

They both commented on the sign.

Then they shook some hands and went into the hospital. The crowds loved them and it was a very special day. I am in the process of downloading photos off the camera and will send a link when I can.

How exciting. thank you for sharing! look forward to the pics.
Frederik and Mary both appear happy to be at the twin registry :flowers:

It's just gone 5.20pm here and still beautiful on the Harbour.

Was that CP Mary in the big hat and green top, on the side of the big Lynggaard yacht, that just sailed past Fort Denison that caught my eye as I was getting tea ready???

Sun Lion.

CP Mary just on TV telling one of the little girls she met today, that she was wearing the same dress that Isabella has.

CP Frederik said it was "great to be back" in Australia.

Good clip of CP Mary's speech.

Prime Minister Mr Abbott also present.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Lynggaard yacht just sailed past again, going the other way. Lots of people on board. Sun still shining.

Think that's why there's nothing on the official agenda tonight. A night off on the Harbour.

Have fun everyone. That is one beautiful vessel.

Sun Lion.

P.S. Saw the yacht had dropped anchor near Taronga zoo when I was crossing the Harbour Bridge at 7.15pm on my way to a theatre in the city. Saturday night is the best night to be on/near the Harbour - all the commercial vessels come out on Saturday night, and their multi-coloured lights turn it all into a kind of fairyland.

Last edited:
Great gallery from B.T. with pictures from today's events

http://www.bt.dk/danmark/se-billederne-australierne-jubler-over-mary-og-frederik

What a delightful experience for you and your family, Lady Rosie. Thank you for your good pictures - I see you came very close to them both. It's so nice to read about your Australian members experiences with Mary and Frederik around in Sydney :flowers:

And Sun Lion, I hope you get the chance to see the Crown Prince couple again on Monday.

Article and photos from the Sydney Morning Herald
Seeing double: Prince Fredrick and Princess Mary visit Sydney hospital twins

"Lillian and Charlotte Harding, from Wollongong, aged eight, were one of several asked by Frederik if they would like to see his latest pictures of his twins Josephine and Vincent on his phone. Frederik was asked how his own twins were: ''They're good. We miss them.''

Gallery:
Double trouble

Frederik og Mary besøger ofre for skovbrande | Nyheder | DR

The court confirms now to Danish DR that Frederik and Mary tomorrow will visit Winmalee in the Blue Mountain just outside Sydney, where they will visit one of the places that are hard hit by the ongoing bushfires.

The visit is not part of the planned program, but have arisen because of the couple's own desire. Lene Balleby says:

- The couple are very concerned by the situation and want to show respect for the many fire men and the volunteers who have done a tremendous job in the fight against bushfires.

- Therefore, they wanted to come up and see for themselves the extent of the fires, and show their respect for the many who have lost their homes.

Frederik and Mary's visit at the hospital is right now the main story at The Australian Telegraph's website :flowers:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ildrens-hospital/story-fni0cx4q-1226747333057

Women's Weekly from today's event
http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/news/newsstories/8745415/mary-mixes-with-tv-royalty-at-sydney-bash

More pictures from yesterday evening in The Opera House

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1379803_10151669060020723_682909764_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1375681_10151669059475723_398323334_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1396061_10151669060460723_1497689562_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1375855_10151669060480723_464584322_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/943723_10151669060850723_1525258565_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1379803_10151669060020723_682909764_n.jpg (Isn't it Lene Balleby standing at the far right of the picture with a huge smile?)

Last edited:
I live in Queensland about 9 hrs drive north of Sydney and Fred and Mary were the lead story on channel 10 TV news with a good long coverage showing them at the Twin Register event. One older lady was very excited and said as soon as Fred was away from Mary she went up to him and told him how handsome and gorgeous he was!! She was giggly as a schoolgirl. Yes people here are very excited to see them both and the media coverage is good.

What a delightful experience for you and your family, Lady Rosie. Thank you for your good pictures - I see you came very close to them both. It's so nice to read about your Australian members experiences with Mary and Frederik around in Sydney :flowers:

And Sun Lion, I hope you get the chance to see the Crown Prince couple again on Monday.

Thank you Roskilde - it will be my absolute last chance. (Though that night's event will be broadcast the following Friday, so that will be worth a watch - the prize-giving.)

I wouldn't be suprised if M and F travel to the fire zone by helicopter tomorrow.

Just thinking it would save many hours on the road, and therefore give more time with the fire-fighters, plus they have to be back and change for the big gala concert which is starting very early evening.

I saw somewhere about the presence/attention of our politicians.

After three days, M and F have been filmed/photographed with the Sydney Lord Mayor, the NSW Premier, the NSW Governor, the NSW Minister for Health and today the Prime Minister.

Also wouldn't be suprised if the Governor General hosted them when they had lunch at Admiralty House on the first day.

Well tomorrow evening is the centre-piece of all the Opera House celebrations. Hope it all goes off without a hitch. So many people have put such an effort in for it.

Bye, Sun Lion.

Last edited:

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photos with us! :flowers:

Getty Images: Cerca - Getty Images IT: AUS: Prince Frederik And Princess Mary Of Denmark Visit Sydney - Day 3

Yes, Lene Balleby is with the Crown Prince Couple :) http://a.bimg.dk/node-images/922/6/...e-twin-registry-sydney-childrens-hospital.jpg

I live in Queensland about 9 hrs drive north of Sydney and Fred and Mary were the lead story on channel 10 TV news with a good long coverage showing them at the Twin Register event. One older lady was very excited and said as soon as Fred was away from Mary she went up to him and told him how handsome and gorgeous he was!! She was giggly as a schoolgirl. Yes people here are very excited to see them both and the media coverage is good.

Lucky and Smart woman ;)

I think these two events were just perfect for Frederik and Mary.
Surrounded by children and great smiles
http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/922/6/...digital-license-alannah-and-madeline-foun.jpg

Even the prime minister seems impressed "Prime Minister Tony Abbott was a surprise addition to the party and in a passionate speech displayed his strong belief in the monarchy when he honored "the devotion to their people and ideals of duty and service ... this is the magic of modern monarchy." "

they both seem at ease and doing a great job representing DK
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1379803_10151669060020723_682909764_n.jpg

thank you to all for sharing pics and links:flowers::flowers:

Its also great that they are visiting the affected areas by the brush fires

One older lady was very excited and said as soon as Fred was away from Mary she went up to him and told him how handsome and gorgeous he was!! She was giggly as a schoolgirl.

the lady made the new article and video
Adoring NSW fans greet prince and princess - Yahoo!7

"Crown Prince Frederik is accustomed to some titles, among them the most popular your royal highness.

But he blushed as he responded to another on Saturday during a visit to the Sydney Children’s Hospital.

"Hello gorgeous" is how adoring and self-described royalist Fay Thompson grabbed the Danish Royal’s attention before pleading with him for a photo in the hospital driveway.

"I said ‘hello gorgeous can I take your picture’," she told AAP.

"For an old duck, that’s quite good isn’t it?

"He blushed."

Mrs Thompson hoped her granddaughter, who is a patient at the Randwick-based hospital, could have had a glimpse of Frederik and Crown Princess Mary during their visit."

Thank you everyone who liked the photos.

It was very exciting and my children and I were on SBS news answering questions. My husband has put it on YouTube for our friends to see!

M&F are doing fantastically and appear to enjoy what they do even though I am sure they are exhausted by the busy days after the long trip.

They are doing DK and the DRF proud and long may they continue to visit our shores.

Yikes! :eek: Can you really drive from Brisbane to Sydney in 9 hours? Which route? I live on the far north coast of NSW about 2 hours' drive south of Brisbane, and it takes me at least 9 hours to get to Sydney, with a co-driver, driving at the speed limit and with the new Bulahdelah and Kempsey by-passes open.

The coverage of Fred and Mary's visit has been wonderful, hasn't it! :)

Last edited:
Hi Lady Rosie - you so inspired me with your lovely CP Mary photos - some of which I've saved - that I thought I'd have a go at posting a few of mine - and Hi polyesco.

But, though I got a certain way along, I can't get the "http://" URL of my image.

If anyone has any pointers and can spare the time to post a tip or two, I'd very much appreciate it. But if not, thanks anyway, no worries.

I'm using an Android Asus and have put a photo on "Web Storage", but can't find the above info required to actually post here - just getting the little blue question mark.

Thanks anyone, Sun Lion.

Reports are coming in that M and F's visit to Winmalee, in the fire zone, has been a big morale booster for those affected.

The fire-fighters and residents gave the Royal Couple a hip, hip, hooray greeting - and there were so many flowers for CP Mary, she needed to call on help to handle them.

A morning tea of scones, sandwiches and fruit was held at the local fire station - of which the Royal Couple were also given a tour by the Rural Fire Commissioner himself.

After spending time with the crowds, M and F were also taken to one of the worst affected streets to see the devastation for themselves.

The NSW Premier was also present.

There are photos now - on the "Sydney Morning Herald" website among others.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

I wouldn't be suprised if M and F travel to the fire zone by helicopter tomorrow.

The Royal Couple arrived by car - video is now on the ABC website.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

P.S. Even though they are in the middle of the fire devastation, apparently a lot of little girls dressed up as princesses for the visit.

Thanks to all the Australian friends who are giving us such a great and personal glimpse on the Royal Visit! Thank you for posting pictures and links!

Back
Top Bottom