Christian, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, News Part 3: November 2015 - June 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if the children are fluent in French? I guess Frederik (and Joachim) are, with a french native father.
I would be surprised if Hendrik or Frederik did not pass this on to the children, would have been a waste if not.

Do we know if the children are fluent in French? I guess Frederik (and Joachim) are, with a french native father.
I would be surprised if Hendrik or Frederik did not pass this on to the children, would have been a waste if not.
According to our fellow poster Maria-Olivia, Fredrik's French is quite bad. I'm not very good at French myself but I think he sounds alright when speaking. To be honest I think that the children might have had a certain degree of passive knowledge when their grandfather was still alive and that it might not have been kept alive after he passed away.
I assume that they're fluent in English?

Last edited:
IIRC the Norwegian children were taken out of school for 2 month to travel the world. And their parents are still alive.:lol:
Alas, this also didn´t go without huge citisizm by the media...:whistling:

That's for sure, with an English speaking mother. And English is absolutely imperative to be fluent in.
Seems to be the same thing then as Queen Silvia and her children who barely speak german (for some reason Silvia's german has become quite odd too).
I personally cannot understand to make use of a native speaker in the family because you'll never learn as quickly as when you are child, but who am I and royals certainly have other options at hand, such as personal language trainers or terms at swiss schools, if they decide to learn a language.

Seems to be the same thing then as Queen Silvia and her children who barely speak german (for some reason Silvia's german has become quite odd too).
I've read several times that the siblings doesn't speak German but at the same time Princess Madeleine has told in an interview that she speaks German to Chris when they're out in public and wants to keep things private. Also Victoria seems to have a passive knowledge of the language but in general replies in English except for when adressed by children.

According to our fellow poster Maria-Olivia, Fredrik's French is quite bad. I'm not very good at French myself but I think he sounds alright when speaking. To be honest I think that the children might have had a certain degree of passive knowledge when their grandfather was still alive and that it might not have been kept alive after he passed away.
I assume that they're fluent in English?

Frederik's French isn't bad at all! Maria-Olivia is mistaken. I heard Frederik speak French at official occasions and at more relaxed moments. He doesn't make any mistakes, he just has a clear Danish accent.

Victoria's german is bad/halting at least nothing that you would expect with a native german mother. Too bad if it's the same way with Frederik.

Victoria's german is bad/halting at least nothing that you would expect with a native german mother. Too bad if it's the same way with Frederik.
I seem to remember Queen Silvia saying that she regrets not teaching her children her two native languages. The reason for not doing so was that she was to busy learning Swedish herself.
Going back to Frederik and his children the fact that parents speaks a language doesn't always guarantee that their children learn the language for various reasons such as an active choice by the parents, a lack of time/energy/resources or as simple as that the children themselves doesn't want to learn.

Last edited:
Alas, this also didn´t go without huge citisizm by the media...:whistling:
Yes, but it was a different situation. Haakon and MM had already taken a year off to study in London, and MM in particular wasn't known for overworking herself. IA had just started school when she was taken out again and homeschooled. And they were travelling, neither Haakon nor MM had any duties during this time.

The Danish children will attend a school in Switzerland, their mother who was one of the busiest members of the DRF for the last 15 years, will have a lighter schedule for 12 weeks and their father will continue his work and join his family when his schedule allows it.

So your comment
Just imagine the norwegian royalchildren would do likewise - Haakon and MM would get crucified....!
- as if they never have done something likewise - is quite absurd.
IMO if the Norwegians had done what the Danes do they would probably not have received much criticism.

I find this option of international school a great choice. Who knows what will happen to QMII in the future? If Frederik and Mary become King and Queen, they'll have lots of new responsabilities, and more lack of time for their children. So, this is a great choice to boarden their children's views with a different environement, while having a great quality time with family.

About another languages when you have billingual parents. I never understood why a parent that speaks a different language doesn't teach his/her children that same language. In this day and age, learning languages is a must! Just look at Shawn Mendes, he has a portuguese father and his portuguese is...questionable. Actually, he doesn't speak any portuguese, I just heard him say a few words, but hey, everyone here is fully capable of saying any words in any language we want. What a shame.

I think in the Dutch royal family, Maxima taught spanish to her daughters. But, I also think that Mary also speaks in english to her children, so they must be fluent in english. I think the best approach of all is with the Belgian Royal Family, where the children speak french at home, and went to a dutch speaking school.

Anyways, maybe Christan, Isabella, Vincent and Josephine already know some french. 3 months in Verbier will be great for them to improve their french.

Yes, but it was a different situation. Haakon and MM had already taken a year off to study in London, and MM in particular wasn't known for overworking herself. IA had just started school when she was taken out again and homeschooled. And they were travelling, neither Haakon nor MM had any duties during this time.

The Danish children will attend a school in Switzerland, their mother who was one of the busiest members of the DRF for the last 15 years, will have a lighter schedule for 12 weeks and their father will continue his work and join his family when his schedule allows it.

So your comment - as if they never have done something likewise - is quite absurd.
IMO if the Norwegians had done what the Danes do they would probably not have received much criticism.

No, they haven´t done so likewise! The asian trip 9 years ago was not just a holiday, it was educational as well. I am sure, if the Norwegian CP couple would have taken their 2 younger children out of school for further education in a private school in rich tax haven Switzerland, worldwide known for its wealth and where the the super rich do they every year skiing holidays in, for normal people, posh resorts and unaffordable chalets, a storm would break out in Norway.
No, it once again shows that some people get away with everything while others get criticized for virtually nothing, so stop posting such an absurd comment!
Don´t get me wrong: it is absolutely ok with me what Frederik and Mary do. I am not a person claiming Royalty to be just like you and I. They have prerogatives and that´s fine with me - I just found the criticism by the norwegian press towards the CP couple often unfair and unjustified.

That's for sure, with an English speaking mother. And English is absolutely imperative to be fluent in.

One of the reasons why Queen Silvia’s German may be “odd” is that she probably spoke Portuguese as first language at home because of her mother and while she was living in Brazil.

The school she attended in São Paulo, Colégio Visconde de Porto Seguro, which is actually a German-Brazilian school , now has the option of an all-German curriculum aimed at expatriates, but, at the time Silvia was a student there ( in the 1950s I suppose ? ), I believe classes were taught primarily in Portuguese and German was taught only as a second language. That would reinforce my assumption that Portuguese was indeed her primary language as a child.

Last edited:
When I first saw this on the DRF Facebook page, I thought the twins are a little young for boarding school. But now that I know more of the details, it seems like F&M have put a lot of thought into it. Frederik would no doubt have spent a lot of the month of January in Switzerland anyway. This way the family will get more time together.

It doesn’t appear to me to be a boarding school. There is no mention of boarding facilities on their website, instead it seems to cater for families living either short or long term in Verbier. Which would explain Mary and Frederik setting up an alternative home there so the children can attend. It will be an enriching experience for them all, I am sure.

It doesn’t appear to me to be a boarding school. There is no mention of boarding facilities on their website, instead it seems to cater for families living either short or long term in Verbier. Which would explain Mary and Frederik setting up an alternative home there so the children can attend. It will be an enriching experience for them all, I am sure.

A day at the boarding school - lvis

Has it been mentioned if the kids (perhaps the oldest) will be boarding or staying with Mary?

Frederik's French isn't bad at all! Maria-Olivia is mistaken. I heard Frederik speak French at official occasions and at more relaxed moments. He doesn't make any mistakes, he just has a clear Danish accent.

He received very high praise in the French media for speaking French during their recent visit to Paris. I don't think he has any issues in French :flowers:

I don't remember where I read it exactly, but I believe the kids speak English. Makes sense so they can communicate with their Aussie family.

It'll be interesting to see the agendas for January and February, like I said these are "lighter" months for the DRF.

He received very high praise in the French media for speaking French during their recent visit to Paris. I don't think he has any issues in French :flowers:

I don't remember where I read it exactly, but I believe the kids speak English. Makes sense so they can communicate with their Aussie family.

It'll be interesting to see the agendas for January and February, like I said these are "lighter" months for the DRF.

I think it is very likely the children master English at a comparatively high level.
Partly because of Mary - who probably speak English with them from time to time, and perhaps she read to them in English when they were younger.
But more crucially, we know that John Donaldson and Susan Moody have looked after the children and probably still do from time to time and there it would next sheer necessity for the children to be able to converse in English.
Apart from that Mary is visited by her relatives, in particular her sisters fairly often - and again some proficiency in English will be necessary for the children.
On top of the both Christian and Isabella (and I believe the twins too) are taught English at school. But the best English teachers here in DK are: TV and the Internet. There is no dubbing of films and series on Danish TV-channels (Except for the very young.) it's all subtitles. So you simply can't avoid picking up bit of other languages.

So if M&F's children are not bi-lingual, they are pretty close and had their grandpapa still been around and in fine form, he would have made sure they would have learned at least some French as well.
And living in Copenhagen they will inevitably pick up some Swedish as well. - Just as people living in Southern Jutland as a matter of course speak and certainly understand at least some German. And those living in Northern Jutland at least understand Norwegian, because of Norwegian tourists but also because they watch Norwegian TV.

I think I don't fully understand what you are arguing; but that's ok.

I am glad you are including the 'I'm not sure...' because I was not implying that it's wrong in any way. It's information that some might find interesting (among other things to get a feel for the type of peers they might encounter) - other than that, it's all up to each one's personal interpretation.

Well, imo that's the one and only reason the school is offering a 'spring break'. If they thought people would like to come to Verbier during other months of the year, I am sure they would offer that opportunity as well. But they must have noticed that the Verbier clientele might like to extend their winter break to a three month period but would be unlikely to come just for fall or summer.

No, not at all. I am totally fine with Marie and the children staying with Joachim in France. As I clearly stated, I also fully understand that Mary will stay with the children. The part that raises questions is that the reason for the crown prince family's absence is a 'fun family break' - while Joachim and Marie are already out of the country as well.

Right, I'm happy we solved the question of who's misunderstanding who.

Then I guess I just fail to see how it relates to the post you were quoting? Because when mentioned in this context it could seem like it was meant as a zinger somehow implying that they're wasting tax-payer money on an "educational ski-holiday." Problem is that such arguments hold very little value when aimed a group of children who's gone to a state school all of their lives meaning this will be the first time M&F's tax-payer-funded money specifically will go to their education (and which also means, re. "the type of peers they might encounter", that they, on an average, have a far bigger chance of mingling with kids outside their social class than the vast majority of the royal kids who receive their entire education within the private sector ;)).

Oh, a "fun family break" is the reason for the stay? Darn it, I somehow missed that part of the press release ? And as opposed to Marie who's doing... what? while Joachim's in school? (Should be noted that I have no problem with Marie moving to France with Joachim – but I do think it's remarkable that you find her situation unproblematic while taking issue with Mary's). In your other post you claimed M&F had somehow handpicked the spring term so that they could holiday it up for three months ("Spring term runs from January 6 to April 3. They also offer Autumn and Summer terms but those terms don't include skiing.") Now it's the school itself they've picked for ideal holiday purposes? I think if you stopped shaping the facts to fit your narrative, it would all be a bit more nuanced.

Then I guess I just fail to see how it relates to the post you were quoting?
Happy to explain. It wasn't supposed to. You may have noticed that the mods don't like back to back posts by the same member in the same thread. It has happened multiple times that several of my posts got joined together, therefore, I made sure to first respond to a specific quote and afterwards add other relevant information about their stay within the same post instead of making separate posts; as otherwise the mods would have to do/done it for me.

Oh, a "fun family break" is the reason for the stay? Darn it, I somehow missed that part of the press release ? And as opposed to Marie who's doing... what? while Joachim's in school? (Should be noted that I have no problem with Marie moving to France with Joachim – but I do think it's remarkable that you find her situation unproblematic while taking issue with Mary's). In your other post you claimed M&F had somehow handpicked the spring term so that they could holiday it up for three months ("Spring term runs from January 6 to April 3. They also offer Autumn and Summer terms but those terms don't include skiing.") Now it's the school itself they've picked for ideal holiday purposes? I think if you stopped shaping the facts to fit your narrative, it would all be a bit more nuanced.
Again, I don't have a problem with Mary staying with the children. I think she should, given that they decided to stay in Verbier for 3 months (which fits nicely with Frederik's Youth Olympic Games and their yearly skiing holiday) and send their children to school over there. I am sure they will have a great time and it will be an experience to cherish for many years.

Nonetheless, the timing is unfortunate with Joachim and Marie already being gone as well. In addition, if they just had been looking for an international educational opportunity it would not only be unlikely to exactly end up in their favorite skiing destination but it would also have been much smarter to do it either for a full year, at the start or end of the year but not in the middle of the year meaning that they have to transition twice (not only between schools but also between school systems!) within one school year. That's pretty bad from an educational perspective.

Again, I am fine with them doing it. The queen will somehow manage to hold the fort. I just don't buy the reasoning that the educational experience was the one and only nor main reason for them to take this decision, many other considerations went in to it, so I would understand if others don't buy it either and would wonder why Mary had to be gone for 3 months. That to me seems a rather nuanced approach :flowers:.

N.B. To avoid going back and forth, I won't response to any further posts in this vein but will read it. I am fine to agree to disagree, I hope you are to.

Last edited:
Again, I don't have a problem with Mary staying with the children. I think she should, given that they decided to stay in Verbier for 3 months (which fits nicely with Frederik's Youth Olympic Games and their yearly skiing holiday) and send their children to school over there. I am sure they will have a great time and it will be an experience to cherish for many years.

Nonetheless, the timing is unfortunate with Joachim and Marie already being gone as well. In addition, if they just had been looking for an international educational opportunity it would not only be unlikely to exactly end up in their favorite skiing destination but it would also have been much smarter to do it either for a full year, at the start or end of the year but not in the middle of the year meaning that they have to transition twice (not only between schools but also between school systems!) within one school year. That's pretty bad from an educational perspective.

Again, I am fine with them doing it. The queen will somehow manage to hold the fort. I just don't buy the reasoning that the educational experience was the one and only nor main reason for them to take this decision, many other considerations went in to it, so I would understand if others don't buy it either and would wonder why Mary had to be gone for 3 months. That to me seems a rather nuanced approach :flowers:.

I mean, I've wondered about the timing as much as the next girl but I also think it's a bit harsh to hold them accountable for J&M's decisions. Maybe the stay was planned before Joachim was invited to follow the training in France? Should they then just bin their plans? That seems unreasonable. Maybe they know J&M won't return so postponing it a year would be meaningless? (It could even be impossible at that point – a lot can happen in a year). Using the same logic, one could also argue that Marie should return to active duty during those 12 weeks because the family will be short on working members and that she has no practical role in France.

I also think the argument that Verbier is their go-to skiing destination and as such, they couldn't possibly have anything but an extended holiday in mind is trying a bit too hard to push a narrative. As others have mentioned, they could easily have learned about the school because they know Verbier and thought the 12-week programme a great opportunity for the children to try out if studying abroad is something they'd like.

As for the transitions, I don't know how different the English curriculum is from the Danish, so I'll refrain from commenting on the systems. But I don't see a problem in terms of the actual school transitioning – nothing that would be different if they'd opted for a stay lasting an entire semester or a full year at least. From what I gather, they'll be following a 12-week course where I presume most if not all students are new and as such, they won't be enrolled in a preexisting class and have to adapt to that (the point I was trying to get across earlier). Sure, every start is new but at least everyone's in the same boat (ski lift, if you will). They'll return to the same classes/years/forms (the same classmates, the same teachers, the same classroom). Unless they had problems before taking off, there won't be any issues transitioning back.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, I just think that if you've already decided that M&F have a specific motive for this stay, I think it's real easy to read everything through the prism of that. And that's not even remotely nuanced in my opinion, but sure, I can agree to disagree ;)

an interesting decision to send them to boarding school. i guess my concern is firstly that this seems in conflict with with denmark being the pillar of free, state school education and the CP couple sending their kids to a posh private school just sends out the wrong message.

my other question is that if the kids will be boarding anyway, why would mary have to relocate with them?

an interesting decision to send them to boarding school. i guess my concern is firstly that this seems in conflict with with denmark being the pillar of free, state school education and the CP couple sending their kids to a posh private school just sends out the wrong message.

my other question is that if the kids will be boarding anyway, why would mary have to relocate with them?

I don't really understand that argument. I mean, the tradition in the DRF – like in most other royal families – is for the kids to be sent to posh private schools. QMII and her sisters, Frederik, Joachim and Joachim's children have all been privately educated at very expensive schools (except for Felix who chose to receive his upper secondary education at a public school). Mary and Frederik were the first Danish royals to send their children to a state school. As I've said before, I too would prefer state school education for all royal kids but I fail to see how private education isn't an issue until it's M&F who opt for it. IIRC no one batted an eye when Joachim and Alexandra chose Krebs' Skole for Nikolai and Felix – that was just expected of them. Akin to how it was a huge news story when Christian wasn't sent to Krebs'.

Last edited:
Thank you for giving us the Danish perspective and relevant history

I think this is a gentle and fun way for all of them to experience going to school abroad and being completely immersed in another language, in this case English, a language they probably know well. My assumption is that since Mary will be with them she will rent a house and the children will come “home” everyday after school. Just an assumption I’m probably totally wrong.

Maybe they just want the children to consider a year away when they are older and this will give the children the information they need to make that decision.

I think this is a gentle and fun way for all of them to experience going to school abroad and being completely immersed in another language, in this case English, a language they probably know well. My assumption is that since Mary will be with them she will rent a house and the children will come “home” everyday after school. Just an assumption I’m probably totally wrong.

Maybe they just want the children to consider a year away when they are older and this will give the children the information they need to make that decision.

I agree with this. Perhaps neither of the CP children are ready to be plunged into the "deep end" and have a permanent education at a boarding school like Herlufsholm, so this move is a good introduction.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/skoleleder...-saadan-bliver-det-for-kronprinsparerts-boern

A few details from the school.

They will be taught in French and English.
The classes will have 15 pupils each.
All will be dressed the same.
As far as at all possible all pupils will be treated the same.
The atmosphere at the school will be informal.
As such it is prohibited to drive all the way up to the school in your (luxury) car and offload them.
They will have to park a little distance away. Or walk.
Access to the school and as such the children is strictly regulated.

- I read elsewhere that it was speculated that Mary (and the children) will stay at a chalet owned by a friend of theirs. The same chalet they stay at when they go on their winter holiday. So it will be familiar surroundings for all.

And the annual autumn holiday (always in week 42) here in DK has started. Usually M&F will go to Trend during this week.

- I read elsewhere that it was speculated that Mary (and the children) will stay at a chalet owned by a friend of theirs. The same chalet they stay at when they go on their winter holiday. So it will be familiar surroundings for all.

The Danish press always writes that they are staying at a "friends" chalet, mostly referring to Peter Warnoe. IIRC, he hold his chalet in Verbier some ten years ago. Billed Bladet has several times mentioned that F&M stay at rented accomodation in Verbier.

Added: "Sold" his chalet in Verbier, not "hold".

Last edited:
Sorry I got late in this one, but how long they are going and what is the name of the school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom