The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #641  
Old 04-21-2021, 01:47 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Three years.

High school (gymnasium) in DK is three years.
Correct, Nikolai went to Herlufsholm, while Felix opted for a high school in Copenhagen - a high school, that as far as I understand, has a large segment of students from the more affluent parts of Copenhagen.
At Herlufsholm the majority of students are from affluent families all over DK. The difference between Herlufsholm and the high school Felix is attending is perhaps that showing off is frowned upon at Herlufsholm.
Jet-set versus old money.

Can Christian choose a specific concentration area in High School, e.g. Math/Natural Sciences vs Social Sciences/Humanities, or do all HS students (British English pupils) study the same subjects in Denmark?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #642  
Old 04-21-2021, 02:06 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Can Christian choose a specific concentration area in High School, e.g. Math/Natural Sciences vs Social Sciences/Humanities, or do all HS students (British English pupils) study the same subjects in Denmark?
Christian will indeed focus on a specific field. Which he is to choose after an introduction period of three months.
That will depend on his interests, abilities and the education he may wish to pursue later on.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #643  
Old 04-30-2021, 03:12 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,201
A few details about Herlufsholm, where Christian will be boarding.
https://www.bt.dk/samfund/se-videoen...stians-nye-liv

The school was established in 1565. Before that it had been a monastery for a few centuries. Parts of the monastery is still there, among them the cells the monks lived in.
https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...unkeceller.jpg
(When the Reformation took place in 1534, the various monks and nuns were usually allowed to stay in the cloisters/monasteries until they died, or there were so few left that they were amalgamated. - They were also free to leave for a Catholic country. - So after a few decades the last monk died and the last monastery was closed. So Herlufsholm may very well have been a monastery until relatively few years before the school was established.)
The church at Herlufsholm dates back to around 1200, and parts of that church is still visible today.

Today the school consists of 600 students from grade 6 to the third and last year of high school. A little less than half of those are boarders.
Each boarding student has a little room, but they are required to to sleep in dormitories. It's lights out at 22.30 - no mobiles after that.
https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...41-sovesal.jpg

There are of course a lot of traditions and quirks in such an old school. The use of various expressions. The last year high schoolers are allowed to wear white pants.
Reply With Quote
  #644  
Old 04-30-2021, 11:26 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Does anyone know if Princess Alexandra's daughter Countess Ingrid is still at Herlufsholm?
IIRC then Countess Ingrid is attending Nyborg Gymnasium, but I'm not sure ...

Just checked with Billed-Bladet, week 8 edition: Countess Ingrid is attending Nyborg Gymnasium (high school).
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.

Candidata Theologiae / Master in Theology
Reply With Quote
  #645  
Old 04-30-2021, 01:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A few details about Herlufsholm, where Christian will be boarding.
https://www.bt.dk/samfund/se-videoen...stians-nye-liv

The school was established in 1565. Before that it had been a monastery for a few centuries. Parts of the monastery is still there, among them the cells the monks lived in.
https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...unkeceller.jpg
(When the Reformation took place in 1534, the various monks and nuns were usually allowed to stay in the cloisters/monasteries until they died, or there were so few left that they were amalgamated. - They were also free to leave for a Catholic country. - So after a few decades the last monk died and the last monastery was closed. So Herlufsholm may very well have been a monastery until relatively few years before the school was established.)
The church at Herlufsholm dates back to around 1200, and parts of that church is still visible today.

Today the school consists of 600 students from grade 6 to the third and last year of high school. A little less than half of those are boarders.
Each boarding student has a little room, but they are required to to sleep in dormitories. It's lights out at 22.30 - no mobiles after that.
https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...41-sovesal.jpg

There are of course a lot of traditions and quirks in such an old school. The use of various expressions. The last year high schoolers are allowed to wear white pants.

Wasn't Prince Nicolai at that boarding school as well? - Just saw that the question was already answered. Thank you, Muhler!
Reply With Quote
  #646  
Old 04-30-2021, 02:56 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Norman, United States
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
A few details about Herlufsholm, where Christian will be boarding.
https://www.bt.dk/samfund/se-videoen...stians-nye-liv

The school was established in 1565. Before that it had been a monastery for a few centuries. Parts of the monastery is still there, among them the cells the monks lived in.
https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...unkeceller.jpg
(When the Reformation took place in 1534, the various monks and nuns were usually allowed to stay in the cloisters/monasteries until they died, or there were so few left that they were amalgamated. - They were also free to leave for a Catholic country. - So after a few decades the last monk died and the last monastery was closed. So Herlufsholm may very well have been a monastery until relatively few years before the school was established.)
The church at Herlufsholm dates back to around 1200, and parts of that church is still visible today.

Today the school consists of 600 students from grade 6 to the third and last year of high school. A little less than half of those are boarders.
Each boarding student has a little room, but they are required to to sleep in dormitories. It's lights out at 22.30 - no mobiles after that.
https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/reso...41-sovesal.jpg

There are of course a lot of traditions and quirks in such an old school. The use of various expressions. The last year high schoolers are allowed to wear white pants.
Very interesting and thank you:) Do you have a sense as to why Prince Christian and his family chose this particular school?
Reply With Quote
  #647  
Old 04-30-2021, 03:11 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryVirginia View Post
Very interesting and thank you:) Do you have a sense as to why Prince Christian and his family chose this particular school?
A qualified guess would be that he know a number of people who went to Herlufsholm. Not least his cousin Nikolai, but no doubt also friends of the family who went there.
And perhaps he and some of his classmates have agreed on going to Herlufsholm together. Many pupils at his school are from prominent and/or old families for whom going to Herlufsholm is certainly affordable and an option, but perhaps even a family tradition.

And M&F as parents would consider their son's wishes and judge whether they believe this is something for him. I.e. is he the type who will thrive away from home and is he social.
They would no doubt also consider whether he will know someone there, so that he won't be alone.
And finally they would no doubt consider the quality of education at Herlufsholm - which is very good.

I doubt M&F would pressure Christian to attend another high school, just for "political" reasons. Partly because your child do and should come first and partly because Christian and his siblings have already gone to a normal public school, with relatively "ordinary" people. The school is public alright, but considering the location, the pupils and the parents, an elite public school.
Reply With Quote
  #648  
Old 05-01-2021, 06:52 AM
FasterB's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The school is public alright, but considering the location, the pupils and the parents, an elite public school.
And add to that the location is quite secluded from Næstved. The pupils are allowed to walk (or drive if they prefer - it takes longer than to walk) and go on cafees, on shopping spree and to the discos. The good thing is that people in Næstved are used to see the young herlovianere (<-word for the pupils at Herlufsholm) in city and pay no attention.
I can't remember I have seen Prince Nikolai and/or Countess Ingrid, but we see the herlovianere quite often in the streets and in the forest between Næstved and Herlufsholm
__________________
Where charity and love are, God is there.

Candidata Theologiae / Master in Theology
Reply With Quote
  #649  
Old 05-01-2021, 07:21 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterB View Post
And add to that the location is quite secluded from Næstved. The pupils are allowed to walk (or drive if they prefer - it takes longer than to walk) and go on cafees, on shopping spree and to the discos. The good thing is that people in Næstved are used to see the young herlovianere (<-word for the pupils at Herlufsholm) in city and pay no attention.
I can't remember I have seen Prince Nikolai and/or Countess Ingrid, but we see the herlovianere quite often in the streets and in the forest between Næstved and Herlufsholm

Maybe they offer something that Christian is really interested in. My nephew decided to go to a boarding school because they host the "academy" of his American Football team, so he can train with his team collegues easily without needing transport and without too much coordination efforts. But he likjes it there because he is still just a phone call away from home but in a world where he can figure out who he is without his family background. There are some people who really feel they were born to become their father's successor as the patriach of the family (like my brother has been) and that makes it difficult to spread your wings close to them. A boarding school is a good way to stay within the family but be freer within the restrictions of the school life.

I always thought my son was much more adult than his cousin at the same age (my son is 10 years older) but since my nephew left for boarding school, he really made up for it!
And for Christian is might be that he prefers to be one of the group now instead of being the "heir to the heir to the throne, living in the family's Royal palace". It will be a good training for the time when he works with different people who are close but only to an invisible line, while his family is just that: his family.
Reply With Quote
  #650  
Old 05-02-2021, 03:10 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 63,931
A number of posts have been moved to the following thread:

** Genealogy of the Royal Family of Denmark **
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #651  
Old 05-04-2021, 02:38 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 63,931
Today’s posts about Prince Christian's confirmation have been moved to the already existing extra thread, see here.

__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #652  
Old 05-05-2021, 09:28 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 7,316
According to Royal Central, crown princess Mary was asked about Christian moving away for high school to which she responded "We support his choice of high school". So, that sounds as if the decision was driven by Christian (but of course, he wouldn't have been able to go through with it without his parents' support).
Reply With Quote
  #653  
Old 05-13-2021, 05:48 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 9,794
A gallery of Christian in honor of his upcoming confirmation. Such a sweet boy
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...-mand#130416-1
Reply With Quote
  #654  
Old 05-14-2021, 02:52 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 8,462
The Royal House of Denmark has released several photos of Prince Christian:

https://www.kongehuset.dk/foto-video...liv-i-billeder
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #655  
Old 05-22-2021, 04:05 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san diego, United States
Posts: 9,794
Isabella with some friends at a new bike store.
https://www.seoghoer.dk/kongelige/pr...n-med-toeserne

https://images.seoghoer.dk/s3fs-publ...=imgixjs-3.4.0
https://images.seoghoer.dk/s3fs-publ...=imgixjs-3.4.0
Reply With Quote
  #656  
Old 05-22-2021, 04:13 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 7,316
And the man in the back is her security officer?
Reply With Quote
  #657  
Old 05-22-2021, 04:38 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 8,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
And the man in the back is her security officer?
I think so. That man must be Princess Isabella's security officer.
__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #658  
Old 05-22-2021, 05:15 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 15,201
The article says that one PET officer was nearby.
The group was driven to the bike-store by a friend of M&F.

The article also says that Frederik was supposed to have been there for the opening of the store, that sells sports bicycles. But he never showed up.
Presumably that's why the photographer was present.

But I'm not entirely sure that M&F will be pleased with these photos!
Even though it was an opening event, and even though Isabella and friends gave their permission to be photographed, she is only 14 and it is not for her to grant such a permission. Strictly speaking.
Okay, perhaps the photographer called the court afterwards, but it's at least half a step across the line regarding privacy! Especially when it's children.

And then there are the other girls. While you can argue that Isabella is a public person, they are not.
Reply With Quote
  #659  
Old 05-23-2021, 08:54 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The article says that one PET officer was nearby.
The group was driven to the bike-store by a friend of M&F.

The article also says that Frederik was supposed to have been there for the opening of the store, that sells sports bicycles. But he never showed up.
Presumably that's why the photographer was present.

But I'm not entirely sure that M&F will be pleased with these photos!
Even though it was an opening event, and even though Isabella and friends gave their permission to be photographed, she is only 14 and it is not for her to grant such a permission. Strictly speaking.
Okay, perhaps the photographer called the court afterwards, but it's at least half a step across the line regarding privacy! Especially when it's children.

And then there are the other girls. While you can argue that Isabella is a public person, they are not.

To me it depends a little on whether this was meant to be a public event for Frederik, (or if the photographer just caught wind that he was going to be there and was hanging around hoping to get pictures), and Isabella was going to be there with her father in some sort of official or semi official capacity. If she and her friends were just meant to go and sort of hang out in the background even with Frederik present I think the pictures cross a line.

Regardless, with the protection officer and the other parent, there were two adults present who presumably could have objected when they saw the girls being photographed.

Maybe Mary and Frederik have spoken to the older children, at least, about how to handle this sort of situation? Photographers popping up unexpectedly are unfortunately going to be part of their lives. If I were in their shoes I think I might be annoyed that the pictures were taken, but might also see that this was a fairly harmless situation that arose where Isabella could practice the things we’d spoken about. She seemed to handle the situation well.
Reply With Quote
  #660  
Old 05-23-2021, 10:19 AM
Prinsara's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 2,370
The age of consent for children to do many independent things on the Internet is 13, at least in North America, and even more seriously, the age to consent independently to psychiatric treatment is about 14 or so.

I don't know the press laws in Denmark or the palace policies for the underage royals, or F&M's decisions for their kids, but all that aside, Isabella is reasonably old enough to decide whether she's okay with having her picture taken, or not. She's not in any type of situation where it would cause a scandal or damage the monarchy.

The more important part is had she declined, I hope that would have been respected.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011 JessRulz Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary and Family 643 08-27-2021 07:53 PM
Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News Part 2: January 2013 - November 2015 dazzling Current Events Archive 471 11-15-2015 03:28 AM
Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News 1: February 2011 - January 2013 JessRulz Current Events Archive 430 01-10-2013 11:40 AM




Popular Tags
#uae #abudhabirullingfamily albert prince consort all tags archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian birth braganza british royal family cadwallader camilla castile charles colorblindness congo coronation crown jewels danish royal family de la cerda denmark duchess of kent duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex gemstones genetics guzman history india ingrid-alexandra ivrea japan japanese imperial family japan history king edward iii king henry iii king juan carlos king philippe liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers louis mountbatten maria ii medical monarchist movements monarchists mongolia mountbatten nara period noble families official visit orleans-braganza pedro ii politics portugal prince andrew prince charles prince harry prince of wales prince of wales in jordan queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria samurai spanish royal family state visit st edward tokugawa uae


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises
×