The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-10-2021, 04:37 PM
Administrator

We have an extra thread for the interesting topic of Family Resemblances, so all posts of today have been moved to that thread.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

When Crown Princess Mary became pregnant in 2010, she and Crown Prince Frederik went for the first scan at Rigshospitalet - and the surprise was huge for both of them when the doctor told them there were not one... but two babies in there!

Former chief of court, Per Thornit, tells in the portrait book about the Crown Prince about the surprising baby news that Crown Princess Mary in the time happily and overwhelmedly called and told him:

“- Oh Per, you should have seen Frederik when he found out! He looked completely insane and kept saying: Twins? Twins? Is it twins? Is it twins? I wish I had taken a picture of him.”

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelig...aa-vild-besked

** I'm sure this has been shared somewhere in here before, but I sharing the article on the occasion of the 10th birthday cause it really must be a big surprise to be told there are two babies in there!

Old 01-11-2021, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I always thought that may be was IVF, 2 kids for one pregnancy. Is any twins in the familys? I mean is it a very rear thing naturally. My farfar was a twin, non of his children or grandchildren had twins. one of his greatgrandchildren married a son of a twin and she didn't have twins even she had the chances from 2 families.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

However, in that case, why would Frederick be so surprised as that would have required to place two embryos back instead of one? So, it would have been one of three possible outcomes: none, one or two babies.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Dear Ashelen. It was a natural pregnancy. And while F&M of course were very surprised it is actually not at all uncommon that when couples wish for a no. 3, then twins come along. F&M is a good example of that. It is scientifically proven that it is more common to have twins for women over the age of 35 than for younger women. This is due to an increased production of the hormone FSH, which can lead to women more often release more than just the normal one egg in a cycle compared to women under 35 years of age.

IIRC Frederik has in a interview actually mentioned the twin pregnancy as a miracle as they ‘just’ tried for a no. 3 (The court informed by the way also back in time it was a natural pregnancy) so when F&M decided to work on no. 3, Mary's body (due to her age) most likely 'went a little ga-ga' and thus Mary produced 2 eggs instead of the normal one egg. And that means a good chance for twins if small little soldiers pass by. And then you end up with a no. 3 and a no. 4 (and fraternal twins)

I think there are twins on Mary's side, but I doubt that's the reason here. It is most likely the age, as described above.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post
Dear Ashelen. It was a natural pregnancy. And while F&M of course were very surprised it is actually not at all uncommon that when couples wish for a no. 3, then twins come along. F&M is a good example of that. It is scientifically proven that it is more common to have twins for women over the age of 35 than for younger women. This is due to an increased production of the hormone FSH, which can lead to women more often release more than just the normal one egg in a cycle compared to women under 35 years of age.

(...)

I think there are twins on Mary's side, but I doubt that's the reason here. It is most likely the age, as described above.
Yes, very likely. That way my sister-in-law ended up with a fourth and fifth younger brother and sister... Instead of her parents only having a 4th child.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskilde View Post

IIRC Frederik has in a interview actually mentioned the twin pregnancy as a miracle as they ‘just’ tried for a no. 3 (The court informed by the way also back in time it was a natural pregnancy) so when F&M decided to work on no. 3, Mary's body (due to her age) most likely 'went a little ga-ga' and thus Mary produced 2 eggs instead of the normal one egg. And that means a good chance for twins if small little soldiers pass by. And then you end up with a no. 3 and a no. 4 (and fraternal twins)

Quite true. I've met 2 years ago a British couple who had 4 children, the two youngest were twins. They said that they didn't have twins in the family for neither of them. They had a girl, and then they had a boy, and when they tried for the no.3 (a no.4 also came along /2 boys). They were so shocked and horrified