Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News Part 3: November 2015 - June 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I see Princess Josephine I think she is the secret boss of her family.

And I was thinking the same thing when I saw Princess Josephine with her arms folded :lol:

Everytime I see Princess Josephine I think she is the secret boss of her family.

Agree. :lol:

And full of mischief. I have a distinct feeling that she keeps the rest of her family on their toes with her antics.

As for Vincent: I'll quote my mother-in-law: I could eat him! ?
He's grandma-bait. :D

Two beautiful monograms for two beautiful children.

Vincent's monogram is strong and simple.

Josephine's monogram is feminine and graceful.

I love that all four children of our future King have been given their own personal royal monogram.

Last edited:
The German TV show, Brisant, will cover Vincent & Josephine today at 17.15 at ARD.

You may be able to watch it live here: https://live.daserste.de/
In 1½ hour after this is posted.

:previous: I agree. IMO he resembles his cousin Felix rather than Christian. Josephine seems to favor Christian and Isabella.

Great photos of the birthday kids!:daneflag2:

A little information on the monograms.
https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/d...rince-vincent-granted-royal-monograms-154556/

Prince Vincent’s monogram consists of the Prince’s first initial ‘V’ with a fixed classic left wing combined with a doubled lined right wing. King Christian II’s crown has been placed above the initial. Princess Josephine’s monogram consists of the Princess’s first initial ‘J’ and it is drawn as a calligraphic. She also has King Christian II’s crown placed above the initial.

The monograms were designed by graphic designer Charlotte Søeborg Ohlsen, with professional assistance from graphic designer Mads Quistgaard and graphic designer Cecilie Kirkeskov Knudsen.

Charming photos of Vincent and Josephine - they've changed so much since we last saw them - I can't believe they're 10 already. Vincent looks like Christian at that age IMO.

Nice to see their new monograms too.

I love the photos they both look charming Love the bow in Josephines hair and her hair cut

When Crown Princess Mary became pregnant in 2010, she and Crown Prince Frederik went for the first scan at Rigshospitalet - and the surprise was huge for both of them when the doctor told them there were not one... but two babies in there!

Former chief of court, Per Thornit, tells in the portrait book about the Crown Prince about the surprising baby news that Crown Princess Mary in the time happily and overwhelmedly called and told him:

“- Oh Per, you should have seen Frederik when he found out! He looked completely insane and kept saying: Twins? Twins? Is it twins? Is it twins? I wish I had taken a picture of him.” :D

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/mary-saadan-reagerede-frederik-paa-vild-besked

** I'm sure this has been shared somewhere in here before, but I sharing the article on the occasion of the 10th birthday cause it really must be a big surprise to be told there are two babies in there! :blink:

Last edited:
I always thought that may be was IVF, 2 kids for one pregnancy. Is any twins in the familys? I mean is it a very rear thing naturally. My farfar was a twin, non of his children or grandchildren had twins. one of his greatgrandchildren married a son of a twin and she didn't have twins even she had the chances from 2 families.

However, in that case, why would Frederick be so surprised as that would have required to place two embryos back instead of one? So, it would have been one of three possible outcomes: none, one or two babies.

Dear Ashelen. It was a natural pregnancy. And while F&M of course were very surprised it is actually not at all uncommon that when couples wish for a no. 3, then twins come along. F&M is a good example of that. It is scientifically proven that it is more common to have twins for women over the age of 35 than for younger women. This is due to an increased production of the hormone FSH, which can lead to women more often release more than just the normal one egg in a cycle compared to women under 35 years of age.

IIRC Frederik has in a interview actually mentioned the twin pregnancy as a miracle as they ‘just’ tried for a no. 3 (The court informed by the way also back in time it was a natural pregnancy) so when F&M decided to work on no. 3, Mary's body (due to her age) most likely 'went a little ga-ga' and thus Mary produced 2 eggs instead of the normal one egg. And that means a good chance for twins if small little soldiers pass by. And then you end up with a no. 3 and a no. 4 (and fraternal twins) :D

I think there are twins on Mary's side, but I doubt that's the reason here. It is most likely the age, as described above.

Last edited:
Dear Ashelen. It was a natural pregnancy. And while F&M of course were very surprised it is actually not at all uncommon that when couples wish for a no. 3, then twins come along. F&M is a good example of that. It is scientifically proven that it is more common to have twins for women over the age of 35 than for younger women. This is due to an increased production of the hormone FSH, which can lead to women more often release more than just the normal one egg in a cycle compared to women under 35 years of age.

(...)

I think there are twins on Mary's side, but I doubt that's the reason here. It is most likely the age, as described above.
Yes, very likely. That way my sister-in-law ended up with a fourth and fifth younger brother and sister... Instead of her parents only having a 4th child.

IIRC Frederik has in a interview actually mentioned the twin pregnancy as a miracle as they ‘just’ tried for a no. 3 (The court informed by the way also back in time it was a natural pregnancy) so when F&M decided to work on no. 3, Mary's body (due to her age) most likely 'went a little ga-ga' and thus Mary produced 2 eggs instead of the normal one egg. And that means a good chance for twins if small little soldiers pass by. And then you end up with a no. 3 and a no. 4 (and fraternal twins) :D

Quite true. I've met 2 years ago a British couple who had 4 children, the two youngest were twins. They said that they didn't have twins in the family for neither of them. They had a girl, and then they had a boy, and when they tried for the no.3 (a no.4 also came along :D/2 boys). They were so shocked and horrified :ohmy:

Today we learned that Princess Leonor is going to study at a school in the United Kingdom. And will Prince Christian also study abroad?
What are the expectations about the prince's education?

Today we learned that Princess Leonor is going to study at a school in the United Kingdom. And will Prince Christian also study abroad?
What are the expectations about the prince's education?

Almost certainly.

Frederik and QMII studied abroad.
Joachim worked abroad - in Australia and Hong Kong.

Christian:
High school. - Three years.
Military. Conscription. NCO school. Officers academy. That'll take two or three years.
Traveling and studying abroad as well as in DK.
In between military training and education in at least one branch, but certainly getting a feel for all three branches.
He can also expect to accompany his parents on an ever increasing scale both at public events at home and abroad.
And I think he will be send out working solo pretty early on, just like his father. Not least since it appears Christian is much less shy than his father was.
He is going to be very busy with his education at least until his late twenties.

I think that it is almost certain that Christian will study and or travel in Australia at some point.

I know it was brief and interrupted by Covid-19 but all four of them had a taste of studying in Verbier this time last year. I remember some posters speculating that it might be a trial run for longer term study abroad in the future.

I know it was brief and interrupted by Covid-19 but all four of them had a taste of studying in Verbier this time last year. I remember some posters speculating that it might be a trial run for longer term study abroad in the future.

It certainly gave them a taste of how it is to be taught in English and how it is to study at an international academy.
And because it was also very much a play-experience, in regards to a lot of emphasis on skiing and the fact that at least one of their parents was always around, it seems to have been a positive experience for all the children.
Because I think all M&F's children will at some point attend at the very least courses abroad or work as interns abroad.

Scotland perhaps? Back to the roots of Mary's family.
France. Frederik's roots.
USA, where Frederik had some good experiences. And Mary too IIRC.
No question about Australia. There are bonds to Australia and relatives in Australia for all M&F's children to rely on.

Right now Athena and Henrik are living out the experience of attending an international school, albeit very much in a French school-setup.
So they are prepared for studying abroad as well, should J&M return to DK later on.

Nothing new in that. That's what royal and noble young people have been doing for centuries, when they embarked on their formative travels.

Last edited:
Today 1. March is a special day for Prince Christian and many others Danish students, as today is the deadline for them to decide whether they will continue in high school after the summer holidays, or whether he wants to do something else.

Christian and his friends in 9th grade at Tranegårdskolen have most likely already decided what they want when they finish 9th grade, and it will be interesting to see what Prince Christian will do after the summer holiday.

IIRC, it’s around 1. May that the young students will be informed if they have been admitted to their education they wished for. Therefore, I maybe think that F&M and Christian don’t inform much before.

Last edited:
I think that it is almost certain that Christian will study and or travel in Australia at some point.

Is it known if Christian plans to do an Albert of Monaco and reign and speak English with a normal Australian accent? ;) That could get very amusing.

Today 1. March is a special day for Prince Christian and many others Danish students, as today is the deadline for them to decide whether they will continue in high school after the summer holidays, or whether he wants to do something else.

Christian and his friends in 9th grade at Tranegårdskolen have most likely already decided what they want when they finish 9th grade, and it will be interesting to see what Prince Christian will do after the summer holiday.

Is there any realistic possibility that someone like Prince Christian will not continue in the academic (university-bound) High School track after 9th grade ? I can't see that happening.

Last edited:
I can’t see it happening either but he still a young man in his formative years and needs to make a choice that is right for him in the end.Heaven knows History has shown us some the best or savviest Rulers were not particularly intellectual or bookish or enjoyed more study than was absolutely necessary.

In the portrait book about Crown Prince Frederik (Under the beam) Mary mentions that she and Frederik are very modern and at the same time very traditional in their relationship and life.

And that is also the impression I have of F&M in general.

So let me put it this way:
I would not be surprised if Christian goes the traditional way and chooses high school, maybe even the same high school that his father went to.

Neither would I be surprised if Christian breaks with the tradition (remember he and his siblings are the first and only Danish royal children to attend a municipal primary school) and take 10th grade at an continuation school for example with a focus on sports, and after that then attend high school.

In the portrait book about Crown Prince Frederik (Under the beam) Mary mentions that she and Frederik are very modern and at the same time very traditional in their relationship and life.

And that is also the impression I have of F&M in general.

So let me put it this way:
I would not be surprised if Christian goes the traditional way and chooses high school, maybe even the same high school that his father went to.

Neither would I be surprised if Christian breaks with the tradition (remember he and his siblings are the first and only Danish royal children to attend a municipal primary school) and take 10th grade at an continuation school for example with a focus on sports, and after that then attend high school.

Could you please explain how the Danish education system works and what options are available to the students?

In America, there is only one single comprehensive High School system (apart from some specialized arts or science schools which nonetheless also lead to the standard High School diploma). There aren't really different academic or vocational tracks as in many European countries.

As someone who is interested in comparisons between educational systems ( as I work in education, although not in secondary school ). I see both advantages and disadvantages in the European model, but I would like to understand the Danish system better first.

Last edited:
Is it known if Christian plans to do an Albert of Monaco and reign and speak English with a normal Australian accent? ;) That could get very amusing.

It could.
IMO not Christian. I don't think he will spend enough time in Australia to pick up an Australian accent.
His siblings however, is another matter. One or more of them may very well spend a good deal of their time getting educated in Australia and will as such pick up Australian sounds - perhaps ending up living there.

Is there any realistic possibility that someone like Prince Christian will not continue in the academic (university-bound) High School track after 9th grade ? I can't see that happening.

IMO no.
He will need a broad education about how the society works, politics, probably basic communication, history and so on.
So unless he really didn't have the skill to attend university at all, he is bound to attend various classes. He may not finish any of them though. That's not really important for him in his position.

Could you please explain how the Danish education system works and what options are available to the students?

In America, there is only one single comprehensive High School system (apart from some specialized arts or science schools which nonetheless also lead to the standard High School diploma). There aren't really different academic or vocational tracks as in many European countries.

As someone who is interested in comparisons between educational systems ( as I work in education, although not in secondary school ). I see both advantages and disadvantages in the European model, but I would like to understand the Danish system better first.

Very briefly and very simplified.
Having finished 9th grade, the pupils con continue in 10th grade, especially if they are still not sure what direction to go, or simply feel they are not ready for high school.
Some 60 % will go to high school for three years attending one of several main lines, like the classical mathematical or language line.
Many opt for what is basically 10th grade at a continuation school, where they live. Many if not most continuation schools have a specialty, like sports.
Some will become au pairs abroad.
Others will become apprentices, typically for 3-4 years as painter, hairdresser, technician, shop assistant and so on, with schooling in between working.
A few go straight from school to getting a job. That is actually discouraged though as it is the aim of the Parliament that all should have an education.

Some will later return to what is a kind of high school for adults, HF, lasting two years.

It is common for people who have graduated from high school or who has finished learning a trade to appear in front of the draft board, typically at 18-21 years old. In reality all who become conscripts are volunteers, some 98-99 %.
Men must appear before the draft board. Women can appear if they wish to and also sign up for volunteer conscription.

After high school many if not most will take a year off, before going to university, trade school or some other education.
That's incidentally what my daughter is doing right now. She graduated from high school last summer and is now working as a teachers assistant in an international kindergarten. In the autumn she will attend a continuation school for a few months, specializing in calisthenics. When she has finished that around Christmas, she is likely to leave the nest for good. :cry::cry::graduate:
Our son is getting his bachelor this summer.

- So Christian: High school. Perhaps six months to a year doing something else, like working on a farm in Australia or travel. Draft board and volunteer conscription. Frederik and Joachim chose the army, but perhaps Christian will chose the navy or air force. NCO-school and officers academy.
Then in his early twenties Christian will attend university, both in DK and abroad. In between he will return to the military while moving up the ranks.

His siblings are much more interesting! It's IMO most unlikely they will follow the same path as Christian.

I think Portugal has a similar system as in America. Just a single High School system, which is mandatory right now (High School was not mandatory during my days in school, I think it changed to mandatory 10 years ago or so). It is important to say that you have sciences, languages, etc, oriented lines in High School, which one is free to choose, but in the end, all we have the same High School diploma.

University now that's different, many choices from going abroad or not, going to private institutions or public, polytechnic or not...University is not mandatory and if one has the proper grades, then one is free to enroll for a Bachelor's degree and pay the tuition fee.

Last edited:
Christian is 15, right? Hasn't he been in highschool for a couple of years (since about 12-13), then?
I have only the Dutch system as reference, of course, but here it is primairyschool ages 4 to 12, highschool ages 12 to 16-18 (depending on which highschool level you attend) and then practical education/college/university, or work (but only after you've turned 18).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom