Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News Part 3: November 2015 - June 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the official announcement from the Palace:

"Their Royal Highnesses Prince Christian, Princess Isabella, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine will begin a 12-week school break at the Lemania-Verbier International School in Switzerland at the beginning of the new year. When the school stay is complete, all four children will continue their schooling in their current classes at Tranegårdsskolen in Gentofte.

Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess will primarily stay with the children in Switzerland during the period, and His Royal Highness The Crown Prince will be with the family when there are opportunities for it in the Crown Prince's program. As a result of the children's schooling, the Crown Princess's official activities in Denmark will be fewer.

With the school stay, the Crown Prince couple wants to give their children a common experience in an international environment."

Pressemeddelelse: Kronprinsparrets fire børn tager på skoleophold i Schweiz | Kongehuset

What a great opportunity for the kids, and even better is that CP Frederik and CP Mary will be with them. I'm glad the family can do this together and QMII is being supportive

And the official announcement from the Palace:

"Their Royal Highnesses Prince Christian, Princess Isabella, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine will begin a 12-week school break at the Lemania-Verbier International School in Switzerland at the beginning of the new year. When the school stay is complete, all four children will continue their schooling in their current classes at Tranegårdsskolen in Gentofte.

Her Royal Highness The Crown Princess will primarily stay with the children in Switzerland during the period, and His Royal Highness The Crown Prince will be with the family when there are opportunities for it in the Crown Prince's program. As a result of the children's schooling, the Crown Princess's official activities in Denmark will be fewer.

With the school stay, the Crown Prince couple wants to give their children a common experience in an international environment."

Pressemeddelelse: Kronprinsparrets fire børn tager på skoleophold i Schweiz | Kongehuset

It is odd that, shortly after announcing that Mary could now legally serve as acting regent to cover for Joachim, they send her off to Switzerland for almost. 3 months.

When I said it was a shocker, I was reacting to Eya’s OP where it was not mentioned that the children would be in Switzerland for 12 weeks only. I was assuming they would do a full school year there or even longer than that as Princess Elisabeth of Belgium’s two-year IB program in Wales.

Given that it is only a short stay, it is actually not so shocking anymore , but, still, it is a bit unusual, especially for the younger kids. Besides, as princes of Denmark, I would assume it is important that they are seen as having a Danish education at least at the elementary level ( overseas experience would be expected at the upper secondary and/or university level).

Last edited:
Given that it is only a short stay, it is actually not so shocking anymore , but, still, it is a bit unusual, especially for the younger kids. Besides, as princes of Denmark, I would assume it is important that they are seen as having a Danish education at least at the elementary level ( overseas experience would be expect at the upper secondary and/or university level).

They are currently in the midst of receiving 10 years of that. They will resume their studies at Tranegårdsskolen when they get back from Switzerland. 10 years minus 3 months isn't gonna make a dent in their Danish education :lol:

To me, this does indeed smell like a trial-run in attending a school/education abroad and since Mary will be around for most of the time, seemingly, Switzerland is appropriately far away and different and yet no further than a couple of hours flight.
I think this is mainly aimed at Christian and Isabella in general and Christian in particular - with the twins going along, because their mother (mainly) will be in Switzerland, with daddy Frederik visiting them in the weekends. (Remember he spends a good deal of time at the office.)

The timing is indeed odd IMO and why now? Why not in a year? Because by next summer Joachim will have completed his course, and even if he and our Marie should opt out as active DRF members, surely that could be postponed for six months or so?
And why no mentioning of such plans in the many interviews and statements there have been in regards to their children? It does seem a little improvised.

Okay, three months. They'll be back in DK by late March/early April.
QMII turns 80 in April.
This will fuel speculations that QMII will abdicate for health reasons. And "health reasons" may not necessarily mean something serious. It could simply mean that she feels the weight of her years, she did mention that at the latest interview to a Swedish paper.
Her recent cheerful mood could indicate, if you permit me to speculate, that she knows that the future of the dynasty is in good hands and that she is about to and can safely retire.
It would even be a popular move. QMII bowing out when she is pretty much on the top and in good shape, leaving her place to very popular successors who are in their prime.
Because if QMII had a family-pow-wow recently informing the family of such plans, that could explain this sudden rush by M&F. Because once they become the regent couple, they will not have time to go with their children abroad. Because a retired QMII will only step in a Rigsforstander in exceptional circumstances. (Why else retire?)

I think QMII's New Year speech this year will be worth paying attention to!

Some details have emerged about the school and the stay there:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/skole-bekraefter-saadan-bliver-opholdet

Lemania-Verbier School.
Located in Verbier, it's in a place the children are familiar with.
Children from 15-20 nationalities attend the school.
The curriculum follow the English curriculum. And presumably also in regards to holidays and such.
The school-days are combined with skiing. So it includes a good deal physical activities.

- I imagine Christian and Bella will live at the school, while the twins will live with their mother outside the school.
It will of course be a very different live for certainly the oldest.

Some details have emerged about the school and the stay there:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/skole-bekraefter-saadan-bliver-opholdet

Lemania-Verbier School.
Located in Verbier, it's in a place the children are familiar with.
Children from 15-20 nationalities attend the school.
The curriculum follow the English curriculum. And presumably also in regards to holidays and such.
The school-days are combined with skiing. So it includes a good deal physical activities.

- I imagine Christian and Bella will live at the school, while the twins will live with their mother outside the school.
It will of course be a very different live for certainly the oldest.

Is it an academically rigorous program though ? It wouldn’t look good if they were seen to be taking a 3-month skiing vacation , would it ?

I apologize for being so blunt, but, on the other side of the Atlantic, we may have different cultural perceptions of things like that .

Last edited:
Is it an academically rigorous program though ? It wouldn’t look good if they were seen to be taking a 3-month skiing vacation , would it ?

I apologize for being so blunt, but, on the other side of the Atlantic, we may have different cultural perceptions of things like that .

Exactly my thoughts... Mary taking three months of royal work (while Joachim and Marie are already gone) so the family can enjoy a 3 months skiing holiday disguised as an 'international schooling experience' which happens to be in their favorite skiing destination exactly during ski season?

Probably they figured that Frederik is going to be in Switzerland for the Youth Olympics, they would be in Switzerland for the ski holidays in February, so decided that combing it all would provide them a nice family break (probably as Muhler suggested just before they are to take on a much heavier workload).

Originally Posted by Mbruno

The school has a website in English and French. Programmes - lvis
So how about informing yourself? Or is this something people never do on the other side of the Atlantic?

"Academically rigorous"? ? ;)

Does a three month temporary winter "course", after which they return to their classes in Denmark, need to be any more academically rigorous than the education they receive at the moment attending 8th, 6th and 2nd grades? (I hope I counted the grades correctly). They are all still in primary school...

:previous:US boarding schools all have mandatory sports right after classes. So, classes are from about 8-2:30 or so and then sports for 3 hours. Then dinner, homework...If it is winter, then they ski, spring, lacrosse, and so on. Private day schools in the us operate the same way.
Since Mary will be there, it isn’t really like they are going away to boarding school. I imagine the twins will be mostly with her. They are not babies anymore and will be nine years old. My husband was given the gift of studying in Switzerland for a year when he was eleven and it was a transformative experience, helping him with his studies and fluency in French.

But will they accompany the kids? Did Lene Balleby or Mary confirm that or was that part just Avisen speculating?

The first article out with the news wrote that the parents would switches to stay with the children during the short stay, then they changed the article as they probably knew they actually didn't knew the details properly.
And honestly: I didn't even think any other thoughts at all. I couldn't for the life of me imagine that Frederik and Mary wouldn't travel with their children. From the very beginning they have only shown that they are hands-on parents and that their children (and being a family) are the most important thing in their lives. Frederik has been away from the children for 3 weeks, a few times, due to official duties or sailing, but Mary has never, throughout the children's lives, been away from the children more than highest a week at a time.

(...)
I think this is mainly aimed at Christian and Isabella in general and Christian in particular - with the twins going along, because their mother (mainly) will be in Switzerland, with daddy Frederik visiting them in the weekends. (Remember he spends a good deal of time at the office.) (...)

I don't think we should expect Frederik to 'only' be there during the weekends. ;)

Frederik is on the coordination commission for the Youth Olympic Games in Lausanne taking place 9.-22. January, which means he could be staying in Switzerland the first month.

In February it is winter holiday and Frederik will probably be able to pull one or two weeks off the calendar, and then there is only one month left.

Frederik will of course take care of the duties at home, but I don't think we shouldn't expect that there will also be less duties for him in the short period.
We are talking three months. And a opportunity Frederik and Mary probably will never have again. And they work tireless year after year.

I may be wrong of course and Frederik can only come during the weekends, but I simply really don't think this gonna happen if I know F&M as well as I think I does after all these many years. ?

(...)
The timing is indeed odd IMO and why now? Why not in a year? Because by next summer Joachim will have completed his course, and even if he and our Marie should opt out as active DRF members, surely that could be postponed for six months or so? (...)

Frederik is on the coordination commission for the Youth Olympic Games in Lausanne taking place 9.-22. January, which means he could be staying in Switzerland for most of the first month, so doesn't it make good sense?
Frederik would be in Switzerland anyway, so why not combine it the next year?

And yes Joachim have moved to France, but honestly, if Frederik and Mary only could make plans after others in the DRF, then they would never be able to make any plans other than stay home for the rest of their life and do 80% of the duties for the DRF. Joachim and Marie have far more freedom and can (practically) do whatever they want and also does so. The likelihood of them staying in France for longer than a year is big, so if Frederik and Mary and their children should be able to take some larger family experiences, too, while they have time, they must take it then it fits into their calender. And this is the first and maybe the last time they do such a thing. Shouldn't they be allowed to? Without having to stand in the last end and only able to such a thing if it should happen no others in the family have plans.

Last edited:
Pictures from the school:

Lemania-Verbier International School offers an bilingual education and a wide range of activities and sports, including intensive ski training for boys and girls.

https://ibb.co/0YZfksJ

What a gift The Crown Prince couple gives their children. Together all four siblings. Meeting other peers from other countries and cultures in a learning environment is a real gift to bring in your backpack through life.
A good experience and opportunity for self-development and new insight that F&M give the young people.

I think it is very far-sighted and a wise decision.
Especially regarding Prince Christian's future as King. Also sounds like F&M have taken the Crown Prince's negative experiences from his stay in French school as a child into the decision, with the short period of 12 weeks and with the parents' presence at the same time.
This really shows how caring our future King and Queen are, both for the family but also for Denmark.

Attachments

• School.jpg
    School.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

This suggestion is just laughable.

The timing is indeed odd IMO and why now? Why not in a year? Because by next summer Joachim will have completed his course, and even if he and our Marie should opt out as active DRF members, surely that could be postponed for six months or so?
And why no mentioning of such plans in the many interviews and statements there have been in regards to their children? It does seem a little improvised.

Frederik is on the coordination commission for the Youth Olympic Games in Lausanne taking place 9.-22. January, which means he could be staying in Switzerland for most of the first month, so doesn't it make good sense?
Frederik would be in Switzerland anyway, so why not combine it the next year?

And yes Joachim have moved to France, but honestly, if Frederik and Mary only could make plans after others in the DRF, then they would never be able to make any plans other than stay home for the rest of their life and do 80% of the duties for the DRF. Joachim and Marie have far more freedom and can (practically) do whatever they want and also does so. The likelihood of them staying in France for longer than a year is big, so if Frederik and Mary and their children should be able to take some larger family experiences, too, while they have time, they must take it then it fits into their calender. And this is the first and maybe the last time they do such a thing. Shouldn't they be allowed to? Without having to stand in the last end and only able to such a thing if it should happen no others in the family have plans.

Additionally, in BT's article, the school confirms that the course the kids are going to be following is a part of their winter school. So not just an extended winter holiday :)rolleyes:) where they'll be enrolled in random classes at some Swiss school, but an actual course the school offers. And since it is an existing programme, I'm sure that also played a part in the timing of the stay – meaning postponing it till Joachim and Marie get back (if they do) was likely not an option.

so the family can enjoy a 3 months skiing holiday disguised as an 'international schooling experience' which happens to be in their favorite skiing destination exactly during ski season?

A 3 month winter course that has skiing as part of the programme would take place during the Verbier skiing season, wouldn't it? ;)

Verbier beeing their favourite skiing destination would make it more likely that they became interested in this particular school. In other words: Having stayed in Verbier many times, they have heard about this winter programme and Verbier is also a familiar place for the kids.

Last edited:
Additionally, in BT's article, the school confirms that the course the kids are going to be following is a part of their winter school. So not just an extended winter holiday :)rolleyes:) where they'll be enrolled in random classes at some Swiss school, but an actual course the school offers. And since it is an existing programme, I'm sure that also played a part in the timing of the stay – meaning postponing it till Joachim and Marie get back (if they do) was likely not an option.
Nobody suggested that they would just be taking 'random classes'. That's just you misrepresenting others' arguments.

If Joachim and Marie intend to come back, I don't see the problem with postponing for a year. In that way the lack of activities by Mary (and Frederik) could be covered by Joachim and Marie.

The school itself presents itself as the perfect place to go for skiing! That's their number 1 selling point ("The Number 1 Ski Resort In Europe") for this tailored 'school/ski-program'; secondary, the children will receive high quality education based on the English curriculum (so they will have some adjustment issues both going and getting back to school in Denmark). So, all of this confirms to me that they are going on an educational ski-holiday for three months.

Based on their ages,
Christian will be placed in grade/year 9
Isabella in grade/year 8
Vincent & Josephine in grade/year 4.

As they only have to pay the 'spring term fee', it will be 2000 CHF admission costs and 16.000 CHF for Vincent & Josephine and 17.880 for Isabella & Christian. So, 75.760 in total (about 69.000 EUR). Skiing for two times a week is included (in addition they can join the school's skiing club for another day of skiing on Saturdays for 400 CHF pp) but additional fees might apply for private classes, examinations and various events.

Spring term runs from January 6 to April 3. They also offer Autumn and Summer terms but those terms don't include skiing...

All in all, I hope (and expect) it will be a great adventure for them. They might not learn as much about the subjects being taught (or at least not necessarily what fits in their school curriculum) but will have a great (but rather exclusive) experience getting to know other kids from many different countries, probably also improving on their French (I assume their English is on par and their French most likely acceptable) and enjoying the skiing and luxurious mountain lifestyle this winter.

Last edited:
What a fantastic opportunity for the children. I'm glad that they are modern parents and won't send their children away completely alone for very long periods (makes me think of Prince Charles and Gordonstoun).

The press release at Kongehuset.dk clearly states that the Crown Princess will primarily be staying in Switzerland with the children and that her official program during this period of time will be heavily reduced. It also states that the Crown Prince will be staying with the family when his schedule allows for it, indicating that his official program will not be reduced...

(Didn't expected anything else. The Queen is soon 80 and still going strong despite pain in her back and knees, but ofcourse they won't leave her completely alone for 12 weeks in a row).

A 3 month winter course that has skiing as part of the programme would take place during the Verbier skiing season, wouldn't it? ;)

Verbier beeing their favourite skiing destination would make it more likely that they became interested in this particular school. In other words: Having stayed in Verbier many times, they have heard about this winter programme and Verbier is also a familiar place for the kids.

Exactly. That's why I said they are going on a skiing holiday that's disguised as an international schooling experience. Had the 'schooling' been the most important aspect it would be unlikely they somehow ended up at their favorite skiing destination during winter season.

Or do you think they would have chosen this particular school had skiing not been part of the equation at all? The school advertises itself this way and I do think that's what attracted Frederik and Mary (and many other wealthy parents) to spend three months at this school. Note: the above doesn't mean that the children won't receive quality education - but it is a bit harder to explain that Mary won't be doing as many activities in Denmark so she and her children can enjoy a 3-month ski season for which they moved to Verbier and of course have their children attend school (that includes skiing as part of the regular program).

Again, I wish them a wonderful experience and I think it's a great opportunity for the children; and I fully understand Mary staying with them as much as possible but in the end that means that this 'fun family time' comes at a cost (less activities by Mary) for Denmark at a time where the family is already shorthanded in numbers. Maybe Benedikte can pick up a bit for those months to support her sister when the queen's children are mostly gone?!

Last edited:
Exactly. That's why I said they are going on a skiing holiday that's disguised as an international schooling experience. Had the 'schooling' been the most important aspect it would be unlikely they somehow ended up at their favorite skiing destination during winter season.

The is no "exactly"...We obviously see this differently.

Nobody suggested that they would just be taking 'random classes'. That's just you misrepresenting others' arguments.

If Joachim and Marie intend to come back, I don't see the problem with postponing for a year. In that way the lack of activities by Mary (and Frederik) could be covered by Joachim and Marie.

The school itself presents itself as the perfect place to go for skiing! That's their number 1 selling point ("The Number 1 Ski Resort In Europe") for this tailored 'school/ski-program'; secondary, the children will receive high quality education based on the English curriculum (so they will have some adjustment issues both going and getting back to school in Denmark). So, all of this confirms to me that they are going on an educational ski-holiday for three months. I hope it will be a great adventure for them.

Based on their ages,
Christian will be placed in grade/year 9
Isabella in grade/year 8
Vincent & Josephine in grade/year 4.

As they only have to pay the 'spring term fee', it will be 2000 CHF admission costs and 16.000 CHF for Vincent & Josephine and 17.880 for Isabella & Christian. So, 75.760 in total (about 69.000 EUR). Skiing for two times a week is included (in addition they can join the school's skiing club for another day of skiing on Saturdays for 400 CHF pp) but additional fees might apply for private classes, examinations and various events.

Spring term runs from January 6 to April 3. They also offer Autumn and Summer terms but those terms don't include skiing...

Not taking random classes, but being enrolled in random classes. By classes I mean forms/grades/years. And since that comment was neither directed at a specific poster nor going off of comments in this thread, no, I'm not misinterpreting anyone's arguments.

I'm not sure what the point of listing the school fees is in this context. If it's to somehow suggest that four children who've been enrolled in a state school all their lives are leeching on the tax payers by following a programme abroad for three months, I'd say that's a bit rich (ba-dum-tss) since right about every other royal child in this family has attended private schools for their entire primary and secondary education. I mean, I'm no fan of royals attending private schools (primarily since I believe that if state schools are good enough for the plebs, surely they're good enough for the royal kids as well but also because I think it would do them well to mingle with children outside their social class) but I also don't understand why it somehow hasn't been a problem until it's these four kids receiving private education?

Based on the information the school provides on admission fees, it seems only the spring term is offered separately. Hence my suggestion that working around the school's schedule too played a part in the timing ? But hey, if the "extended winter break" narrative is what you're trying to push, don't let reason stand in your way.

Or do you think they would have chosen this particular school had skiing not been part of the equation at all? The school advertises itself this way and I do think that's what attracted Frederik and Mary (and many other wealthy parents) to spend three months at this school. Note: the above doesn't mean that the children won't receive quality education - but it is a bit harder to explain that Mary won't be doing as many activities in Denmark so she and her children can enjoy a 3-month ski season for which they moved to Verbier and of course have their children attend school (that includes skiing as part of the regular program).

Going by this logic, I'm assuming you also think it's hard to explain why Marie and the kids went with Joachim to France? It severely impacts Marie's ability to perform her official engagements for an entire year for no other reason than to be near Joachim.

Last edited:
When I first saw this on the DRF Facebook page, I thought the twins are a little young for boarding school. But now that I know more of the details, it seems like F&M have put a lot of thought into it. Frederik would no doubt have spent a lot of the month of January in Switzerland anyway. This way the family will get more time together.

Great to have a bit more info. :flowers:

I think the timing worked perfectly. The 12 week course is already offered by the school during the winter period. (not the summer)
Frederik being part of the coordination committee for the Lausanne 2020 Youth Olympics for the past years, probably got the idea of the kids studying abroad flowing. I suspect Frederik had it in his agenda for January 2020 to attend the Olympics in Switzerland.

And looking at the official calendars from past years, January and February are lighter for the DRF. February's winter break usually had the family in Switzerland.
Great that the family has jumped into this opportunity that might not present itself again, with Frederik and Mary's workload only increasing.

Very interesting theory Muhler. That might be in the back of their minds too ;)

I agree polyesco. Brilliant opportunity for the children but having parents close. The fact that they will be meeting other children their age is so valuable. Not exactly easy for royals. I give parents credit plus I am sure that the Queen approves. This entire project has probably been thought about for a year as their working schedule was already known well in advance. Children meeting and talking to others their age from all over the world and with different backgrounds is wonderful and they will remember all their lives. JMO

Lots of schools in the alps incorporate skiing into their day during the season, including state schools that "normal" non royal kids go to, it's not just "an excuse for an extended holiday". A school that's in Verbier and doesn't proudly shout about the fantastic location for skiing and other winter sports is too stupid to last long.

Skiiing twice a week as basically part of PE is hardly a most of the time with a couple of academic lessons here and there. And trust me, as a boarding school they have a lot of hours in the day to fill, so they could ski in the afternoon and go back for lessons afterwards, which is (minus the skiing) what I did. If they're following the English school system it should be ok academic wise and a bi lingual school is always an interesting experience.

It seems very sudden and possibly a trial run for a longer stay at a boarding school in a different country but unless anything else comes up I'm going to assume they saw a good opportunity not for a jaunt but to expand the kids' horizons, have them go somewhere a little more anonymous with other kids 24/7 and it fitted in with Fredrick's IOC position.

Last edited:
Now that I've learned it's a specific winter-course, I'm going to back off my off the spur-thought that it could be something happening prior to QMII abdicating.

Interesting to learn about the costs and the skiing opportunities.
It is a private school aimed at the more influential and wealthy segment of humanity and they have to sell themselves. There are after all quite a few private schools in Switzerland!
So I think it's a little premature to call this an extended winter-holiday. - Of course M&F will be doing some skiing while there, that's what Verbier is famous for.
It will be interesting to see whether other among M&F's circle of friends will enroll their children into this class at the same time. Some of their children being classmates or at least attending the same school as M&F's children.

Lots of schools in the alps incorporate skiing into their day during the season, including state schools that "normal" non royal kids go to, it's not just "an excuse for an extended holiday". A school that's in Verbier and doesn't proudly shout about the fantastic location for skiing and other winter sports is too stupid to last long.

Skiiing twice a week as basically part of PE is hardly a most of the time with a couple of academic lessons here and there.

It seems very sudden and possibly a trial run for a longer stay at a boarding school in a different country but unless anything else comes up I'm going to assume they saw a good opportunity not for a jaunt but to expand the kids' horizons, have them go somewhere a little more anonymous with other kids 24/7 and it fitted in with Fredrick's IOC position.

Verbier is skiing but the school is obviously not just about that, there's arts and music, sports etc

http://www.lvis.ch/activities/?child=after-school-activities
http://www.lvis.ch/activities/?child=after-school-activities

Lots of interesting opportunities. ? for the kids of an active family.

The fact that this was announced now, does not mean it was sudden.
Taking all four kids and themselves away from Denmark and their duties would not have been a decision made over night.

I don't see Frederik and Mary as the sort of parents who would suddenly wake up one morning and ask the kids if they want to spend a few months at a school in Verbier. ;) or that they would not value a good education, that they would take the kids from their normal surroundings somewhere that was only about good skiing.

Last edited:
Not taking random classes, but being enrolled in random classes. By classes I mean forms/grades/years. And since that comment was neither directed at a specific poster nor going off of comments in this thread, no, I'm not misinterpreting anyone's arguments.
I think I don't fully understand what you are arguing; but that's ok.

I'm not sure what the point of listing the school fees is in this context. If it's to somehow suggest that four children who've been enrolled in a state school all their lives are leeching on the tax payers by following a programme abroad for three months, I'd say that's a bit rich (ba-dum-tss) since right about every other royal child in this family has attended private schools for their entire primary and secondary education. I mean, I'm no fan of royals attending private schools (primarily since I believe that if state schools are good enough for the plebs, surely they're good enough for the royal kids as well but also because I think it would do them well to mingle with children outside their social class) but I also don't understand why it somehow hasn't been a problem until it's these four kids receiving private education?
I am glad you are including the 'I'm not sure...' because I was not implying that it's wrong in any way. It's information that some might find interesting (among other things to get a feel for the type of peers they might encounter) - other than that, it's all up to each one's personal interpretation.

Based on the information the school provides on admission fees, it seems only the spring term is offered separately. Hence my suggestion that working around the school's schedule too played a part in the timing ? But hey, if the "extended winter break" narrative is what you're trying to push, don't let reason stand in your way.
Well, imo that's the one and only reason the school is offering a 'spring break'. If they thought people would like to come to Verbier during other months of the year, I am sure they would offer that opportunity as well. But they must have noticed that the Verbier clientele might like to extend their winter break to a three month period but would be unlikely to come just for fall or summer.

Going by this logic, I'm assuming you also think it's hard to explain why Marie and the kids went with Joachim to France? It severely impacts Marie's ability to perform her official engagements for an entire year for no other reason than to be near Joachim.
No, not at all. I am totally fine with Marie and the children staying with Joachim in France. As I clearly stated, I also fully understand that Mary will stay with the children. The part that raises questions is that the reason for the crown prince family's absence is a 'fun family break' - while Joachim and Marie are already out of the country as well.

Last edited:
wartenberg7
Just imagine the norwegian royalchildren would do likewise - Haakon and MM would get crucified....!
IIRC the Norwegian children were taken out of school for 2 month to travel the world. And their parents are still alive.:lol:

Last edited:
Good idea. I agree with all the positive posts above.
I see this as a good opportunity for Mary to do a crash course in French herself. While she is there for 3 months or however long it is.

IIRC the Norwegian children were taken out of school for 2 month to travel the world. And their parents are still alive.:lol:

Yes and they got a lot of bad publicity for it as well. They took Ingrid out when she was in her first year of schooling. Sverre was only four at the time. They certainly didnt come out unscathed from it.

The difference here is the kids are not going on holiday, they are going to school. Yes the school has a skiing program but also a strong academic program. Their education will not suffer and it will only be three months. And Mary will be close by for the younger ones.

I do think it likely is a trial run. I'd not be surprised if they are considering boarding school eventually. Though perhaps not abroad. Fred and Joachim did, as did one of Joachim's sons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom