Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News Part 3: November 2015 - June 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian won't feel alone at Herlufsholm.
A number of children of very close friends of M&F are or will also attend school or high school at Herlufsholm.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...lufsholm-her-er-hans-taette-venner-paa-skolen

They are:
Holger Skeel, son of Jørgen og Malou Skeel from Birkelse Manor, which M&F often visit, especially when they go to Trend.

Thomas, son of Nina Wedell-Wedellsborg and Peter Aandahl. Severel members of the noble and rich Wedell-Wedellsborg family are friends of M&F.

Ludvig, Holger and Eloise, children of Otto and Helle Reedtz-Thott.
Very close friends of M&F, and Mary stayed at their manor, when she first came to DK.

Is that a schooluniform? Is that normal in Denmark?

Is that an early start or normal for schools in Denmark ,here the Academic year normally starts in early September to late May.

Congratulations to HRH Prince Christian.

Is that a schooluniform? Is that normal in Denmark?

A school uniform is rare in DK, and basically only used at a baording school like Herlufsholm.

Is that an early start or normal for schools in Denmark ,here the Academic year normally starts in early September to late May.

Congratulations to HRH Prince Christian.

The school year in DK is from early August to late June.

A school uniform is rare in DK, and basically only used at a baording school like Herlufsholm.

The school year in DK is from early August to late June.

Interesting. That looks like a longer school year than in other countries. Do you have more midterm breaks/holidays perhaps to compensate for the earlier start?

Interesting. That looks like a longer school year than in other countries. Do you have more midterm breaks/holidays perhaps to compensate for the earlier start?

Six weeks of summer holiday. Late June to early August.

One week of winter holiday in February.

One week in October.

And a little more than a week during Christmas and New Year.

In addition to that many families take the three days up to Easter off and as such take their children out of school these days as well. - But the Easter-week is not an official holiday. (Easter in DK starts Thursday and includes Monday after the weekend.)
Apart from that there are a handful of holidays during spring as well as 1st May and Constitution Day on 5th June - if they fall on a weekday that is.

Good looking young man, looks like his mother,IMO. Here’s hoping he will learn how to tie a proper tie and learn to keep his hands out of his pockets!

Good looking young man, looks like his mother,IMO. Here’s hoping he will learn how to tie a proper tie and learn to keep his hands out of his pockets!

Ha ha ha. I wonder where he picked up those habits from. I guess you can see where the school spends it's money -- the busts in the corridor for instance.
I hope young Prince Christian enjoys his time there.

Here’s hoping he will learn how to tie a proper tie and learn to keep his hands out of his pockets!

Proper tie...

What I get from this photo is that it's an emotional day for the parents when their first born leaves home and only comes home every second weekend.

A new school, new surroundings and a new life for 15 year old Christian.

Good luck with the new school, Christian!

Last edited:
What is wrong with his tie?

The translation is correct in the sense that "gård" = farm.

But a school-yard is called a "skolegård".

So the best translation would be that the students are settling in at their houses - in boarding school terminology. Those who have seen Harry Potter know exactly what I mean.

The translation is correct in the sense that "gård" = farm.

But a school-yard is called a "skolegård".

So the best translation would be that the students are settling in at their houses - in boarding school terminology. Those who have seen Harry Potter know exactly what I mean.

It makes sense as 'g' in other Germanic languages sometimes is changed to 'y' in modern English, as in German 'gestern' or Dutch 'gisteren' which became 'yester' in English and is now part of the word 'yesterday' (according to the Wiktionary, from ġiestrandæġ in Old English).

AFAIK the majority of the different houses at Herlufsholm are called "[name]gården". I know one of the houses is named for Herlufsholm's co-founder and first principal (and once Dorothea of Brandenburg's lady's maid), Birgitte Gøye (which makes the house Birgitte Gøye Gården).

Sounds a bit weird in translation but actually countless of schools around Denmark are actually called [something]-gård-school – Tranegårdskolen being one of them.

For whatever reason I can't view the video.

Anyway, BB writes that Isabella arrived with a friend and two adults.
DK won over Israel in a very one-sided match by 5-0. So I think the mood was high!

For whatever reason I can't view the video.

Anyway, BB writes that Isabella arrived with a friend and two adults.
DK won over Israel in a very one-sided match by 5-0. So I think the mood was high!

Aren't these two men the bouncers?
Is this Princess Isabella's friend known? Do you know who it is?

I sure would like to answer your questions, but I can't see any of them. :ermm:

I think that they were received at the van they arrived in by maybe a security person from the stadium that walked them inside.....at least that is what it looked like to me. Not sure who the bearded gentleman in the puffer vest is.

Bouncers from the stadium? No. Fairly positive at least one of the men accompanying them is a PET officer.

No to the latter.

Yes, an annual traditional event, including bird-shooting. - A medieval celebration, where the best archers shot at wooden-birds perched at poles. The best becoming "bird-king".
Later on that progressed to muskets and other muzzle-loaders. (Frederik and Joachim attend an annual bird-shoot BTW.)
I don't know what the students at Herlufsholm use nowadays to hit those birds. Air-guns perhaps?

This festivity, having taken place for centuries, of course includes a lot of traditions that Christian, along with the other new students, are introduced to.

Thanks for the explanation!

Is this something parents attend too? I ask because unfortunately Frederik and Mary have two events that day including the CPC Awards.

Having seen this video of a previous bird-shooting at Herlufsholm, I don't think parents are present, at least not the whole day.
It appears to be a merry and wet... event.

But I understand that former students can visit and watch a procession early in the day.

Wow....that looks like a major rager...lol. Prom night gone wild!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom